"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

English bricks - Letter: H

page 10a

He to Hi: below    Ho to Hy: next page

Heacham

Photo by Chris Dixon.



Found during refurbishment of the Catholic church, Hunstanton by Eric Rhodes.

Photo by Mark Coker.


Heacham Brick & Tile Works. A brickworks is shown at this location on Faden's map of 1797. The first brickworks at this location was likely to have been a very small-scale village industry. The site was revitalised in the late 19th century when Holcombe Ingleby took possession of what was then known as the Lamsey Lane brickyard. New kilns, offices and drying sheds were built on the site. The brickworks closed in 1914. Photos and information from Frank Lawson.

Photo by Chris Hainsworth.

The location of the Heacham Brickworks was known as Mount Pleasant. Photographed at the Museum of East Anglian Life by Martyn Fretwell.


Healdfield, Castleford

Healdfield Brick Co., Healdfield, Castleford, W.Yorks. Healdfield brickworks was situated to the east of Castleford town centre, close to Wheldale Colliery and east of what is now a cemetery south of the railway line. The company was wound up in December 1912. Photos by Frank Lawson.



Found in York by Don Boldison.



Photo by Nigel Furniss


Heanor



Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Heath, Wolverhampton



Research has led me to believe that this works was owned by Joseph Hill & he is listed in Kelly's 1876 & 80 editions at Alma Street (brickworks), Heath Town, Wolverhampton. In the 1892 edition the listing is for H. Hill, 59, Heath Street, Heath Town, possibly his son. See entry for Hill, Wolverhampton. Info by Martyn Fretwell, photo by Dave Hodgkinson.


Heath House


Heath House brickworks was at the edge of Cheddleton, North Staffordshire, and appears in the 1896 trade directory, but not that for 1904. The poor quality of the brick and the bits of stone in the structure are typical of the products of such small local brickworks where the clay had very little treatment before being taken to the moulding machine.  T Clarkson also ran Heath House Farm. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Robert Heath



Robert Heath and Sons Ltd had extensive coal and iron interests in the Biddulph and Kidsgrove areas and operated brickworks in the Grange area of Cobridge and at Nettle Bank in Smallthorne around 1900. Photo and information by David Kitching.

Thomas Henry Heath

Thomas Henry Heath was the son of a Crewe builder and is recorded in the 1871 at the age of 20 trading as a coal merchant. In 1878 the Post Office Directory shows him as running a brickworks at the end of Thomas Street in Crewe. This must have been fairly new as it does not appear on the 1875 OS map. The 1881 census shows him as a brick manufacturer employing 10 men and 10 boys. In 1891 he appears as a builders merchant whilst being listed in directories as a brick manufacturer. The works does not appear in the 1902 directory and the 1910 OS map shows the site cleared. It is now occupied by a sports centre. Photo by David Parry.


Heather Brick & Terra Cotta Co. Ltd

Kelly’s 1895 to 1928 editions records the Heather Brick & Terra Cotta Co. Ltd, Heather, Leics. with Henry J. Ford as proprietor. Situated on Pisca Lane, Heather it thought this works closed around 1930. BCM stands for British Commercial Monomarks, a company formed in 1925 to provide manufacturers with a London address and mail forwarding service. This brickworks had previously been operated by the New Heather Colliery Co. & Heather Colliery before that. Photo by Mike Chapman & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Heather Colliery



Heather Colliery, Heather Brick Co. Ltd.  Heather is a village west of Ibstock in North West Leicestershire. A brickworks is shown next to Heather Colliery on the 1881 OS map, but there are no trade directory entries for this brickworks at this date. It is not until 1891 when the colliery & brickworks was re-opened as the New Heather Colliery Co. that this company is listed in Kelly’s 1891 edition with Henry Slater Wooley recorded as proprietor. The colliery closed in 1896 due to flooding & low reserves, but we find the brickworks had been sold off before then as Kelly’s 1895 records the Heather Brick & Terra Cotta Co. proprietor, Henry J. Ford now owned this brickworks. Which of the two colliery companies made this brick is unknown. Info by Martyn Fretwell. Photo by Peter Harris. 

