"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

English bricks - page 10b

Ho to Hy


Hobbs Bruce & Co. Willerby

Hobbs Bruce & Co., Willerby, Hull.   Bulmer's Directory 1892 (Willerby) : Hobbs, Bruce & Co., manufacturers of whiting, cement, lime, and bricks.  Photo and info by Frank Lawson.

E Hobson

Found in a house demolition in Waterloo near Oldham.


M Hobson, Ilkeston



Matthew Hobson owned the Millfield Colliery & it's associated brickworks in Ilkeston in 1876. Info & photo by Martyn Fretwell, courtesy of Erewash Museum, Ilkeston.

G. Hodges, Burton & Winshill

Photo by Frank Lawson.



George Hodges is listed in Kelly's 1884 edition to it's 1912 edition with his works on Shobnall Road, Burton, then with one entry in 1904 for a second works at Winshill. Info & Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.


G. Hodges, Malling

George Hodges is listed at Heath, East Malling, Kent in Kellys 1882 edition. A second works at West Malling is listed in Kellys 1891 edition. Then Kellys 1903 & 1913 editions list George Hodges & Son just at West Malling. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

H Hodgkins, Whittington, Lichfield



Harry Hodgkins, Huddlesford, Whittington, Lichfield, Staffs.

From  Kelly's Staffordshire Directory, 1884:  "There were brickmakers in Whittington in 1840, but the industry did not take off until the 1870's when William Thomas opened his brickyard at Huddlesford. Clay was dug out of the local pits that are still in evidence today and the coal would have been shipped in by the recently completed railway line to the Cannock Chase coalfield. The bricks were needed to build the barracks at Whittington. William remained the master brick builder until 1880. He moved to Mill Street, Walsall, wher he died on 9th November 1887. The business passed over to Harry Hodgkins and his family until its eventual closure in the 1890's."
Ref.- Whittington Trades History, brick found by Frank Lawson in Rugeley, Staffs.

Hodkinson

Thomas and Edward Hodkinson first appear in the trade directory for 1867 at Parkfield Works, Park St, Stoke-on-Trent. The next year only Edward is named as proprietor. The last entry is in 1879 when the brickworks is being run by his executors. Photo and information by David Kitching.


J Hogarth



Photo by Mark Cranston.  Arthur Brickman adds: John Hogarth of Scotland Gate, between Guide Post and Choppington in South East Northumberland, just to the west of Bedlington and probably dating to the 1870's.

Photo by Steven Tait.

Photo by Tristan Sturgeon


M Hogarth & Sons

Reverse side of brick has the location stamped.

Matthew Hogarth & Sons, Choppington, Northumberland. Kelly's Northumberland Directory 1894.

London Gazette - December 14th 1886 NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership lately subsisting between us the undersigned, William Hogarth and Matthew Hogarth, carrying on the business of Brick and Tile Manufacturers and Builders, at Choppington and Pegswood, both in the county of Northumberland, under the style or firm of W. and M. Hogarth, has, as from the 2nd day of December, 1886 been dissolved by mutual consent. All debts due to or owing by the said late firm will be received and paid by the said Matthew Hogarth, who will continue the said business under the style or firm of Matthew Hogarth and Sons.—Witness our hands this 9th day of December, 1886. William Hogarth. Matthew Hogarth.

Photos and info by Frank Lawson.

Photos by Chris Tilney.


John Hogg

John Hogg, Butterknowle, Durham. Around 1860 he was in partnership with John Hymer and Joseph Teasdale as firebrick manufacturers. Info from Mark Cranston and photos by Chris Tilney.


Holbeck

Holbeck Brick Fireclay Works, Holbeck, Leeds is listed in the 1939 telephone directory, though this example is a good 40 years older. Holbeck lies 1.5km south of Leeds City centre.  Photos by Frank Lawson.


Holbrook



 The Holbrook Creek Brickworks is listed in Kellys 1896 through to it's 1916 edition at Holbrook near Ipswich. Info by Martyn Fretwell, photos by Frank Lawson.

For more on Ipswich brickworks see this website.


