"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

England - page 20a

Letter S: Sl to St


Slack (Sutton in Ashfield)

Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.  Martyn Fretwell writes ; Thomas Slack of Grange Cottage, Sutton in Ashfield is recorded as brickmaker in Kelly's 1883 to1899 editions.


T. Slack (Ripley)



T. Slack of Green Hillocks, Ripley, was a brick and tile maker between 1860 and 1864. Spotted in Riddings, Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell.

Slack Lane, Derby



There were several brickmakers operating in the Slack Lane area of Derby, so there is a choice from Thomas Bennett, Richard Bennett, W. H. & J. Slater, E. Dusautoy as the maker of this brick. My first choice is W. H. & J. Slater as bricks have been found by the other makers & no bricks have turned up marked Slater Derby, only bricks made at Slater's other works in Denby & marked Slater, Denby. The Slater brothers are listed in Kelly's 1864 to 1895 editions as operating their Slack Lane Works in Derby. Info & photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Slater, Denby

Martyn Fretwell writes:  William Henry Slater and Joseph Slater's works were in operation at Uttoxeter Old Road, Derby between 1860 and 1887, and in Denby between 1874 and 1941. Photo by Ian Castledine.

Photos by Frank Lawson.


J Slater

John Slater, Brick & Lime Works, South Elmsall, West Yorks. - Kelly's Directory of West Yorkshire 1893, info by Frank Lawson



Found by David Ashford at Barnby Dun, Doncaster.



Found in Scrooby, Notts by Alan Murray-Rust.

John Slater, Berry Hill



John Slater purchased the Berry Hill Collieries after 1914 and in 1918 set up John Slater Ltd to operate Berry Hill and New Haden (Cheadle) Collieries. The brickworks at Berry Hill came as part of the deal. The brick is mistakenly spelt 'Beery Hill'!

John Slater used the Jayess mark for some of the bricks produced at the Berry Hill brickworks. Photos and information by David Kitching.

Photo by Ken Perkins.

See also Berry Hill.


Slough & Langley Brick Co.



The Slough & Langley Brick Co. was formed in 1935 & consisted of two brickworks, one in each town. The 1938 map shows that the Slough works was accessed off Wexham Road & the Langley works was near to the railway station. S & L was short lived & had closed by 1942. The London Gazette records that the company was voluntary wound up at a special meeting on the 27th January 1942. Both these works had belonged to the Nash family who had occupied several different sites in the area over the years and had been brickmakers since 1845. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

T H & G Small





Thomas Henry & George Small, Kilburn - The Brickyard Lane brickworks was associated with Kilbourne Colliery, which had been sunk by & on land owned by John Ray of Heanor Hall between 1828 & 1830. John Ray then leased the colliery & brickworks to Thomas Henry & George Small in 1854. They continued as owners or lessees until 1839. Photo courtesy of Derby Museums.  Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photos by Ian Castledine.


J Smart

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Made in Edwalton, photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Martyn Fretwell writes :- T & J Smart are first recorded in Kelly's 1900 edition at Ludlow Hill Brick Works, with offices at 21 Radcliffe Road, West Bridgford, Nottm. In the 1904 edition the works are listed as Melton Road & then in the 1916 to 1925 editions the entry is Trent Bridge (Offices) & Ludlow Hill, Melton Road, West Bridgford. From the 1928 edition the Ludlow Hill works address only continues until the last available directory in 1941.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


James Smart & Sons, California, Birmingham



Photo by courtesy of Bristol and Region Archaeological Services.  Unearthed during during groundworks associated with the construction of a new food store at Barnes Hill, California, Birmingham.



It appears that James Smart owned shares in a brickworks in Halesowen, the name of which is unknown, so I expect this is where this blue brick was made as he only made red bricks at his California Works. James Smart is listed in Kelly's 1867 to 1892 editions at the California Works, Northfield, Birmingham. The 1895 & 97 editions reads James Smart & Sons. The 1899 to 1915 editions now reads Smart's Brickworks Limited, California & Lappel Tunnel Red Brick & Quarry Works, Northfield via Quinton. Smart had taken over the Lappel Tunnel Works from John Garlick who had gone bankrupt. I then have a gap in trade directories & the 1940 edition reads Smart's Brickworks Limited, Barnes Hill, Quinton. This Barnes Hill address is the same works as the California Works & it closed in the 1950's. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell from the Chris Thornburn Collection.



 Photo by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.



 Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Smeed Dean

Photo by Frank Lawson.



George Smeed started making bricks at Murston, Sittingbourne, Kent in 1846. An ever expanding company, George's son in law, George Dean joins him in 1875 to form Smeed Dean. George Smeed passed away in 1881, but the company continues until 1926 when it was sold to the Dunstable Cement Co.   Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.   See:    http://miltoncreekmemories.co.uk/bricks/ 





Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.



Found in Aldershot by Bernard Baverstock.

Smethurst Lowside

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Smethurst, Oldham

Found near Poynton, Cheshire by Ian C.

Image by PRBCO.

Images by Jason Stott.

