"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

England - page 20, Letter S:

Sa to Sk: below 

       Sl to St          Su to Sw

S W B: see Foss


Made by the Charlaw & Sacriston Coal Company in County Durham. Photo by Tony Gray.

Photo by Steven Tait.

St Day

St. Day is near Redruth in Cornwall.  St Day Brickworks, making bricks and tiles, was founded in 1860 and closed in 1912.  Grid ref:SW728423.  Photo by Ian Castledine.

Photos by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

St. Helens

St Helens Colliery was situated north of Workington near the village of Siddick, photo by Chris Graham.

St. Johns Colliery

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  St John's Colliery was at Normanton near Wakefield and was operating a small brickworks just south of Newland Lane in 1892.  By 1907 the works had been moved to a site on the north side of the road.  It continued to appear on OS maps into the 1970s, but had been demolished by 1985.  Info by David Kitching.

St Pancras Iron Works

The St. Pancras Iron Works, London, Patent Stable Pavior.  Photo by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Dan Gregory. Advert for works.

J M Sadler

James Millership Sadler is recorded in the 1861 & 1871 census as a Brick Master employing 14 men & 3 boys in 1871. This was at Paddock brickworks in Oldbury. He died in 1874. Photo and info by Martyn Fretwell.

John Sadler

From a well known local brickmaking family, John Sadler is listed as brickmaker at Shidas Lane, Oldbury in Kelly's 1876 edition. This entry continues until it's 1904 edition when the company is recorded as John Sadler & Sons Ltd. & this listing continues until the 1936 edition. The company of John Sadler had been started as early as 1841 by John Sadler - senior who had taken over the works from his father. In the 1851 Census, James Sadler is listed age 34, victualler and brick master employing 3 men 10 women and 30 girls. John - senior was then followed by his son John - junior & then in turn by his sons through to 1936. The site eventually expanded to seven acres is now the local refuse tip. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Frank Lawson.

Sadler Bros. Oldbury

Kelly's 1870 & 72 editions lists the Sadler Brothers as operating the Paddock Brickworks in Oldbury & then the 1876 edition lists them at the Stourbridge Brickworks in Oldbury. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Chris Thorburn Collection.

S A Sadler

Sir S. A. Sadler, Ltd., operated a number of collieries in Durham and also produced bricks. It has been suggested that this brick may have been made at a works in Witton-le-Wear. The company is noted as restarting production after WW2. Samuel Alexander Sadler is also noted as taking over the lease of Fylands Bridge brick and tile works, Bishop Auckland in 1900. In 1914 he is listed as manufacturing bricks at Etherley Grange Colliery, Bishop Auckland. Photos by Chris Tilney.

Photo by Ian Suddaby.

Photo by I G Hunter.

This early example is thought to have been manufactured in the brickworks at Sadler's Malton Colliery in the Lanchester area of County Durham. Photo by Ben Coult.

Saint Cross

Made at the Saint Cross brickworks near Bungay, Suffolk. Examples include red and white bricks with an odd blackened one as well. Photo and info by Andy Warnes.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


 also see the entry for


Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Spotted in Riddings, Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell.

Found at Flagg, Derbyshire by Michael Hardy.

Salvation Army Land Industrial Colony

The Salvation Army Land Industrial Colony, Hadleigh, Southend, Essex was started by William Booth of the Salvation Army in 1891 and the works consisted of three large brickfields turning out 300,000 bricks per year. More can be read at this link. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

J Sames, Birmingham

Photographed at Cawarden Reclamation, Rugeley. Jacob Sames is listed in Kelly's Birmingham 1878 & 1879 editions at Garrison Lane. The 1893 edition now records his works as the Atlas Brickworks, Garrison Lane. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

J Sampson, Exeter

John Sampson Brickworks, Polsloe Road, Exeter. This works operated from 1881 - 1910. Photo & Info by Simon Fogg. For further information about brickworks in the Exeter area see Exeter's Brickworks.

Sandhill, Calstock

B Johns & Co, Sandhill brickworks, Drakewalls, Calstock. Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.


Made by Sandholme brick & tile co, Sandholme, East Yorkshire.  The brickyard was adjacent to the long closed Hull and Barnsley Railway.  Photo by Carla van Beveren.


Made by Sandiacre  Brick Co. which according to the London Gazette was voluntarily wound up in 1875. Sandiacre is a village on the Nottinghamshire / Derbyshire border close to Long Eaton.  Photo and info by Frank Lawson.


Sandysike Brick Works, south of Longtown, Cumbria. Photos by Steven Tait.

Sankey, Bulwell

Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell who writes: Sankey's brickworks at Bulwell is listed in Kelly's 1881 to 1885 editions as Sankey's Bulwell Brick & Tile Co. Ltd. Hempshill Lane, Bulwell with George Kemp as manager. Bricks may have only been produced between 1881 & 1885. Sankey's were more well known for producing clay flower pots which they made at there Bulwell Pottery works which was situated a little further north of their brickworks. Sankey's continued to produce clay flower pots until 1976 when they then made them of plastic. The pottery works relocated to Bennerley Road & their former site is now Sankey Drive. Sankey's became part of the Fiskars Group in 1999.

