"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

English bricks page 4 - Letter: B


Ba to Be: below       Bi to Bo       Br to By


B. C.

Found in Suffolk by Simon Patterson.


B H B F Ld, Essex



Photo by Frank Lawson.

Babbington Coal Co

Babbington Coal Company, Cinderhill Road, Cinderhill, Nottingham. Kelly's Nottinghamshire Directory 1904 - 1936. Babbington Colliery, also known as Cinderhill Colliery, was a coal mine in Cinderhill, Nottinghamshire. The mine opened in 1841, and was the first large-scale coal mine in the county. The Babbington Coal Company was founded in 1839 to work shallow mines near Babbington, a hamlet some 2.5 miles (4.0 km) to the west of the later colliery. Babbington Colliery had a long life, and did not close until 1986. Colliery history here. Photos & info by Frank Lawson. 


Backworth

Some info by Arthur Brickman: The actual Backworth Brickworks was established in 1937 adjacent to the Blue Bell Pit in Shiremoor, its products originally being marked as such, but once it was realised that the 'Blue Bell' name had already in used by a Scottish manufacturer, the 'Backworth' name was adopted, the site being part of the Backworth Collieries 'F' Pit, which when nationalised became 'N.C.B Backworth', finally closing in 1965.

A brickworks was established beside the Blue Bell mine in 1937 by Backworth Collieries. It comprised a 16-chamber Hoffman kiln with a 124 feet high chimney. Shale from Holywell was used, producing a red-coloured brick. A Bradley and Craven machine press made mostly common bricks, firstly marked BLUE BELL but later stamped BACKWORTH, to avoid confusion with another firm using the same name. Production in the 1950s averaged 120,000 bricks per week. The works closed in 1965. Source: P J Davison - "Brickworks of the North East"


Backworth Colliery Co

Backworth Colliery Co., Backworth, Northumberland. Photo by Mark Cranston.

Photo by Chris Tilney.


Baggaley Huddlesford

Charles Edward Baggaley is listed as a brickmaker in the trade directory for 1876 but not 1872 or 1880. The most likely location for the works is the Griffinfield Brick Yard by Cheadle's Bridge on Coventry Canal. This appears on the 1884 OS map and had three rectangular kilns.  Photo and information by David Kitching.


Baggeridge

Martyn Fretwell writes: Sedgley, Dudley, 1944 to present. I think it's not modern, as it was found with other old bricks, possibly from the 60's.  Found in a garden in Hucknall.



Photo by Ray Martin



Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.



This brick came from an old occupational bridge over the Blisworth to Northampton railway ( now derelict), found by Nigel Furniss.. This bridge served as a footpath from Furnace cottages to a tramway on the other side of the railway, canal and river Nene, where ironstone was mined. The railway was part of the Northampton to Peterborough line, built in 1845. This brick is from the bridge parapet so it must have been rebuilt at some stage in it's life.

A modern Baggeridge brick. Photo by Colin Morris.

Nigel Furniss adds: The brickworks at Sedgley were once part of The Earl of Dudley's Baggeridge colliery, producing bricks as a by-product of the mine from 1936.  The bricks were made from colliery shale and local Etruria Marl clay from a nearby quarry, and was so successful that it was made a separate company in 1944. The company concentrated on producing bricks for the rebuilding program after the 2nd World War.  The company was taken over by Austrian firm Weinerberger in 2008, but since 2011 has been derelict and there are plans to demolish the works.


Bagnall

Found at Walton near Wakefield and made by G & H Bagnall, Greenhill Road, Wakefield.  List in Kelly 1912, info by PRBCO, image by Richard Bagnall. More information about the Bagnall family and brickworks can be found here.


Bagworth



The Bagworth Brick Co. Ltd. is listed in Kelly's Leicestershire Directory from 1908 to 1916 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Bailey, Horsley

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.



Front and back of a Bailey brick.  Thomas Bailey is listed in Kelly's Directory's from 1881 to it's 1908 editions at Horsley, Derby. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Bainbridge

Muschamp Bainbridge was an owner of South Medomsley Colliery in the 1860's. Found by Chris Tilney a few miles south of Durham.


Baker



Photo by Richard Symonds, taken at Amberley Chalkpits Museum.

John Bakewell & Sons Somercotes

John Bakewell is first listed at Birchwood, Somercotes, Derbys in White’s 1857 edition. John is
next listed in Kelly’s 1864 edition at Somercotes. Kelly’s 1876 edition then lists John as John
Bakewell senior & he continues to be listed at Somercotes up to Kelly's 1904 & 1908 editions when
the entry is John Bakewell & Sons same as this brick. Kelly’s 1912 to 1925 editions now record the
Bakewell Brothers, so I am taking it John’s two sons were now running the brickworks. Photo & Info
by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Darren Haywood


Balby

Balby Brickworks, Tickhill Road, Balby, Doncaster. Balby brickworks has had several owners of which one was Cockings (also of Misterton, Notts). Cockings became part of the Yorkshire Amalgamated Brick Company who closed the works in the late 1960's. Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Baldwin

Made at the H. J. Baldwin Brickworks in Bunny, Nottinghamshire, thanks to Alan Murray-Rust for the photo and Geoff Hollis for the information.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Thanks to Alan Murray-Rust for the photo.

Found in Mansfield by Martyn Fretwell.



This cable cover was found in the Ardeer/ICI Bogside site in Irvine, North Ayrshire by D Babbington



Found by Andy Keasley whilst renovating a 1930s house in Staffordshire.

Photo by Alan Hulme.