S & J Smethurst, Grimbies Brick Works, Rochdale Road, Oldham. The 1890s OS maps show a works with a Hoffman type oval kiln adjacent to the junction of Booth Hill Lane and Godson Street. In 1869 John Smethurst is listed as owner of Salmon Field Colliery, Royton, Oldham. This was a short distance to the north-east of the brickworks. Info by David Kitching.

London Gazette 16th February 1906: -  NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned , Samuel Smethurst and Joseph Smethurst, carrying on business as  contractors and Brickmakers, at Grimbies Brickworks, Rochdale Road, Oldham, in the county of Lancaster, under the style or firm of S. AND J. SMETHURST, has been dissolved by mutual consent as and from the thirtieth day of December, 1905. All debts due to and owing by the said late firm will be received and paid by the said Samuel Smethurst.  Dated this twelfth day of February, 1906. 
SAML. SMETHURST.  JOSEPH SMETHURST
Info by Frank Lawson.


Smith



Spotted by Richard Paterson in Taunton.

J T Smith, Atherton



John Thomas Smith,Tyldesley Old Road,Atherton.  Found in Edenfield by Colin Driver.  Made at Swan Island brickworks.

James Smith

James Smith & Co., Skiers Spring Brickworks, Hoyland, Barnsley. It seems that the brickworks was established by James Smith in around 1876 on land close to Lidgett Colliery leased from the Earl Fitzwilliam of Wentworth Woodhouse. He quickly went into partnership with various men including a Thomas Hitchmough before continuing with the business in his own name. It is likely that the works later passed into the ownership of the Earl Fitzwilliam as it produced bricks with the initials EFW impressed in them (see under Skiers Spring). Photos and info by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Chris Shaw.


Smith, Brook

Probably made in Brook, Surrey.  Photo by Richard Symonds


Robert Smith, Bunwell

Robert Smith is listed at Bunwell, Attleboro, Norfolk in Kelly’s 1865 to 1879 editions. Kelly’s 1888 edition reads R. Smith exors of. The entry is then James Eldon Smith, Bunwell, Attleboro in Kelly’s 1892 to 1908 editions. The brickworks was to the south east of the village, on the other side of Bunwell Wood & is no longer shown on the 1926 OS map. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Smith, Framlingham

Peter Smith is listed at Woodbridge Road, Framlingham & at Badingham, Suffolk in Kellys 1879 to 1896 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


 E. Smith, Kenilworth

Ed Smith (never called Edward) was a Kenilworth builder with his own quarry and brickworks, Kenilworth's first mechanical brickworks, known to have had a "steam clay machine" in 1868. It left the Smith family around the time of WW1.  Earliest year of producing 'named' bricks unknown but this sample comes from a building dating from 1895-1900.  The brickworks site is now a tennis club.  Thanks to Robin Leach for the photo and info.


Edward Smith, Coalville





Front and back of same brick, photos by Ray Martin.

Smiths, Leamington see G F Smith, Milverton


Smith, Loughborough



Photo by Peter Harris.  Dennis Gamble adds:  I think was  made by John Smith and Son of 5 Derby Road Loughborough according to a trade directory of 1877.

G F Smith, Milverton





Photos by Alwyn Sparrow.  Milverton was a separate village but is now part of Leamington Spa.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.

Smith, Retford



Jesse Smith is listed as brickmaker in Kelly's 1885 edition at Bolham Lane, Retford & then at Moorgate, Retford in the 1891 edition. These two locations are the same yard and this brick & tile works on Bolham Lane is shown on a 1887 OS map situated just off Moorgate Road. Info & Photographed at Bassetlaw Museum, Retford by Martyn Fretwell.

R Smith, Halesworth

Made in Halesworth, Suffolk. Photo by Tom Langton.


Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


T Smith, Sutton



A notice in the London Gazette dated 26th of November 1872 records Thomas Smith an Auctioneer & brickmaker of High Street, Sutton Coldfield was declaring himself bankrupt. The notice summoned creditors of the aforementioned to attend the First General Meeting at the Tuns Hotel, High Street, Sutton Coldfield on the 10th day of December 1872 at three o'clock precisely. Signed W.M. Fellows, attorney for the said Thomas Smith. The location of Thomas Smith's brickworks is not recorded in this notice. Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection with info by Martyn Fretwell.


Thomas Smith



Found Balderton, Newark, Notts. 2016,  probably: - Thomas Smith, Caunton, Newark.   Kelly's Nottinghamshire Directory 1876.   Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

W Smith



W Smith, Hollins Lane Brickworks, Hollins Lane, Accrington, Lancs. The business operated from 1879-1895 approx. Photo and info by Frank Lawson.

William Smith & Son

William Smith is listed in Slater’s 1868 edition as brickmaker at the Atlas Brickworks, Stonehouse, Gloucestershire. These bricks were found during the recent renovation of "The Old Chapel" in Gotherington near Cheltenham, which is now a community centre serving the village. Photos by Eddie McLarnon & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Smithson Prudhoe

Photo by Frank Lawson.