Sankey, London

Photo by Steven Tait.

Found on a Renfrewshire seashore by Ian Sinclair

  Found at the disused brick works at Stoke Bruerne (near Towcester, Northants). Photo by Nigel Furniss.

A Scottish made example.

This may be another firebrick supplied by Sankey. Photos by Ian Suddaby.

Photo by Mike Chapman.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Chris Tilney.

Photos by Mark Cranston.

Photo by Malcolm Muir.

JOHN HART SANKEY & SON was established in 1857 as a cement, lime and fire brick merchant of of Essex Wharf, Canning Town, London, E and The Hill, Ilford, Essex.  I don't believe that the business actually manufactured any bricks and bought them from a range of manufacturers stamped with the company name.

Sansbury Brick & Tile Works, Colne

This works opened before 1890 and closed about 1925. Mark Cranston has tracked down an article that shows it was sold in 1893 to an unknown buyer after the death of the owner, Jonas Smith. Seen at Craven Lime Works near Settle, North Yorkshire. Photo and info by Ian Suddaby.

Photo by Phil Burgoyne.

Sarn, Westbury, Salop

Found near Welshpool, Powys

Two very old Sarn/Westbury bricks sent in by Michael Shaw

Mike also found this double curved coping brick near the brickworks site.

Seen in a garden near Shrewsbury by Mike Shaw.

All seen in the former works managers house at the brickworks.  Photos by Mike Shaw.

W Satchell

William Satchell, Hillmorton, Rugby is listed in Kellys 1900 & 04 editions. The works is recorded in Kellys 1868 to 1892 editions as being owned by John Gilbert Satchell, so William had taken over the yard by 1900. Info by Martyn Fretwell, photo by David Kitching.

Saunders, Chesterfield

Photos by Frank Lawson.

Charles James Saunders produced bricks at Storforth Lane, Hasland, Chesterfield between 1887 and 1941, and at Newbold between 1887 and 1908. In 1937 he was also in Brockwell. Photo and info by Martyn Fretwell, brick from the David Penney Collection.

Found by Simon Patterson near Barrow Hill, Derbys.

Harry Saunders

Harry Bryan Saunders, Colne Road, Coggeshall, Essex is listed in Kelly’s 1902 & 1908 editions. Today the houses on Priors Way are built on this small brickworks site. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

J Saunders, Sandiacre

Info from a notice that appeared in the Ilkeston Pioneer newspaper in 1882 - Sale of Brick & Tile Works on Bostock Lane, Sandiacre, previously owned by John Saunders. This works is being sold by Mr. Thomas Neale at his mart on Wheelergate, Nottingham on Wednesday 9th August 1882 at four o'clock precisely on behalf of the Mortgagee. So it appears that John Saunders had not kept up on his repayments & the bank or building society was selling the works. We then find that T. Sellers is the next owner of this works as recorded in Kelly's 1887 edition. Photo by Frank Lawson & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

J & W J Saunders : see Poltimore

George Savage

Photo taken near Northampton by Brian Orton.  G. Savage is listed in Kelly's 1854 edition at Stoke Bruerne, Towcester, Northants.

George Savage had brickworks at Stoke Bruerne, Towcester & Blisworth, and in 1910 when his executors took over, Greens Norton. Found at the site of Napton Brickworks by Nigel Furniss.

Savage & Co

George Savage is first listed at the Albert Brickworks, Bordesley Green in Kelly's 1878 edition having purchased the works from his partner Thomas Williams with whom he had run the works since 1876.
Savage invested heavily in his Albert Brickworks to produce his quota hoping to make a profit. He installed a Hoffman type kiln with the capacity to hold 500,000 bricks, three new drying sheds & three clay mills. A steam engine was installed to raise the clay via a tramway from the clay pit. Steam was also used in the drying of the bricks before firing. The business was unsuccessful and Albert Brickworks was offered for sale in February 1884. Subsequently the works was purchased by a London company which also invested heavily to no avail and the works was closed by 1888. Info by Martyn Fretwell, photo by Angel Rose.

Savage & Williams

Although stamped Garrison Lane the Albert Brickworks is shown on a 1889 map as being on road called Bordesley Green which joins Garrison Lane at Five Ways. George Savage is recorded in Kelly's 1878 & 1883 editions as owning this works & I think the W in this partnership is T. Williams. Please see entry for T. Williams, Green Lanes. After Savage had spend all his savings on the company, the works was put up for sale in 1884. The Bordesley Green Brick Co. later restarted this yard around 1895. This is the year that the Bordesley Green Brick Co. first appears in Kelly's, producing bricks using the Hoffman type kiln built by Savage until 1902. Also see entry for Bordesley Brick Works, Charles Road. Just to note this Charles Road works is the same works as the Albert Brickworks with it now being accessed off the newly built Charles Road. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Chris Thorburn Collection.


James Savidge is listed as a brickmaker at Creech St. Michael in Somerset between 1861 and 1866. He died in 1871. Photo by Daniel Hughes.