Photo by Ian Suddaby.


Balfour & Co

Oldfield Colliery in Fenton and its associated brickworks was owned by Balfour & Co in the 1880s. The colliery passed on to another company, Lane End Works Ltd. by 1889. Photos by Tim Lawton.


C Ballam, Creekmoor



Charles Ballam is listed as brickmaker in Creekmoor, Poole in Kelly's 1895, 1911 & 1915 editions with him also owning a second works at Upton, Corfe Mullen, Poole. Info & Photographed at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

J Ballard & Co, Stapenhill

Ballard & Co. are listed in Kellys 1876 to 1884 editions at Stapenhill, Burton on Trent. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Ballard, Ledbury and Colwall

 Martyn Fretwell writes. Robert Ballard was brickmaking in New Street, Ledbury from the 1840's to around 1867, producing bricks from clay which had been brought to the yard via the Hereford & Gloucester Canal from Burton's Farm which was situated north-west of Ledbury. Robert was also a builder, contractor & brick & tile merchant. It was his nephew Fredrick Ballard who was brickmaking at Colwall from 1890 to 1910 & Fredrick had learnt his trade at Hamblet's in West Bromwich before moving to Colwall.



  Photographed at Butcher Row House Museum in Ledbury by Richard Paterson.



Photo courtesy of Hereford Museum and Gallery, Herefordshire Museum Service. Martyn Fretwell writes :- Fredrick Ballard was the brickmaker at the Colwall brickworks between 1890 & 1910 & more can be read at this Link.

Balm, Denholme

S Balm & Sons, Denholme, West Yorkshire. Denholme lies on the Keighley - Halifax Road. 
Date of operation c1875. Image PRBCO.


Balmforth & Tottey



Found at Old Snydale near Featherstone, West Yorkshire. This crude mid-19th century building brick was probably made by Bamforth & Totty at Greenhill, Eastmoor, Wakefield. Listed in Kelly, West Riding, 1867. Image PRBCO. 

J Barber





White's History and gazatteer of 1856 mentions a John barber at Stanley and his occupation as a brick maker, it can therefore be assumed that he owned the brickyard and also the land where the pit was later dug.  Photo coutesy of Derby Museums.  Info by Frank Lawson.

Miles Barber



Miles Barber is listed in Kelly's 1864 to 1881 editions as brickmaker in Barlborough, Derbyshire. Miles was also a builder & he built the 42 houses that once stood on Barbers Row, Low Common, Barlborough. Photo & Info by Tony Bak.  More info here.



White's Derbyshire Directory 1857: - Barber Miles, contractor and builder, fire brick and tile maker, and colliery owner.   Kelly's Derbyshire Directory 1864: - M Barber, Barlborough, Chesterfield. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Bardill & Son





Bardill & Sons, Horsley, Derbyshire.  Photo courtesy of Derby Museums.

Bardill & Bailey





Bardill & Bailey, Horsley, Derbyshire.  Photo courtesy of Derby Museums.

Barker & Co, Bowburn

ellys Durham Directory for 1914 lists Barker & Co, Bowburn brick works, Quarrington, Coxhoe. Tom Barker won a handball championship in front of 7,000 people in the early 1900s. He used his winnings to establish a brickworks on the site of Bowburn's first colliery. Barker offered the works for sale in January 1916 when he stated that it was capable of producing 10,000 bricks per day. B C B could stand for Barker Co Bowburn or Bowburn Colliery Brickworks. Photo by Chris Tilney


Barker, Ingleton

Brickworks operated c1895 - 1905 and listed as James Barker, Ingleton Fireclay Works in Kelly 1897 and Robinson 1904. 'Barker also built brick kilns in Great Milner Field above Dolands and produced bricks with BARKER / INGLETON inscribed in the frog'.  Source: Bentley, Bond & Gill, Ingleton Coalfield, 2005, Northern Mine Research Society. Ingleton, North Yorkshire. Image PRBCO.



Photo by Ian Suddaby.

Photo by David Kitching.


Barlboro and Cottam

Formed in 1909 a consortium of local business men trading as PH Haaggensen & Co. re-opened Cottam No. 2 Colliery, Barlborough near Chesterfield, renaming it Hazel Colliery. The associated brickworks operated as the Barlborough & Cottam Brick Co. Ltd. & this company is listed in Kelly’s 1912 & 14 editions. The colliery closed in 1914, but the brickworks remained open until 1917 & was operating as the Barlborough Brick Co. when it closed. Photo by Frank Lawson, information by Simon Patterson and Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell, Cottom is a mis-spelling of Cottam



Found on Slayley Lane Barlborough by Phil Jervis.

Barlow

Derek Barker writes:  It appears that there were four 19th century Northamptonshire brick-makers called Barlow. Two brothers, Frederick & Charles Barlow, owned a brick field in Burton Latimer in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Frederick Barlow also owned a brickworks at Rothwell to say nothing of steam joinery works, lime-kilns at Rushton and a monumental masons workshop and branch office in Horsemarket, Kettering. His brother, Charles Barlow, evidently became involved with Burton Latimer's business and civic development. He seems to have owned and exploited iron stone in the area and also to have owned several shops.

The brothers probably made the illustrated brick but there were also Edward Barlow, brick & tile maker of Stamford Road, Kettering and another Charles Barlow, brick-maker of Scaldwell. He is present in the censuses for Scaldwell from 1861-1891 as a brick & tile maker, and must have been born in 1834.