William Holdsworth

Derek Barker sent this photo and writes: I have only ever seen a single example of the [WH] brick which was found in north Bradford.  If the initials stand for an individual then William Holdsworth is most likely.  His father Squire Holdsworth (1825-1877) was a builder & contractor of Wyke. For 7 years (until 1863) Henry Birkby was his foreman.  In 1869 Henry Birkby opened his own, very successful, Storr Hill brickworks at Wyke.  William was Squire's eldest son, and by 1871 (at the age of 24) was associated with his father's business.  He seems to have been manager (I assume for his father) of a brick-works at Haycliffe Road, Great Horton, Bradford and was sole proprietor of the whole contracting business after 1877.  He was able to undertake substantial projects including: Kirkgate Market, Bradford, Wakefield Town Hall and the Nutter Orphanage, Bradford. William Holdsworth is listed as a brick manufacturer in Bradford trade directories for 1883 and 1891.


J Holgate & Co, Altham



Pickford, Holland & Co.



Alosil D, photo by Mark Cranston.



Found on a slag bank at a former steel works site in Barrow in Furness by Richard Comish.

PICKFORD, HOLLAND & CO. LTD. Head Office and Works: ATTERCLIFFE ROAD, SHEFFIELD. T.A., "Canister, Sheffield". T.N., Sheffield 41191/3 (3 lines). Works: OWLER BAR, SHEFFIELD; CROOK, Co. DURHAM. Established 1899.
"Alosil" Brand sillimanite refractories; P.H. Brand silica refractories; all types of refractory brick, cement and monolithic lining material.
Trade Names: P.H.; Alosil; Basex.

Hollingworth

Found in Eckington N E Derbyshire.  Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Hollins

Photo by Darrell Prest.


Hollins & Co., Port Vale



The Midland Tileries are recorded as being owned by George Hollins, Basford & Viggars, Port Vale, Wolstanton, Stoke in Kelly's 1880 to 1888 editions, then as Hollins & Viggars, Port Vale in Kelly's 1892 to 1900 editions. This works continued to produce bricks & then just tiles until 1955 & was owned by Boulton & Co. who are listed in Kelly's 1904 to 1940 editions. Ken Perkins also records John Cope & Son as being at this works in 1875 & John Cope is listed in Kelly's 1868 & 1872 editions at Port Vale, Wolstanton. Info & Photographed at Apedale Heritage Centre by Martyn Fretwell.

Holloway

Robert Holloway, Yardley, Birmingham is listed in Billing's 1855 & Casey's 1860 edition then Kelly's 1867 & 68 editions. In the census he is listed as a farmer. This will almost certainly have been made at Red Hill brickworks in Yardley. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Holloway Bros



Holloway Brothers operated as the Market Lavington Brick & Tile WorksLtd in the first three decades of the 20th century. Photo by Rog.  Made in Market Lavington, Wiltshire.

Holly Bank



The old Holly Bank Coal Co. Ltd., was taken over on 1st July 1932, by Mr. C. A. Nelson, M.I.M.E., Chairman and Managing Director of the Hartley Main Collieries Ltd., Cramlington, Northumberland.  New Company formed 1935. New Sinking completed. Old Holly Bank Colliery being re-opened. New Brickworks in commission. Output 26,000,000 bricks per annum. There is a 'Holly Bank House' about 1 mile west of Bloxwich, Staffs. Photo and info by Ray Martin.

Hollybrook

A brickworks existed here in the mid 1800s, probably known simply as Chester Park Brickworks. It became Hollybrook Brickworks around 1900, and then Hollychrome. The works ceased in the 1950s, and the pit was filled in. There are still traces of the original buildings, now part of a builders merchants. Photos & info by Eric Taylor.


Holly Bush Brick & Tile Co. Ltd



The Holly Bush Brick & Tile Co. Ltd. is listed in Kelly's 1900 & 1904 editions at Snareshill, Cheslyn Hay, Walsall. Situated on Brick Kiln Lane the brickworks is named as the Holly Bush Works on the 1900 OS map. The 1915 map records the Holly Bush Works as disused, but the buildings are still shown. It appears the works was named after nearby Holly Bush Hall. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Holly Hall

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Maurice Stokes found this one in part of an old wall which has been knocked down in Kingswinford, West Midlands.