J Sawyer

Found on the beach at Crosby, Merseyside by Alan Hulme.

Joseph Sawyer was a builder living in the Waterloo area of Crosby close to Liverpool. In 1861 he was listed in the census as a Bricklayer and Brickmaker employing 50 men and 15 boys. Photo by David Kitching.

Found in a house built at Crosby in 1862. Photos by Aaron May.


The Saxon Brickworks was on Peterborough Road, Whittlesea adjacent to Central & Victory Brickworks with Itter's works situated across the road. All these works were eventually taken over by LBC, who were then taken over by Hansons in 1984. The Saxon Brick Co. is listed in Kelly's 1903, 06 & 16 editions with F.H. Cooke as secretary & manager with the office address of Priestgate, Peterborough. The works closed under Hansons in 2011 with production being transferred to Hanson's Kings Dyke works. Info & Photo courtesy of the Bill Richardson collection at Southwick Hall by Martyn Fretwell.

Sayers Common Brick Works

Thomas Page is listed at the Sayers Common Brick Works, Hurstpierpoint, Sussex in Kelly’s 1859 to 1890 editions. The entry is then Mrs Jane Page in Kelly’s 1899 & 1909 editions. Next, Edwin Page is recorded at this works in Kelly’s 1911 to 1918 editions. Kelly’s 1930 & 38 editions next list W. Allfrey at this Sayers Common works. I have no more TD’s after 1938, but the works is still shown as operational on 1947 OS map. Photo by Richard Symonds & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Scantlebury & Co.

Scantlebury & Co, Gaverigan SW928581. Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Scarborough Brick & Tile

This works operated from a brickworks known as Peacock's Yard in what is now Mount View Avenue though that street didn't exist at that time. This was one of four brickworks in the town with quarries working the soft shales of the Upper Estuarine Series which were crushed for brick making and was in use from the early 1870s operated by a local developer and building contractor William Peacock and also possibly by Harrison & Haigh. William Peacock died in 1893 and Scarborough Brick and Tile Company was formed sometime after this date. Production ceased about 1936.  Photos and info by Chris Hall.

Photo by David Kitching.

Photo by Leanne 'mavis' Watling.

Thanks to Nick Abbey for the photo

Photo by Roger Clark

Photo by Nigel Megson.

Photographed at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Scarborough United Brick

Also see entry for Barry's Scarborough.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Could it be the same maker as the one above?

Scarborough United Brick Co., found on Wold Gate, Bridlington and listed in Kelly, N & E Riding after 1929 as Scarborough United Brickworks Ltd., Seamer Road, Scarborough, North Yorkshire. Image PRBCO.

Made in 1965, the year the works closed.  Photo by Chris Hall.


This one is probably from the Brown Edge Brick Works, Scarisbrick, in West Lancashire not far from Southport. The works appears on the OS maps for 1893 and 1908 but has closed by 1928.  Photo and info by David Kitching.

R Scattergood, Cannock

The 1868 Kelly's Directory has Robert Scattergood junior, blue bricks, Rumer Hill, Cannock. The census lists him at Rumer Hill as a brick & tile manufacturer in 1871 and 1881 but by 1891 he had moved to Titchfield in Hampshire. Photo by Julie Green.

Scattergood, Lichfield

Richard Scattergood was a builder & brickmaker in Lichfield who is listed in Kelly’s 1880 & 1884 editions with the address of Bel Vue House, Litchfield. Richard went bankrupt in May 1885 with a newspaper article stating he lived on London Road, Lichfield & been in business for 18 years. It appears he may have only started as builder because he is not listed as a brickmaker in Kelly’s 1876 edition.Info by Martyn Fretwell, photo by Peter Hubbard.


Front and back of Scattergood/Stapenhill brick, Robert Scattergood, Stapenhill, Burton on Trent from White's Derbyshire Directory 1857.  Photos and info by Frank Lawson.

Photos by Greg Julian.

Photos by Vicky Eaglefield.

W Scheele

William Scheele was a merchant and shipper at Newcastle on Tyne from the 1850s to 1870s. His business went into liquidation in 1877. It is most likely that Scheele had bricks stamped with his name made for export by one of the local manufacturers. This example was found and photographed in St Petersburg by Vladimir Smirnov.


Alfred Schofield, Shiregreen Lane, Upper Wincobank, Sheffield. White's Sheffield Directory 1908.  Alfred Schofield produced bricks at the Shiregeen Lane site until around 1912 when the business was taken over by the Sheffield Brick Co. who continued to produce bricks at the same site often impressed with the name "Winco" - a name that had also previously been used by Alfred Schofield. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by Antony Meadows.



1871 and 1881 Henry Scholefield was listed as a Mineral, metal & chemical broker and merchant, living in Jesmond. He was also a shipowner. This appears to be a case of Scholefield having his name stamped onto bricks he was purchasing from a local manufacturer. Photo by Steven Tait.

Scoby Scaur, Willington

Scoby Scaur Brick & Gravel Co. Ltd. This works was near Crook, County Durham. Photo by Steven Tait.

