"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

England page 10, Letter: H


Ha: below         He to Hi       Ho to Hy

Hadcroft

Hadcroft Brick Works, Pedmore Road, Lye, Stourbridge,
Worcestershire. 1845-1974, by Michael Raybould.

Photo by Ian Suddaby.


Haddenham



There are no trade directory entries for the Haddenham Brick Co. which was in Haddenham, Cambridgeshire. The works was only in production from 1896 to 1904 when the freehold of the buildings, kilns, plant & 57 acres of land was put up for sale. The chimney & kiln were demolished in 1907. One of it's owners for 4 years was John Henry Porter who operated another brickworks in Haddenham & he listed in his own name in Kelly's 1879 edition to the 1916 edition when the entry reads John Henry Porter (exors of). Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Hadfield Birstal

In 1901 Joseph Holroyd Hadfield was a brick manufacturer at Birstall, West Yorkshire. Previous to this he was a greengrocer and by 1911 he had retired. Photo by Frank Lawson.


Hadley's Metallic, Willenhall



Bricks were made from a carbonaceous shale from mining waste, so no marl holes, only surface workings. In June 1967 they were making 25 bricks per minute, 50,000 per day. Bricks were fired in two 18 chamber Hoffman kilns with continuous firing, one built in 1935, the second in 1958. It was a private limited company established in 1935 and employing 55 people.  Photo and info by Ray Martin.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Hadley & Morris, Wednesbury

Photo by Angel Rose.



Hadleys started making bricks in 1876, in 1950 they were making 150,000 bricks per week. Morris seems to have left the business sometime between 1932 and 1936. In 1949 there were three works involved. Hadley Bros & Taylor Ltd., Great Bridge, Hadleys (Wednesbury) Ltd and Hadley’s Metallic Bricks Ltd, Willenhall. The business closed about 1960. Photos and info by Ray Martin.


Hadley Rathbone

Photo by Angel Rose. Martyn Fretwell suggests the following explanation to the manufacturer.

Ezra Hadley (senior) whose main job was a Draper & Clothier was first in partnership with Richard Mason at the Globe Brickworks, Rounds Green, Oldbury in Kellys 1876 & 84 editions before being listed as sole owner in Kellys 1888 edition. Ezra Hadley also owned two collieries in the late 1800’s. Richard Mason is also listed on his own at Alston colliery & brickworks in Oldbury in Kelly’s 1884 edition. Ezra Hadley seems to have died before 1901 and in that year his son Ezra junior was only 18 years of age although he is listed as a brick manufacturer in teh census of that year. Thomas Rathbone was married into the Hadley family and both he and his son Joseph are in the census as labourers at a brick yard in Oldbury in the 1901 census. The 1911 census gives Thomas Rathbone aged 61 as a bricklayer at a brick yard. It is possible that Thomas Rathbone was assisting in the running of the brickyard until Ezra junior was of age and experience to run it himself.


W.Hague

Photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.


Haigh



Haigh, Seamer Road, Scarborough Directory 1892. Photo by Frank Lawson.

George & John Haigh

George & John Haigh, New Lodge Colliery, Ossett, W.Yorks - found in Wakefield. Photos by Frank Lawson.

G and J Haigh had a colliery, and a works for making fire bricks and sanitary pipes at Ravens Lodge in Dewsbury - there was also a second brick works there too . Ravens Lodge is more commonly known nowadays as Scout Hill. The brick works was sold to Mr Ingham in the very early 20th century. Photos and info from Chris Shaw.


J & J A Haigh



Found in Morley, West Yorkshire. Possibly Haigh, J and Son, Victoria Brick Works, Bruntcliffe, Morley. Listed only in McCorquedale, Leeds, 1878. Image PRBC.

T Haines, Erdington



Photo by Frank Lawson.

Haines, Tipton



A possible maker of this path edging is Richard Haines who I have found together with Thomas Hood leased mines at Moat Colliery, Ocker Hill, Tipton for it's coal in 1845. This date is too early for this named brick, but Haines may have gone on to open a brickworks at the colliery & produce blue bricks from the clay found in the mines. Info & Photographed at Four Oaks Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell from the Chris Thornburn Collection.

G. Hale & Co. Pensnett



Kellys 1888 edition lists George Hale & Co. at the Brick & Tile Works, Pensnett, Dudley. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

E Hales, Washwood Heath



Edward Hales is listed in Kelly's 1883 edition through to it's 1905 edition at Washwood Heath Road, Saltley. Info & Photographed at Four Oaks Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.

Halifax - also see entries for Oates & Green and Swan Bank

A slight mis-spelling on this brick found close to the Morton works at Cinderhills, Halifax. Photo by Chris Shaw.

Photo by Darrell Prest

Found near Rotherham by Bob Gellatly.


John Hall & Son, Dukinfield

John Hall & Sons Ltd., The Fireclay Works, Wharf Street, Dukinfield, Cheshire. Manufacturers of Red Terra-Cotta Ridge Tiles, Air Grids, Chimney Pots, etc., Sanitary Pipes, Gullies, Fire Bricks and All Fittings. Established 1792 and closed 1967.  Photo and info by David Kitching.

