|Grid Reference||SO 31285 063445|
|Date of visit||9 July 2017|
A preserved bank of three kilns adjacent to the Brecon & Abergavenny Canal.
The Brecknock & Abergavenny Canal Company (B&A) bought the land in 1810 for 'making Coal and Lime Wharfs in Mr Sparrow's wood'. John Sparrow, a Staffordshire solicitor, had bought the site in 1776 or 1777. He also owned land at Raglan and near Usk. He was secretary to the Trent & Mersey Canal and one of the B&A's early shareholders in 1793. The B&A paid £195 for the Goytre land when it extended its canal from Govilon to Pontymoile.
The canal company built two limekilns in 1810 and a third in 1812. They were leased to two men, including Thomas Dunn of Goytre Hall. Each kiln has two draw tunnels Limestone and coal was carried by boat from Gilwern for use in the kilns.
|© David Kitching 2020||
Page last updated 17.11.2020