R Smithson & Son, Ovingham, Prudhoe, Northumberland listed in  Kelly's Northumberland Directory 1914.  Info by Frank Lawson.


Smithy Bridge Brick Company

The works of the Smithy Bridge Brick Company at Hollingworth Lake was subject to a dispersal sale in June 1874. Info by Mark Cranston and photo by Jason Stott.


Smokejacks (Surrey), see Ockley


Sneyd Colliery, Burslem

Sneyd Colliery & Brickworks Company was operated by Messrs. C.and J. May from 1844. In 1875 it was purchased by Messrs. William Heath, Arthur Dean and W. A. M. Telwright, and was converted into a limited liability company in 1881. Glazed bricks were a speciality of the company, which traded into the 1960s. Info by David Kitching.

Photographed on the seashore at Crosby, Merseyside.  Closed in 1962, details here.

Photo by David KItching.

Photo by Roger Grimshaw, taken at Gladstone Pottery Museum, Stoke on Trent.

Note the Staffordshire 'knot' on the top of the brick.  Photo by Ray Martin.





Front and back of Sneyd brick by Mike Shaw.





Photos taken by Mike Shaw at a building refurbishment site in Shrewsbury.

This example is in the door lining of a small kiln at the Gladstone Pottery Museum, Longton, Stoke-on-Trent. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Silvia Colloseus.

Photo by Henry Lisowski.



Photo by Colin Driver.


Snowball, Gateshead

Photo by Arthur Brickman.

Photos by Chris Tilney.

Photo by Tony Gray.



Found in the remains of a kiln on the site of the Liddle-Henzell Glass Works in Newcastle by Dave Ashford.

Snowball Firebrick Works, Derwenthaugh, Gateshead.  James Snowball, Fire-brick and glazed Sanitary Pipe Manufacturers, Stourbridge, near Pipewellgate. Gateshead.

After being a grocer for 12 years, James Snowball acquired a brick factory around 1853 & he is listed as being in partnership with Watson Walker in Slaters 1855 edition as Walker & Snowball (fire) at the New Stone Bridge Fire Brick Works, Gateshead. The 1856 OS map shows this works as the Stourbridge Firebrick & Sanitary Pipe Works & was situated in Stourbridge near Pipewellgate, Gateshead. The New Stone Bridge referred to in this entry was the original Redheugh stone bridge. The London Gazette dated 22nd October 1861 records that Watson Walker, a Spirit Merchant was declaring himself bankrupt & that he had been in partnership with James Snowball as Fire-brick & Sanitary Glazed Pipe Manufacturers at Stourbridge near Pipewellgate, Gateshead. James continues to operate this works on  his own & he is listed in the 1861 census as a Fire Brick Manufacturer employing 15 men & living with his family at 25, High Street West, Gateshead. James continued to expand his business acquiring several collieries & in or around 1865 opened a new fire brick works at Derwent Haugh, Swalwell. The 1871 census lists James Snowball as a Coal Owner & Pipe Manufacturer. James passes away in 1879 and the business is then run by his son George Harrison Snowball (1846-1911). Kelly’s 1883 edition records that George Snowball of 10 Park Terrace was still running his business as James Snowball & Sons, Fire Brick Manufacturers, Swalwell. George was joined in the business by his brother James junior (1850 -1911). Both brothers died in 1911 and the Derwent Haugh Works, Swalwell closed in 1925. The census records show that George Harrison Snowball had nine sons and that son 2, George Harrison Snowball junior (b.1874) was a Brick Manufacturers Clerk in 1901 census, alas I have not found the 1911 census for him. However the 1901 census does record that he was now going by the name of Harrison Snowball. Then son 8, Malcolm (b.1886) is listed as a Works Manager at a Fire Brick Manufactory in the 1911 census. With finding at least two brothers were running their Grandfathers’ business Kelly’s 1914 Durham edition reads Snowball Brothers, Fire Brick Makers, Swalwell. Therefore it appears the works closed in 1925 with the Snowball family still in charge. Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Snydale

Snydale Colliery & Brickworks, Featherstone, West Yorks. The Colliery And Brickworks were owned by Henry Briggs & Sons and later by Whitwood Collieries Ltd. Photo and info by Frank Lawson.


Solihull Brick Co.



The Solihull Brick Co. is listed at Warwick Road, Solihull in Kelly's 1921 to 1940 editions. The 1938 map shows this works just off Warwick Road at Sandals Bridge with the 1951 map showing it disused. Today the flats on Riverside Drive are built on this former brickworks site. Info & Photo courtesy of the John Baylis Collection by Martyn Fretwell.

Somerleyton Brick Co.

<

The Somerleyton Brick Co. was operational between 1893 and 1923. The company is recorded in Kellys 1896 & 1900 editions at Somerleyton with Robert Catton as manager. Then the 1912 & 1916 editions records Walter Cooper as manager. The works was then taken over by the Norfolk & Suffolk Brick Co. in 1923. Also see Lucas Brothers, Daniel Knights & Norfolk & Suffolk Brick Co. entries as they are the same works. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Somerset Brick & Tile Company

The Somerset Brick & Tile Company was established before 1883 and is listed in Kelly's directory from 1889 to 1939. In 1886 Clifford Gyfford Cogan is listed as proprietor, with the works situated at Evercreech Junction. Photo by Neil Bannell.


