"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

England page 22a  Letter: Wh to Wi


Whaddon

Made by Harry Hand at Whaddon near Salisbury.  Photo and info by Andrew Poole.


Wharncliffe Silkstone Colliery Co. Barnsley

Photos by Frank Lawson.



Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.


Wharncliffe, Woodmoor

Wharncliffe Woodmoor Colliery, Carlton, Royston, South Yorkshire. Closed 1966. 'A brickyard associated with the colliery produced some 50,000 bricks a week' - A Hill, The South Yorkshire Coalfield, 2001. Other bricks from this site stamped WOODMOOR and W M.  Image PRBCO.

Photo by Frank Lawson.


John Thomas Wharton


John Thomas Wharton of Skelton Castle, the local landowner and proprietor of Carrs Tilery at Margrove Park. Carrs Tilery operated from 1867 until 1879, it produced land drains, pipes, tiles and bricks used by the Skelton Estate and the local ironstone mines. It is also believed the works produced the bricks for the houses at Margrove Park. Photos and info from Frank Lawson. For further information visit the hidden-teesside website.

Photo by Hitman, Flickr - CC BY-NC 2.0.


Wharton & Chambers, Kirkby


Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Martyn Fretwell adds: In the 1916 edition of Kelly's Directory, Wharton & Chambers are recorded at Hodgkinson Road, Kirkby in Ashfield, Notts.


Wheal Grey

Operational between 1878 and c.1900 the Wheal Grey Clay and Brickworks were located near the village of Gremoe in Cornwall. The W.A on the bricks stands for the owner and manager William Argall who built a Scrivener kiln here in 1878 and operated the works until his retirement in 1893 when the leases were acquired by Messrs. Holman, Harvey and Thomas, who in turn were bought out by Lovering & Co. Info by Lyn Bostock, photo by Jeremy Nutter.


Wheatly Triton, Heavy Duty



Wheatly & Co. are listed in Kellys 1896 to 1940 editions at Springfield Tileries, Newcastle, Staffs. This works had been established by the Wheatly family in 1819. Kellys 1872 to 1884 editions records Wheatly & Cooper at the Springfield works. Wheatly & Co. continued to operate the Springfield works after the last trade directory entry until it was taken over by Daniel Platt in 1978. Wheatly & Co. are also listed as operating a second works at Cobridge, Burslem in Kellys 1892 edition. More info at this Link. Info and photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by David Kitching.


Wheeldon Mill

This works was near Chesterfield and was in operation by 1896, thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo.


Henry Wheeler



Henry Wheeler, Tylers Green, High Wycombe, Bucks. The only TD's that I have found are for George Wheeler at Tyler's Green, High Wycombe in Kellys 1903 to 1915 editions & Henry may have been at this works before George. George Wheeler was also a builder. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Wheelock, Bromsgrove



  Henry Wheelock who originated from Leicestershire in 1879,  is recorded as brick & tile maker / coal merchant at Newton Linthurst, Blackwell near Bromsgrove in the Bromsgrove Almanack & Trade Directory between 1879 & 1886. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Wherstead



Made in Ipswich Suffolk, photo by Des Pawson.  Borin Van Loon has a website on the Ipswich brickyards here.

Whetstone

It is thought this brick was made at Whitwick Colliery brickworks while under the ownership of Joseph Whetstone or his brother William Whetstone between 1860 & 1878 Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Whett

The Whetty Brick & Tile Co. Rednal, Birmingham is listed in Kelly's 1908, 12 & 16 editions. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Whinney Hill Plastic, Accrington

Photo by David Kitching.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Whitaker, Darwen & Mill Hill

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.



Found in Burnley by Pat Woolven.

Photo by Bill Duff.


