The Athy Brick & Tile Co Ltd started production in 1893. '120,000 was expended on machinery and buildings on a site on the Monasterevan road at the northern side of the town. Weekly output was around 80,000 bricks and the principal market was Dublin. Octagon, bull-nose, and every variety of moulded brick were made. Photo and information by David Kitching.
Made in Coolaney, County Sligo. The brickworks remains in ruins. Photo by Mirko Fehrman.
Kingscourt is a town on the County Cavan-County Meath border in the Republic of Ireland. A notable employer in the town today is Kingscourt Brick, now part of the Lagan Group. Photo and information by David Kitching.
On the shores of Lough Allen between Tarmon and Drumkerran was the Lough Allen Brick Works, a factory set up in the early 19th century by the Limerick Steamship Company. The raw material, clay and shale which were used in the brick making were mined a short distance from the jetty, and coal used in the baking of the brick was taken from nearby coal pits. Fire bricks, pipes and tiles were manufactured until closure in the 1920s. Photo and information by David Kitching.