The Holly Hall Brick Co. Holly Hall, Dudley is recorded in Kelly's from 1900 to 1904 editions, then in the 1908 edition the company is listed as The Holly Hall Brick & Tile Works Ltd. Holly Hall, Dudley. This entry continues until the 1928 edition when Stourbridge Road is added to the address. 1936 is the last entry for this company. In an article giving Notice of Intended Dividends in the London Gazette dated 9th January 1905, Thomas Priest, Brick Manufacturer, residing at Oakleigh, Holly Hall, Dudley, Worcs. is recorded as carrying on the business at The Holly Hall Brickworks, Holly Hall, Dudley. Info by Martyn Fretwell & Photos by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.

Holmer, Hereford

The Holmer Brick Works was part of the Hereford Brick and Tile Company. Image PRBCO.  Richard Paterson writes:  Image PRBCO. Edwin Davey and Rebecca Roseff, in 'Herefordshire Bricks & Brickmakers' (Logaston Press, 2007) state that, in 1858, there were two brickworks listed at Holmer. One was the Albert Brick & Tile Works (see RPD) and this, the Holmer Works, was the other. Also nearby was the important Victoria Tile Works.







Hereford is shown on the reverse.  Photos by Richard Paterson.

Holmes

Photo by Ian C.  Possibly made at Buckland Hollow, Ripley, Derbys.


Holmes & Co., Shelton



This works first appears in the 1864 trade directory under Holmes and Hambleton, Sun Street. In 1869 Holmes & Co is listed, and the last record I can find is in the Shelton rate book for 1880-81 which lists the proprietors as Edwin Holmes, Thos Maden, Ralph Plant, and Matthew Henshall. It is possible that the business metamorphosed into the Sun Street Brick & Marl Co which appears by 1892. Photo and info by David Kitching.

Benjamin Holmes, Kirkby

Martyn Fretwell writes: Benjamin Holmes was born in Selston, Notts. in 1835 & in 1871 after being a brickyard - labourer he moved to Kirkby in Ashfield to become a brick maker. By 1895 he had his own business on Portland Street, collecting the clay from a field on Lowmoor Road. His two sons, James & John took over the business (date unknown)  & in 1902 they moved the Brickyard to Lowmoor Road. The site covered a very large area from what is now Tesco Express to the Lowmoor Inn & backs up onto Marlborough Road. After John died in 1915, James carried on until his son, William took over the business. The company ceased work when William & his workers were called up for war in 1939. After the war due to the deterioration of machinery & shortage of coal, William did not re-open the yard. The company was well known for producing top quality house bricks & so called " Fancy Bricks" which can be seen on the houses in the streets around the works. Many Thanks to Betty & Joan, Benjamin's Great-Granddaughters for providing me this information.

Made in Kirkby in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, thanks to Darren Haywood for the contribution.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


C J Holmes



Discovered in a terraced house in Warrington by Antony Jerram, origin unknown.

J Holmes, Melbourne Junction near Derby





Although I have no trade directory entries for J. Holmes, the Melbourne Junction brickworks (also known as Normanton Brickworks) is recorded on a 1900 map on Sinfin Lane, Normanton, Derby next to the Birmingham to Derby railway line. The reverse of the red Holmes brick has Derby lightly stamped in it. Info & Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Holmside and South Moor Collieries Co Ltd



Holmside & Southmoor Collieries Co. Ltd., Craghead, Stanley, Co. Durham.  Photos by Frank Lawson.



Found near Newcastle. Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

Holt, Castleton



There was a Holt brickworks in Great Harwood from c1882 - c1900 owned by Edward Noble and Adam Olive.  However as I found it at a demolition site in Castleton near Rochdale, I would go for Thomas Holt, Castleton - listed in Worrall's 1885.  Info by Colin Driver, photo by Frank Lawson.

E Holt, Rossendale

E H & Co. - E.Holt, Hall Carr, Rawtenstall. Rossendale, Lancs. In operation from 1860-1903, (James Ashworth 1860-79, E.Holt from 1880-1903). Now covered by the Hall Carr housing estate. It was one of these bricks that set famous collector Henry Holt on his way to acquiring over 5000 bricks from all over the world. He lived in Waterfoot. Info by Colin Driver, photos by David Kitching.