Whitaker, Leeds

Bricks were made at Pool Bank and Horsforth from 1881 marked B W S or Horsforth.  In 1901 Benjamin Whitaker had a branch at Peak/Ravenscar where bricks marked B W S and Ravenscar can be found. By 1923 B Whitaker & sons (1923) Ltd had works in Bramley, Horsforth, Holbeck and Kirkstall and owned the Leeds Patent Brick Co. and Huncoat Plastic Brick & Terracota Co. in Accrington.  An Elland Road site had been opened by 1929 with bricks marked Whitaker/Elland Road/ Leeds.  The commonly seen red facing bricks marked Whitaker/ Leeds were probably made at Elland Road.  Soothill Brickworks, Woodkirk was owned by 1949 and the company is last listed in a telephone directory of 1971.  Info PRBCO.

Michael Hammett writes:  This is from B. Whitaker & Sons Ltd, Elland Road Brickworks, Leeds.  They used Lower Coal measure Clay (below Beeston coal). Photo by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Malcolm Holt.

Photo by David Kitching.

Photos by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Jason Stott.





Both found by Nigel Megson in South Yorks.  Presumed to be made by Whitakers, Leeds.

Whitaker, Lyons St.



Benjamin Whitaker Jnr., Lyons Street Brick Works, Sheffield:  White's Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham 1905.  Photo and info by Frank Lawson.

Whitaker, Ravenscar

Benjamin Whitaker & Sons, Ravenscar Brickworks, Ravenscar, North Yorks. The brickworks was owned by Whitakers of Leeds and opened soon after 1900. It closed in the 1930s. Photo by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Chris Cooper.


Clifford White

Photo by Ken Evans.





Clifford White & Co, are listed in Kellys 1922 to 1937 editions at West Mersea, Colchester & Weeley, Clacton on Sea. It appears Clifford White was a builder, brickmaker, shop owner, draper, builders merchant, timber merchant & undertaker, so a bit of an allrounder. Photos of the two works at this Link. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


John Bazley White



John Bazley White is listed at Erith, Kent in Kelly’s 1882 & 1891 directories. Photos by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.


R White



Robert White, Lady's Bridge, Wicker & Brightside Lane, Sheffield: Directory & Topography of Sheffield 1862.  Photo and info by Frank Lawson.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.


Whitebirk



Discovered amongst demolition rubble in Central Manchester, this refractory brick is likely to have derived from a brickworks at Whitebirk, near Blackburn. The exact provenance is uncertain, although it may have been a product of the Queen Red Facing Brick Co Ltd, an unsuccessful brickworks that was started in about 1903. Following early failure, the company was reformed in 1907 by George Knowles as the Queen Brick Co (Blackburn) Ltd. Production appears to have been very sporadic, and the company was liquidated in 1909.  Photo and info by Ian Miller.

Whitehaven Firebrick Co

Photos by Chris Graham.

These are almost certainly a product of the earlier Whitehaven Firebrick Company and made between the 1850s and the 1870s. The later Whitehaven Brick & Tile Works (see below) was opened on the same site in 1912. Info and photo by Ian Suddaby.


Whitehaven Brick & Tile Co Ltd

Opened in 1912 on the site of the former Whitehaven Firebrick Co. Kelly's trade directory 1921 - 1929 lists The Whitehaven Brick & Tile Co Ltd, Low Road, Whitehaven. Photo by Chris Graham.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Found on Seascale beach by Sam Gary, note the reversed E.

Photo by Ian Suddaby.


Whitehead, Ilkeston



John Whitehead, brickmaker at Bath Street, Ilkeston is listed in White's 1857 edition. Photographed in Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell who also supplied the info.

Whitehead, Nottingham



William Whitehead is recorded as brickmaker at St Ann's Hill Road, Nottingham in Kelly's 1855 & White's 1864 editions. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Henry Whitehead

Henry Whitehead is recorded in Kelly's trade directory for 1893 and the 1901 directory of clayworkers at Newport, East Yorkshire with a depot at Great Union Street, Hull. There were a number of brickworks at Newport and Henry Whitehead was also recorded as a coal merchant there in 1891. By 1901 he is listed as a coal merchant in Hull. This brick was found on the beach at Withernsea. Photo by Dave Cunningham.