Photos by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Alan Davies.

Photo by Richard Thorpe.


William Hall



Simon Patterson found this one at Beal, Northumberland. Arthur Brickman writes: I'm pretty certain this could be 'William Hall' who was based in Alnwick and operated the Alnwick Moor Tilery - the only 'W.H.' in all of Northumberland over a 50 year period from the late 1820's, located some 30 miles south of the find site via the main A1 Trunk Road. (Ref: Kelly, Northumberland 1879).



Found at a reclaim site in Milton Keynes by Nigel Furniss. Could also have been made by William Hall  Brickmaker 1885, of Gilt Hall, Kimberley Notts ? (Entry under GILT )

J & S Hall, Bury



Joseph & Samuel Hall - Cateaton Street & Foundry Street, Bury.  Kelly's Building Trades Directory 1886. Info by Colin Driver.


J Hall, Haverhill





 John Hall is listed at Haverhill, Suffolk in Kelly's 1869 & 75 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Hall, Shrigley



James Hall made firebricks at Bakestonedale, Pott Shrigley, possibly having taken over the works from George Lambert who is listed there in 1857. The fireclay was obtained from the many coal mines under Bakestonedale Moor. Hall appears in the trade directories for 1878 and 1883, but is absent in that for 1896 as the business had by then been absorbed by neighbouring brickmaker William Hammond.  Photos and info by David Kitching.


W Hall: see Lodge Colliery


W W Hall & Co

W.W. Hall is listed in Kelly’s 1914 edition at Broadway Buildings, Station Road, yard & stores; Central Wharf, Brook Street, Reading. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Frank Lawson.


Hall End: see Morris & Shaw


Hall & Goulding



Hall & Goulding are listed in Kellys 1879 to 1892 editions at Haverhill, Suffolk. The 1888 edition records the works on High Street & the 1892 edition records them on Hamlet Road. This is the same works as the 1885 map shows this brickworks was situated where these two road met & was on a piece of land between Duddery Road & the Independent Church. Today Mount Road occupies this former brickworks site & from the style of most of the houses on this street they where built around 1900. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Hall & Rogers, Smithy Bridge



Hall & Rogers Smithy Bridge Littleborough. Located at the bottom of Smithy Bridge Road close to the Rochdale Canal and Smithy Bridge railway station. I think it was still there into the 1950's but had stopped making bricks prior to then, concentrating on sanitary pipes. There were quite a few firebrick/pipeworks in this area in the 19th century. It's a white glazed brick.  Info by Colin Driver, photos by Jason Stott.


Hall & Rogers, Westhoughton

Hall & Rogers, Stott's Pit, Westhoughton, Lancs. Hall & Rogers also operated the brickworks at Smithy Bridge (above). Photo by David Kitching.

Photo by Jason Stott.


Hall, Stourbridge

Thanks to Ian Gardener for the photo. Tony Mugridge writes:  J. T. Hall Refractories, Stourbridge. Works moved to Corngreaves Industrial Estate, Cradeley Heath in 1967 and closed about 2008. They speciallised in making firebricks for the Stourbridge Glass Industry but their main trade was making firebricks for the fireboxes of Steam Railway Locomotives in the mid to late 19th century. Their moulds for these (some 1,000) were destroyed the week before I visited the works and was still smouldering. They said that the moulds were of no value as steam locomotives weren't used now. The MD was not too pleased when I suggested that every steam railway preservation society in the country would need those bricks!  The last owner of the Company was Mr John Edwards who was somewhat of a local celebrity as he was a highly decorated Spitfire pilot in the Battle of Britain!



Photo by Ray Martin



Photo by courtesy of Bristol and Region Archaeological Services.  Unearthed during during groundworks associated with the construction of a new food store at Barnes Hill, California, Birmingham.



 Found near Gayton on the disused S.M.J.R. line by Nigel Furniss.

Hall Green, Wednesbury



Information from a 1908 list of mines in the South Stafford area records F.W. Boone as the owner of the Hall Green Brickworks at Wednesbury operating the Moorland Colliery with 3 men below & 2 men above. Also a planning application from the 20th February 1905 for Brick Burning Kilns, Drying Shed, Machine House & Offices at The Aqueduct Brickworks, Crankhall Lane, Wednesbury by The Hall Green Brick & Ironstone Co. Applicants Residence : Stafford Street, Wednesbury.  Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection, with Info by Martyn Fretwell.



Photographed at the Black Country Living Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Hallam



Possibly made by G. Adamson, West Hallam, Derbys, Kelly's 1864. Info & photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Hallatt

William Hallatt, West Melton, S.Yorks. listed in Kellys 1897 edition, then the entry is Henry Hallatt, West Melton, S.Yorks. in Kellys 1901 & 1912 editions. Photo & info by Frank Lawson.


James William Halliwell

James William Halliwell, Waverley Brickworks, Sandal Magna, Wakefield - Kelly's Directory for the West Riding, 1881. Found at Wintersett near Wakefield, this particular example is a sill brick. Photo by Zoe Elizabeth Hunter.