Somerset Trading Co. Bridgwater



The Somerset Trading Co. Bridgewater produced bricks from 1894 to 1939. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the David Penney Collection.

SO.Shields: see Lawson Bros


H South



Found in York by Don Boldison. York Gazette 1.7.1854: St Nicholas brick and tile yard, lessee Henry South selling lease. More info here.

Southdown





Southdown Brickworks in Cornwall was opened in 1888 by the South Down Metal, Chemical and Brick Co, later separating into the Southdown Brick Co. In 1914 it amalgamated with other brickworks in the area to form the Western Counties Brick Co which was taken over in 1928 by Westbrick Products Ltd. Closure came in 1956 due to deteriorating quality of the ground slate raw material. Photos by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Photo by Frank Lawson.


Southend on Sea, Essex



Thought to be Southend-on-Sea Brick Co. Essex, but no TD's found. The SSE could stand for Shoeburyness (Brickworks), Southend, Essex a works owned by Dale Knapping. See Dale Knapping entry. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

South Elmsall

South Elmsall Brick Co. Ltd., Doncaster Road, South Elmsall, West Yorks.

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.



Found near York by Don Boldison.

South Hetton Coal Company 

Photos by Tony Gray.

Photo by Jessica Walker.

Photo by Steve Smith.


South Leicester Colliery Co. Coalville



The colliery was in operation between 1864 to 1989 in Ellistown, Coalville. G. Tucker agent, he may have worked for this colliery before starting his own brick company. I then have a reference to the brickworks still in operation in 1964.  Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

South Medomsley

South Medomsley Colliery was also known as Pontop Hall Colliery. Photo by Ian Hunter.


South Moor Coal Co



South Moor colliery was near Annfield Plain, County Durham.  Link to details.


Southwater

Photo by Lisa Cullingworth.

Listed as the Southwater Brick, Tile, Terra Cotta, Pipe & Clay Co. Ltd at 52, North Street, Horsham in Kelly's 1915 edition. The works had been taken over by the Sussex Brick & Estates Co in 1907. In 1930 it was re-named The Sussex Brick Co. Ltd. and in 1935 it was joined by a Dorking firm to become the Sussex & Dorking United Brick Cos. Ltd. After 1958 the company became part of Redland Bricks Ltd. The Southwater Works closed in 1981 and the site is now a country park. Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Philip Kempsey.

Both photographed by Simon Patterson in Bexhill.

This one does have a B instead of an S as it's first letter, not surprisingly they are very uncommon!



Name stippled on two lines

Photos by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.



Found on the Severn estuary between Sudbrook and Black Rock by Michael Kilner.

Caroline Cowen writes: The bricks by the Rolling Track Walls and around the Mulberry harbour construction platforms at the historic D-Day preparation/departure area at Lepe Beach, Hampshire, are all spelled Bouthwater, with a good majority in good condition



 Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

H. K. Spark

Made at Shincliffe Colliery, County Durham.  Thanks to David Oliver for the info.


Sparth: see entry for Ashworth, Rochdale


Earl Spencer, Harlestone

The tile was found at Harlestone kiln which is on the edge of Harlestone House Park, of which Earl Spencer was Lord of the Manor. Charles Robert Spencer (1857 - 1922) would have had control of the kilns on his land. The kiln at Harlestone has 5 fire holes per side, a tiled roof & is of the downdraught type, still in remarkable condition for its age. Known operating dates are 1883 - 1901. Photos and info by Nigel Furniss.


Spinkhill

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Spinkhill is a small village to the north of Renishaw in Derbyshire


Spondon - see Bennett


Spring Vale Fire Clay Co. Darwen



The Spring Vale Fire Clay Co. Darwen is recorded in Grace's Guide as being owned by Thomas Knowles Ltd, who were sanitary ware manufacturers producing salt glazed pipes & fittings, cattle & pig troughs, horse mangers, waste water closets, latrines & urinals, patent manholes, patent outlet pipes for gas cookers & Knowles' patent golf sand boxes. The company was acquired by the Hepworth Iron Co. in 1962. Photographed at Corris by Martyn Fretwell.

Springwell Brick Co

The works was situated at Springwell in County Durham. Louis Cuthbert Ridley esquire of 33 Grainger Street West, Newcastle was proprietor/director of several different companies during his career. Louis C Ridley and Co Ltd operated as brick, tile and pipe makers at Springwell brickworks through the Springwell Stone and Brick Co Ltd.
Lee Hudson of Stanton Croft and Co was appointed Receiver of the company in 1908 and it was wound up in 1910. Photo by Steve Bell.

Photo by Chris Tilney.