G. Heaton, Shipley

This rare Bradford brick was made at Heaton Colliery & Brickworks, which was at the Shipley end of the amenity woodland known today as 'Heaton Woods'. Much of this woodland lies in the north Bradford township of Heaton but, co-incidentally, the brick manufacturer's name was George Heaton although he was a Lancastrian. The site of his brick works was called Taffy Mires and a chimney marked the spot until about 20 years ago. The works was in operation from 1855, or a little earlier, until George Heaton's death in 1874. Despite its reddish appearance the brick is largely made of fireclay which was extracted on site.  Photo and information by Derek Barker.


Heddon

Heddon brick works was situated close to the King Pit at Heddon-on-the-Wall in 1859 and when that pit was replaced by the adjacent Margaret Pit was opened it supplied fireclay for brickmaking. The pit and brickworks closed in the early 1930s. Photo by George Simpson.

Photo by Rachel Anne Smith.

Photo by Mark Cranston.

Photo by David Kitching.

Photo by Chris Tilney.


Hedingham Brick Co.



Photo by Richard Symonds.



 The Hedingham Brick Co. was owned by Mark Gentry & consisted of two works, the Langthorne Works on Wethersfield Road, Sible Hedingham is first listed in Kelly's 1886 edition & the Highfield Works, Purls Hill, Sible Hedingham was opened at a later date. The Hedingham Brick Co. was briefly owned by Eli Cornish as listed in Kellys 1902 edition & the H.B. Co. brick was made by Eli during his time at the works. Kellys 1906 edition now lists Mark Gentry as owing the company again & he continues to be listed at Sible Hedingham until 1917. Mark Gentry's Highfield Works, Purls Hill is next listed in Kellys 1922 edition as being owned by the Sible Hedingham Red Brick Co. & Eli Cornish is recorded as being a director of this company. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell with some info from a BBS article by Adrian Corder-Birch.


Purls Hill works. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Thomas Hedley & Brothers

T H B stands for Thomas Hedley & Brothers who were owners of the Holmside and South Moor Collieries in County Durham. These bricks were manufactured at the Old Holmside Colliery Brickworks at Craghead, 1880 - 1908. Photo by Steven Tait.

Photo by Chris Tilney.


Heeley Bank

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found in Sheffield.



Photo by AKA Demik.

Hember & Cox

There are a few old brickworks around the Baptist Mills area, but which one? The nearest I have found is a Robert Hember born 1839 and in the 1881 Census living about a mile away and given as Farmer and also Brick, Tile and Manure maker employing 10 men. Photo and info by Eric Taylor.


H Hemming, Hay Mills



 Henry Hemming is listed at Speedwell Road, Hay Mills, Yardley in Kelly's 1900 & 05 editions. Info & Photographed at Four Oaks Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.

Hemsworth



Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Hemsworth is near South Kirby, West Yorkshire. The brick works was started in 1903 by Samuel Oakland. He had a Hoffmann kiln with 14 chambers firing clay shale bricks The Brickworks was initially run by two Oakland Brothers and sometime later it became Hemsworth Brickworks Ltd. Clay was obtained from an adjacent quarry. It seems that Hemsworth Brickworks Ltd went into liquidation in 1939. The brickworks appears to have been later owned by The Yorkshire Brick Company Limited. Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.


Hengrave


The 1892 & 1903 OS maps shows this brickworks was close to Hengrave Hall, Suffolk, so I expect this works was an Estate run brickworks as no trade directory entries have been found. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Hepworth, Ellistown

In 1897 the Hepworth Iron Co. was established to take over a business in Hepworth, Yorkshire which had produced clay products including bricks since 1857. Fast forward to 1968 & the Hepworth Iron Co. purchased Ellistown Pipes along with several other small clay producing companies. All production of clay pipes & bricks was then transferred to Hepworth & Ellistown. So this brick is a fairly modern brick. In 1999 Ibstock part of the CRH Group purchased Hepworth’s brick operations for 10.2 million pounds. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Hepworth, Escrick



Quite a modern brick made by Hepworths in Escrick near Selby.  Photo by Carla van Beveren.