Halmer Tileries Ltd, Halmerend





Halmer Tileries was owned by F. Warwood & E.M. Heald. The works was located at Hayes Wood to the south-west of Halmer End. This brickyard was erected c1935 using second-hand machinery. It made only bricks and lasted until the 1970s.  Photos and info by David Kitching.


Halsall, Bury

T H Halsall Ltd., Walmersley Brickworks, Lowes Road, Bury, Lancs. Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by David Kitching.


Halsall, Littleborough

T H Halsall & Sons, Summit Brickworks, Calderbrook, Littleborough, Lancs. T H Halsall & Sons of Bury took over the Summit Brickworks sometime between 1939 & 1945 and continued to produce bricks there until closure in 1973. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Joseph Hamblet

Found in Southampton, the rope and anchor was one trademark used by Joseph Hamblet. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Joseph Hamblet, Piercy Brickworks, Oak Road, West Bromwich, listed in Kelly's directory 1860 - 1896. From 1900 onwards the company is listed as Hamblet's Blue Brick Co Ltd. The largest of the brickworks in the West Bromwich area was started in 1851 after Joseph Hamblet had acquired part of J. E. Piercy's estate. The Piercy Brickworks was run by Hamblet in partnership with a Mr Parkes until at least the early 1860s. Later, however, Hamblet became sole proprietor as well as manager and in the 1870s and 1880s Hamblet was making blue and red bricks, flooring and roofing tiles, pavings, copings, kerbings, channel and sough bricks, and machine-made brindled bricks. Blue bricks, however, were the firm's speciality. In 1898, four years after Hamblet's death, the business became a limited company and traded as the Hamblet Blue Brick Co. Ltd. The company was trading as recently as 1961 as  HAMBLET'S BLUE BRICK CO. at the Atlas brickworks, Walsall.  Photos & info by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Emma Robinson.



The lower image has J H C in the frog and after much discussion between Nigel Furniss and Martyn Fretwell it has been concluded that this probably stands for Joseph Hamblet Co. Photos by Nigel Furniss.

A blue/black Hamblet pavior (c.2" thick) which came to light during maintenance work at Claymills Pumping Station.  Photo by Alan Murray-Rust.



A red pavior 2" thick. Found at Spondon Reclamation Yard. Photos by Martyn Fretwell



Spotted by Geoff Spink on a bridge over a disused railway in Northamptonshire.



Photo by William Whitehead, who writes:  The Hamblet marl hole was near to where the Hamblets lived - at the Oak House in West Bromwich. The marl hole (clay  pit) became a park when the pit was filled in. I recovered many of the blue bricks from a garden near my allotment close to the parish church (All Saints).

A brick used as a paver at the Ellesmere Port Boat Museum. Photos by David Kitching.

Kerb brick on Grove Road, Beccles. Photo by Martin Dutch.


Hambrook

Hambrook Brickworks, Winterbourne, Gloucestershire. This works had a short working life 1928-37. Photos & info by Eric Taylor.


Edward Hamence

Edward Hamence, Field Gate, Sutton, Cambs. It is believed that this brick was made pre-1850. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Hamilton, Bolton & Bury







Photos by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

Hanson Hamilton

Hanson Hamilton, Hamilton Street, Bury. Barrett's Bury Directory 1880 lists Hanson Hamilton as a Brickmaker & Contractor. Info by Frank Lawson, photo by David Kitching.


Hammer

John Grover, Hammer Brickworks, Wey Hill, Haslemere, Surrey - Kelly's Surrey Directory 1918. John Grover was a London builder who had retired to the Hindhead area around 1895 at the age of 60yrs . He opened a clay pit at Clay Hill (now Wey Hill) to provide the necessary bricks for the many new houses springing up in Hindhead and Beacon Hill. Photo and info by Frank Lawson.

Photo by John Morley.  Also see the entry for Grover.


Hammill Brick Eastry Ltd.

Hammill brickworks is on thesite of the former Woodnesborough Colliery, Sandwich, Kent. Works at the site started in 1910 but the colliery operation never progressed beyond the sinking of two test shafts and the construction of surface buildings including an engine house, workshops and a chimney. In 1923, after the First World War, the mine was sold to Pearson & Dorman Long, owners of Betteshanger Colliery. In due course the site was sold on to the Hammill Brick Co. who built a brickworks on the site using some of the old colliery buildings and working clay extracted from a nearby clay seam within the Thanet Beds geology The brickworks opened in June 1927 and continued in operation until 2006. When the brickworks opened a two foot gauge line was built parallel to the standard gauge line and ran between the brickworks and a clay pit c. 500m to the north-east of the brickworks (another clay pit is indicated c. 800m to the north-west). Despite attempts to keep the site working the brickworks finally shut in 2008. Info by Frank Lawson.



Photo by John Morley.  Jon Driver writes:  They stopped making this type of pressed brick sometime before they closed, changing to simulated handmades.



 Photo by Frank Lawson courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.


J B Hammill, Bridgwater



Photo by Richard Paterson.



Photo by Gareth Thomas.

Photo by Scochki Kolasinac.