J Whitehouse, Bloomfield



James Whitehouse is listed in Kelly's 1860 to 1888 editions at Bloomfield, Tipton as a blue brick manufacturer. Then the entry in Kelly's 1892 & 96 editions is The Bloomfield Brick Co. (late James Whitehouse), Bloomfield, Tipton. This works is then listed as The Bloomfield & Stourbridge Blue & Red Brick Co. Bloomfield in Kelly's 1900 & 04 editions. Also see Bloomfield entry. Info & Photographed at the Black Country Living Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Whitehouse, Nottingham



 Photo by Martyn Fretwell. Courtesy of Nottingham City Museums & Galleries.

Whitfield, Gloucester

G. T. Whitfield opened his brickworks on Robins Wood Hill, Tuffley, Gloucester, in the early 1890s. It was closed by the 1950s.


Whitfield, Walsall



Photo by Ray Martin.



The nearest match I can find for Whitfield is John & Thomas Whitefield, Dark Lane, Walsall who are listed in Kellys 1888 to 1904 editions. The 1900 OS map shows the Whitefield's brickworks was next to Henry Boys's Paddock Brick Works on Dark Lane & today this road is known as Lincoln Road & houses are built where both brickworks had stood. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Whitstone



Whitstone Brick & Tile Co Ltd, Bridgrule, Holsworthy SS263015. Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

John Whittaker, Royton

John Whittaker, Oldham Road, Royton. Worrall's Directory of Oldham, 1879. Found in Oldham.


Whittingham & Co, Birkenhead



This brick came from a house in Palm Grove, Claughton, Birkenhead called "Chandos Montana". It was a large Victorian house built in 1855/6 for the railway contractor Thomas Brassey. The architect was Charles Verelst of Liverpool & Birkenhead. The builders were John & William Walker, who came from Edinburgh in the 1820's and by the 1850's were the leading builders in the town. The brick is of "Lancashire" size (4 courses to 13.5 or 14 inches) and was recovered when the house was demolished in the autumn of 1982. James J Whittingham was a Birkenhead based merchant and agent in the 1850s and it is thought that he had bricks manufactured for him with his business name stamped on. As yet I have been unable to find out details of the supplier. Photo and info by David Kitching.

Whitwick Colliery

also see entry for N.C.B. Whitwick.

Whitwick Colliery was in Coalville, Leicestershire.  This brick was found near Rhyl station
so its a case of the railway being used to import bricks from far afield.

Spotted in Wigston, Leicester by Alex Betteney.

Found in Worksop by Simon Patterson.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by David Kitching.

Photo by Richard Symonds.

Found near the old water tower at Roade, Northants. Photos by Nigel Furniss.



This one is most unusual for showing G Smith, Manager on the brick.  George Smith was a great reforming character in Victorian times. These two websites give an idea of how bad conditions were in the brickmaking industry in the 19th Century and George Smith's attempts to improve matters:  http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/georgesmith.html  and  http://www.crick.org.uk/smith.html 
Thanks to Keith Woodward for the info and Martyn Fretwell for the photo.



Found at an old house in Rushden, Northants by John.

This is an example of why it is worth looking closely at bricks in case the name pressed in is very faint. Richard Thorpe photographed this example which actually says "WHITWICK COLLIERY CO LD COALVILLE".

Found at Peggs Green, Leicestershire by Sandra Dillon.


Whiwait

The Whiwait Brick Company Limited was formed in 1931 by Charles Aaron Weight and the works established on land off Neachells Lane in Willenhall. The name was chosen rather than Whiweight so that it was short enough to fit into the frog of the bricks in large lettters. The 14 kilns were fired with coal mined on site and the bricks were made using the pit shale. Production lasted for about 15 years after which the site was sold off in small parcels. Photo by Angel Rose.


Wigan Coal & Iron Company

Wigan Coal & Iron Co Ltd used the star emblem on their products and wagons. This brick was found in Haigh Plantations, Haigh, Wigan. Lord Crawford owned Haigh Hall and estate and was a senior director of the company. Photo by Alan Davies.


