"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

England - page 19, Letter R.


Radcliffe, Amble

The Radcliffe Coal Company was sited at Amble quayside, Northumberland 1875 - 1955 - P.J. Davison, Brick and tile works sites in North East England, c1970.



Photo by Mark Cranston

Photo by Edith Stewart.


Radcliffe on Trent



The Radcliffe on Trent Brick Co. is listed in Kellys 1881 to 1895 editions & is then followed by one more entry in 1928. OS maps reveal that the works was still operational between 1895 & 1928 & was situated just outside Radcliffe on Trent in the hamlet of Harlequin, with the works being accessed off Grantham Road. Kellys 1888 edition lists George John Willey, Simon Barratt & Henry Parr as joint proprietors. After several other brickmakers had leased the works off N.A. Norris (land owner) & operating the works under the Radcliffe on Trent Brick Company name, the works was then purchased by Joseph Onions in 1931, who again carried on using the company name. The 1950 OS map only shows the outline of the clay pit, so it is unknown how long the works remained operational under Onions. I suspect it was until the start of WW2. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Railway Standard & Lightpill

In 1876 Samuel Jefferies is described in a Gloucestershire Directory as "coal merchant and brick manufacturer, Railway Coal Wharf, and Railway Standard and Light-pill Brick Works". Photo by Swaler Johnny.


Rainbow

Rainbow was a trade name of Samuel Evers & Sons, Homer Hill works, Netherend Lane, Cradley, Halesowen, West Midlands. Kelly's Worcestershire Directory 1892 - 1940. The red brick was made from colliery waste.  The 1940 directory states that they were a branch of E J & J Pearson Ltd making Firebricks and Fireclay goods. The works closed around 1970.  Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Kaie Martin.


James Rainer

James Frederick Rainer is listed in Kellys 1894 to 1922 editions at the Cheshunt Brick Fields, Prospect Road, Chesham, Waltham Cross, Herts. A second works at Enfield Highway is listed in Kellys 1899 to 1912 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Rainford

Rainford Brick & Tile Works, Rainford, St.Helens, Lancs. Slater's Directory 1895


Rake, Littleborough



Colin Driver writes: I recently found the above in Littleborough very near to the former Rake Inn at the bottom of Blackstone Edge Old Road. Further enquiries resulting in me finding a listing in MacDonald's 1879 Directory of the "RAKE FIRE BRICK COMPANY - Halifax Road,Littleborough. Formed in the early 1860s, in 1886 the business is listed as makers of sanitary tubes,fire-bricks, tiles, chimney pots, boiler seatings, blue bricks, ridge tiles, coping &c. They also had a depot at Lees Street in Ancoats for sales around Manchester. In 1889 the Rake brickworks passed to the Littleborough Fire Clay and Coal Company under which it continued until closure in 1896.

Photo by David Kitching.


Ralph, Preece, Davies & Co, Hereford

Richard Paterson writes: In their excellent book 'Herefordshire Bricks & Brickmakers' (Logaston Press, 2007), Edwin Davey and Rebecca Roseff identify Ralph, Preece, Davies & Co as owners of the Albert Brick & Tile Works at Holmer, Hereford. They quote an anonymous description, dated 1892, which states that the works had been 'established for about 50 years' and refer to another source which says that the demolition of the chimney stack was filmed in 1968 or 1969. Davey and Roseff suggest that, at one time, RPD may also have owned the Brickyard at Aylestone Hill, Hereford. Photo by PRBCO.


Ramrod



Ramrod Colliery & Brickworks was on Thorne Road, Whiteheath Gate near Rowley Regis and this works is recorded on two O.S. maps dated 1856 & 1902. I have found that Lord Dudley owned the colliery, so I expect he also owned the brickworks. The name Ramrod came from nearby Ramrod Hall which was built by Birmingham Iron Master William Hunt on land leased from the Earl of Dudley when all this area was all open countryside. William Hunt produced iron ramrods for the British Army at his Brades Ironworks during the American War of Independence 1775 to 1783  and this is how his home got it's name. Under mining on this land resulted in Lord Dudley repurchasing the lease back from Hunt & the hall fell into disrepair. Today a school is now built on the site of the former brickworks. Info & Photographed at Carwarden Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.

Ramsay, Newcastle

Messrs G. H. Ramsay and Co, Fire Brick Works.  The founder of this business, Mr. G Heppell, first established his brickworks at Derwenthaugh.  Expansion plans were put in hand and the largest brickworks in the area were built, capable of completing 7 million bricks per annum.  Clay used in the making of the bricks was transported from the colliery which was about 300 yards away.  Thanks to George Simpson for the contribution.

In November 1880 J T Ramsay brick manufacturer at Derwenthaugh was reported as insolvent.

Photos by Chris Tilney.

Ramsay firebricks were exported across the world. These two examples were found in Kaliningrad, Russia by Vladimir.

This example was found in a fireplace on Denmark's Baltic coastline. Photo by Kjeld Ejdorf.