Hammond - see Gardiner and Hammond


Hampton & Sons, Hanley

Enoch Hampton was making bricks at Eastwood Vale in 1851 and E Hampton & Sons are listed in 1896 as operating Eastwood and Mousecroft Fire-brick and Marl Works, Hanley. The company was still operating in 1924 but had disappeared by 1940. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Hampton Park, Hereford

A brickworks site of the Hereford Brick and Tile Company.  Richard Paterson writes:  The Hampton Park Brick & Tile Works is described in 'Herefordshire Bricks & Brickmakers' by Edwin Davey & Rebecca Roseff (Logaston Press, 2007).  It was 'a large brick and tile works 2km from Hereford city centre. There were adjacent clay pits, up to 5 drying sheds and 4 kilns which were extant in 1886'. The book contains an interesting description of the works and operations by a Mr Eckley, who worked there in 1936 and 1937, shortly before the works closed prior to the outbreak of war. From 1939 to D-Day the site was used by the US military and it is now a recreation ground and nature reserve. Photo by Phillip Rothery.

Photo by Dan Barrett.


Hamsey



The Hamsey Brick Co. is listed at Cooksbridge, Lewes, Sussex in Kellys 1930 & 38 editions. The works is shown on a 1909 map just off the A273 at Bevern Bridge & situated behind Bevernbridge Cottages in Kiln Wood. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Hamstead



Hamstead Brickworks was established in 1876 with the colliery being sunk the following year & was situated between Old Walsall Road & the Tame Valley Canal. Taken over by NCB in 1947 the colliery closed in 1965 with the brickworks being recorded as in a state of dereliction by June 1968. More info & photos at this link.   Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Chris Thorburn Collection.

Hamsteels



Hamsteels Colliery, Esh Winning, about 5 miles west of Durham, was opened in 1867 by Johnson, Reay & Johnson and traded as the 'The owners of Hamsteels Collieries'. Photos by Chris Tilney.


Hamsterley



Hamsterley Brickworks, Hamsterley Colliery Village, Co. Durham. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photos by Chris Tilney.


Hancock & Son, Exeter

J Hancock & Son operated the formerly Corporation owned Workhouse brickworks at Clifton Hill, Exeter from 1860 to 1939. Photo by Ian Williams.

Mis-spelled example. Photo by Simon Fogg.


W H Hancox, Garrison Farm

Photo by Ray Martin.

Photo by Angel Rose.



William Henry Hancox is listed as brickmaker at Garrison Farm Brickworks, Garrison Street, Birmingham in Kelly's 1878, 79 & 83 editions. Hancox went bankrupt due to poor sales and the administators ran the works until the Midland Brick Co. took over the works. The Midland Brick Co. is listed in Kelly's 1890 edition at this yard. With this brick saying late W. Riddell, I have found that Hancox had succeeded Riddell at this works and Riddell had purchased this yard off William Mansfield in 1869. Also see bricks for Riddell & Midland Brick Co. Birmingham. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Handley, Lincoln

Edward Handley was managing the Patent Brickworks, Burton Road, Lincoln in 1876. He was owner of his own business by 1900 and also amanager of the Willesden & Acton Brick Company in Middlesex. Edward Handley & Sons, Albion Brickworks, Long Leys Road, Lincoln. Kelly's Lincolnshire Directory 1900 - 1905. He died in February 1906. His sons Willaim and Edward junior seem to have carried on the business until it passed into the ownership of the Lincoln Brick Co. Ltd. Handleys also owned a brickworks at Woodside, Croydon, Surrey. Photo and info by Frank Lawson.

Found at Fledborough. Photo by Ian Armstrong.


Handley, Woodside : see Woodside Brick Co, Croydon


Hanford: see also Glover

Hanford Tileries, Stoke-on-Trent. This business was run by the Glover family from the 1830s until c1870 when it passed to William Adams Peake through his marriage to Emily Glover. This example is likely to be a Glover product. Photo by David KItching.


Hange



Hange Blue Brick Works, Tividale, Staffs. Martyn Fretwell writes :- The Hange Blue Brick Works at Tividale, Tipton was owned by Septimus John Sadler & this works is recorded in Kelly's 1904 edition. This is the only listing for the Hange Brick Works. Septimus John Sadler b.1849 together with his son Septimus James Sadler b.1872 also ran another brickworks on Portway Road, Oldbury which Septimus John operated under his own name & he is recorded in Kelly's 1876 to Kelly's 1924 editions. Going back to Kelly's 1860 edition through to Kelly's 1870 edition we find that brothers Samuel Sadler b.1807 & James Sadler b.1817 had owned this Portway Road works & another brickworks at Langley Green, Langley, before James’ son Septimus John Sadler took over the Portway Road works. Photo by Ian Round.


Hangingwater Brick Co. Sheffield

Hangingwater Brick Co., Hangingwater Road, Sheffield, Kelly's Sheffield Directory 1905. Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Hanks Pocklington

Pocklington is a village near York.  Hanks were making bricks & tiles there in the 1880's.  Thanks to Andrew Boyce and the Pocklington History website for the photos and information.



Found in a now demolished building in Pocklington.  Photo by Leslie Waby.