Holyport Brick & Tile Works

Holyport is 2 miles south of Maidenhead, Berkshire. Photographed at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.


Homer Hill



Samuel Evers & Sons operated the Homer Hill Fireclay Works at Netherend Lane, Cradley from 1888 to 1936. The works was then taken over by E.J. & J. Pearson, who also obtained a number of other Stourbridge fireclay companies in the 1930's. So this brick could have been made by either company at the Homer Hill works.
Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Honey Lane - see entry for Selborne


Hoo Hill, Blackpool



Photo by courtesy of Colin Driver.

Hook



 This works is listed in Kelly's 1920 edition as the Hook Brick & Tile Works (Daneshill Brick & Tile Works Ltd. proprietors), Newnham, Basingstoke. The 1930 OS map shows this works was next to the Southern Railway line at Nately Scures near Newnham. I then researched the Daneshill Brick & Tile Works & this company is listed in Kelly's 1920 & 27 editions in Basingstoke with L.C. Whetham as Managing Director. The Daneshill works had been set up by Walter Hoare in 1903 to produce bricks for the building of his own house, Daneshill House which was designed by Edwin Lutyens. Many more Basingstoke houses designed by Lutyens were then built using Daneshill bricks. The Daneshill Brickworks ornate office building designed by Lutyens which stood at the entrance to the brickworks still stands today on Bilton Road, but it is now dwarfed by the many large industrial units that surrounds it and can be seen at this link. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Hooker, Sevenoaks



Photo by Richard Symonds, taken at Amberley Chalkpits Museum.

Hooper, Exmouth



Found on the shore of the River Exe at Lympstone by Angela Coles.



Found in a garden in Topsham, Exeter. Karl Nill adds: I think the brick originated from the Withycombe Raleigh works in Exmouth. I have been told there were at least three brick works in Exmouth.

Hooper & Co



Please see entry for the Bursledon Brick Co. for the history of this company. Photographed at the Bursledon Brickworks Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Hooper & Ashby, Southampton



Please see entry for the Bursledon Brick Co. for the history of this company. Photographed at the Bursledon Brickworks Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Hooson



Hooson Brothers, Whitehouse Lane, Walkley, Sheffield.  White's Sheffield Directory 1879/1893. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Hopkinson & Bates



H & B (Hopkinson & Bates) - Found Thackley, West Yorks. 2017 by Frank Lawson.  Hopkinson & Bates, Bowling Old Lane, Bradford, West Yorks.   Kelly's West Riding Directory 1870 - 1875.

Hopkinson & Reed

Probably Hopkinson & Reed, Birtle, Bury. Brick found when the Bury Coporation tram shed was demolished. The business is listed in trade directories in 1871 and 1876, and the works was situated on the north side of Rochdale Old Road just east of the current Fairfield Hospital. By 1880 it was listed as run by John Berry & Sons.


Horn & Kelly, Liverpool

Found on the seashore in Crosby, Merseyside. The Ravenhead Sanitary Pipe and Brick Co. was located alongside Burtonhead Road in between Ravenhead Colliery's nos. 7 and 8 pits and nos. 9, 10 and 11 pits. It had been established around 1850 by W. Edwards, David Horn and John William Kelly, trading as Lavender and Co. with premises at Ravenhead Pottery and in Liverpool. In May 1857 Edwards left the partnership and the firm became Horn and Kelly and later the Ravenhead Sanitary Brick Company. In May 1874 the duo's partnership was dissolved and David Horn appears to have taken over the business and in 1875 it was registered as the Ravenhead Sanitary Pipe and Brick Co.  Info by David Kitching.


Frank Horner



Possibly: - Frank Horner, Seamer Road, Scarborough.   Kelly's North & East Yorkshire Directory 1893: - Frank Horner ; works, Seamer Road ; office, 111 Falsgrave Road, Scarborough.  Photo and info by Frank Lawson.

Horridge



Found in Derby by Frank Lawson - made by Thomas Horridge, Awsworth Road, Ilkeston, Derbys .