Randlay, Salop

Started in 1838 by the Botfield family in Stirchley, now part of Telford.  It became the Randlay Brickworks in 1856.  The brickworks closed by the end of the 1960's with the loss of 91 jobs.  It was estimated that in the 1960s the brickworks could produce over 300,000 fiery red bricks in a week; sufficient to build 43 semi-detached houses.  More info here: http://blackcountryhistory.org/collections/getrecord/GB149_D-SSW_2_AB/. Photo by David Kitching.

Gareth found hundreds of these in woodland near Telford.



Photo taken at a building refurbishment site in Shrewsbury by Mike Shaw.

Randolph



Randolph Colliery Brickworks, Evenwood, West Auckland, Co. Durham. An example of a Randolph Colliery red facing brick, probably produced from 'seggar' mined in the former Hutton seam. Although the colliery dated to the late 1800's, the brickworks didn't start production until 1931, remaining a private enterprise despite Nationalisation of the coal workings, before finally closing in 1958. Photo and info by Arthur Brickman.

Photo by Chris Tilney.


Ravenhead Sanitary Pipe & Brick Co.

Photo by Peter Lea.

Photo by Jase Fox.

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.



Photo by David Kitching.



Found in a salvage site in Bolton by Henry Lisowski.

Photo by Henry Lisowski.

Photo by Don Boldison.

Both found on the seashore at Crosby, Merseyside.  

Fiona photographed this one in Bootle.

John Harrison has discovered that all the above are products of the Ravenhead company.  Their 1922 products book can be read here.

Found in a wall built in 1928. Photo by Friends of Williamson's Tunnels, Lynn Mills.


Ravenscar

Richard thinks the W represents the Whitaker Brick Co., the owners of the works.

Ravenscar is a village around 12 miles north of Scarborough and has been described as 'the town that never was'. At the end of the 19th Century a development company bought the headland with a view to developing a town that would rival Scarborough and Whitby as a resort. Drainage was put in, ornamental gardens created, streets laid out and named and the nucleus of a shopping centre and a few houses were built, but the investors were unimpressed. The town for which Ravenscar Brickworks was established in 1900, by the Whitaker Brick Co, was never built. Nevertheless, the brickworks, set up in an old Alum Quarry, continued in production into the 1930s and, with the benefit of its own railway siding, provided bricks for, amongst other projects, the former Odeon Cinema in Scarborough. Though the two chimneys were demolished by the military in 1960, the substantial remains of the Hoffman kiln remain on land now owned by the National Trust.  Photos and information by Richard Paterson.


Ravensworth Birtley


M F Raybould



Marshall Frederick Raybould is recorded at Park Road, Harborne, Birmingham in Kelly's 1876 to 1897 editions. With me previously finding a brick marked Partridge & Guest & Raybould of Old Hill between 1860 & 1872, I am working on the theory that Raybould left this partnership to form his own company with the Partridge & Guest company continuing at Old Hill until 1936. Info & Photographed at Carwarden Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.

W Raybould



Walter Raybould is listed in Kelly's 1899 to 1905 editions at Harborne Park Road, Harborne, Birmingham. The works had previously been operated by his father, Marshall Fredrick Raybould, see entry above. Info & Photographed at Cawarden Rec. Yard by Martyn Fretwell.

Rayleigh Brick Co



The Rayleigh Brick Co. Downhall Road, Rayleigh is listed in Kellys 1929 to 1938 editions with Lamb & Son recorded as proprietors. History of the works at this Link. http://www.rochforddistricthistory.org.uk/page/lambs_brickfields_rayleigh Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Rayner, Gestingthorpe

The Rayner family appears to have been involved in brickmaking in Gestingthorpe since at least 1863 when John Rayner is listed as a brickmaker in White's Essex Directory. Subsequent Essex Directory listings of Rayner brickmakers are as follows: -

1874 - 1894, Mrs Elizabeth Rayner, Gestingthorpe
1904. William Rayner & Co., Castle Hedingham, Halstead
1914, John Frederick Rayner, Gestingthorpe, Castle Hedingham

As the initials are missing from this brick it is difficult to determine which one of the Rayners might have produced it but its early age might suggest that it was either John or Elizabeth. Photos and info by Frank Lawson.


Read & Andrews, Bletchley

The history of this brickworks, the forerunner to the London Brick Co. in this area, is as follows;
1847  There was a local brick maker near Newton Longville.
1890 Thomas Read & Son acquired the works, later to be joined by Richard Andrews, so Read & Andrews formed.
1919  Joined by builders merchants W. T. Lamb & Sons.
1921/2  Became the Bletchley Brick Co.
1925  Started to produce 'flettons'.
1929 Purchased by London Brick Co. & Forders.
1933  New works were constructed on the opposite side of the Newton Longville to Bletchley road.
1936  Name changed to London Brick Company.
1943 Taken over by the Ministry of Supply to store ammunition in the kilns, an ordnance depot was established.
1984  Became part of the Hanson Trust.
1991 November. Works closed.  Photo and info by Nigel Furniss.