T P Stableford, Chellaston





Thomas Porter Stableford is listed as brickmaker at Chellaston, Derby in Kelly's 1881 to 1904 editions. These entries are followed by John Stableford at Chellaston in Kelly's 1908 to 1916 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

J W Stableford, Coalville



John William Stableford is listed as a brick maker in Whites directory of 1877. He is further listed in Kellys of 1891 and 1895. In Wrights directory of 1894 he is also listed as a colliery proprietor and living on London Road Coalville. Photo and info by Dennis Gamble.

Stafford C & I Co. Ltd.

The Stafford Coal & Iron Co. had collieries and brickworks in Stoke-on-Trent in the area close to where the Hem Heath Pit was later developed. The bricks are very common in the Potteries in several slightly differing designs of lettering and pressing. Thanks to David Kitching for the information.

Further information has come from Tim Lawton: The brickworks was in operation from at least 1900 as part of the Great Fenton Collieries & Ironworks complex. The colliery (renamed Stafford Colliery) closed in early 1969, but whether that meant the brickworks ceased production at the same time, I'm not sure. The bricks were certainly of a high quality, and are still very prevalent over North Staffordshire. The actual location of the brickworks is just across the access road to Stoke City's Britannia Stadium. The site has now been heavily redeveloped with nothing remaining to reveal it's previous use.

Dave Evans spotted this one on the foreshore in Flint, North Wales.

A blue example, photo by Alan Murray-Rust.



Photo by Mike Shaw and by courtesy of the Nick Southwick collection



Photo by Mike Gregg.

Photo by Phil Jenkins.


Staffordshire Knot device see Webb, Brisbane, Australia


Staffordshire

Found by Vladimir Smirnov in St. Petersburg.  Frank Lawson adds:  Possibly: Staffordshire Terra Cotta & Fire Brick Co., Wimblebury, Hednesford, Staffs.   Kelly's Staffordshire Directory 1904.

Photographed at Blaydon on Tyne by Chris Tilney


Staffordshire Brickworks, Pensnett



The Staffordshire Red & Blue Brick Works, Pensnett, Dudley is listed in Kellys 1900 edition with John E. Perry recorded as proprietor. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Stairfoot

Stairfoot Brick Co., Wombwell Lane, Stairfoot, Barnsley, S.Yorks. Stairfoot Brickworks has had several owners including the Stairfoot Brick Co., the Yorkshire Brick Co. and finally the Hanson Group which mothballed the works in 2008 with demolition soon following. Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by Ian Castledine.


Stampley Moss

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Standard

Standard Brickworks, Willenhall Road, Moseley Village, Willenhall. The works was operated by Howard & Davies c.1924, then a name change to the Howard Standard Brickworks Ltd c.1940. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Standard Pelaw

Standard, Pelaw, Gateshead, Co. Durham.  A product of William Foster's 'Standard' Brickworks, established in the early 1900's to produce the raw materials for the building of the New Town associated with the establishment of the CWS (Co-operative Wholesale Society) Works at Pelaw.  Info by Arthur Brickman, photos by Chris Tilney.

Photo by Tony Gray.


Stanfield Colliery, Burslem



The Stanfield Colliery Company in Burslem appears as a brick manufacturer in the trade directories from 1872 to 1879. In 1872 the manager is listed as William Heath who was part owner in partnership with a Mr Norris from at least 1869 and later with Samuel and William Tellwright who were from the mid 1870s to become brickmakers in their own right at other locations. At the end of 1874 Heath and Tellwright sold their business and a limited company was formed with big ambitions but probably little yield, indeed it was in liquidation by September 1876. The collieries around Stanfield were badly affected by flooding in the 1880s and all closed as a consequence. Stanfield Colliery appears to have been abandoned in September 1885 and the brickworks is likely to have closed before then. Photos and info by David Kitching and Ken Perkins.


Stanley

Photo by Steven Tait.

Stanley, County Durham.


Stanley

John Barber, Stanley, Derbys. Found near Stanley village, north east of Derby. White's History and Gazetteer of 1856 mentions a John Barber at Stanley and his occupation as a brick maker and coal owner. It can therefore be assumed that he owned the brickyard and also the land where the pit was later dug. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Stanley Bros. Stockingford, Nuneaton

Spotted by Simon Patterson on the top of a wall at Egmanton, North Nottinghamshire.



found by Nigel Furniss near Gayton on the old SMJR railway line.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by David Kitching.

Link to brickworks history here.

Stanton Colliery, Burton on Trent



Stanton Colliery, Stanton, Swadlincote, Derbys.  From White's Directory of South Derbyshire 1874 :-
J & N Nadin & Co., Coal Masters, Stanton & Newhall Collieries.  Photo and info by Frank Lawson.

Stanton Ironworks Co.



Stanton Ironworks Co. Ltd., Stanton Brick Works, Derby Road, Ilkeston, Derbys.   Kelly's Derbyshire Directory 1932/1936/1941.  Photo by Antony Meadows and info by Frank Lawson.