Horsforth

Horsforth brickworks was situated off Butcher Hill, Hawksworth, Leeds, adjacent to the Leeds - Harrogate railway line. It was worked by Benjamin Whitaker & Sons in Kelly 1908 and last listed as operating in the telephone directory of 1939. Site landfilled during the 1950s.  Image PRBCO.


Horsforth Patent Brick Co

Leeds Mercury 20 May 1878.

The Horsforth Patent Brick Co beg to intimate that their Works are now in full operation, and respectfully solicit a share of public patronage. They have just added additional machinery, on the most modern principles, which enables them to supply a superior brick without extra charge. Sample forwarded on application. Please address all communications to Horsforth Patent Brick Co, Horsforth Woodside, Horsforth.

In 1881 a dispute arose between the partners in the business which seems to have then closed down with the machinery sold off.

Photo by Charles Hindmarsh who found this brick in Horsforth, Leeds.


Horsley - see entry for Bailey


Horwich

Photographed on the seashore at Crosby, Merseyside.


Hosea Tugby



Photographed at Cawarden Reclamation, Rugeley.  Hosea Tugby & Co. is recorded at the Albion Works, Woodville, Staffs. in Kelly's 1876 & Whites 1877 editions. In the London Gazette dated 16th October 1872, Hosea Tugby is recorded as giving notice regarding his improvements to kilns for burning bricks, pipes & tiles. This is followed by a US Patent for his improvements in July 1873. Hosea Tugby & Co. is next recorded at the Briton Potteries, Moira, Ashby De La Zouch in Kelly's 1891 to 1900 editions. In a 1900 web mining reference, the Briton Colliery owned by the Company & recorded as mainly a clay mine, was abandoned with S. Wheatley as Manager. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell. 

Hotspur

Although adjacent to Backworth Collieries 'C' Pit the yard was not commercially connected, its origins dating back to the 1870's when the original 'Foster' firebricks were first produced, and despite changes of ownership the brand continued to be used over a 90 year period, becoming one of the North of England's major producers. As and aside, during the 1930's the firm diversified into the production of red-facing bricks which used the 'Hotspur' name and although this business prospered during the period of WW2, at the cessation of hostilities it was decided to concentrate on fireclay products. Ironically, the works having to finally close in 1967 due to subsidence of the nearby mining activities.  Info by Arthur Brickman.

Photos by Chris Tilney.


Hough & Co, Kings Heath, B'ham



Photo by Ray Martin.



Owned by John Hough, Hough & Co are listed in Kelly's 1899 to 1915 editions at Priory Estate Brick Works, Kings Road, Kings Heath, Birmingham. I have a gap in trade directories until 1940 & in this edition Hough & Co. are still listed. The works closed in 1960. John also owned the Kings Norton Brick Co. on Wharf Road, Kings Norton & a brick from this works can be seen on the K page. Info & Photographed at Oldfield Reclamation Yard, Old Hill, Cradley Heath by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Frank Lawson.


J Howarth

John Howarth, Smallbridge, Rochdale. Photo by David Kitching.

Howden

Photo by Steve Pinder.

Photo by Chris Tilney.



Gordon Hull found this one after a small barn had been demolished at Langley Moor, County Durham. There were two brickworks at Howden on Tyneside one in Howden Dene worked by T W Weir and one in Howden by Weir and Williams obviously linked in some way. Gordon has a date for Howden Dene at 1890 and 1885 for Howden

Howford



Situated by the confluence of the North and South Tyne rivers near Acomb, Hexham. P J Davison in Brick & Tile Works Sites in N E England, unpublished, c1970, lists the works as operating 1884 - 1906 as the Howford Brick Co. The brick was found at Featherstone Park in the South Tyne valley. Image PRBCO.

Hoyland

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by Simon Patterson

Photo by Frank Lawson.


Hubbard

William Hubbard junior is listed at the Steam Brickworks, Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk in Kellys 1879 & 1888 editions. The entries for this works are then listed as Hubbards Brick Co. in Kellys 1892 to 1900 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


W. Hubbard, E. Dereham

W Hubbard, East Dereham Found near Gressenhall, Norfolk by Chris Dixon. William Hubbard is listed in Kellys 1869 edition at High Street, East Dereham, Norfolk. Information by Martyn Fretwell.


Huddersfield

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photos by Jason Stott.