Wigan Junction Colliery Company

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Wigley & Shirley



Burslem is stamped on the reverse of this brick & Kelly's Staffs. 1880 edition lists Wigley & Shirley ; office, Moorland Road ; works, Moorland Road, Burslem SOT. Found that George Wigley is recorded in Kelly's at Sylvester Square, Burslem from 1876 to 1884 producing fireclay bricks. Then information from a Census record & a London Gazette Liquidation Notice dated 1880, that it was George's son, William Henry Wigley who was in the partnership with Elijah Shirley at Sylvester Square (Moorland Road) producing pottery stilts & spurs & red bricks when they went bankrupt in June of 1880. The Liquidation Notice also records Wigley & Shirley as having a second works at Port Vale Tileries, Wolstanton producing blue bricks. Info & Photographed at Apedale Heritage Centre by Martyn Fretwell.


Wigwell Brick Co.



Kelly's 1895 edition records The Wigwell Brick & Tile Co. Limited at Whatstandwell, Matlock Bath with William C. Shaw as manager. This works is shown as disused on the 1900 OS map. The Wigwell Brick Works is listed as being previously owned by Mathew Shaw in Kelly's 1887 & 1891 editions. Also see Mathew Shaw entry. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Dave Revitt.


Wilcock, Leeds

Photo by David Kitching.

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. Wilcock and Co were listed in trade directories 1867 - 1887 at various addresses in the Burmantofts district of Leeds as manufacturers of chimney tops, sanitary tubes and firebricks with works on Nippet Lane, Burmantofts. The company also produced the Burmantofts Faience tiles. http://http//www.studiopottery.com/cgi-bin/mp.cgi?item=315



Found on the seashore at Crosby, Merseyside. Photo by Max Smith.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell from the David Penney Collection.


J W Wild

John William Wild, Atherton Brickworks, Wigan Road, Atherton. Kelly's Atherton Directory 1909. Photo by Frank Hilton.


Thomas Wild

Thomas Wild, Bents Lane, Bredbury, Stockport. c.1865.


Wilderness, Mitcheldean



Made by Wemyss & Co. Mitcheldean, see that entry for a history of the works.

Photo by Sean Parry.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Wilkins & Webster, Coventry





This brickworks on Stoney Stanton Road, Foleshill, Coventry was established by B. Wilkins & Son on land leased from the Hon. Cecil S. Irby. Webster joined the company in 1888 & originally the works operated three down draught kilns with three more being added before a Hoffmann kiln was constructed. This new Hoffmann kiln produced 100,000 bricks per week. After being renamed Webster Brick & then Webster Hemming the works closed around 2012 with the last two chimney's being demolished with explosives on the 15th May 2016. Kelly's trade directory entries for the works are as follows :- Benjamin Wilkins, Foleshill, 1876. - Wilkins & Webster, Stoney Stanton Road, 1892. - Websters Limited/Brickworks, Stoney Stanton Road, 1900. - Webster Hemming & Co. Stoney Stanton Road, 1940. Also see the Webster, Coventry entry & this excellent link to photos of the closed works in 2012.   Info & Photographed at Cawarden Rec. Yard by Martyn Fretwell.

Wilkinson, Burslem and Longport

Photo by Greg Julian.

Samuel and Jim Wilkinson had brickworks in Burslem and Longport.  The brick below has a curious tale: Samuel had a son named Frank Bernard, because he wanted to draw attention to the excellence of the bricks they made and to also get his son a mention he decided the bricks trade name should be Bern-Ard.  When Jim got to hear of this he was totally against the idea.  All the moulds were destroyed and the name Bern-Ard passed into history.  The example below is a rare survivor of a family dispute. Photos by David Kitching.

Bern-ard

Found in Longton, Stoke on Trent by Ken Perkins.