Found in N. E. Derbyshire by Simon Patterson. 

info found at Matlock Archives - Martyn Fretwell writes:  This brickworks on Derby Road, Ilkeston was originally owned by the Oakwell Red & Blue Brick Co. Kelly's 1916 to 1928 & is then recorded as Stanton Ironworks Co. Ltd. Stanton Brickworks, Derby Road, Ilkeston  in Kelly's 1932 to 1941 editions, 1941 being the last Trade Directory at Matlock Archives. SIC = Stanton Ironworks Company.


Star (Peterborough)

Found at Easton on the Hill ironstone mine near Stamford, Lincs by Ian. Started as the Dogsthorpe Star Pressed Brick Co. this works then became the Star Brick Co. in 1915 & was owned by the same family which owned the London Brick Co. The works was formally incorporated into LBC in 1923/24. LBC had been started by businessman C.J. Hill in 1889 in Fletton, Peterborough. Info by Martyn fretwell, more history here.


Star (Linthorpe)



George Ball is listed as owner of the Star Brick Works in Linthorpe, Middlesbrough in Bulmer's 1890 edition. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Frank Lawson.


Star image



This brick impressed with a star is most probably made by the Star Brick Works, Humberstone Lane, Thurmaston, Leicester. The company was listed in directories from 1881 to 1916. The brick came from a house built in Syston , the next village, in 1879.  Photo and info by Dennis Gamble.

Starring, Littleborough



Starring Coal & Fireclay Company,Dearnley,Littleborough. The business originated in the 1868 lease of land at Higher Starring Farm by three local businessmen, Ralph Ashwoth, and Isaac Kershaw of Littleborough, and James Byrom Bamford of Todmorden. They set about exploiting the coal and fireclay beneath this land and subsequently leased land at Lower Starring Farm (1871). The leases particularly mention the fireclay beneath the Forty Yards Mine. In 1872 the formed Ralph Ashworth and Co. Ltd. to exploit the fireclay under the leased lands. Company liquidated in 1905 after financial difficulties and business purchased by the Dransfield family who carried on the business as a private company - Ralph Ashworth and Co. By 1909 they were producing for home and overseas markets and trade mark for goods was a five-pointed star inside a ring (good pun on the estate name). The works is said locally to have closed during WWII or soon after.   Photo by Colin Driver and info by David Kitching.

Star of David device - P & S Wood, West Bromwich


Station Brickworks, Ledbury

Martyn Fretwell writes :- George Hill & Sons are listed in Kelly's 1913 edition as owning the Station Brickworks in Ledbury. Also see George Hill, Ledbury entry.


Station Colliery Co, Bloxwich



Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection in Birmingham.

Single brick found at Cawarden Reclamation Yard. Traced from List of Mines 1880 to Station Colliery Co. located to west of Bloxwich. Mine had closed by 1880 but 1885 map shows brick works with four rectangular kilns and main building located adjacent to canal. Later map of 1903 shows brick works had expanded with adjacent marl hole and truck track. By 1913, all buildings had been demolished and map only shows Old Clay Pit. Not recorded in Kellys directories or in London Gazette. Photo and info by Ray Martin.


Staveley

From Chesterfield in Derbyshire, Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photos

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found at Barlow near Chesterfield.

The Staveley Iron & Chemical Co. was formerly a subsidiary of Staveley Coal & Iron Company, being nationalised in 1951. In 1960 the company was sold to Stewarts and Lloyds Ltd for six million pounds and it then merged with the Stanton Iron Works Co. to form Stanton and Staveley.


Stead & Co, Jarrow

Mark Cranston advises that the business of John Stead and Co., at Jarrow were listed as brick and tile manufacturers. The business was carried on in partnership by John Stead and William Pawson of Tweedmouth. The partnership had ended before December 1862 when Pawson was adjudged bankrupt. Photo by Tony Gray.


Steele, Longton



The Steele Family appear as brickmakers at Clayton Street in Longton in trade directories between 1860 and 1866. Photo by Ken Perkins.


R Steele, Stone



Ralph Steele appears in the Kelly's Sirectory between 1880 and 1888 but not 1892. He is listed at Ralph Steele, Field Place, Stone.  Photo by Karen Procter, info by David Kitching.

Steeple House





William Buckley, brickmaker of Steeple Grange, near Wirksworth, Derbys. is recorded in Drake's Trade Directory for 1862 & then in White's Trade Directory for 1870, Mrs Buckley, brickmaker of Steeple Grange.  Steeple House must have been were they lived, which may have been in Middleton.  Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell, Brick - Phil Sparham Collection.

Steetley

Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.



Photo by Mark Cranston.



Steetley Co Ltd., Steetley, Worksop, Notts.   Steetley PLC (Steetley) originated in a company formed in the 1880s to operate a quarry at Steetley near Worksop in Nottinghamshire. In 1885 the quarry traded as The Steetley Lime and Building Stone Company supplying mainly hard-burnt lime. The company expanded to become an international operation with several works across the UK and around the world producing limestone based products including chemicals and refractory bricks. It became part of the Redland Group in 1992. 
This brick could have been produced at any one of several refractory brick works.  Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Stella Coal Company

Photos by Steven Tait.