Hudsons, West Hoathly

Jon Driver writes: works now owned by Ibstock brick, who still use this frog marking.


Hudspith



Nelson and Co. of Carlisle opened a firebrick works at the South Tyne Colliery in 1848 known as the South Tyne brick works on either side of Haltwhistle beck. By 1861 Thomas Hudspith was renting the works from them and they sold the works to William Hudspith by an agreement dated 16th February 1866. The works consisted of brick and tile kilns, drying flats, engine house, clay house and machine house.   By 1870 there was little room for expansion and William Hudspith opened the South Tyne Sanitary Pipeworks by the railway. The works closed by 1917.  Listed in the 1884 and 1894 Kelly's directories. Not to be confused with Hudspith of Wishaw, Scotland.  Photo and info by Solway Past.

Photo by Ian Suddaby, seen at Bowness-on-Solway.


J W Huelin Ltd

Richard Watson Found at St Helier. Photo by Richard Watson.


B Hughes



B. Hughes is listed at Kingswinford, Dudley in Kelly's 1860 edition. Info by Martyn Fretwell & Photo by Keith Hodgkins.

Hughes, Cobridge





Photographed at Macclesfield Reclamation yard by Martyn Fretwell. John Hughes was a partner in earthenware manufacturing at Waterloo Road Works and Bleak Hill Pottery in Burslem/Cobridge. He appears to have opened a brickworks at Bleak Hill during the 1840s and is listed as a brick manufacturer in the 1851 census. In 1861 he was employing 17 men, 6 women and 4 boys. The business seems to have passed to John's son Elijah around 1870.

Around 1870 Elijah Forrester Hughes took control of the brickworks at Bleak Hill started by his father John in the 1840s. In 1881 the census shows him as a fire brick manufacturer employing 11 men. he moved his home from Burslem to Little Haywood by 1891 and retired from the business before 1901. The last entry for this works in the trade directories is in 1896. Phots and info by David Kitching.

Hughes Bros. Old Hill

Martyn Fretwell writes :- The Hughes Brothers are listed at Station Road, Old Hill, Staffs. in Kelly's 1908 to 1940 editions. Photo by Frank Lawson.


R J Hughes, Liverpool


Hulland & Warner

Hulland and Warner are listed in the 1851 White's Directory of Staffordshire at Springfields, Trent Vale. Photo by David Kitching.


Hulme & Schofield

Hulme & Schofield Plastic Brick Co. Horwich. Listed in Kelly 1918 at Victoria Works, Victoria Road, Horwich near Bolton, info by PRBCO, photos by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Elaine Hill.


Hulton, Bolton

Photographed on the seashore at Crosby, Merseyside.

Hulton Brickworks, Pendlebury Fold, Bolton The Hulton Colliery Company was a coal mining company operating on the Lancashire Coalfield from the mid 19th century in Over Hulton and Westhoughton. William Hulton established the Hulton Colliery Company in 1858 with a partner, Harwood Walcot Banner. After Hulton's death in 1864 his son, William F. Hulton succeeded him and became the sole owner in 1868 when the partnership was dissolved. The company sank pits near Chequerbent. The Arley Pits and the School Pit were sunk north of the Manchester road and older workings were abandoned. The new pits were linked to the Bolton and Leigh Railway line at Pendlebury Fold where the company built brickworks. Photo and info by Frank Lawson.

Humberstone



The Humberstone Brick Co. was on Morton Road, West Humberstone, Leics. & was managed by M. Adey Forrest. The works is recorded in Kelly's from 1895 to 1900 editions. Info by Martyn Fretwell, photo by Frank Lawson.

Humble

A 'Humble' Firebrick, produced at Eltringham in the Tyne Valley, dating probably to the 1870's at the latest, and before the establishment of the Colliery Brickworks. Info by Arthur Brickman, photo by Chris Tilney.


Humpage & Gough

Atlas Works, Garrison Lane, Birmingham. Alfred Humpage, a builder & property/land speculator persuaded George Savage to sell him the works & this takeover may have taken place in 1875. Humpage then set about producing bricks for the several buildings that he was involved in building in the centre of Birmingham. At some point before selling the works in 1876 he seems to have been in partnership with Thomas Gough who went on to own the Atlas works along with Jacob Sames. Info by Martyn Fretwell, photo by Angel Rose.