Wilkinson, Dringhouses



Made in the south of York city.  A report by the University of York and the City of York council says "The brick-making industry existed in this area from at least the 14th century. Evidence from the 19th and early 20th century exists across the Hob Moor area.  Photo and info by David Soulsby.

Wilkinson, Dudley



 Info from a family website records George G. Wilkinson as a Fire brick manufacturer around 1864 & in 1901 living at St.James Road, Dudley. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info sent by Martyn Fretwell.

Samuel Wilkinson & Sons, Elland

Photo by David Kitching.

Photos by Frank Lawson.

Samuel Wilkinson & Sons., Blackley, Elland, West Yorks. The brickworks was established in 1894. The company was taken over by Butterley in 1983 but the works closed in 1985. Its founder was Samuel Wilkinson and his sons Fred and Arthur were managers. Info by Frank Lawson, photo by Simon Patterson.


Willenhall : see Thomas & Henry Mayo

Info by Martyn Fretwell, photo by Nigel Furniss.


Willenhall Brick Co

Willenhall Brick Co., Noose Lane, Willenhall. Kelly’s 1928 edition. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


A Williams

Found in the Newcastle on Tyne area. Photo by Chris Graham.


F J Williams, Swindon

Frederick J Williams succeeded his father Joseph (see below) in running the family building and brickmaking business at Swindon. Photo by Guy Morgan.


J Williams, Swindon

Joseph Williams was a builder in the Swindon area in the later 19th century. Photo via John Harrison.


Williams, Bradford, Manchester

Robert Williams & Co established a firebrick works on Ashton New Road in the Bradford area of east Manchester in c 1850. In addition to firebricks, the firm also produced chimney tops, sanitary tubes and drain pipes. The works comprised two circular kilns, ancillary buildings for preparing the clay and moulding the bricks, and a shaft via which fireclay was extracted from the coal seams beneath the site. The business had been taken over before the late 1870s by Edward Williams, who also operated the nearby Bradford Colliery Brickworks. The works closed in c 1905, when the underground fireclay workings were abandoned. The kilns had been demolished by 1920, by which date a picture house had been built on the site.

These two examples were found on the site of the firebrick works during a recent redevelopment. The one bearing the stamp of 'Williams & Co' presumably dates to the early operation of the works, whilst the latter was probably manufactured during Edward Williams' ownership of the site.  Photo and information by Ian Miller.

Photos by David Kitching.


J Williams



John Williams is listed in trade directories at Basford Works, Etruria between 1851 and 1862. In 1861 he was living in Lower Harts Hill a short distance from the brickworks on Brickkiln Lane. Whilst it is believed that this brick came from John's business there was also Thomas Williams at the nearby Basford Tileries as another possible maker.


Richard Williams, Beswick

Richard Williams is listed in Slater's Manchester Directory for 1883 at Palmerston Street, Ancoats. This street runs into Beswick where the 1891 OS map shows a brickworks with a Hoffmann kiln.


T Williams, Green Lanes



Although I have no trade directory entries for T. Williams, I believe he was a Birmingham brickmaker. I have found that the Albert Brickworks was situated between a road called Bordesley Green & Green Lane, with this works being recorded as being owned by George Savage in 1878. It may have been this works that T. Williams operated before Savage, hence the Green Lanes name on the brick. Please see entry for S & W, Albert Brickworks, Birmingham as I think the W in this partnership with Savage was this T. Williams. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Chris Thorburn Collection.

T Williams (Hartshill)

Thomas Williams, Basford Tileries, Brick Kiln Lane, Hartshill was operating by the 1860s and was still in business in 1904. Photo and information by David Kitching.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Henry Williamson & Co.

Photo by David Kitching.



Found Goole, E.Yorks. 2016, Henry Williamson & Co Ltd, Faxfleet, Howden & Newport.  Kelly's North & East Riding Directory 1897 - 1937.  The works was adjacent to the Market Weighton Canal in the parish of Faxfleet and close to Broomfleet Landing. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.



