Photos by Ray Martin.
Found at North Shropshire Recycling yard by Martyn Fretwell. Martyn adds:- The Adderley Park Brick Co. Ltd. is recorded in Kelly's Directory on Bordesley Green Road, Saltley, Birmingham from the 1878 edition through to the last available edition in 1940. I have found a reference to a George Burke being the manager of this works between 1880 & 1891 & owners of this brickworks have included Albert Cotton, Henry France, J.J. Edwards, Robert Elson, John Moffat & George Petford all between 1864 & 1933, reference from the Trade Associations of Birmingham Brickmasters. More can be read about George Burke and this brickworks on Stuart Mugridge's web site :- http://2yearsatmargaretstreet.wordpress.com/tag/adderley-park-brickworks/
Photo by Martyn Fretwell from the Chris Thornburn Collection.
Thought to be from the late 1930s or early 1940s. "CLA-WOOD" was a trade mark for their fixing and partition bricks. Photo by Andy Tunstall.
Ainley's works was opposite that of David Sharratt on the other side of Huddersfield Road in Elland. The 1896 List of Mines shows him owning Storth Mine which produced Coal and Fireclay. Sharratts also had a Storth Mine, just to confuse matters. The 1901 Directory of Clayworkers lists Ainley, Walter, Huddersfield Road, Elland. Photo by Jason Stott.
This Shipley is in West Yorkshire near to Bradford. The area is known for seams of coal, brick making shale and fireclay. The brick itself was found at nearby Frizinghall Railway Station. The most likely brick maker was George Stelling Hogg who between 1865 & 1875 traded as the Airedale Brick and Tube Co. The address of the works is simply stated to have been 'Keighley Road, Shipley' but I have never seen a map showing its exact location. The company employed 51 men and 17 boys; it owned a coal mine and made a combination of bricks, sanitary tubes, glazed closet pans and chimneys. There were 3 or 4 other brick works in the immediate area but no others used 'Airedale' in their company names. Thanks to Derek Barker for the photo and information.
Albion Clay Co Ltd, Woodville, Burton-on-Trent. The company first appears in trade directories at the Albion Works in 1891. Production of firebrick seems to have ended after 1899 and by 1912 the business seems to have been involved in production of glazed pipes and conduit along with the sale of fireclays. The business was acquired by the Hepworth Iron Company in 1960. Photo by Chris Smart.
The Alfreton Brick Company were in operation by 1895 & their brickworks was situated off Alma Street on land which today is partly industrial and part Alfreton Town's football ground. Sometime between 1916 & Kelly's 1922 edition when they are listed as the Alfreton Brick and Tile Co. Ltd., works; Mansfield Road, Alfreton, the company had relocated to James Lawrence's works on Meadow Lane, just off Mansfield Road in Alfreton. The last trade directory for A. B. & T. Co. is Kelly's 1928 edition. Photos and info by Martyn Fretwell.
Glazed brick manufacturers established by Henry Victor Allen when he took over the Halifax Glazed Brickworks in the Walterclough Valley. He converted the works to manufacture refractory bricks. Their Sefrac refractory bricks were world famous. First listed in trade directories in 1904, the works site lies at the foot of a deep valley near Hipperholme, working until circa 2008. At one time the bricks were carried by narrow-gauge railway up the valley to the sidings at Hipperholme station.
Photos by Darrell Prest.
Simon Patterson sent this photo of the rear of an Allen brick.
Photos by Chris Tilney.
Front and back of an Allen brick. Photos by David Kitching.
Photos by Jason Stott.
Robert Alfred Allen and Sons, Ballingdon, Sudbury, 1886 - 1909. The business was dissolved by Robert Basil Allen on the 22 April 1909. It was latterly trading as Allen & Boggis. Info by Jon Allen, a descendant of the owners. Photo by Donald Harrison.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
John Allen, Newton Heath, Manchester. Slater's Manchester Directory, 1869. Photo by David Kitching.