Hannington



Manufactured and found at Swalwell, near the junction of the river Derwent and the river Tyne. Hannington's were owners of the Axwell Park Colliery, in the vicinity of Swalwell, between the 1880's and 1903. Photos and info by Chris Tilney.

Photos by Chris Graham.


W Hanson



W Hanson, 27 Little Portland Street, Sheffield. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Hanwood

Made in Hanwood near Shrewsbury.


Hapton



Hapton Brick Co. Ltd., Hapton, Accrington, Lancs 1897-8 - Hapton Brick Company Limited built a brick works near the Leeds and Liverpool Canal, south of Castle Clough. 1902 - Hapton Brick Company ceased trading. Info by Brian Hartley.

Photos by Frank Lawson.


Hardaxe - see Burn Fireclay Co


Harding



William Harding was described in a trade directory of 1830 as a brickmaker and limeburner of Fisherton, near Salisbury, and from 1832 to his death in 1861 he was rated on brickyards, up to a maximum of four at one time. The RCHM date the building that the brick is in to the first quarter of the 19th century. The stamp is unusual as it on the header and so must have been embossed after moulding but before firing. William was succeeded by his son Robert Curtis Harding who continued making bricks until probably 1907. They dominated brickmaking in the two villages of Fisherton and Bemerton employing over half the brickmakers recorded by the census between 1841 and 1901. Photo and info by Jamie Wright.

See Fisherton and Bemerton Brickyards by Jamie Wright, to be published by South Wiltshire Industrial Archaeology Society.

Harding & Nicks



The Leamington and Lillington Brick Yard Company was advertised in a prospectus of 1883. This stated Messrs Harding and Nicks had for many years successfully carried on one of the three yards to be incorporated into the new company. This will have either been the Victoria Brick & Tile Works or the Leamington Brick Yards. Info by Mark Cranston, photo by Nigel Furniss.


Hardwick

Made in Holmewood, Derbyshire.  It is probable that these were made at the colliery, see next entry.

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo


Hardwick Colliery, Chesterfield

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo

Photo supplied by A.K.A. Demik.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


T Hardy, Nuneaton



Thomas Hardy owned two brickyards near Nuneaton, Chilvers Coton from 1828 & Stockingford (blue bricks) from 1850. Thomas is listed in these trade directories - Lascelles 1850 & Kellys 1868 at Stockingford, Kellys 1872 at Coton Road, Chilvers Coton & Kellys 1876 at Stockingford. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

Hardy & Sons, Hundleby



Hardy & Sons, Hundleby, is first recorded in a trade directory for 1885. The company is then recorded in the 1892 directory as Hundleby Brick Co. (brick & tile makers), the manager being William Joseph Hardy. Continuing under the same name in 1900, the manager is now Frederic William Gresswell.  Photo by Frank Lawson taken at the Museum of Lincolnshire Life, Lincoln, who also supplied the information.



Photo by Mark Cranston.

J Harper & Co.



John Harper & Co., Albion Works, Willenhall, Staffs.   Kelly's Staffordshire Directory 1876 - 1884.
John Harper & Co were founded in 1790 and started life as lock makers in a small factory on Walsall Road in Willenhall. The company expanded rapidly in the 19th century and became iron founders and producers of a wide range of metal products including ironmongery, cycles & oil stoves. They also produced bricks mainly for use in their own factory.  Link to company history. Photo courtesy of the Chris Thorburn collection.

Harper & Moores, Stourbridge





Both found at an old brickworks site in Stoke Bruerne near Towcester, Northants by Nigel Furniss.  Harper & Moores,  Lower Delph Brickworks and Colliery, appear in the 1860 directory as Coal Masters, manufacturers of firebricks of all description, fire clay retorts and other refractory products. They were in business until 1927.



Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.  Martyn Fretwell adds :- The closing date of 1927 refers to the Lower Delph Works & the Company is recorded in Kelly's at another works at Netherend, Cradley from 1896 until the last available edition in 1940. In the 1900 edition Joseph Moore is recorded as Managing Director, followed by Howard J. Moore as M.D. in 1908. From 1921 to 1940 editions only the company's name & address are listed. I have a reference from an article by John Cooksey, who owned this brick, that may relate to Harper & Moores being still in operation until the 1970's in Cradley.



A refractory brick found at Stanton by Bridge by Frank Lawson



Photo by Jason Stott.

Photo by Ian Suddaby.

HARPER & MOORES FIREBRICK CO. LTD., STOURBRIDGE. T.A., "Moores, Lye". T.N., Lye 23 and 3. Established 1834.
High alumina refractories; regenerator packings; fire clay refractories; ground fireclays.
Trade Names: Alite; Lermer; Plumb.


Harpur





John Harpur is listed as brickmaker in Kelly's 1864 edition at Curzon Street, Derby. Info & Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Harriman Blaydon

Photos taken in Beamish Museum.

Photo by Mike Graham.

W. Harriman & Co Ld - Blaydon & Eltringham glazed brick, Blaydon, Gateshead. Front & rear frogs

Photos by Ian Suddaby.

Photo by Chris Graham.

Photos by Chris Tilney.


Harrington



Photo by Frank Lawson.