Probably: - Edward Barlow (and from 1898, Frederick Barlow), Stamford Road & Rothwell, Kettering. Kelly's Northamptonshire Directory 1890 - 1910

Possibly: - Either - Joseph Barlow, Moulton, Northampton.
Or - Charles Barlow, Scaldwell, Northampton.
Or - C Barlow, Burton Latimer, Kettering.
All of whom appear in the Northamptonshire Trade Directories at various times from 1890 to 1914

Photos by Frank Lawson.


Barlow

Alfred Barlow was a significant building contractor in the Potteries and surrounding areas in the 1860s. He was responsible for the building of the Wedgwood Institute in Burslem amongst many other public buildings. He is listed as a brick manufacturer in a trade directory for 1865 at Railway Works, Stoke-on-Trent. His business got into some financial difficulties in April 1868 with liabilities of £27,000. It appears that arrangements were agreed to deal with his cash flow problems and the business continued until his death in late 1868 or early 1869. The Railway Works was situated at the junction of the Derby and Stafford branches of the North Staffordshire Railway and close to Stoke roundhouse loco shed. At this location were Barlow's workshops but I doubt there was a brickworks. Either he had a works elsewhere or the bricks were made for him by another manufacturer. I suspect the latter. Photos by Martyn Fretwell.


Barlow Faija

Nathan Barlow was operating a brickworks at Portland Street in Hanley in 1879 and this brick probably came from this works when he was operating in partnership with Henry Faija in the late 1860s/early 1870s. Henry Faija was an engineer who came from  Newcastle-upon-Tyne in 1868 and became managing partner at the Railway Foundry Company,  Stoke-on-Trent. During this period he was engaged in constructing bridges and other works for the North Staffordshire and Market Drayton Railways. I wonder whether the demand for bricks to construct these railways led Faija to go into the brick manufacturing industry with Barlow. He removed to London in 1871 where he set up as an engineer on his own account. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Barlow, Hanley

Nathan Barlow was operating from Portland Street in Hanley between 1879 and 1887 but does not appear in trade directories for 1875 or 1896. In 1889 he is listed as Nathan Barlow, Boothen Brick and Marl Company, Cobridge. Photo and information by David Kitching.

Photos by Martyn Fretwell.


Barlow, Wednesbury

Found in Rugeley, Staffs.  Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Henry Barnes

Barratt's Bury Directory 1880: - Barnes Henry (exors. of), grocers, butchers and brickmakers, Pits o' th' Moor, Bury. Info by Frank Lawson, photos by David Kitching.


Edward Barnett, Walsall Wood



Edward Barnett is listed in Kellys 1872 edition at Pelsall & Walsall Wood. Then Kellys 1876 edition records Edward Barnett at the Springfield Blue Brick & Tile Works, Walsall Wood, Walsall & at Pelsall. In the 1892 edition the Springfield Works address is given as Stubbers Green, Walsall. Kellys 1900 to 08 editions records Edward Barrnett (exors of) at the Springfield Works. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Samuel Barnett & Sons

Samuel Barnett & Sons, Rattle Chain & New Stour Valley Brick
Works, Dudley Port, Staffs., Common Reds, Brindles & Blue Bricks. Photo by Nigel Furniss.


Barnett & Beddows, Walsall

Barnett & Beddows Ltd., Atlas Brick, Pipe & Tile Works, Stubbers Green, Aldridge, Walsall, Staffs. Kelly's Staffordshire Directory 1900 - 1940. Atlas was their trade name. It is thought that Barnett & Beddows was formed through a partnership of Walsall brickmakers as prior to the 1900 directory John Beddow and Edward Barnett operated as independent brickmakers in the Aldridge area. At some time in their history Barnett & Beddows incorporated both the Hamblet Blue Brick Co of West Bromwich and the Manners Brick Co of Eastwood, Notts. The works is still operating as part of the Wienerberger empire. Info & photo by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Chris Deacon.

Photo by David Kitching.

Spotted in Riddings, Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell

Martyn Fretwell notes that the Coronation of Edward VII should have taken place on the 26th June, but was delayed because the King took ill two days before the event it eventually took place on the 9th August 1902.

Photos by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Sue Hogan,

The Staffordshire Knot is stamped between the letters. Photo by Jason Stott.



These commemoration bricks were made for the royal wedding, apparently 1,000 were sold in the first week!

Barnsley Metallic

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by Simon Patterson.

Found near Penistone by Frank Lawson.


Barony, Haydon Bridge

 Made at the site formerly operated by the Langley Barony Fire Clay Co.  The Langley Brickworks, south-east of Haydon Bridge in the Tyne Valley, made high-quality glazed sanitary ware trademarked 'Baronite'. After this finished the works was taken over by Gordon Wardle of Haltwhistle who used local shale to make red facing bricks until 1958. Photos by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Chris Tilney.


Barrass

The London Gazette for 28th March 1848 has a notice referring to the firm of Barrass and Company at Heddon Fire Brick Works, Heddon on the Wall, Northumberland. Photo by Chris Tilney.


Barrow - Furness: see Furness


Barrows Bros, Thurmaston, Leicester



Photo by Dennis Gamble.

F W Barrows, Great Bridge, Tipton



Photo by Alwyn Sparrow.

Barry's Scarborough

These three bricks are products of the Seamer Road Brickworks in Scarborough, sometimes known as Barry's Lane brickworks. This was the first of four brickworks in the town with quarries working the soft shales of the Upper Estuarine Series which were crushed for brick making. It was also the longest lasting and the largest.  Seamer Road brickworks were set up by a local building contractor, stonemason and architect John Barry some time prior to 1850 when he also set up the manufacture of stoneware and patent marble . On John Barry's death in 1866 his son Willam Barry took over the brickmaking side of the business and bricks were stamped WB. From the 1880s the brickworks were leased out to a local estate agent and property developer Frank Horner. From the early 1930s the brickworks operated as Scarborough United Brickworks - See separate entry
The brickworks ceased production about 1965.