Coke ovens of the Stella Coal Company and Joseph Cowan existed here in the late 19th century on both the west and east sides of the Tyne. The Stella Coal Company and Joseph Cowen also had a staith here, as did the Consett Iron Company.  A guano works and a bone mill once flourished here too. A row of houses with the Skiff Inn at one end once existed at Derwenthaugh, and famed oarsman (and boatbuilder) Harry Clasper once lived and worked here.  Thanks to George for the history.

Photo by Chris Tilney.


Stenson Collieries near Whitwick



 In the 1820's William Stenson sank a pit on farm land just off Long Lane in the parish of Whitwick, Leics. and it was named Whitwick Colliery. With the expansion of coal mining and other industries around the pit, modern day Coalville was born. William passed away in 1861, so this brick will have been made before that date. See Whitwick Colliery and NCB Whitwick entries for bricks produced after Stenson at this works. Info by Martyn Fretwell and photo by Alwyn Sparrow.

Stephens, Fenton



Found near Oakamoor by Frank Lawson

Stephens & Bastow

Found near Exmouth by Simon Fogg. The works was possibly in the Bristol area.


Stephenson - see also N.C.B. Stephenson

Photo by Tony Gray.

Photos by Mark Cranston.

Frank Lawson adds:  Stephenson - (Throckley Coal Co. Throckley, Northumberland). "Throckley Brick and Tile Works. Mr W Stephenson had established a brick and tileworks near the Maria coal pit by 1849, making firebricks, common bricks, quarls, field drainage tiles and soles. Early handmade firebricks were marked 'W.S.& Sons, Throckley', or 'Stephenson, Newcastle'. In the 1920s a new grinding plant was installed and two new brick machine presses. The brickyard eventually had 34 Newcastle-type kilns. In 1951, these kilns were replaced by a 20-chamber Staffordshire transverse-arch kiln, and produced six million bricks per year. A tunnel kiln was built in 1965 and the works modernised by the Northern Brick Company. The Throckley yard is the only survivor of a group of 26 brickworks that were owned by the National Coal Board in 1947. In 1973, Gibbons (Dudley) Ltd took over the remaining nine brickworks and by 1977 only Throckley and Cramlington were still working."

Photo by Martin Briscoe.

Thanks to Andrew Gardner for the photo.

Photos by Chris Tilney.


John Stevens





Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.



John Stevens is listed at the Hurst Firebrick Works, Woodside, Dudley in Kelly's 1936 & 40 editions. There is a mining listing for Stevens Hurst fireclay mine in 1945 employing 14 below and 6 above. The fireclay works and mine were both on Pedmore Road next to the junction with Peartree Lane. The fireclay works was demolished in 1970. Info by Martyn Fretwell, photo by Chris Tilney.

Stewart, Denby



Hugh Stewart is recorded as being in partnership with James Greenfield, owning the Denby Brick, Tile & Terra Cotta Works, Denby from 1869 to 1874. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Ian Castledine.


J L Stinson



 Joseph Lee Stinson is recorded at Brockmoor, Brierley Hill in Kelly's 1864 to 1872.  Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Stinson & Cross, Stourbridge



No Info - Photo by Keith Hodgkins.

Henry Stobart

Kenneth Bowen writes that Stobart was a wealthy landowner and pit owner in Etherley, County Durham.

Henry Stobart & Co. Ltd. owned a number of collieries in Durham including Newton Cap and Woodhouses Collieries in Bishop Auckland. Photos by Chris Tilney.


James Stocks, Sharlston



Found by Frank Lawson at Kirkthorpe near Normanton. J S S  is likely to be James Stocks, Sharlston. Listed in Kelly West Riding, 1873 to 1897. It is possible that the works was on Sharlston Common, where the current fishing lake was probably a former clay pit. Image PRBCO.

Stone



Found on a Staffordshire farm by Cheryl Owen.

Stone Trough Colliery Co.



The Stone Trough Colliery east of Mow Cop in Kidsgrove, Stoke-on-Trent was leased by Robert Williamson in 1832 and the Williamson Family continued to work this and the adjacent Towerhill Colliery until the mid 1880s by which time they were trading as the Stone Trough Colliery Company. They established a brickworks just to the north of the Towerhill Colliery and it was connected to their private tramroad which connected through the hill down to the Macclesfield Canal at Scholar Green. The colliery lease expired in 1882 but the Williamsons continued to work coal there until their bankruptcy, along with the associated Goldendale Iron Company, in 1886 after which the brickwork and pits were closed.  Photo and info by David Kitching and Ken Perkins.

Stonefall

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Derek Barker is certain it was made in Harrogate, North Yorkshire. In the late 19th century the names of James Richardson, and then James Lomas, were associated with Stonefall Brickworks, Wetherby Road. In the first three decades of the 20th century the brickworks formed part of the Harrogate Red Brick Company. Finally, in the period 1938-1965, it was subsumed within the Allied Brick & Tile Company (1938-65) whose brickmarks of [ALLIED] and [AB&T LTD] are already on this website.