Scotia & Sneyd Green

Scotia & Sneyd Green Brick & Marl Co Ltd, Scotia Bank, Tunstall, close to the site of the old Scotia Colliery. This company is listed in the 1907 trade directory and no works is shown at this location on the 1900 OS map. Photos and information by David Kitching.

Scotswood on Tyne : see Gibson


Photo taken at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.  Possibly made in Yorkshire.

Scott, New Shildon

Photo by Chris Tilney.

W. Scott, Choppington

Walter Scott, Choppington Station, Bedlington is listed in Kelly’s 1894 directory. Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Walter Scott

Photo by Steven Tait.

The 1894 Kelly's Directory has Walter Scott Ltd. Scotswood, and notes that the company had also taken over the Thomas Carr & Son firebrick works. Kelly’s 1914 and Ward’s 1916 Directories list Walter Scott Ltd. is listed at Scotswood & offices at 21, Grainger Street, Newcastle in the Brick & Tile Makers section. Info from Martyn Fretwell.

Scourse, Bristol

Caleb Scourse is recorded as a brickmaker at the time of his marriage in 1875 at St. Philips Marsh, Bristol. Photo and info by Martyn Fretwell.

Scourse Bros

Scourse Bros. Parson St. Bedminster, Bristol, 1898-1908. Photo by Eric Taylor.

Scourse & Kingston

Found on a building site in Bishopstoke Hampshire by Malcolm Morris.  Scourse & Kingston made dry pressed, white facing bricks in Parson Street, Bristol.  Scourse & Kingston, Somerset Glazed Brick Works, Bedminster, Bristol.

Found in Bishopstoke, Eastleigh, Hampshire by Ian Suddaby.

Photos by Eric Taylor.

Scremerston Main Colliery

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by Ian Suddaby.

Scremerston Coal Co Ltd., Scremerston Brickworks, Scremerston, Berwick. Kelly's Northumberland Directory 1894: - Scremerston Coal Co Limited ; office, Scremerston, Berwick ; Felkington, Norham R.S.O. & (Thos Darling, agent),Governor's house, Berwick. Peter Davidson's "Brickworks of the North East" states that the works was operational from 1850 until 1943.

Some history by Arthur Brickman: Scremerston Colliery was acquired by the Hartley Main Colliery group in the mid-1930's and a new brickworks established alongside the original brick and tileworks, which had previously stood derelict for a number or years. Short-lived, the brickworks and colliery closed in 1944, but during this period its production was marked S.M.C.; Scremerston Main Colliery, and used extensively within the local Berwick area.

Scunthorpe Brick Co.

Kelly's Lincolnshire Directory 1900: - The Scunthorpe Brick Co Ltd., (J G Clugston, sec.), Home street, Scunthorpe, Doncaster. The Home Street address was that of the office - According to the 1907 OS map the works was situated to the east of the town, adjacent to the Great Central railway line and close to Santon Terrace. Info and photo by Frank Lawson.

Seacombe Brick Works

Seacombe is a district of Wallasey on the west bank of the Mersey. There were extensive brick fields in the area during the 1860s and 1870s.

Seal, Attleboro, Nuneaton

William & Joseph Seal owned Attleborough Stone Quarries between 1863 & 1871 & it appears that it was the Seal Brothers who established the brickworks at the quarry because the following owners of the quarry are all recorded as quarry proprietors & brickmakers. An 1871 sales document lists the equipment at the quarry & brickyard the Seal Brothers were selling as;- Engine House, boiler shed, several drying sheds, three kilns capable of producing 18,000 bricks each, three circular ovens, shedding, 25 horse-powered horizontal steam engine, two boilers, brickmaking machines by Clayton & Shuttleworth, traveling crane, tramway & a lifting crane. Both the quarry & brickworks closed in the early 1930’s. Photos by Tim Lawton, info by Tim Lawton and from Peter Lee’s book - Nuneaton & Bedworth Coal, Stone, Clay & Iron.


James Trehearne writes: A friend and customer of mine has sent me the attached Seaton brick from Seaton in East Devon. He has been working on a property there and has been cutting into the 16' thick rubble walls and was fascinated to find this brick which was clearly manufactured locally. This is not a very traditional brick area but they must have had a works nearby once.  Martin Smith adds:  There was a brickworks in Bunt's Lane, Seaton but this has long gone and the area is now residential.

Photo by Chris Henley.

Seaton Burn Coal Co. Ltd.

Made on the North Sea coast near Newcastle. Photo by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Farah Ansani.

Seaton Delaval Colliery

Photo by Frank Lawson.

Photos by Chris Tilney.

Seaton Delaval Coal Co Ltd, New Delaval Colliery Brickworks, Blyth, Northumberland. Photo by Frank Lawson.

Seaton Firebrick

Made near Whitehaven, Cumbria.  Photo and info by Graham Brooks.

These bricks seem to have been produced at Moorhouseguards brickworks which was associated with the Moorhouseguards Colliery. This was operated in the 1880s by the Seaton Fire-brick & Sanitary Tube Co. and in the 1890s by the Seaton Firebrick Co. Info and photos by Richard Cornish.