Probably Barrys Stoneware and Sanitary Pipes, from a house of about 1866.



from a house of 1852 - a John Barry product



From a house of 1870 - a Willam Barry product. Photos and info by Chris Hall.

Basex: see Pickford, Holland & Co.


Basford: see T Williams


Basford, Burslem

George Basford is first listed in 1864 as a manufacturer of blue and red floor tiles at Ellgreave Street. Basford Brothers brickworks is listed at Dale Hall, Burslem in 1868-70 and in 1873-79 as owned by James Powell Basford. The brickworks was on the south side of Ellgreave Street with a small clay pit by the road and one round kiln. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Basin Co., Stoke

The Basin Brick and Tile Co works was in Whieldon Rd, Fenton. It is listed in the 1896 Kelly's trade directory and as a limited company in 1904. It does not appear in the 1912 edition. Photo and information by David Kitching.

This brick was found in Fenton and it is believed to be a Basin Co product. Photo by Greg Julian.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Alan Davies.


Batchelar & Fenton, Brockham

Photo and info by Richard Symonds. The Batcheler & Kenton website can be found at http://www.brockhamhistory.org/business-and-industry/lime-works/ and more can be found at http://www.derelictmisc.org.uk/bhl.htm


Bates, Heddon

Produced at Heddon Colliery brickworks when owned by John Moor Bates. Photo by Chris Tilney.


J Bates, Sedgley



James Bates is listed as owning the Deepfields Fire Clay & Brick Works, Coseley, Staffs in Kellys 1868 to 1892 editions. Kellys 1896 edition then records Bates's works with the address of Ettingshall, Wolverhampton & later editions up to 1940 records the works with the address of Manor Road, Ettingshall. The 1885 OS map shows the Deepfields Works on the north side of Biddings Lane, Deepfields, Coseley. This works is no longer shown on the 1901 map. So by 1896 the Deepfields Works had relocated to Manor Road, Ettingshall & this new works is shown on the 1901 map & is named as the Deepfields Fire Brick & Clay Works on the 1919 map. Coseley & Ettingshall where both in the Manor of Sedgley up to 1897. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

W S Batley

William Short Batley, Parkgate, Rotherham. White's Rotherham directory 1868.

William Batley appears to have had an interest in several brickmaking concerns as is evidenced by this extract from The London Gazette dated March 30th 1880: - The Bankruptcy Act, 1869. "In the County Court of Yorkshire, holden at Sheffield. In the Matter of Proceedings for Liquidation by Arrangement" or Composition with Creditors, instituted by William-Short Batley, late of Parkgate, in the parish of Rawmarsh, in the county of York, but now of 58, Earl Marshal-road, Sheffield, in the said county, William Martin, of Fitzwilliam-road, Eastwood-vale, in Rotherham, in the said county, and William Hartley, of Wilson street, Castleford, in the said county, all carrying on business in copartnership, at Parkgate aforesaid, as Sanitary Pipe and Brick Manufacturers (formerly in partnership with James Russell Swift), under the style or firm of Batley, Mastin, Hartley, and Co., and the said William Short Batley also carrying on the business of a Brickmaker, in copartnership with Benjamin Fish and the said James Russell Swift, at Fir-vale, in the parish of Sheffield, in the said county, under the style or firm of Batley and Co., and also the business of a brick maker, in copartnership with Mary Ann Watkinson, the said James Russell Swift and William Anderson, at Richmond-hill, in the parish of Leeds, in the said county, under the style or firm of Batley, Watkinson, and Co., and the said William Hartley carrying on the business of a Brick and Sanitary Pipe Maker, as Trustee under the will of the late Joshua Hartley, in copartnership with his co-Trustees thereunder, Everett Hartley, Charles Ibbotson Hartley, and Joshua Hartley, under the style or firm of Joshua Hartley and Co,, at the Victoria Clay Works, at Castleford aforesaid. The creditors of the above-named William Hartley who have not already proved their debts, are required, on or before the 8th day of April, 1880, to send their names and addresses, and the particulars of their debts or claims to me, the undersigned, Andrew Macredie, of 26, George street, Sheffield, Accountant, one of the Trustees under the liquidation, or in default thereof they will be excluded from the benefit of the Dividend proposed to be declared.—Dated this 25th day of March, 1880. A. MACREDIE, J. W. BELLAMY, Trustees."

William Batley was also the owner of a firebrick manufacturing business at Totley to the south of Sheffield in the 1880s and 1890s.

Photo and info from Frank Lawson.


Batley Mastin & Co



The 1879 trade directory has Batley, Mastin, Hartley & Co as manufacturers of bricks and sanitary pipes at Parkgate, Rotherham. In that year the partners got into financial difficulties and it is uncertain whether their brick business survived thereafter. Photo by Antony Meadows.

Battersea

A Refractory brick which was possibly made by The Morgan Crucible Co. of Battersea. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Battledown Brick Co Ld

Reverse of brick.

Battledown Brick Co Ltd., Hales Road, Cheltenham, Gloucs. Kelly's Gloucestershire Directory 1914: - Webb Brothers Ltd., 10 Colonnade & Battledown Brickyard, Hales Road, Cheltenham. Info from Frank Lawson.