Hepworth Iron Co

Front and back of a Hepworth Iron Co brick, found near Penistone by Frank Lawson.

Steve Horn says: Iron was originally smelted on site in the mid 19th century, hence "Hepworth Iron Co" which only disappeared as a company name quite recently after some years of being unused.


Hereford:see Holmer, Hereford


Hermitage, Newbury



The Hermitage Brick & Tile Works, at Hermitage, Newbury, is listed in 1899 and 1915 as run by Eli James Burgess who was a baker and confectioner in nearby Hampstead Norris. The works may not have survived after 1918 and was gone by 1930. Photo by Frank Lawson.

T Hesketh, Atherton

T Hesketh, Wigan Road, Atherton, Lancs.


Hesketh & Wild, Atherton

An uncommon Atherton brick found at nearby Leigh, image PRBCO


Hetton Lyons

Hetton, also known as Hetton Lyons, colliery was in Hetton le Hole, County Durham. Photo by Chris Tilney.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Hewitt

William Hewitt, Bradwell Hall Brick & Tile Works, Chesterton. Hewitt appears in the trade directories between 1904 and 1912 at Bradwell Hall where he advertises as manufacturing bricks and tiles along with ornamental roofing, ridge and garden tiles. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Hewitt, Fenton Low

Joseph Hewitt & Co, Fenton Low, Stoke-on-Trent. The company was established in 1863. Image PRBCO.



Photo by Frank Lawson.

Joseph Hewitt & Son, Fenton Low Brick and Marl Works. The name change to Hewitt and Son was after 1908 and the business continued as such until after 1940. Photo and information by David Kitching.


William Hewitt, Stowmarket



William R. Hewitt is listed at Station Road, Stowmarket in Kellys 1900 edition & was brickmaking between 1895 & 1902.  Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Hexter, Humpherson & Co, Newton Abbot

Hexter, Humpherson & Co Ltd were formed in 1889 by two former employees of Candy & Co. Its main operation was a brick, pipe and tile making factory at Kingsteignton near Newton Abbot. The company did branch out into the manufacture of pottery in the early twentieth century when it took over the Watcombe and the Royal Aller Vale Potteries and merged them into the Royal Watcombe Pottery. It was this pottery which closed in 1962. Hexter, Humpherson & Co were taken over by the clay quarrying company Watts, Blake, Bearne & Co Ltd in 1964 and formed into a new company, Western Pipes Ltd. However, the Kingsteignton brick and pipe making operation was closed down in 1968. Info by Richard Harris, photo by Frank Lawson.



Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.

Reverse of Hexter Humpherson brick. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Heys & Duckworth

Heys & Duckworth, Top o' th' Slate, Haslingden.


Heys, Stacksteads

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.Henry Heys was a quarry owner who came to Stacksteads from Helmshore about 1848. By the late nineteenth century he had quarries at Brandwood, Facit, and Hambeldon. His sons took over the business on Henry's death and as Henry Heys & Sons took over the brickworks at Rakehead from the County Brick & Tile Co. On the death of the eldest son in 1902  the firm was constituted as a limited company, Henry Heys and Co Ltd. The brickworks did not operate for long and in 1917 when the chimney was demolished, had already been disused for some time. Henry Heys & Co continued in the quarrying business, having moved to Britannia in 1919.  Info by David Kitching.



Photo by courtesy of Colin Driver.