Photo by Chris Graham.


Located north of the Hotspur yard in the village of Seghill, the works were a typical Colliery operation, producing a distinctive buff-coloured brick, used locally for many of the villages former houses and of course the colliery buildings. Under N.C.B. ownership the brickworks were expanded and modernised and despite the Colliery closing in 1962, the brickworks continued in production for another 15 years or so, its products reaching a wider regional audience, although the 'Seghill' name no longer featured on these wire-cut products. Info by Arthur Brickman, photo by Tony Gray.

Photo by Chris Tilney.


From Selborne Brick and Tile, Honey Lane, Selborne Nr Alton Hampshire , the works closed a few years ago and were called Tower Brick and Tile towards the end of its history.  Photo and info by John Morley

Found in the demolished residential quarters for personnel at the U.S.A.F base at Upper Heyford from 1950 - 1994.  Photo by Nigel Furniss.

Photos by Peter Daley.


Photo by Ian Prest.

Selcio: see Joseph Morton, Halifax

Selfrac: see Allen Halifax

Sellars Sandiacre

Kelly's 1887 edition records Thomas Sellars as brickmaker at Sandiacre, Nottingham. Sandiacre today is in Derbyshire. Info & Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.


William Sermon & Son, Bank Lane, Clayton, Manchester. This works is listed in the Manchester trade directories from 1869 to 1886. In 1871 William employed 4 men and 3 boys alongside family members. The son was Thomas Sermon and in 1881 he was employing 13 men and 6 boys at the brickworks. There were also brickworks run by the Sermon family at Higher Ardwick in 1850 and Miles Platting in 1841.


O 7 K, made in Sevenoaks, Kent. Photo by Jonathan Earl.

Photo taken at Woolwich arsenal by Marcin Guzek.

G Shackel

Front and rear of a Shackels of Reading brick. W. Read in his family web article records George Shackel (1813 - 1872) as a farmer in Reading & in the 1860's he diversified into brickmaking. G. Shackel is listed in Dutton, Allen & Co. 1863 trade directory as farmer & brickmaker. Photos by Martyn Fretwell.

Shaftoe, York

John Shaftoe seems to first appear in trade directories of York from 1851 at Lawrence Street. By 1887, John is no longer listed, but there is an Ann Shaftoe listed, on Lawrence Street. By 1901 Ann seems to have been joined by an Elizabeth C, up until 1939.  Info by Carla van Beveren, photo by Frank Lawson.

Shafton, Barnsley

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Located at Shafton-Two-Gates, 6km northeast of Barnsley in the direction of Hemsworth, South Yorkshire. Same site worked by OAKLAND BROS / SHAFTON. Image PRBCO.

Photo by Mick Marsden.

Sharlston Colliery

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Sharlston colliery near Wakefield survived until the 1990's.  At one time it employed 2,200 men.

John Sharp

Recovered from the remains of the former NER engine roundhouse which were being removed to allow redevelopment at Green Street, Darlington, County Durham.  The roundhouse was built in the second half of the 19th century and was altered a number of times before it was demolished in the 1960's. The brick is slightly longer than 9" but otherwise normal size.  Info and photo by Ross Chisholm.

Discovered by Rainer while renovating his house in Salzhemmendorf, Germany.

Photo by Steven Tait.

Photo by David Kitching.

John Sharp was owner of the Thistle Flat or Low Bitchburn Colliery, Witton-le-Wear, Durham, from 1841 to the 1870s. he is listed in the 1848 Slater's Directory as a fire brick manufacturer at Low Bitchburn.

Sharp & Jones, Branksome

The Bourne Valley Pottery was established by Sharp, Jones & Co. at Branksome, Dorset in 1853 with bricks & drainage pipes being produced at a later date.

The listing of Sharp, Jones & Co. Ltd. Bourne Valley Pottery & Rock Concrete Tube Works, Branksome, Dorset appears in Kelly's 1903 to 1931 editions (31 is the last one that I have). The Company was wound up on 1st January 1958. The site was then taken over by Redland Pipes & today the site is the Redlands Trading Estate & housing. An aerial view of the works. All photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Sharpe, Linthorpe

J Sharpe, Linthorpe Lane, Middlesbrough. Photos by Mike Graham.

F G Sharpe

Frederick G. Sharp is listed at Carlton Hill, Nottingham in White's 1864. Then Wright's 1866 & 68 editions list him at St. Ann's Hill Road, Nottingham. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell, courtesy of Nottingham City Museums & Galleries.

Sharples, Bolton

Sharples Brick Co., Wilton Road, Sharples, Bolton, Lancs. Kelly's Lancashire Directory 1918. Photos by David Kitching.

Sharratt, Elland

Thought to be an early example from David Sharratt. Found in Elland and photographed by Chris Shaw.

Photo by Jason Stott.

David Sharratt & Sons Ltd., Storth Fireclay & Brickworks, Elland, West Yorks. Darrell Prest writes:  The brickworks became D Sharratt in 1874 then D Sharratt & Sons in 1905. Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by Chris Shaw.