Reading, Normanton, Derby





The London Gazette dated 2nd October 1877 records James Reading, builder & brickmaker of Burton Road, Derby: brickworks, Normanton, had declared himself bankrupt & any debts not yet proven were to be declared before the 12th of October 1877 to William Holbrook, Auctioneer & Accountant of Full Street, Derby. Dated 29th of September 1877. The 1880 OS map shows two brick yards to the north-west of the village, one of which is marked as disused & it is this works which was probably owned by James Reading. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Redbank, Measham

The Redbank Brick Company is recorded in Kelly's for 1895 and was on Atherstone Road along with two other brickworks - Measham Terra Cotta  & Coronet. The company may have taken its name from nearby Red Bank Farm. In 1955 the company produced bricks and pipes. 1983 saw the company expand to produce tiles, chimney pots and terracotta. Now owned by Hanson this works closed in 2009 to be replaced by an ultra modern automated brickworks on adjoining land. The business is now owned and operated by Forterra.

Aerial photo from 1933 with Redbank in foreground with Coronet works on other side of railway line. Info by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Frank Lawson.

Both found in North East Derbyshire.  Hanson have opened a '50 million brick factory at Measham in Leicestershire built on the landfill and stock site of the old Red Bank brick works. This new factory has the capacity to produce 100m bricks a year with just 28 people.  Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo and information.



Photo taken by Jo Roesen at Broadway station Worcs, read their blog here.

Photo by Steven Pinder.


Red Hill Bank Brick Works, Rocester, Derbyshire

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Found near Wirksworth in Derbyshire. Red Hill Bank brickworks was established in the 1890s alongside another brickworks, the Rocester Works adjacent to Rocester Station. By  1922 the two establishments appear to have amalgamated into one works which was still in business in the mid 1950s. The site is now occupied by the JCB factory.  Photo and info by David Kitching.



Photographed at Cawarden Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.

Redbourn, Crowle

  Crowle is near Scunthorpe in Lincolnshire.


Redding, Cambridge



Redding & Son are listed in Kelly's 1879 to 1888 editions at Tennis Court Road, office & works, Newmarket Road, Cambridge.  Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Reddish, Beighton

In 1894 Drakehouse Colliery, Beighton was owned by Edmund Reddish & Co. and it is likely that they also owned a brickworks on or near the colliery site as I have seen references to a brickworks on Drakehouse Lane. Kelly's Derbyshire Directory 1899: - Gregory Reddish & Co Ltd., Beighton, Sheffield. White's Sheffield & Rotherham Directory 1901: - Edward Reddish, Beighton, Sheffield. Gregory Reddish Co Ltd of Deepcar, Sheffield are listed as brickmakers in Whites Directory of 1919. Photos & info by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Guy Morgan.


Redfern



Edward Redfern, Barrow Hill, Waterloo Road and Sherborne Street, Cheetham, Manchester. Slater's Directory of Manchester 1863. The 1861 census lists him as a brick maker and coal merchant employing 34 men, 7 boys and 6 women. Photo by David Kitching.

Redfern, Swadlincote



Found at Stanton, Swadlincote, Derbys. by Frank Lawson.

Redheugh Brick Co.



A product of the Redheugh Brick Company, their works on the Teams, a tributary of the Tyne near Dunston on the outskirts of Gateshead, ceased production around 1915, the company having only been in existence for some 35 years. Photo by Chris Tilney.

Photo by Steven Tait.


Redland Flettons



Found around the Hayling Island / Langstone Harbour shoreline in Hampshire by Tony Russell.


J Redrobe

James Redrobe was advertising his bricks in the local papers in 1877 although his main trade was as a slater. This paver was photographed by Mike Shaw.


Thomas A Redway


The Rill Park Brick & Tile Works was producing from 1863 - 1900. It was situated on land near to Marpool Hill, purchased from the Rill estate. Photo and information by Simon Fogg.


W. Reed & Co

Photographed at Beamish Museum. This may be connected to William Reed in the entry below.


William Reed

William Reed, St Helen Auckland, is listed in trade directories as a brick manufacturer in 1879 and 1890 and also in the 1891 census. In the 1881 census he is listed as a grocer and draper. The 1891 Kelly directory lists two more brickmakers with the name William Reed at Eldon Lane and Fylands Bridge, both close to Bishops Auckland. In the absence of any other information I believe that these are probably both the same man and that the St Helen listing is his home address. Photo by Chris Tilney who found this in Bishop Auckland.


W. Reed

Spotted in a wall in Southsea, Hampshire by Nigel Furniss.


Regd Beryl: see Berry Hill


J Rhodes, Pontefract

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Monkhill Lane Brickworks, Pontefract. Photo by David Kitching.