The Reverend Arthur Armitage formed the Battledown Brick Company Ltd and set about a major modernisation programme.around 1863. In 1890 Armitage leased part of the Brickfield at Battledown to two brothers, Harold Arthur and Roland Julian Webb. In 1894 they purchased the Company as a whole and a new era began which was to last for over 65 years. The process of the run-down and sale of Webb Brothers Ltd.'s assets began with the serious decline of the brick business in 1956 and terminated in the spring of 1971, when the Board took the unavoidable decision to close down the Company. Information taken from "THE BATTLEDOWN BRICKWORKS" by David A. O'Connor. For a full history of the business visit: - www.gsia.org.uk/reprints/2002/gi200204.pdf.


Baxenden Accrington : see Lancashire Brick Co


Bayliss



Frank & William Bayliss are listed at Speedwell Road, Hay Mills, Yardley, Birmingham in Kelly's 1915 edition. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Chas. Bayes, Kettering



Charles Bayes is listed in Kellys 1890 edition at Rothwell Road, Kettering. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

Baylies, Tamworth

Thanks to Christopher Dixon.


Beach



W. Beach & Son is listed in Kellys 1912 edition at Rainsford Road, Chelmsford then in Kellys 1914 edition at Whittle, Chelmsford. The next entry for W. Beach & Son is in Kellys 1925 edition at Roxwell Road, Chelmsford, so I can only assume the works closed during WW1 & then re-opened when there was a demand for bricks again. There are two articles on the web recording that two of Beach's workers had died in WW1 at a very young age. I have directories up to 1937 listing W. Beach & Son. The year the works closed is unknown & all three works addresses in Kellys are the same works. Today Beachs Drive occupies the site of the former brickworks. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Beacon Hill, Dorset



Recorded as the Beacon Hill Brick Co. in 1937, this works had been started by Charles Ballam in the 1890's & Charles is listed in Kelly's 1895, 1911 & 1915 editions at Upton, Corfe Mullen, Poole. He also owned a second works at Creekmoor. In the 1950's when production at Beacon Hill Brickworks was at it's peak they produced good quality hand moulded bricks from the white Beacon Hill clay using a continuous Kiln with the company employing 50 men on a 12 hour shift. The works was still owned by the Ballam family when it closed around 1980 with David Ballam running the company. Info & Photographed at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Beacon Hill Brick Co. (Newark)



The Beacon Hill Brick Co. are listed in Kelly's 1904 & 08 editions at Beacon Hill, Newark. Photo & Info by Mike Chapman.

Beals Wood

The Bealeswood Brickworks at Gunnislake was started c1850 by Thomas Westlake. It grew to be the largest brickworks in Cornwall but closed n 1914. Photo by Merryn G.


Beard



Mark Cranston suggests that this could be from the brickworks of George Beard at Hartpury near Gloucester who was made bankrupt in 1872. Found at a recycling yard in Merthyr by Hywel Thomas.

Beardsley & Pounder

Photo by Frank Lawson.



Beardsley & Pounder are first listed in Wright’s 1882 edition at Rutland Wharf, Ilkeston, but they had taken over the Wash Meadows Brickworks which was adjacent to Rutland Wharf from the Potter Family by May 1876. A report in the London Gazette states that Solomon Beardsley and William Pounder, brickmakers of Ilkeston, were dissolving their company by mutual consent from the 29th day of January, 1892 & all debts due to and owing by the said late firm would be received and paid by the said Solomon Beardsley.— Dated this 29th day of January 1892. Solomon Beardsley continues to run this brickworks together with his son John & they are listed as S. Beardsley & Son in Kelly’s 1895 to 1900 editions. Solomon died in 1895 & son John together with his brother William continued to run S. Beardsley & Son to 1900 when the works closed. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

It appears the plate to make this Beardsley brick had "& Pounder" removed after their partnership had been dissolved, saving a bob or two on the making of a new plate. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Frank Lawson.


William Beardsley & Sons

William Beardsley & Sons, Cotmanhay, Ilkeston, Derbys.

Martyn Fretwell writes ;- William Beardsley, born 1835, is listed as brickmaker in Cotmanhay, Ilkeston in Kelly’s 1876 to 1887 editions. The 1881 census records William as a Lace & Brick Manufacturer, but all other census listings only record him as a Lace Maker. Living on Ash Street, Cotmanhay in 1881 William’s brickworks was two fields to the south this street. William had two sons & the 1881 census records Frederick as a coal merchant (previously a Lace Maker) & Arthur as a Lace Maker, so it appears neither of these two sons were brickmaking with their father, but they were included in the company name on this brick. Kelly's Derbyshire Directory 1881 & 1887. Photos by Frank Lawson.


Bearpark Colliery

Photo by Chris Tilney.

Found in a structure on the Cassop Waggonway in County Durham. Photo by David Wigham.



Found at Langley Park, West Durham. Thanks to Davie Barrass for the photo.

Photo by Anthony E Gray.

Bearpark Coal & Coke Co. Ltd., Bearpark Brickworks, Bearpark, Co. Durham. Photo by David Kitching.

Photo by Chris Tilney.


Beaty, Kingstown & Thursby



Made near Carlisle, photo by Frank Lawson, info by Peter Hughes.





Also known as East Curthwaite. Originally opened by Robert Lucock in 1831. It was managed by a variety of his relatives both before and after his death in 1854. It eventually closed in 1879. It re-opened in 1882 by Mr. Beaty, who ran the works until 1888 when they closed and he moved to the Kingstown Brick Works.  Photos and info by Graham Brooks.