Samuel Daubney Hibbert

Samuel Daubney Hibbert is recorded in Kelly's 1876 & Whites 1885 Directories as brickmaker on High Pavement, Sutton in Ashfield, Notts. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Hic Bibi



The name Hic Bibi is from the Latin and means 'here drink I'.  Hicbibi brick works was owned by Pearson & Knowles, Coal & Iron Co Ltd., Coppull, Chorley, Lancashire. The brickworks opened in the 1880's on the colliery site. The works continued in operation until 1959 when it was closed under N C B ownership. Photo by Jeremy Nutter.

Hick & Walker

Hick & Walker, manufacturers of glazed sanitary tubes, chimney tops, fire bricks, white glazed bricks &c. Brick & Sanitary Tube Works, Hunslet Carr. Kelly's directory for the West Riding of Yorkshire, 1881. Photo by Thomas Hayman.


T J Hickes, Old Down

In 1881 Thomas J Hickes, a civil engineer and road surveyor, was living in Shepton Mallet as a brick yard owner & surveyor employing 6 men and 2 boys. The 1886 OS map shows a brickworks at Old Down, Somerset, situated just to the east of Emborrow and just north of the railway. This was listed in Kelly's directory in 1883 as the Somerset Pipe, Tile & Brick Works, Elijah John Barton, proprietor, and from 1889 to 1897 as the Somerset Pipe, Tile, Pottery, Terra Cotta & Fire Clay Works. The site later became a fullers earth and ochre works.


Hickleton

View the page on Hickleton brickworks here and N.C.B. entry here


Hickman & Co, Stourbridge

Photo by Caron Shergold.



In 1896 Hickman & Co had a mine on the Delph, at Brierley Hill, and were producing fireclay and manufacturing coal. There were 9 underground workers and 4 surface workers at this time.  Found near Blisworth by Nigel Furniss, who also supplied the information.



Found around the Hayling Island / Langstone Harbour shoreline in Hampshire by Tony Russell.

Photo by Mike Penny.


Hicks, Fletton (includes Hicks & Gardener)







Henry Hicks, Fletton, Peterborough. The company became Hicks and Gardener Co. in 1891, and Hicks & Co. Ltd. in 1911. In 1927 the company went public as Hicks & Co. Ltd and was soon controlled by the London Brick Co. All found in West Norfolk. Info by Christopher Dixon, photos by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Ian Sutton.


Hiendley Brick Co.



Hiendley Brick Co., South Hiendley, Wakefield, West Yorks. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

W Higgins & Son.

William Higgins & Son., Cheetwood & North Street Brick Works, Cheetham, Manchester. Photo by Frank Lawson.


Higher Antley, Accrington



Higher Antley Brickworks Accrington 1876-c1915.  The works was situated on Willows Lane south of Accrington centre. Opened in 1876 it had various owners before closing around 1915.

The London Gazette dated June 7th 1901 records: - James Lupton - 2, Higher Antley-street, Accrington, Lancashire, lately trading at Higher Antley Brick Works, Willows-lane, Accrington as "Out of business, lately Brick and Tile Manufacturer"

Found in Church near Accrington.  Photo by Colin Driver, info by Colin Driver and Frank Lawson.

Found on Rothwell Heights, Accrington by Julie Cropper.


Highgate

Found in Goldthorpe, South Yorks and is associated with Highgate Colliery in Goldthorpe. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


High Brooms - also see entry for Tunwells

Photo by Richard Symonds.  The High Brooms Brick and Tile Company was founded in 1885 by John Smith Weare. He died in 1890, aged sixty-two. His son, Frank Weare took over running the firm, and he lived at 'The Dell' in Ferndale, and walked to work daily. With the brickworks doing well, Frank persuaded his son, Frank Gerald Craven Weare to take up a directorship in the company, and he took over in 1941 following his father's death. A slump in the building trade in the 1960s lead to the closure of the brickworks, but there is both a road and recreation ground in High Brooms named after the Weare Family. More info on High Brooms.

Photo by Ken Evans.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Emma Cozens.