Richardson, Teynham

Charles Richardson's brickfield was at Teynham, Kent with his cement works at nearby Conyer. Using his own barges to transport his goods, he owned wharves at Vauxhall and Conyer. In the early 1880’s Richardson joined forces with John Francis Eastwood and four others to form Eastwoods Co. Ltd. supplying bricks to London, Kent and Essex by barge. An ever expanding Eastwoods went on to own many brickworks in Eastern and South-Eastern Counties of England including making Fletton bricks at Peterborough. See entry for Eastwoods. Photo by Tim Richardson.


Richardson, Danbury


Herbert John Richardson is listed in Kellys 1899 edition at the Danbury Brickworks, Danbury, Chelmsford, Essex. The entry in Kellys 1902 to 1910 editions is Richardson Brick & Tile Co. (Danbury) Ltd. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


J H Richardson & Co

J H & T Richardson, Rabbit Banks, Gateshead and Dent's Hole - Ward's Newcastle Directory 1850. IN 1856 Richardson was still occupying the Rabbit Banks firebrick works. Photo by Tony Gray.


W Richardson, Wordsley



 William Richardson is listed in Kelly's 1872 edition at Wordsley, Stourbridge. I have another reference to him owning the Naggersfield Brickworks located next to Naggersfield Colliery. This brickworks was situated just a short distance from Wordsley in Buckpool & is shown on a 1882 map. Info by Martyn Fretwell & Photo by Keith Hodgkins.

W W Riddell & Co., Garrison Farm



Made in Birmingham, photo by Ray Martin.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Chris Thornburn Collection.

Riddings

Riddings is a village in Derbyshire . It is located 2 miles south of Alfreton.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Photographed in Kiburn, Derby.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell who writes: It appears Riddings bricks where made in Jacksdale, Notts, by James Oakes & Co. (Riddings Collieries) Ltd.  He owned several collieries, a very large iron works, situated next to the Cromford Canal and on another site next to Pye Hill Colliery, he manufactured clay pipes and bricks.  The Oakes family lived at nearby Riddings House, an 80 acre estate in Riddings, Derbyshire.  Nothing is left to see, on either site, to remind us of these glory days of manufacturing, only his bricks!


Daniel Riddiough

Derek Barker writes: This brick was made by Daniel Riddiough. Unless I am very much mistaken brick-making seems to be the least of his accomplishments. Daniel Riddiough was born in Colne, Lancs and was also a builder and quarry owner in the Otley Rd/Killinghall Road area of Bradford. He seems to have owned what was called the Peel Park Brewery, Otley Road built in 1853. Apparently he sold this concern in 1872, but then bought it back after the new owners went bankrupt in 1882. In 1891 he finally sold out his brewery and 17 pubs to Hammonds Bradford Brewery Co Ltd but continued as a brick-maker, perhaps until he died in 1911. The brick works included a circular Hoffmann kiln and are well marked on contemporary maps at at Cliffe Lane, Bolton Road. 


Ridgefield, Castleford

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Ridgehill, Madeley

The Ridge Hill Brick and Tile Co works was in Madeley, Staffordshire. First mentioned in 1848 when it was operated by John Kennerley a local farmer. The business operated under the same name until just before 1912 when it changed to Brick & Tile Workers Ltd. The site is still in use by Marley-Eternit producing hand and machine made clay tiles. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Ridley

Reading and Staines seem to be manufacturing locations. Photo by Nigel Furniss.


Ridsdale



From the now landscaped brickworks at Ridsdale, Northumberland. These works were probably disused by 1863 as the OS map of that year shows an 'Old Brick Works'.  Photo and info by Scottish Brickmarks.

Rigley & Claxton, Heanor



Rigley & Claxton, Nelson Street, Heanor, Derbys. Kelly's Derbyshire Directory 1895.  Photo courtesy of Derby Museums. Info by Frank Lawson.

W Riley



William Riley is listed at Halmer End, Newcastle, Stoke in Kelly's 1880 edition. Info & Photo taken at Apedale Heritage Centre by Martyn Fretwell.

Ripley

Spotted in Riddings, Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell who thinks it may have been made by Slack of Ripley.


Ripley, Hillsbro

Made at the Walkley Lane Brick Works which was owned by Henry Ripley.  These were operational from 1900 to 1904. Photo by Frank Lawson.

Ripley seems to have had a Loxley works at one time as well as that at Hillsborough. Photo by Malc Gibbons.


Rippers Ltd



Rippers Ltd. was first started in 1890 by three brothers who were builders in Castle Hedingham, Essex & by 1899 they had established their builders & joinery business in Sible Hedingham. In 1924 Rippers Ltd. built 100 houses for it's workers as there was a shortage of housing in the village. So I expect this is when these bricks were made for these houses either by the company or at another local brickworks, as I have been unable to establish if Rippers Ltd owned a brickworks. More info at this Link. http://www.siblehedingham.com/History.html Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Ritson



A fairly primitive 'Ritson' brick from 1860s or '70s. Recovered from a farm building demolition at Knitsley near Consett, Co. Durham.  Research reveals that an H.Ritson was an owner of a Carr House Firebrick Works as well as the South Pontop Colliery, both at Consett, in the 1850s and '60s. Photo and info by Ian Hunter.  See the R Dickinson entry for a later product from Carr House Works.