Believed to be James and Thomas Beaty and probably made at the Thursby works in the 1880s. Photo by Chris Graham.


J Beaty & Co

John Beaty & Co was running the Crown Brickworks at Cumwhinton in the 1890s. The business seems to have closed by 1924. Info and photo by Graham Brooks.


Beaulieu



This brickworks was on the Beaulieu Estate. Today the brickworks buildings have been converted into a holiday let. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Beddow, Walsall Wood



Photo by Frank Lawson courtesy of the PRBCO collection. Martyn Fretwell writes :- William & John Beddow are listed in Kelly's 1860 to 1876 editions at Aldridge, Walsall. The 1880 listing is then John Beddow with & Sons being added in 1896 & this entry continues until 1940. The Barnfield Works & Northywood Works are listed from the 1892 edition & the Victoria Brick & Tile Works are added from the 1896 edition. The works entry from 1916 to 1940 editions is just Aldridge, Walsall.

Bedworth Brick Co Ltd



Bedworth Brickworks was on the east side of Bedworth Station and is shown on maps of 1902, but was in existence by 1899. It had two large continuous kilns. A siding opened in October 1900 to serve the site, the "Traders to pay a yearly sum of £20 to the railway company for the use of". There was a stable at the end of the siding for horses. It is thought that the brickworks closed by 1902 and in October 1906, the London Gazette stated that 'The Bedworth Brick, Tile & Timber Co. to be dissolved & struck off the register'. The siding was transferred to the Exhall Colliery & Brickworks on 27th June 1907, then closed on 1st July 1919. Information by Nigel Furniss and Peter Lee. Photo by Nigel Furniss.


Bedworth, Brick, Tile & Pottery Co Ltd

Photo by Steve Chaplin.


Bede



Made at the Bede Brick and Pipe Works, Hebburn, Tyneside.  Found at Eshott, Northumbria. Photo by Mark Cranston.

Beech's Patent

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Beeley



Beeley Bros, Sutton in Ashfield.  Brothers Samuel Hibbert Beeley & Fredrick William Beeley (the company was established in 1743) are recorded as builders & contractors, also farmers at High Pavement, Sutton in Ashfield in Wright's Directory for 1899. The company being recorded up to 1941 in White's Directory. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Beeston: see Clayton & Speight


Beighton



Rather a battered example of a Beighton brick.  Made at Beighton near Sheffield, photo by Frank Lawson.

Belgrave



Made in Leicester, photo by Peter Harris.



This brick came from a factory where one of the main bricks used was Belgrave Brick Co., Barkby Road, Leicester.  Photo and info by Dennis Gamble.

Bell

Made by Bell Brothers Ltd, owned by Sir Hugh Bell, at South Brancepeth Colliery, Page Bank, Durham. Photo and info from Ian Suddaby who found this in the Hexham area.

Found at Stanhope Quarry by Robert Anderson.



Photo by Steven Tait.

.

Photo by Chris Tilney


R Bell

The Bell brickworks was in Byers Green, Durham and seems to have operated from the 1870s to 1921. In 1879 the owner was Robert Bell but by 1891 this was Frances Bell, who was born at Ipstones in North Staffordshire, and in 1911 his son Thomas Bell is listed as a brick manufacturer. The trade directories from the 1890s list the business as Mrs Frances Bell even though Frances was a widower in 1891. Photo by Neville Akers.


Belle View, Linthorpe



Photo by courtesy of the Ian Stubbs collection.

Belling Patent



Found near Pocklington, Yorkshire by Don Boldison.

Belper

Spotted in Riddings, Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell.


Lord Belper, Kingston on Soar

Lord Belper open a brickyard at New Kingston in 1886 & it was operational until 1913. The works consisted of a boiler house, chimney stack and three clamp kilns. The yard manufactured bricks stamped with the letter ‘B’ (for Belper) & they were mainly used at Lord Belper's gypsum quarry works in Kingston. In 1979 the clay pit was filled in & by 1987 the site was levelled and all trace of the works removed. Info from this site & Photo by Martyn Fretwell, courtesy of Nottingham City Museums & Galleries.


Belvoir

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Martyn Fretwell writes :- Belvoir bricks were made by the Vale of Belvoir & Newark Plaster Co. in Orston. Notts. and the works is listed in the brick makers section of Kelly's Notts 1904 edition as the Belvoir & Newark Plaster Co. at Orston sidings, G. N. Rly. & Lowfield sidings, G. N. Rly. Newark (2nd works). Started in 1864 the company only made bricks during the summer months at this date as their core activities were producing plaster & gypsum. Up to 1873 Hardy & Co had been share holders in the company, but after this date Hardy & Co. purchased the company & continued to trade under the same name until the Orston works closed in 1928. I expect that many of the Belvoir bricks which have been found were made when this works was under the control of Hardy & Co.


Benfield & Loxley, Oxon



Kellys 1907 edition lists Benfield & Loxley as brickmakers at Sandford on Thames, Oxfordshire; & builders & contractors at Bullington Road, Oxford. Info by Martyn Fretwell, photo by Frank Lawson.