High Lane Plastic

In 1896 John Booth Davis was making bricks at High Lane, Burslem and from 1904 to 1912 John Leigh & Son are shown here. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Highley



Photo by Richard Symonds, taken at Amberley Chalkpits Museum.

T & J Higson

Variously of Brownlow Fold, Daubhill, Great Lever and Halliwell, all near Bolton Lancashire.

Photos by David Kitching

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by courtesy of Colin Driver.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Jason Stott.


Elisha Hill

Elisha Hill was born in Leicestershire in 1804 and came to Durham with his brother Joshua by the 1841 when Joshua was runnng the Little Stainton Brick & Tile Works. Elisha is recorded in 1851 as runnng the Preston Brick & Tile Works at Preston-le-Skerne. In 1871 he was employing 6 labourers at the works. By 1881 the works was being run by his nephew John Hill who continued in that role until the works was closed at some point before 1911. Seen at Beamish Museum. Photo by David Kitching.


Joseph Hill

Joseph Hill, brickmaker in Heath Town, Wolverhampton, is listed in Kelly's 1876 & 80 editions. Then in the 1892 edition the listing is for H. Hill, 59, Heath Street, Heath Town, which could be his son. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Joseph Hill. Whitmore Reans

Whitmore Reans is a district of Wolverhampton and Joseph Hill is listed in Kelly's Directory for 1876 and 1880 with brickyards there and at Crompton Road (1876 only) and Alma Street in Wolverhampton. Photo by Dave Hodgkinson.


Charles Gray Hill, Coventry



Charles Gray Hill is listed in Kellys 1892 & 1900 editions at Foleshill Road, Foleshill, Coventry. Info by Martyn Fretwell, photo by Frank Lawson courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

George Hill, Ledbury



After ceasing brick production, George Hill continued in business in Ledbury as an ironmonger.  Photographed at Butcher Row House Museum in Ledbury by Richard Paterson.

Hill Brothers

Thomas & James Hill (Hill Brothers), Misterton, Gainsborough, Notts. Kelly's Nottinghamshire Directory 1876 - 1941. Found at Retford. Photo by Team Deps.

Both bricks were found very close to the Hill Brothers Brickworks in Misterton, Notts. by Frank Lawson





Front and back of a Hill's brick found near Gainsborough by Frank Lawson



Thomas Hill senior is listed as brickmaker in Kelly's 1876 edition at Misterton. The 1881 edition then records his two sons, Jason & Thomas jnr Hill as owners of this works. Kelly's 1885 to 1941 editions then records the owners as Hill Brothers, Misterton. I have found that brothers Tom & Bob Hill owned this works in the 1930's/40's & it may have closed around 1946. The Hill Brothers also operated a second works at nearby Gringley on the Hill & this works is listed in Kelly's 1908 to 1916 editions. As well as producing red bricks & floor tiles, the several different brickworks in & around Misterton are also well known for producing distinct white bricks same as this Hill brick. Info & Photographed at Bassetlaw Museum, Retford by Martyn Fretwell.

F A Hill, Redditch





Frederick Augustus Hill owned the Ferny Hill Brick Works, Redditch which was established before 1900. The works is recorded in the 1936 & 1940 editions of Kelly's Trade Directory on Bromsgrove Road in Redditch. History and photos of the works can be downloaded here. Photos and info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Frank Lawson.


P Hill, Garston

Garston is on the banks of the Mersey just west of Liverpool John Lennon Airport.


William Hill

Martyn Fretwell suggests that this could be William Hill, Harlequin, Radcliffe on Trent,
Nottinghamshire. Kelly's 1900 edition records the opening of this works along with his Saxondale
works. Found at Warwick Reclamation. Photo by Nigel Furniss.


Hillmorton



Hillmorton is near Rugby. Two Brickwork's are on the 1897 OS map in Hillmorton, but not on the 1905 map.  Photo and info by Steve Bladon.