Photos by Chris Tilney.


George Rixon



George Rixon is mentioned in the Northamptonshire archives in 1862 as supplying drainpipes from Moulton Kilns. There was a brick works on the northern side of Moulton, near Northampton, first operated by a G. Rixon, then by a succession of owners until 1901. Photo and info by Nigel Furniss.

Rixon & Co. Wellingborough



This works was started in 1870 by James Rixon & he is listed in Kelly's 1877 edition at Finedon Road bridge, Wellingborough. By 1883 James' large works included a rectangular continuous kiln & a railway siding connecting the works to the main railway line. James also established an ironworks next to his brickworks in 1866. Rixon & Co. was taken over in 1899 by the Wellingborough Iron Co. who ran the brickworks until 1927.  Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

William Roberts, Liverpool



Spotted on the beach at Crosby, Merseyside.

William Roberts, Bricklayer, Builder & Brickmaker, 70 Plumbe Street, Liverpool. Gore's Liverpool Directory 1853. Images and info from Frank Lawson.


Roberts, Tunstall

Anthony Roberts' brickyard was on Furlong Road opposite the Greengates Pottery and was later known as Newfield Marl Works.  It is only mentioned in the 1875-76 trade directory and is not listed in 1873-74 or 1879, by which time the works was being run by Charles Salt. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Joseph Roberts



Directories would suggest this brick was made by Joseph Roberts, Quarry Brick Works, Cleckheaton - 1889 to 1897, it having been found at nearby Hunsworth. Image PRBCO.

J Robin

Possibly from Lancashire.


Charles Robinson

Charles Robinson is listed as a brickmaker in Barlborough, Derbys in Kelly's 1908 edition. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Robinson, Arnold



Samuel Robinson, brickmaker in Arnold, Nottingham is listed in Kelly's 1876 to 1881 editions. Then in the 1885 to 1895 editions the entry is Robinson & Sykes, Dorket Head, Arnold, Nottm. This works was then sold to the Nottingham Patent Brick Co. in 1900 & bricks are still produced there today by Ibstock. Photo by Frank Lawson, Courtesy of Nottingham City Museums & Galleries & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Robinson, Crowle

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Robinson, Sheffield

James Robinson & Son (Sheffield) Ltd, Blagden Street, Park, Sheffield - White's Sheffield & Rotherham Directory 1911. James Robinson is listed in other Sheffield directories as follows: -
1856 - James Robinson, Intake Road, Sheffield
1862 - James Robinson, Park View, Intake Road, Sheffield
1879 - James Robinson & Son, Duke Street, Park, Sheffield
1905 - James Robinson & Son, Blagden Street, Sheffield
Photos and info by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Richard Carr.


Robinson

Robinson & Wilson, Hanford, Stoke-on-Trent 1873-1879. Photo and info by David Kitching.


G Robinson, Masbro

Photo by Ian Castledine.

George Robinson, Wortley Road, Masbrough, Rotherham is listed as a brick manufacturer in Kelly's Sheffield & Rotherham Directory 1893. Kelly's West Riding Directory of 1881 records - James & George Robinson, Wortley Road, Masbrough, Rotherham as Brick & Tile Makers. An obituary notice in the London Gazette dated November 13th 1885 records the address of the brickyard as North Greaves Brickyard, Masbrough, Rotherham. Info by Frank Lawson, photo by Ray Martin.

Found by Ray Martin at the postal sorting depot at Sutton Coldfield Park Station, originally built in 1942 as the USAAF Postal Depot. During WW2, all US forces post to and from Europe was sorted at this depot. After the war it was taken over and extended by Royal Mail.


Robson



Robert & William Robson, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1863-1908. Photo by Chris Tilney.


R C Robson, Darlington

The Robson family seem to have started as builders in Darlington and then expanded into brickmaking. Thomas Robson was a builder in 1841 and his son Thomas is subsequently recorded as a builder in 1851. By 1855 he seems to have gone into brickmaking, at a works off Brunswick Street in Darlington, in partnership with Christopher Oxendale a local timber merchant whose father was previously a builder too. In 1861 he describes himself as a Builder and Brick & Tile maker employing 24 men and 3 boys. His son Richard C Robson seems to have taken over the running of the business by 1875 and was still described as a Brick & Tile manufacturer in 1881. Also in 1861 James Clearby Robson, brother to Thomas Robson junior is also described as a Brick & Tile manufacturer employing 19 men and 14 boys. There were several brickworks around the end of Brunswick Street and his is likely to be one near to that of his brother. These works disappeared before 1890 as the area was built over. The brickworks from which Richard C Robson produced this brick for the 1875 Pilmore Bridge over the River Tees at Rockcliffe, near Darlington now lies beneath Borough Road. Photo by Ross Chisholm.


T Robson

 Thomas Robson & Co ran a brick works at Botcherby, Carlisle, from 1832 till 1863. The reverse of this brick shows that Mr Robson had brickmaking machinery using Percy's Patent improvements. Info & photo by Graham Brooks.