The Harrington Brick Works in West Cumbria was founded in 1859 by John Graham. Photo by Graham Brooks.


T Harrington, Patent, Dripsill Works

Kelly’s 1860 edition lists T. Harrington, exors of, Madresfield, Malvern & at Worcester. A snippet of web information indicates that the Dripsill Works may have been near Callow End Green, Worcester. Info & Photographed at Cawarden Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.


S Harris, Market Harborough



S. Harris is listed in Kellys 1869 edition at Marston Trussell, Market Harborough. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Harris, Ramsey, Cambridge

George Harris, Ramsey Heights, Huntingdon, (now Cambridgeshire). Post Office Huntingdonshire Directory 1854. See Ramsey Heights brickworks. Info and photo by Frank Lawson.


Harris & Pearson

Later known as E J & J Pearson (separate entry)

Phot by Colin Woodridge. The history of the company can be read here.

Photo by David Kitching.



Photo taken at Ewenny by Richard Paterson.





Recovered by Glamorgan - Gwent Archaeological Trust from the Cyfarthfa Ironworks Coke Yard site at Merthyr Tydfil - apparently Stourbridge bricks were favoured by the ironmasters because of their excellent heat-resistant qualities and because they could be purchased in special 'sets' for constructing curved structures such as ovens and culverts - that may explain the protuberances on the back of the Harris & Pearson Brick.  Photo and info by Richard Paterson.

Photo by Collin Wooldridge.

Photo by Alan Murray-Rust.



Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.

Photo by Rosie.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

HARRIS & PEARSON LTD., STOURBRIDGE. T.A., "Fireclay, Stourbridge". T.N., Brierley Hill 7281/2. Established 1852.
Refractories, including high alumina qualities; insulating refractories; plastic refractory cements.
Trade Names: Harris & Pearson, Stourbridge; Lumen.


Harrison



Found near Horncastle, Lincs by David Rogers.

Harrison & Co.



H & Co. Found close to the brickworks site, it is quite likely that this brick was made by Harrison & Co., Stubbings, Otley, West Yorkshire, listed 1867 and 1871. See also J & B Harrison below. Image PRBCO.

Harrison & Co, Anslow

Anslow is a small village 3 miles northwest of Burton upon Trent. Martyn Fretwell writes; Kelly’s Staffs. 1896 to 1908 editions list William Harrison brickmaking at Anslow, Burton. Then it’s Herbert Harrison, Anslow, Burton in Kelly’s 1912 edition. This is followed by Harrison & Co. Anslow, Burton in Kelly’s 1916, same as this brick. There are no more entries after this date. The brickworks is shown on maps dating from 1881 to 1920, but is not on 1938 map. Found at Cawarden Reclamation. Photo by Nigel Furniss.


G K Harrison, Stourbridge

Photo by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Ian Castledine.



George King Harrison Ltd., Nagersfield Brickworks and Colliery, Brierley Hill. George King Harrison was born around 1826. When he left school his father arranged employment with the Stourbridge and Kidderminster Bank, so that he could learn about finance and business. He later went into partnership with his cousin William King Perrins in a fire brick manufacturers previously owned by Joseph & William King at Lye. This became Perrins & Harrison. They built up similar works at Cradley and Wilnecote in Warwickshire as well as collieries. The partners later purchased a small firebrick works at Brettell Lane owned by John Wheeley. When Wheeley later went out of business they acquired his Hawbush estate and very soon the Nagersfield colliery and site. The Hawbush estate supplied a fine quality of clay and the Nagersfield pits soon joined it in providing clay. William Perrins retired in 1875 to leave the business in the sole hands of George King Harrison. The company became George King Harrison Ltd and it is listed at Brettell Lane, Stourbridge in Kelly's 1888 & 92 editions, and Nagersfield works is added in Kelly's 1896 to 1924 editions.He built an electric railway from the Nagersfield pits to the Brettell Lane works to transport the clay. He died in 1906 but the businesss continued until at least 1960. Photos by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Jason Stott.


J & B Harrison



Listed in trade directories as Joseph & Benjamin Harrison, Leeds Road, Otley, West Yorkshire. Kelly West Riding 1877. Twin brothers and sons of Benny Harrison (see H & CO,) they abandoned farming to make bricks and purchased land at Leeds Road, Otley, erecting several large kilns and using shale rather than clay in their manufacturing. Alas, despite much optimism, bankruptcy occurred within a few years. Information from Lost Industries of Otley (Charles Walker) in the Wharfedale & Airedale Observer, 30:05:1930 - extract, Otley Museum. Image PRBCO.

Harrison & Haigh?



Chris Hall writes from Scarborough: So far I cannot trace a brick manufacturer in Scarborough with these initials. I have two theories:

1.   The last letter is damaged and it is actually H & H which would be Harrison & Haigh who were listed as brickmakers on Seamer Road Scarborough in 1879, thought to be the same site as that used by William Peacock and later occupied by Scarborough Brick and Tile Company.

2.   Haighs brickworks are listed on Seamer Road Scarborough in 1892 (you have a Haigh brick) and may have combined with W C Malton ' see separate entry ' hence H & M before becoming Scarborough Brick & Tile Co. What makes me think this is that between 1913 and 1931 John Malton, one of W C Malton's Sons is listed as the Secretary & manager of Scarborough Brick & tile Co.