Bennett (Suffolk)



Martyn Fretwell writes: I have found two Bennett brickmakers for this Suffolk made brick. Thomas Bennett is listed at Layham, Ipswich in Kelly's 1869 to 1888 editions, then White's 1892 records Thomas Bennett, exors of, while Kellys 1892 edition lists Mrs. Bennett as owner of the Layham works. The second option is Fred Bennett & he is first listed at Wherstead, Ipswich in Kelly's 1900 edition then at the Long Street Brickworks, Ipswich in Kelly's 1912 edition. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

John Bennett, Basford

This brick was found at Cawarden Reclamation and is believed to be from the Basford Bank, Stoke-on-Trent, brickyard of John Bennett who is listed in trade directories from 1851 to 1870. Photo by Nigel Furniss.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Joseph Bennett, Basford





Joseph Bennett, brickmaker, Brick Kiln Lane, Basford, Stoke is listed in trade directories from 1869 to the 1892. Then in the 1896 to 1908 editions, the listing is for Bennett & Son, Basford. He took over the works from his father John c1869. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Found at Pyenest Street, Etruria. Photo by Tim Lawton.


Richard Bennett, Kings Newton, Melbourne

Photos by Frank Lawson.





Front and back of R Bennett, Melbourne.









In 1879 the Nottingham Patent Brick Co. first used machinery made by Richard Bennett of Derby to produce wirecut bricks.  Info & Photos by Martyn Fretwell.


Richard Bennett, Tamworth: see under coping bricks


Thomas & Richard Bennett, Derby

Two sides of a brick from the Spondon works.

These two bricks above have no stamp on the reverse side.

Thomas Bennett, born 1806 in Stapenhill established his Slack Lane Brickworks, Derby (also listed as Uttoxeter Road) around 1849. Thomas was operating a second works in Spondon by 1857. Kelly’s 1868 Staffs. edition records Thomas was operating the Spoutfield Tileries works in Cliff Vale, Stoke. The Bennett rev. Derby brick by Ken Perkins with it being found together with several more in the Stoke area are thought to have been made at the Spoutfield Tileries works. With Joseph Bennett (no relation) producing blue bricks at his nearby Basford works it is thought that is why Thomas Bennett stamped his bricks, Derby. Thomas’ son Richard joined him at the Derby works & after Thomas' death in 1871 Richard went into partnership with his brother-in-law Henry Leese. Richard Bennett in Kelly’s in 1881 edition is listed as producing red, white & blue bricks at his four brickworks, Uttoxeter Road, Derby, Spondon, Melbourne (actually in Kings Newton) & Tamworth (blue bricks). Henry Leese died in 1882 & Richard was now in full control of the family business. Around this same time Richard Bennett was manufacturing brick making machinery as well & he then went into partnership with engineer William Sayer & both companies ran side by side. Richard Bennett died in October 1885 & the brickworks were first run by Richard’s executors, then later they operated under the company name of Bennett & Sayer until 1932 when the Derby Brick Company purchased Bennett’s last remaining Slack Lane Brickworks. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

This brick (two images above showing both sides) is thought to have been manufactured at Bennett's Spoutfield Tileries in Stoke-on-Trent. Photo by Ken Perkins.


Thomas Bennett, Derby



Thomas Bennett is listed in Kelly's 1881 edition at Parcel Fields, Slack Lane, Derby. Then in the 1887 edition at Sinfin Lane, Sinfin, Derby. With this brick having California on it's reverse, I think that this Bennett is the same one as the brick stamped Bennett, Holmes & Kay, who are recorded in Kelly's 1876 edition at the California Brick Works, Stockbrook Street, Derby. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Bennett, Holmes & Kay

Bennett, Holmes & Kay are listed at the California Brickworks, Stockbrook Lane in Kelly's 1876 edition & this is the only entry for the trio. Information received states they were at this yard in 1874. We next find that the works was divided into two & new buildings & kilns were erected with Thomas Bennett owning the original California works & John Holmes owning the new works. Both brickmakers later moved, Bennett to the Parcel Terrace Works in Derby, then another move to a works on Sinfin Lane, Derby & Holmes moved to a works at Melbourne Junction, Sinfin, Derby. Before becoming a brickmaker Thomas Bennett who was born in Burton on Trent had been a boot maker & grocer. I have found no family connection of Thomas Bennett being related to Thomas Bennett & his son Richard Bennett at the Slack Lane brickworks in Derby. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Bennett & Leese



The partnership of Richard Bennett & his brother-in-law Henry Leese had been formed by 1876 & Kelly’s 1876 & 1881 editions record the duo as owning works at Derby & Spondon. Henry Leese in the 1871 census was recorded as a Commercial Traveler (salesman). This partnership also shared Richard Bennett's works in Kings Newton in the Parish of Melbourne in 1881 and this is recorded on the reverse of the brick above. The other Bennett & Leese brick has nothing on the reverse & due to the colour of this brick, this will have been made at the Spondon works. Henry Leese died in the autumn of 1882. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.



Red & blue brick works, Derby. Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.


P W Bennitt

Pynson Wilmot Bennitt is listed in the Worcestershire Post Office Directory for 1876 as a Brick Manufacturer at Littlefields, Oldbury. The 1871 census shows him as MA Oxford and Brickmaster employing 14 men, 4 women, 7 boys and 13 girls. In 1881 he is shown as employing 30 hands and by 1891 he had ceased business and was living off his own means. Photo by Theresa Casey.


Thomas Walter Benson

Photo by Chris Tilney.



Found by Vladimir in Kaliningrad, Russia.

Photo by Steven Tait.

Thomas Walter Benson & Co, Bell's Close, Scotswood, Northumberland is recorded in the 1873 Post Office Directory and Kelly's for 1883. In later years he ran his father's colliery and brick businesses along with his brother William Robert Benson. (See William Benson). Photos by Chris Graham.