W Robson



W Robson, Willerby, Hull, E. Yorks. Photo by Carla van Beveren who adds: I found this while walking the Yorkshire Wolds Way, outside the village of Brantingham, near South Cave, East Yorkshire.

John Roby, Rainhill

Rainhill is close to St Helens. In the 1881 census John Roby is described as Brass Founder & Brick Maker Employing 29 Men & 3 Boys.


Rocester Brick Co.

Helena writes: I am after the dates this was known as the Rocester Brick Co ltd.  I believe this became the Red Hill Works. Can you help?


Rochdale Brick Co.

A curved end brick, found on the foreshore at New Ferry, Wirral.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.



Photo by Mike Gregg.

Rochdale Property & Finance Co: see Dearnley Brickworks


Rock Red, Leeds

Rock Red Brick Co., Fraser Road, Burmantofts, Leeds. Kelly's West Riding Directory 1908. Probably associated with Rock Colliery (Burmantofts), Leeds. Owned by Wilcock and Co. The works was closed and dismantled in 1914 when items for sale included a Bradley & Craven No.1 brick making machine and a 20 chamber Hoffman Kiln. Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


G Roe

George Roe of Cromford Road, Ripley is recorded in White's Directory for 1857. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Roe & Son, Hanford



Roe and Son are listed in trade directories between 1860 and 1876 as brickmakers at Hanford, Stoke-on-Trent.  Photo and information by David Kitching.  From the Ken Perkins collection.

T Roe



T. Roe & Son are listed as making red bricks at Siddals Road, Morledge, Derby in Kelly's 1864 & 76 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Rogers



A modern brick made by a company in Oxford and used for outside garden walling.  Photo by Steve Cotgrove.

Rogers, Wheal Remfry







All made at Wheal Remfry Brick & Tile Works SW929577. Photos by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Romiley



Photo by Paul Marshall.

Romiley Plastic Co.



Dureda was the trade mark of the Romiley Engineering Brick Co according to the 1931 List of marks, trade names and trade marks on bricks tiles, stone and sanitary ware. Photo and info by David Kitching.

Rosemary

In 1876 the business was listed as George Warburton Lewis, Rosemary Hill, Cheslyn Hay, Walsall. Later it bexame G W Lewis Tileries Ltd., Rosemary Brick & Tile Works & Walkmill Tileries, Cannock, Staffs. This was followed by Rosemary Brick and Tile Co Ltd. of Rosemary, Coppice Lane, Cannock, Staffordshire. Manufacturers of clay products (bricks and roofing tiles).  In 1984 Redland acquired the company.  Photo by Don Boldison.

Photo by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Tony Gray.


Rose Hill



Rose Hill is in Marple, Stockport.  Photo by Alan Hulme.

Rosher's (Ipswich)





The Rosher Brick & Tile Co. are listed in Kelly's 1892 to 1900 editions at Whitton, Ipswich. This brickworks was taken over by Bolton & Laughlin in 1901. Info & photos by Martyn Fretwell, courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection. Also see A. Bolton & Bolton/Laughlin entries.

Rotherham

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Rother Vale

Found by Simon Patterson in Barlborough, Derbyshire and Harthill, South Yorkshire - only 2 miles apart.   R V stands  for Rothervale, the brickworks was at Thurcroft near Rotherham and was associated with Thurcroft Colliery which was owned  by the Rothervale Company.  Thanks to Frank Lawson for the info.

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo


Rough Hay Brick Co. Darlaston



Found by the old police station near All Saints Church, West Bromwich, photo by William Whitehead.

Rougham

This brickworks at Battlies Green, Rougham was an estate brickworks belonging to Rougham Hall & was operational between 1890 & 1939. Info & Photographed at the Museum of East Anglian Life by Martyn Fretwell.


Roughdales

Photographed on the seashore at Crosby, Merseyside. Photo by Frank Lawson.

Roughdales Brick & Coal Co. Ltd., Sutton, St.Helens. Slater's St Helens Directory 1885. Info from Frank Lawson, photos by David Kitching.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Rouse



J.B. Rouse & Sons are listed in Kellys 1916 & 25 editions at Frostenden, Suffolk. The family also had another works at South Cove. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

R L Roveries



Photo by Mike Shaw and by courtesy of the Nick Southwick collection.  Made in Lydham, Shropshire.

Henry Rowbotham

Probably Henry Rowbotham, Preston Street, West Gorton is listed in Slater's Manchester Directory for 1877. In 1879 he is listed at Wilton Terrace, Moston Lane, Harpurhey. The exact location of the brickworks is unknown. Henry Holt collected examples of this brick in Chadderton and Ellenbrook Street, Gorton. Photos by David Kitching.


