|Date of visit
|21 August 2003 & 31 January 2009
A remarkable survivor, the limekiln at High Lane lie below the bank on which runs the branch off the Macclesfield Canal which served High Lane wharf and also a private arm to the Norbury and Middlewood collieries of Clayton and Brooke.
In 1907 when the 25inch Ordnance Survey map (left) was revised the kiln was already out of use. It appears to have been operating in the 1870's when the first large scale maps were surveyed.
A close inspection reveals that there are two pots to this kiln with draw holes to the left and right of the draw tunnel . There is a carved face in the keystone of the arch to the tunnel.
Today it lies in the grounds of a private dwelling and is used as a store.
Back to Cheshire limekilns index
© David Kitching 2010
Page last updated 6.11.2010