H. Shaw, Sutton

Henry Shaw is recorded in a trade directory, as brickmaker and bricklayer of Eastfield Side, Sutton in Ashfield in 1885. The brick being found just across the road from his works.  Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

J Shaw, Kimberley, Nottingham

J. Shaw is listed as brickmaker in Kelly's 1855 edition at Kimberley, Nottingham. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

William Henry Shaw

Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

Photo by Ian Miller.

Photo by David Fox.

Photo by Alan Davies.

Shaw's Glazed Brick Co Ltd., (William Henry Shaw), Whitebirk, Blackburn, Lancs. Photos by Frank Lawson.

In 1890 the company's founder, William Henry Shaw, took over the lease of Whitebirk Colliery that had been sunk 18 years before. Although the coal seams at the bottom of the mine's 408ft-deep twin shafts were abandoned in 1896 the enterprising William Henry was making money and bricks out of the fireclay that the pit also produced. Indeed, his company extended the operation to a mine opened at Belthorn in 1891 and linked the operation there to the Whitebirk site in 1903 by an overhead suspended "railway" on which some 60 wagons carried coal and clay as far as Knuzden, with steam locomotives ferrying the cargo the rest of the way to Whitebirk. Shaws remained at Whitebirk until 1909 when the present works opened at Waterside, Darwen. But the glazed brick chimney the company erected at the pithead remained until the 1930s. Info by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Chris Tilney.

Photos by David Kitching.

Photo by Colin Driver.

Photos by David Kitching.

M Shaw, Whatstandwell, Derby

Mathew Shaw is listed in Kelly's 1887 & 1891 editions at The Wigwell Brickworks & Carr Cottage, Whatstandwell, Derby. Then in Kelly's 1895 edition the entry is The Wigwell Brick & Tile Co. Lim. William C. Shaw manager, Whatstandwell, Matlock Bath. Info & Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Thos. Shaw

Thomas Shaw, (Oldham) Ltd., Besom Hill, Ripponden Road, Moorside, Oldham. Photo by Jason Stott.

Photo by David Fox.

Shaw & Swift, Longton

Photos by David Kitching.

Shawforth, Rochdale

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photos by Frank Lawson.

Photo by David Kitching.

Photo by Jason Stott.

Photos by Frank Lawson.

Found in a section of wall alongside the Ashton Canal in the Ancoats area of Manchester by Alan Murray Rust.  Clearly one that has had a double pressing.

Photo taken at a reclamation yard in Tarvin, Cheshire by Martyn Fretwell.

Found in Godley by Jud Hirst.

E Sheard, Moss

E Sheard, Moss, Askern, Doncaster.  Photo by Frank Lawson.

Sheffield and Sheffield & Turner, Ludlow

John Sheffield is listed in Kelly's 1891 and 1895 editions at the Railway Station Brickworks in Ludlow. Whether John was in the partnership of Sheffield & Ludlow before or after these dates is unknown. Shown on a 1886 map next to the railway station on Station Drive this works was gone by the 1902 map. The Sheffield brick came from Ludlow's Market Hall which was demolished in 1986. Info and Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of Shropshire Museums.

Sheffield Brick Co.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Frank Lawson.

Photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.  The Sheffield Brick Company, had works in various sites around Sheffield; the dots represented sites, two dots is for the SBC brick works at Aizlewood Road.

Sheffield Coal Co.

Sheffield Coal Co Ltd., South Street, Sheffield. The Sheffield Coal Company was one of the oldest colliery companies in Sheffield being founded on 28 February 1805 to lease from the Duke of Norfolk and work coal pits in the Park area of the city. They also owned several other collieries in the Sheffield / North Derbyshire area but I can find no reference to them owning brickworks although the two industries often operated together. It is possible that the bricks were produced for their use by someone else.  More info.
Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Sheffield Patent Brick Co.

Photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection. 

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Found at an old cutlery works in Sheffield - it is much longer and narrower than a standard brick and is tapered, it was placed vertically above an arched window.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by David Kitching.

Sheffield United Gas Light Co.

hoto courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.  Frank Lawson adds:  Sheffield United Gas Light Co. was the main supplier of gas to the Sheffield area from 1818 until nationalisation in 1949. Its headquarters were in a rather magnificent building on Commercial Street in the centre of Sheffield but I can find no reference to a brickworks in their ownership. It may be that the bricks were made in their name under contract.


John Sheldon is listed in Kelly's Notts. 1876 & 1881 editions at Chilwell, Attenborough, Nottingham & at Long Eaton. Info & Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Shelton Brick Co

It appears the Shelton Brick Company operated the works which was at Shelton Lock near Chellaston. T. Cooper was at this works in 1857. Tomlinson & Harper owned it around 1867 and then in June 1880 the works was advertised to be let as a going concern. In May 1885, the works was advertised to be sold as a going concern, so it is likely that the Shelton Brick Co. leased this works between 1880 to 1885. Photos and info by Martyn Fretwell.