Harrogate double pressed

At least four locations of brickworks can be gleaned from the trade directories in Harrogate. The Harrogate Red Brick Company is possibly the maker of this brick. Harrogate, North Yorkshire. Image PRBCO.


Harrold, Diseworth



Henry Ebenezer Harrold is listed in Kelly's 1876 edition as residing at Bedford Square & works in Diseworth, Loughborough. Info & photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Mike Shaw.

Harrotex

The 1931 edition of the Directory of Clayworkers records "Harrotex" as a trade name owned and used by the Harrogate Red Brick Co. Photo by Frank Lawson.


Hartlebury

Simon Patterson photographed this one at Avoncroft Museum


Hartley's, Castleford

Photo by Simon Patterson.

Photos by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Chris Shaw.

Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.

Hartley & Co., Red Hill Brickworks, Cemetery Road, Castleford, West Yorks. Founded in 1875 by Joshua Hartley, son of a Wakefield brickmaker. Brick production came to an end in 1969 due to a lack of suitable clay.


Hartley Brothers, Wakefield

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Phillip Rothery writes:  Trade directories would suggest Hartley Brothers, Outwood, Wakefield listed from 1893 to 1901.



Photo by Tommy Shan

Richard Hartley

Richard Hartley is listed in Kelly’s 1881 edition as brickmaking in Outwood, Wakefield. This works later operated as Hartley Brothers with Richard’s brother Joshua joining him at the works. Photo by John Fisher & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Hartley Main Colliery

Hartley Main Colliery Company, New Hartley, Blyth, Northumberland, photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by Chris Tilney.


Harton


Hartshay

See W Shelton


Hartshill

BCM stands for British Commercial Monomarks, a company formed in 1925 to provide manufacturers with a London address and mail forwarding service.



Martyn Fretwell writes; I have Found two separate entries for the Hartshill Brick & Tile Co. which was just off Shelton New Road, Hartshill. The first listing in Kelly's 1880 to 1916 editions is Hartshill B&T. Co. J & T. Birks, proprietors, Hartshill, Stoke & the second is Hartshill Brick & Tile Co. Stoke Old Road, Stoke in Kelly's 1932 to 1940 editions. This works is still shown on a map dated 1947. Info by Martyn Fretwell. Photos by David Kitching.

Link to Ken Perkins page on Potteries website showing advert of hand same as on the brick. It denoted hand made.


Harvey, Wedmore

Henry Harvey, Wedmore, Somerset. In 1883 Henry Harvey was a coal merchant, corn dealer and contractor at Wedmore and Cheddar. The brick and tile works at that time was run by Charles Savage. OS maps show a brick and tile works to the north-east of the vilage in 1886 and 1904. Henry Harvey is listed as a brick manufacturer at Wedmore, Weston-super-Mare and Cheddar in Kelly's Directory for 1894 and 1897. The site is now shown as Brickyard Farm. Photo by Neil Bannell.


W?? Harvey

This may be from Norfolk. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Harworth





Harworth Brick & Tile Works, Harworth, Notts.The initials V G are those of Viscount Galway of Serlby Hall who was the primary owner of land in Harworth & district. The brickworks was I suspect his estate brickworks and predates the colliery which was established around 1920.  Photo courtesy of Caphouse Mining Museum, Overton, Wakefield, info by Frank Lawson.

Haslam

John Haslam, Narrowgate Brow Brickworks, Royton, Oldham - Duncan's Directory 1889. The works was later taken over by Smethursts. Info by Colin Driver, photo by David KItching.


George Haslehurst



Found in Sheffield. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection

Hasler, Dunmow



Spotted in Great Dunmow museum, photo by Daz.

Haslingden Plastic

Photos by Frank Lawson.

Photo by David Kitching.

Haslingden Brick & Tile Co Ltd., Slate Brickworks, Haslingden, Lancs. The works opened in May 1896 but in October 1898 the business was wound up. A new company was formed in the same year called the New Haslingden Plastic Brick Co. This was wound up on 19th September 1900. Read the history of the works on Bryan Yorke's blog

Lord Hastings



 Lord Hastings owned Melton Constable Hall in Norfolk & his estate brickworks is shown on maps dated 1885 through to 1950. Situated next to the B1110 just south of Swanton Novers the brickworks was about a mile from the Hall. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Hathern Brick Co, Tamworth

The Hathern Brick Co. of Loughborough manufactured blue bricks at their Cliff Brickworks near Kingsbury, Tamworth, Staffs. which they took over from Richard Bennett of Derby after his death in late 1885. Kelly's Warks. 1888 edition is the first listing for the Hathern Brick Co. at Cliff. Hathern closed it's Cliff Works in 1969. Today this former Cliff brickworks site is the clay pit to Wienerberger's massive blue brick works which was built on the former Whateley Colliery & Brickworks site. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found near Thurgarton.