William Benson



A casual find from the site of the Fourstones Lime Kilns, Northumberland, once operated by William Benson, together with Fourstones Colliery and the Quarries to the north of the village. William Benson owned the Montagu Main colliery along with associated brickworks at Scotswood in the later 19th century. Kelly's Directory for 1883 has William Benson & Son, Montague Main Colliery, Scotswood, Northumberland; manufacturers offirebricks, lumps, quarls, chemical pipe &c. Brand 'Benson'. The business is still listed in Ward's directory for 1916. Photo by Arthur Brickman.

Photo by Tony Gray.

Photos by Chris Tilney.

Photo by Steven Tait.


A. Benson, Salford



The brick was found within the foundations of a late 19th-century rubber works on Greengate in Salford. Alfred Benson appears to have commenced business as a manufacturer of sanitary wares, firebricks, refractory tiles and chimney tops on Bloom Street in Salford in the mid-1890s, and is referenced as such in a trade directory for 1895. Benson & Co is listed in a directory for 1903, again as firebrick manufacturers, but had moved premises to Regent Road in Salford by that date. However, the firm appears to have ceased trading shortly afterwards, as it is not listed in a directory for 1911. Photo and info by Ian Miller.

Bentinck

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Martyn Fretwell writes: Records show that bricks were produced at Bentinck Colliery, Kirkby in Ashfield, in 1933 and again in 1940. The Colliery was owned by the New Hucknall Colliery Company at Hucknall under Huthwaite near Mansfield. ( not to be confused with Hucknall Torkard near Nottingham ) where the company only had a pit. The village is now just known as Huthwaite, Sutton in Ashfield. The Company also produced bricks at Welbeck Colliery, Meden Vale, near Warsop, Notts.  A Mr. Fenwick is recorded as chairman of the Company until the nationalisation of the coal industry in 1947.  Also see entry for NCB Welbeck.


W Bentley

Photo by Alan Davies.





William M Bentley, Heyhead brickworks, Edgworth, near Blackburn. Photos by Frank Lawson.

Bentley

The original Bentley brickworks used reclaimed mine waste. The first record in Kelly’s is for Mills and Walton in 1896 followed in 1900 and 1904 by Bentley Brick Co. and was located near Bentley Colliery. The bricks were pressed from surface shale from mine waste and fired in a continuous Hoffman kiln. Photo and info by Ray Martin.


Bentley Hall, Walsall

The Bentley Hall Brick Company Ltd. was founded in 1933. The 1938 OS map shows the Hoffman continuous kiln capable of burning over 200,000 bricks a week and 3 rectangular kilns on the site.  Photo by David Kitching.



Photo by Frank Lawson courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.

The Bentley Hall Brickworks was started in 1933 at a different site near to Pouk Hill, northeast of Bentley Hall. Bricks were made from excavated clay. See http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/articles/Darlaston/RO5.htm for more details. I suspect that the Bentley Hall and Bentley Hall / Walsall bricks were early production, later bricks being stamped BHBCo. until the works closed in 2002. Two BHBCo bricks were found buried in my garden, the house was built 1961. Photo and info by Ray Martin.


Bentley Tileries





Bentley Tileries Ltd, Bradwell Wood Tileries, Tunstall, SOT. traded between 1930's & 1966. BCM means British Commercial Monomarks, a company formed in 1925 to provide manufacturers with a London address and mail forwarding service. Photographed at Cawarden Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.



Hand made, photo by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Paver at the Apedale Museum.


Bern-ard: see Wilkinson, Burslem and Longport


R Berry, Bury



Photo by courtesy of Colin Driver.

Photo by Jason Stott


Berry Hill

Berry Hill Brickworks, Kingsley, Stoke-on-Trent, photo by Simon Patterson.



Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection



Spotted on the beach at Crosby, Merseyside



John Slater owned the Berry Hill collieries and brickworks having purchased them in 1914. In 1918 he set up John Slater Ltd to operate Berry Hill and New Haden (Cheadle) Collieries. Photo and info by David Kitching.



Photographed at Gladstone Pottery, Stoke by Martyn Fretwell.





A product of Berry Hill Collieries Ltd in the 1930's.  Photos by Greg Julian.

See also John Slater.


William Bartholomew Best



William Bartholomew Best is listed in Kelly's Trade Directories at the Cross-O'-Cliffe Brick & Tile Works, Bracebridge, Lincoln in it's 1872 to 1889 editions. After 1889 this works became part of the Lincoln Brick Co.  Photo and info by Martyn Fretwell.

Bestwood Coal & Iron

Bestwood Coal & Iron Co. Ltd.  Martyn Fretwell writes :- Photographed this brick inside the Winding Engine House at Bestwood Colliery, Notts. Both the brick and iron works closed in 1928, the pit carrying on until 1967. Now set in Bestwood Country Park, the Engine House is well worth a visit. 


Beswick, Knutsford

A brickworks existed adjacent to the saw mill on Bexton Lane in Knutsford from at least the 1870s. By the 1880s the operation was in the hands of Joseph & John Beswick of Knutsford Steam Saw Mills, timber merchants, contractors and builders. They are listed in the 1896 Kelly's Directory but not in 1902.  Photo and information by David Kitching.


James Bettany, Longton



James Bettany is listed as a brickmaker living at 130 High Street, Longton, Staffordshre between 1860 and 1862. Photo by Ken Perkins.

Betts, Diss



William Betts is listed as brickmaker at Bakers Barn Brickyard, Redenhall, Harleston, Norfolk in Kellys 1896 edition. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Next page: English bricks, page 4a, Letter B: Bi to Bo 
Return to the England index page