Shelton, Ripley

Mrs Mary Shelton, Upper Straight Lane, Ripley is recorded in Kelly's for 1891. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Charles Shelton, Ripley

Charles Shelton & Son, Waingroves, Ripley is recorded in Kelly's for 1891. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

W Shelton

William Shelton, brickmaker in Upper Hartshay, near Ripley is listed in Kelly's 1876 & 1881 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Front and back of a Shelton Hartshay brick, photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.


The name on this brick comes from two works in Essex, Shen is Shenfield & Tey is Marks Tey. The brick is thought to have been made between 1910 & 1914 & was a product of a joint venture between Shenfield brickmaker, Daniel Cornish who traded as Daniel Cornish & Co. & Collier Ltd / W.H. Collier who had works in both Shenfield & Marks Tey. Cornish is recorded as brickmaking between 1895 & 1939 & was also a director of the Shenfield & Cranham Brick & Tile Co. Ltd. History of the Collier family can be read in the W.H. Collier brick entry. One of Daniel's brothers, Orbell Thomas Cornish was a manger for many years for W.H. Collier at their  Marks Tey Works. Photo by Martyn Fretwell & Info by Adrian Corder-Birch.


The Shenstone Brick & Pipeworks started in 1926 & the company is listed in Kelly's 1936 & 40 editions. In 1967 the brickworks closed & the site continued as a builders merchant. The kilns were still present in 1986 but today nothing is left on the site which was on the junction of Watling Street & the A5127, just north of today's A5 Wall Island junction. Info & Photographed at Four Oaks Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Ray Martin.

Shenstone Multitone. Photo by Ray Martin.

J H Shepherd

J H Shepherd, Elm Farm Brickworks, Dudley Road, Wolverhampton.  Photo and info by Frank Lawson.

William Shepherd, Wolverhampton

Around 1867, William Shepherd is recorded as Coal Merchant at Union Wharf, Bilston Road, Wolverhampton. He then started manufacturing bricks around 1892 on Granville Street, Wolverhampton with him then moving to the Elm Farm Brickworks on Dudley Road in 1896. Two years later he opened a second works called the Phoenix Brickworks, also on Dudley Road. William was well regarded & respected by the local business community & he went on to build 500 houses around Wolverhampton, providing them for the working classes. William also established a cycle manufacturing business in the town. William is recorded in Kelly's 1892 edition as brick manufacturer on Granville Street & living on Bilston Road. Then from 1896 to the 1908 editions he is listed at Elm Tree Farm Brick Works, Wolverhampton. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection, with Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Edward Shepley

Edward Shepley, fire brick manufacturer of Stalybridge, Cheshire. He is listed in trade directories from 1857 to 1878. At his death in 1881 the Higher Mill fire brick, gas, oven and retort works was offered for sale. Photo by Paul Higson.

Sherburn House

Sherburn House brick & tile works, Durham, 1879 - 1924. Photo by Chris Tilney.

J Sherlock

J Sherlock, Horsley, Derbys.   Photo courtesy of Derby Museums.

Sherwood Colliery

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Shifnal: see entry for Lilleshall

Shipley (West Yorks.)

Wrose Brow brickworks was close to its neighbour - Wrose Hill at Windhill, Shipley, West Yorkshire.  Latterly its products were marked [SHIPLEY][BRICK]. The works was in existence by 1881.  The mapped brickworks contains a structure that does not appears to be a Hoffmann kiln.  The Wrose Brow works was later (probably from 1888) owned by Thomas Sutcliffe of Shipley.  A local contact said that she can remember the works being active in the early 1960s.  The brick illustrated is probably a late product.  Thanks to Derek Barker for the photos and information.


Photo by Frank Lawson.

Shipley, Derby

Shipley brickworks was situated north-west of Shipley Common adjacent to the railway at Shipley wharf at the terminus of the Nutbrook Canal. It was operating in the 1880s and had grown by 1900, but had gone by 1914. Photo by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Ian C

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.

A Blue Brick, found in Sutton in Ashfield by Martyn Fretwell.


photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.


Shortwood Brick & Tile Co Ltd., Mangotsfield, Bristol. Kelly's Gloucestershire Directory 1897. Photo by Frank Lawson.
History of the works.

Photo by Eric Taylor.


Made at Shotton Colliery, Peterlee, County Durham.  Image PRBCO.

D Shreeve & Son, Burton

Found in Burton on Trent by Frank Lawson.

Shropshire Union Railway Co

I believe this to be lettered for the Shropshire Union Railway Co which was actually the Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company which built the line from Stafford to Shrewsbury and was leased for many years to the London & North Western Railway. It is likely that this brick was manufactured by the London & North Western Railway Company. Photo by David Kitching.

Shucknall nr. Hereford

The works was situated in a rural location near the hamlet of Shucknall, some five miles east of Hereford. It is recorded in the 1891 Kelly's Directory as being owned by Alexander James, though a nearby cottage, evidently made of bricks from the works, is dated 1876. It is not known when production ceased, but only a few fragments of the works now remain.  Photo and info by Richard Paterson.

Siddall, Stacksteads

Made near Bacup, Lancashire, photo by Alan Davies.