Hathern Station Brick Company

The Hathern Station Brick & Terra Cotta Co. was established in 1874 by George & James F. Hodson. I have only found two trade directory entries for the company & they are in Kellys 1876 & 1881 editions as the Hathern Station Brick Co. (pressed white facings) Hathern, Loughborough. Kellys 1881 edition has a half page advert for the company which lists red & white facing bricks, red & white terra cotta, pressed & moulded into 500 patterns & agricultural drain pipes. It became a Limited company in 1902 & then changed its name to Hathernware Ltd. in 1934 with them specialising in terra cotta & faience wares. The works was situated adjacent to the Midland Line Railway Station on Rempstone Road (A6006) and closed in 2004. The site is now an industrial estate. Info by Martyn Fretwell, photos by Frank Lawson.


Hathershaw Hall Company

Hathershaw is a district of Oldham on Ashton Road. Trade directories list William Brooks junior, Hathershaw Brick Works 1875-1880. Image by Jason Stott.


Hattan, Castleford

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photos by Frank Lawson.

Chas Hattan was one of several brickmakers in the Castleford area. Listed in trade directories at Glasshoughton 1908/ 1912/ 1917 and at Middle Oxford Street 1927 / 1938.  Castleford, West Yorkshire. Image PRBCO.


Haunchwood

Photo taken by Richard Paterson in Porthcawl.  Richard adds: According to the website of Whittleford Park, near Nuneaton in Warwickshire, where the works once stood, the Haunchwood Brick and Tile Works was formed by Mr. James Knox and others in 1870.  It is said that 'The business produced a wide variety of ceramic products as well as blue bricks which were renowned for their quality and widely used both throughout Britain and abroad. The clay used for making the bricks was extracted from the Clay Pool area from around 1894, creating a deep pit which later flooded'. Brick and tile manufacture ended in 1970 and the chimneys, kilns and other buildings were demolished the following year.

H. W. is Haunchwood Works. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found near Thurgarton.

Photo by Jason Stott.

The last image is of a small brick used in fireplace surrounds. Photos by Martyn Fretwell.

This mini brick is known as a brickette and was used for decorative internal brickwork eg. fireplaces etc. Photo by Frank Lawson.

Haunchwood Brick & Tile Co. Ltd., Stockingford, Heath End Road & Griff, Nuneaton. The Haunchwood Brick Company was established at Nuneaton, Warwickshire, in 1875 by a partnership three men and In 1878 it was reorganised into a limited company, the Haunchwood Brick and Tile Company Ltd. The firm had three works in the Nuneaton area: in Haunchwood Road, Stockingford (No. 1 Yard); Heath End Road (No. 2 Yard); and Bermuda Road (No. 3 Yard). Kelly's Warwickshire directory 1876 - 1940. Link to brickworks history on this page


H Hawes

Started in the 18th century several generations of the Hawes family have owned the Factory Road Brickworks situated on the edge of Burwell, Cambs. This example was made by H. Hawes in the mid 1960’s. Paul Hawes was the owner of the works when it closed in 1970, then in 1993 a new works was started by Paul Hawes near to the old works & today this brickworks trades as the Cambridgeshire Tile & Brick Co. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Hawkes

Henry Hawkes was the landowner and took over the works in 1891 and it was known as Henry Hawkes brickworks until its closure in 1957, although it actually lost that title in the 30s. This particular brick came from a fellmongers works where the newest buildings dated from about 1930.  Today the pit is filled and leveled and houses built on the kiln area.


Hawkins Colliery

Hawkins Colliery was also known as Cannock Old Coppice Colliery and commenced working c1840. Joseph Hawkins took on the lease in 1869 and the colliery remained under the control of the Hawkins family until
nationalisation in 1947. The company also opearted a brick and tile works with adjacent clay pit at Longhouse, adjacent to the Wyrley and Essington Canal. By the 1920s Henry Hawkins was advertising a wide range of products from the Longhouse Brick & Tile Works, Cannock. About 7 million bricks were made annually using clay mixed with mining spoil. The works continued in Hawkins' ownership after the colliery was nationalised and remains in production today under the Eternit name.  Photo by Frank Lawson, info by David Kitching.

Photo by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Guy Morgan.


W Hawkins & Son

Hawkins & Son, Knowle Brickworks, Rowley Regis. This works was certainly being operated by Hawkins in 1878. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


W Hawkyard, Elland



W Hawkyard & Sons Ltd., Victoria Fireclay Works, Elland, West Yorks.  Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Haworth



Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

Hay Mills Works, Yardley



 History of the several brickworks which operated in Hay Mills can be read at this link  with Henry Powley appearing to be the front runner in making this brick at his Yardley Brickworks on Coventry Road, Hay Mills, Yardley, as listed in Kellys 1883 & 1890 editions. Kellys 1879 edition records Powley as previously owning the Speedwell Works on Speedwell Road in Hay Mills. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.

C Haywood Junior

Haywood is listed in Kelly's Warwickshire Directory c.1900 at Coundon Brick Works, Coundon Road, Coventry, near
the railway station - Coventry & Nuneaton Branch. Photographed by Nigel Furniss at Coventry Demolition. Additional info by Martyn Fretwell.

Next page: English bricks, page 10a, He to Hi
Return to the England index page