Photo by Frank Lawson.





Photos taken in Harrogate by David Gamble.

Stonehouse

Both sides of a Stonehouse brick below.

Photo by Frank Lawson.



Photo by Ray Martin.

Photo by Guy Morgan.

Photos by Frank Lawson.


Stonemarket



A modern concrete wall brick made by Stonemarket at Ryton on Dunsmore, Warwickshire.  Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Stoney Lane





There are no trade directory entries for the Stoney Lane Brick Works at Brinsley, Notts., but the works is named as such on the 1900 OS map situated next to the Cromford Canal on the edge of the village. Brinsley historian Stan Smith has wrote in his book that the Stoney Lane Brickworks was opened by Derby man Peter Newton in 1896 at the side of the old disused Clinton Colliery. Newton then sank a new Clinton pit on the northern side of the brickworks in 1902. The colliery closed in 1909 & Stan writes the brickworks had closed by 1930. Also see the Brinsley entry as the Brinsley Brick & Tile Co. occupied the same site in the 1880's. Info & Photos by Martyn Fretwell. Blue brick courtesy of the Phil Sparham Collection & the red brick was found by Will Moss in Brinsley.

Stourbridge Glazed Brick



Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.



Photos by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.

This firebrick was found near Caerphilly, photo by Richard Paterson. 

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Alan Murray-Rust, found on a farm near Keyworth.





S G B, Dudley. Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.

STOURBRIDGE FIRE-CLAY has a world-wide reputation, and its importance in the manufacture of fire-bricks, glasshouse pots, and for a variety of other-purposes in connection with the Industrial Arts need not be enlarged upon.  Its chief value consists in its refractory character, which enables it to resist the highest temperatures without melting.  Thanks to Darren Haywood for the contribution.

Stourbridge Red & White Glazed bricks - Stourbridge Glazed Brick & Fire Clay Co. Ltd. - Info by Martyn Fretwell:
 In 1892, Thomas Clulee sold the Thornleigh Fire Brick Works and Colliery at Blowers Green to the newly formed Stourbridge Glazed Brick and Fire Clay Co. Ltd. which was owned by Fred Clark, his son, F.E. Clark & Thomas J. Hill. This new Company is listed in Kelly's 1896 to 1932 editions at the Thornleigh Works, Holly Hall near Dudley. The Clark family purchased another brick yard in Moor Lane, Brierley Hill & this was one of the last yards to be built in the Black Country. In 1903 the company owned 40 kilns producing glazed bricks, glazed wall tiles, glazed patent partition bricks & sanitary ware, employing 350 workers. In 1935 the company was sold to S.G.B. (Dudley) Ltd. & is recorded at Blower's Green, Dudley in Kelly's 1936 & 40 editions. During the early 1960's, S.G.B. (Dudley) Ltd, in its turn became a subsidiary of Thornleigh Building Industries Ltd. which was then in 1966, taken over by a company called Five Oaks. This new company only lasted two years & went into voluntary liquidation, closing in 1968. So this ended 150 years of fireclay production at the Thornleigh Works.


Stourbridge P.H.

Michael Raybould found this one in Barmouth.  The PH could stand for Peares Howson?


Straker & Love

Photo by Anne Jeffcoat.



A County Durham brick

Found on Bishopthorpe Road in York by Don Boldison.

Photo by Chris Tilney.

Photo by John Harrison.


Strakers


Straw

Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.  Martyn Fretwell writes: Walter Straw, brick & earthenware manufacturer of Mansfield Road, Forest Side, Sutton in Ashfield is recorded in White's Directory 1888.


Stubbs



Found in Middlesbrough town centre during demolition in 1982 by a delighted Ian Stubbs.

Sturbridge, Cambridge



 It is thought that this brick is Sturbridge Brick Works, Newmarket Road, Cambridge, owned by William Saint. Kelly's 1916 edition also records William Saint's home address of St. Barnabas Road, Cambridge. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Barry Wilson rescued this one from the bed of the River Cam in Cambridge.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

C Stutter, Woolpit, Suffolk



The Kiln Farm Kilns Brickworks in Woolpit, Suffolk had been started in 1819 & from 1855 to 1858 Cawston Stutter was in partnership with William Caldecot at the works. Stutter then took over the works & ran it until 1868. Ancestry records Cawston Stutter was born about 1812 at Herringswell, Suffolk & in the 1881 Census aged 69, he is recorded as being married to Elisa Sarah Stutter, living in Wickhambrook, Suffolk. The Woolpit Brick & Tile Co. operated this works after Stutter between 1883 & 1937, then the Suffolk Brickworks (Woolpit) Ltd took over until 1948, when it closed. Info from a BBS article & Ancestry & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Ernest S. Styles

Ernest S. Styles is listed as brickmaker at Colne Road, Goggeshall, Essex in Kelly’s 1912 to 1925 edition. Styles had taken over this works from Harry Saunders. See Saunders entry. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Next page: English bricks page 20b - Su to Sw
Return to the England index page