Hillsbro

Photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.  Made at the Walkley Lane Brick Works which was owned by Henry Ripley.  These were operational from 1900 to 1904, thanks to A.K.A.Demik.  Also see the entry under Ripley, Hillsbro.


Himley



In 1847 Robert Lucas Chance, a Glass Works owner established the Himley Fire Brick Co. at Shutt End near Pensnett, Kingswinford to supply refactories to his Smethwick Glass Works. Kelly’s 1868 & 72 editions lists the Himley Fire Brick Co. Kingswinford, Dudley with John Bird recorded as Manager. Then there is a gap to the 1900 edition when the name reappears as The Himley Fire & Red Brick Co. Kingswinford ( Red, Blue & Brindled bricks) This entry continues until last available edition in 1940. The next recording for Himley is that the works was purchased by Ibstock in 1963. The Shutt End works was closed by Ibstock in December 1999. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection, with Info by Martyn Fretwell.

It would appear that 'Pyramid' was used as a trade name by the Himley company. Photo by Angel Rose.


Hinchcliff


John Hinchcliff. Brick & Lime Works, South Elmsall, West Yorks. Kelly's West Yorkshire Directory 1901.
Found by David Ashford at Barnby Dun near Doncaster.


Hinckley Wharf



Photo by Alwyn Sparrow

Thomas Hind & Son



Thomas Hind & Son are listed in Kelly's 1885 edition at Strawberry Terrace, Pottery Lane, Retford. The 1891 & 95 editions just list Thomas at Strawberry Terrace. I have found from old maps that Strawberry Terrace was his home address on Pottery Lane & his works was nearby at the end of Pottery Lane. Info & Photographed at Bassetlaw Museum, Retford by Martyn Fretwell.

R Hinde



Robert Hinde, brick and tile maker, Maryport, Cumbria.  Found at Carsethorn, Nr Kirkbean, Kirkcudbrightshire, Scotland.  Photo and info by Mark Cranston.

Photo by Mark Howard.


Hindley Green

Photo by David Kitching.

Photo by Iain Taylor.

Photos by Frank Hilton.

 I have found three brickworks marked on the 1888 OS map in Hindley Green near Wigan. Two where either side of the L & N. W. Railway line, next to the railway station & one was next to Swan Colliery & this brickworks & colliery was owned by E. Johnson (see E. Johnson entry). The 1881 Trade Directory lists the Hindley Brick, Slate & Lime Co., (brickmakers) at Wigan Road, Hindley, Wigan with John Eatock as Managing Partner. All three brickworks had gone by the 1906 OS map. Info by Martyn Fretwell.


W E Hipkiss, Stourbridge



 William E. Hipkiss is listed in Kelly's 1884 & 1888 editions as brickmaker in Cradley, Brierley Hill. He is followed by his son Frank, who is recorded as Iron & brick manufacturer at Lodge Forge, Cradley in Kelly's 1892 & 1896 editions. William Hipkiss is then listed as brickmaker at Lodge Forge in Kelly's 1904 to 1912 editions. Photo by Frank Lawson & info by Martyn Fretwell.

Hipperholme: see Joseph Brooke


Hirsts


Hitch Patent

Caleb Hitch, who was a builder, bricklayer and inventor of a new form of bricks, which he patented in 1827. These are hollow interlocking oversize bricks roughly 12 inches by 6 in by 6 in, designed to economise on mortar and increase structural strength. They feature deep frogs in the bricks to reduce the weight. Their use was mainly around Ware in Hertfordshire but extended north along the A10. Caleb appears to have been born shortly before 1800, and he died in 1851. The Hitch family was quite a large one in Ware, with brothers, and cousins of Caleb involved in many aspects of the building trade, and others who were involved in running barges on the River Lee Navigation. Photos and info by Nick Balmer.

Advert for Hitch bricks from the Berkshire Chronicle, 21st March, 1829.


Next page: English bricks, page 10b, Ho to Hy
Return to the England index page