 I have two options from the same family for the maker of this brick. George Siddons & Son, West Street, Oundle, Northants. Kellys 1890 & 98 editions & then George Siddons junior, Denford, Thrapston, Kellys 1890 edition. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

A. Sidey

Photo by Chris Tilney.


In 1927 Thomas E Gray & Co Ltd registered the trade mark Silacene for Gannister bricks. Photo by Mark Cranston.


Found in the River Wear at Sunderland. Photo by Steven Tait.

Silica : see Oughtibridge

Silica Products Limited

This brick was found near the kilns at Ravenscar brickworks for which there is a separate entry. Ravenscar brickworks were opened by Whittaker's of Leeds about 1900 and they are listed in various directories between 1905 and 1913. In Kelly's Directory for the North & East Ridings of 1921 and 1927 The Silica Products Limited are listed but not Whittaker's.  From about 1915 ganister was quarried on the moor above the brickworks and despatched from the brickworks sidings form the manufacture of refractory bricks in Sheffield and The Silica Products Ltd may be related to this, though this brick is not a refractory brick. Photo by Frank Lawson and info by Chris Hall.


Silverdale Tileries Co., Keele, Newcastle under Lyme, is listed in Kelly's 1896 to 1940 editions. The works was previously worked by Francis Stanier from the 1830s and from 1860 to the 1890s by William Brough & Sons. Photo by David Kitching.

Photos by Jeremy Nutter.

BCM stands for British Commercial Monomarks, a company formed in 1925 to provide manufacturers with a London address and mail forwarding service. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Simnett, Stapenhill

Front and back of Simnett/Stapenhill brick, Samuel Simnett, Stapenhill. Burton on Trent from White's Derbyshire Directory 1857.  Photos and info by Frank Lawson.

Photos by Phil Burgoyne.

Simons, Louth

William Simons is recorded in a 1868 trade directory as brick & tile manufacturer, seed merchant & commission agent owning premises at 27, Aswell Lane, Louth. Photo by Martyn Fretwell taken at the Museum of Lincolnshire Life, Lincoln, who also supplied the information.

Simpkin, Thrusnton (Thrussington)

W. W. S stands for William Wright Simpkin who owed the brickworks at Thrussington, Leicestershire, in the 1880s.  Photo and info by Dennis Gamble.

J. Simpson

John Simpson, Newcastle

John Simpson was in business as a brick manufacturer from before 1859 at Lawson Street in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and in 1860 when he was operating a brickyard at Byker Bank and then in 1862 at Swalwell Road in Gateshead. In 1865 he took the lease on 8 acres of land at St Lawrence, Newcastle-upon-Tyne for a brick field. Here he paid to Newcastle Town Council £40 per annum rent ande 9d per 1,000 for hand and machine made bricks. He was listed here in 1879 but seems to have closed the business in 1882. Photo by Chris Tilney.

John Simpson, York

John Simpson, Malton Road, York - Johnson & Tessyman York Directory 1876. Photo by Frank Lawson who found the brick at Copmanthorpe.


Thomas Henry Simpson, Ashfield Fireclay Works, Conisbrough, South Yorks. is listed in Kelly's West Riding Directory, 1881 edition. Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Frank Lawson Collection. Info by Frank Lawson.

SPW see McCarthy's Bulwell

G. Skelding, Brierley Hill

Nagers Field brickworks, Brierley Hill.  A paving brick found at Swan Village station and sent in by Alwyn Sparrow.  Examples of Skelding coping bricks can be seen on the coping and edging bricks page. Charles Skelding (1823-1883) operated the Nagersfield Brickworks & Colliery between 1876 & 1883. After Charles senior's death Charles junior ran the business until his younger brother William Timmins Skelding (1862-1934) joined him & they are listed as the Skelding Brothers in Kelly's 1888 edition. Info from Martyn Fretwell.


In 1860 George Skey owned the Tame Valley Colliery in Tamworth and as well as finding coal, he found large deposits of clay from which he produced bricks and many ceramic wares. The company closed in 1936, when the site was taken over by Doulton's. Info & Photos by Martyn Fretwell.  Link1    Link2    Link3

Skiers Spring - see also James Smith, Skiers Spring

More information on the Skiers Spring area can be read on this website

Skiers Spring Brickworks, Hoyland, Barnsley. It seems that the brickworks was established by James Smith in around 1876 on land close to Lidgett Colliery leased from the Earl Fitzwilliam of Wentworth Woodhouse. He quickly went into partnership with various men including a Thomas Hitchmough before continuing with the business in his own name. It is likely that the works later passed into the ownership of the Earl Fitzwilliam as it produced bricks with the initials EFW impressed in them. Photos by Frank Lawson.

Photo by David Kitching.

Photo by Jason Stott.


J H Skinner & Co., Marshall Green Colliery, Witton le Wear, Co. Durham - Found Leyburn, N.Yorks.  Photo courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by Neville Akers.

Photos by Chris Tilney.

Skyers Spring: see James Smith

Next page: English bricks page 20a, Letter S: Sl to St
Return to the England index page