Rowfant

Photo and info by Richard Symonds:  Brickfield south of the former railway at Rowfant, nr Worth, Sussex. NGR TQ 330 365.  In existence by 1875; marked as Rowfant Brick Works from 1912 onwards and said to have closed in the early 1960s, although it was referred to as Hundred Acres Brickworks, Turners Hill in 1972. James Terry advertised from 1875 to 1907. George Wells, who had another brickyard south of the former railway at Grange Road Station, Crawley Down, took over the yard. After WWII it was run by W. Harbour & Sons, of Copthorne. The map of 1910 shows a railway line into the works and 7 kilns: three circular and four rectangular.


Rowland, Dukinfield



William Rowland was operating a brickyard at Birch Lane, Dukinfield in 1857. The letters on the original brick refer to John Rowland, Dukinfield, his father, who died in 1856. Photo and info by David Kitching.


Rowland, Stapenhill

Rowland, Stapenhill. Found in Kellys Derby edition of 1876 only. Info by Martin Fretwell, photographed at Cawarden by Nigel Furniss.


Rowlands Castle



Photo by John Morley



Kelly’s 1920 edition lists The Rowlands Castle Brick & Tile Works with Alfred Piggott as manager, Rowlands Castle, Havant. Then it’s Rowlands Castle Brick Tile Works, W.G. Tarrant Ltd., proprietors in Kelly’s 1927 edition. Info by Martyn Fretwell. Found around the Hayling Island / Langstone Harbour shoreline in Hampshire by Tony Russell.

Rowley Station



This is a paviour brick.  Photo by Alwyn Sparrow.  Martyn Fretwell writes: Rowley Station Brick Works Co. (David Cook Manager) Cakemore, Blackheath, Dudley is recorded in Kelly's 1900 edition.

Royal Oak, Whiston

Whiston is between St Helens and Liverpool.


Royal Potteries, Weston Super Mare

Charles Phillips born 1816 in Badgworth, Somerset was already skilled at the potters wheel by the age of nine.  John Mathews was a native of Scotswood in Northumberland.  Mathews acquired the sole patent to Pooles patent bonding Roll Tile.  Conway Gould Warne was formerly a potter in Rochester in Kent, Warne invented two new products, a land drain well and an electric cable trough.  The Royal Potteries started probably around 1837.  In 1847 the clay in Weston was  pronounced by competent judges to be of better quality than any other in the country.  By the late 1930s a thousand workers were employed there.  In 1952 the Pottery received its last Royal order for 126,000 flower pots to be used in the Coronation displays around London.  Weston pottery was then still considered to be the best in the country.  The Pottery went into voluntary liquidation in November 1961.  Thanks to John Biggs for the photos and information.


Royshaw, Blackburn

Royshaw Brickworks Co., Royshaw Brickworks, Blackburn. The brickworks was established in 1887 by William Matthews. It was rebuilt in 1932 by the Royshaw Brickworks Co.and was later taken over by John Woods Brick & Tile Co. Ltd. of Bog Height Darwen. It closed in the early 1950's. Info by Colin Driver.


Rubric: see Monk & Newell (Ruabon, Wales)


Rudd & Son, Grantham



Kellys 1876 edition lists Rudd & Son at Brick Kiln Lane, Spittlegate, Grantham. Kellys 1885 to 1905 editions then records him at Wharf Road, Grantham, but this will have been his office address. Entries in Kellys 1909 to 1930 then gives the works address as Springfield Road. Old maps have revealed that Brick Kiln Lane was renamed Springfield Road. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Rudgwick

Harold Tate, a builder and master brickmaker, started the brickworks at Rudgwick in Sussex c1928. After closure for the duration of the war and the death of Harold Tate in 1940, the Fawke family brought the works back into production in 1947. New machinery boosted production to 45,000 bricks a week and then in 1963-5, the works was modernised with an automatic brick making machine capable of producing 250,000 bricks a week. Baggeridge Brick PLC, based in bought out Rudgwick Brickworks Co Ltd in 1998, and in 2006 they in turn were taken over by Wienerberger who operated the works until closure in c2010. There were no kilns and the 1m brick clamps were still built by hand right to the end. Photo by Richard Symonds.

More information about the works can be found here.


Rufford, Stourbridge

Photo by Alan Murray-Rust





Front and back of a Rufford brick. Both sides have the faint imprint of the wording on the opposite side too. Photos by Ray Martin.



An ancient Rufford example spotted at Sunbury Plantation House, Barbados by Paul Hughes.  It probably arrived there as ships ballast.

Made in Stourbridge by Rufford & Co. A history of the business can be found here.


Rufus

Rufus (Proctor Bros.) Brick & Tile Ltd, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire.  The brick yard was situated in the Bradwell Wood area near Parkhouse colliery (coal & clay).  This brick was found in the woodland of Bradwell Wood in 2002.  The yard also made roof and floor tiles and eventually closed in the 1970's.  The clay (marl) in this area was dug out from the hillside of the woodland as opposed to the conventional method of extracting from marl holes.  Thanks to Ken Perkins for the photo and history.

Photo by David Kitching.