Huncoat, Accrington see also Accrington Redac

The centre word is DURO - short for durable?

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Thanks to Brian Hartley for the photo

Photo by Richard Paterson



Photo by Frank Lawson.

Side view of brick above. Photos by Susan Lomax.



Huncoat Plastic Brick & Terra Cotta Co. Ltd., Yorkshire Street, Huncoat, Accrington, Lancs. It seems that the company was founded in 1884, went into liquidation in 1918, was purchased by Benjamin Whitaker & Co. of Leeds and subsequently became part of the Redland Group prior to eventual closure. Info by Frank Lawson, photos by David Kitching.

Photo by Jason Stott.


Hunnex: see West Hunwick Silica and Firebrick Co. Ltd


Hunt



W. Hunt, Bolehill, Wirksworth is listed Kelly's 1855 & 1864 editions. Info & Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Robert Hunt

Robert (Bob) Hunt, produced bricks between 1891 to 1896 at his small works behind 25 & 27 Ripley Road, Heage, Derbys. These two houses were the last houses to built using his bricks after he went bankrupt in 1896. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


William Hunt

William Hunt, Broadway Lane, Oldham. c.1848. Photo by David Kitching.

Hunter



A very crudely made 'HUNTER' brick made by the Charlaw & Sacriston Collieries Company in the 1870s. The name 'HUNTER' related to the company owner at the time, later bricks were marked 'CHARLAW', see separate entry.  Photo and info by Ian Hunter.

Photos by Chris Tilney.


Hunter Walker

Photo by Tony Gray


Huntly



This Huntly brick was made in the 1890’s at the Haddon Brickworks owned by the 11th
Marquess of Huntly, Charles Gordon who lived at Orton Longueville Hall near Peterborough. This
Estate brickworks is shown on the 1887 OS map to the south-west of Orton Longueville village on
Ermine Street & is shown disused on the 1902 OS map. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the
Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

Hunwick



West Hunwick Silica & Firebrick Co Ltd, Bishop Auckland.  Photo and info by Mark Cranston.

Hunwick & Newfield

H & N is believed to represent Hunwick & Newfield, two collieries on opposite sides of the River Wear that were operated by Bolckow, Vaughan & Co. Ltd. in the later 19th century. The brickworks at Newfield is likely to have been where these firebricks were made. Found on the old ironworks slag bank at Ulverston. Photo by Richard Cornish.

Photos by Chris Tilney


Hurdiss & Co

Martyn Fretwell photographed this one at Avoncroft Museum



Found in the river Teme at Knighton, Powys. Image PRBCO.

Over the years the Hurdiss family seem to have an interest in a number of brickworks ranging from Hadcroft at Stourbridge to Stonehouse and the Barbourne works near Worcester was just one of these.


Hurst, Greave



This is almost certainly a Lancashire brick as it was found in Oldham. The Greave on the reverse may refer to an area in Oldham, Rochdale or Bacup.


Hutchins



Found near Stratford on Avon by Alwyn Sparrow.

Hutchinson & Hill



No Info. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Robert Hutson



Robert Hutson is listed as brickmaker at Eastwood, Rochford, Essex in Kellys 1899 to 1906 editions. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Hyatt Bros.

The Hyatt brothers lived in the parish of Wolstanton, Newcastle-under-Lyme.  The two brothers, who were farmers, had their brick and tile yard, which was known as Highfield Tileries, behind Morton House in Wolstanton near to the Wolstanton Colliery (coal&clay).  It is known that the yard was being worked in the 1860s and the Hyatt brothers are known to have worked the yard until the 1890s.  This yard was reopened in the early 1900s by G.H.Downing, it was still making bricks and tiles until the 1920s when it was eventually closed.  Photo and description by Ken Perkins.


Hydraulic

  Made at Patent Hydraulic Saggar, Brick, & Marl Co. Limited, Boundary Street, Hanley.  Photos and info by David Kitching.


Hyndburn, Accrington

Photo by courtesy of John Tibbles



Photo by Richard Paterson

Next page: English bricks, page 11, Letter I 
Return to the England index page