Rugby Brick Co

The Rugby Brick Co., Ltd. is listed as a manufacturer of Common Bricks in the 1901 Directory of Clayworkers. The office address is given as 84, James Street, Rugby. It is also listed in the 1900 Kelly's Directory but not before or in 1904, so appears to have been a short-lived affair. The 1904 OS map shows a disused brickworks to the south-east of the town in the Bilton area. Photo by David Tilsley.


Rushbrooke



 Kellys 1888 edition lists William Rushbrooke at Westley, Bury St. Edmunds, but this may have been his home address. Kellys 1892 edition then lists William with the address of Rushbrooke, Bury St. Edmunds. Delving into the web has revealed that Rushbrooke village & Rushbrooke Hall where named after the Rushbrooke family, but alas William Rushbrooke's family were no longer the owners of the Hall or village in 1892. We then find that William Rushbrooke is listed in Kellys 1896 & 1900 editions as brickmaking at Little Whelnetham, Bury St. Edmunds. The 1882 & 1903 OS maps do show a brickworks in Little Whelnetham (det.). This village is marked on maps in two places with the main part of the village being on the southern edge of the Rushbrooke Hall Estate, however the brickworks was situated in the Little Whelnetham marked as det. (= detached) & near to the entrance driveway to Rushbrooke Hall, just north of Sicklesmere. I am thinking that William Rushbrooke was at this Little Whelnetham brickworks from 1888 to 1900. Just to note that the site of this former brickworks is today farming land on the edge of Sicklesmere & is no longer marked as Little Whelnetham. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Rushden Brick & Tile



In the 1851 census a Jeremiah Litchfield and a Thomas Hardwick were recorded as brick makers in the Rushden area.

1864 - 1884 a Robert Octavius Butcher was operating a small brick yard with a single kiln, he was recorded in the trade directories as a grocer and brick maker.

By 1894 the large works of Rushden Brick & Tile Co., founded by John Clark, was in operation using a continuous kiln. The whole site of 116 acres was served by a tramway system, and there was a sand pit to the east of the works. During the 1880's and 1890's they were working at full capacity to keep the builders supplied as several new streets were being built. On 15th June 1900 the works was struck by lightening causing '300 of damage and throwing a number of men out of work for some weeks. A 1933 letterhead shows that they were a limited company making hollow partition and flooring bricks, agricultural drainpipes, red pressed and wirecut bricks, and supplying silica sand and ganister for cupola lining and general refractory purposes. By 1st May 1941 the whole works, plant and machinery, steam engines, boiler, rails, etc. was up for sale.

Photo and info by Nigel Furniss.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

Rushforth Adwalton

Photo by Darrell Prest.  The works of Rushforth, Adwalton, is officially the 'Drighlington & Adwalton brickworks'; it is simple to find being now owned by a Brewers Fayre Restaurant. The original chimney remains as do a portion of the works buildings, now converted into a Premier Inn & Restaurant. Some memorabilia, in the shape of letters to Rushforths, are on display. This works is unquestionably the source of [RUSHFORTH][ADWALTON] bricks, very commonly found in Bradford 20th century buildings.  Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.  

One of many variant stampings from this site. Works operated cl893 to c1985, Adwalton Brickworks, Drighlington, West Yorkshire. Image PRBCO.

Found in Leeds. Photo by David Kitching.



Found by the River Wharfe, not far from the village of Ryther, North Yorkshire, by Carla van Beveren.

Found in Cheshire. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


George Russell

George Russell, Cadborough Brick and Tile Works, Rye, East Sussex.


Russell, Sileby



Made by Thomas Russell of Sileby in Leicestershire. He was listed in three directories of 1876, 1877 and 1881. In the directory of 1877 he is listed as being in Brook Street Sileby.  Photo and info by Dennis Gamble.

Ryarsh Yard Kent

Found by Hugh Owen on the foreshore near the site of the demolished Carmarthen Bay Power Station.

Neil Hanson writes: The Ryarsh brickworks was started by my father, Harold Hanson. Not sure of the year, but the majority of bricks produced were sand-lime white bricks. A much harder grey coloured brick was made, but was not favoured by builders as they preferred traditional red bricks. Both white & grey bricks were stamped RYK for Ryarsh Yard, Kent. My father was Managing Director at the yard when he died in 1953, but the works continued for several more years. The brickworks is shown on the 1936 OS map as being situated south of the village on School Lane, Ryarsh.


Ryder Openshaw

John Ryder & Sons Ltd., Brunswick Street, Ashton Road, Openshaw, Manchester. Slater's Salford & Manchester Directory 1895. Photos by Frank Lawson.

Photos by Jason Stott.


Rye: see George Russell


J H Ryley, Louth



Photo by Martyn Fretwell taken at the Museum of Lincolnshire Life, Lincoln.  Martyn writes :- James Hunter Ryley, Chequer-gate Louth is recorded in Kelly's 1861 edition, followed by Mrs. Betsey Ryley, works Eastgate, Louth in Kelly's 1876 edition.
Next page: English bricks, page 20, Letter S 
Return to the England index page