This brick is in a brick paved small path in RICCALL, North Yks.  photo by Ian Prest.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Williamson Cliff

An Italian shipwreck brick!  Vincenzo Agrillo found this one 55 metres down in the wreck on an old steamship off the coast of Italy.



This company started as Towers & Williamson at the Adamantine Clinker Works in Little Bytham near Stamford & is recorded in Kelly's 1876 edition. Towers & Williamson then opened a second works at Little Casterton Road, Stamford & this works is listed in Kelly's 1905 edition. The company then split into two & is recorded in Kelly's 1913 edition, with the Little Bytham Works becoming Towers Adamantine Clinker, Fire & Roofing Tile Co. & the Little Casterton Road Works becoming Williamson Cliff.  Williamson Cliff used Belgian kilns to produce their fireclay bricks which were used by most of the cement companies in the country to line their cement kilns, with Hanson being one of their main customers. The company started to produce hand made facing bricks in 1927 & these were in great demand after WW2 as these bricks matched the colour & texture of the College buildings being rebuilt at both Oxford & Cambridge. In the 1960's the Works produced hand made roof tiles & in 1986 this relative small Company employed 65 people manufacturing refractories & facing bricks. Buckingham Palace, Nottingham University & the Zealand Court Flats in Westbourne, Bournemouth have all used the Company's facing bricks. The Works had used Belgian Kilns which had been patented in 1895 by the Dubois d'Enghien Brothers in Hennuyeres, Belgium & these were replaced in 1993 with solid hearth type kilns & the No.3 Belgian Kiln was last to be demolished in 1998. Williamson Cliff announced the closure of it's Stamford Works in March 2002, with the buildings being demolished in 2004 & the site then being cleared for housing in 2007. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & info by Martyn Fretwell.

Willmott & Sons, Cambridge



No info. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Wills



found in a Northampton reclaimation yard: JOHN WILLS, BRICK & TILE MAKER, KINGSTHORPE ROAD, NORTHAMPTON. Found in a directory of Northampton for July 1874.  Photo and info by Nigel Furniss.

Wills & Packham



Wills and Packham produced bricks from 1890 to 1938 at Murston, Sittingbourne. Using their own barges to transport their bricks, Mr Wills had a house built on Park Road with a large turret room window, so he could watch his barges sail up and down Milton Creek.  Info by Martyn Fretwell and photographed in a Kent reclamation yard.





it is unclear why this one says P W.  Photos by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.



Found on the Thames foreshore by Bryan Allen.


Wilson, Broughton Moor



R. Wilson was operating Broughton Moor Colliery and Brickworks in the 1880s. In the 1890s the business traded as Flimby & Broughton Moor Coal & Firebrick Co. Ltd.  Photo and info by David Kitching.



Photo by Frank Lawson.



 Seen at the Snohomish County Lime Kiln path in Washington, USA. Photo by Wendy Wright.





Both found in Barrow in Furness by Richard Comish.

Found at Workington by Richard Cornish.

Found at Millom by Richard Cornish.

Photo by Alan Garner.


Wilson & Booth, Meadowhead



Wilson & Booth, Meadowhead, Sheffield. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Wilson Ilkeston





I.Wilson, Ilkeston. Listed as a brickmaker in the Post Office Directory of Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire 1855. Photo courtesy of Derby Museums.

Photos by Frank Lawson.


Wilson Ltd, Malvern

Oliver Wilson is listed in trade directories as a brick manufacturer at Belmont Brickworks, Cowleigh Bank, Great Malvern, from 1870, having previously been a builder. The business is listed as Oliver Wilson & Son between 1876 and 1888 and from 1892 to 1921 as James C Wilson. In 1881 it employed 20 men and 9 boys at the works which boasted a large clay pit accessed by rail inclines and a large round continuous kiln. In 1924 there is a change to J C Wilson (Malvern) Ltd until 1938 after which the works seems to have closed. Photo by Tim Heywood.


Wilson, Nantwich



Found during the demolition of a terraced house in Crewe by Mike Christelow.

G L Wilson, Pontrilas



A poor example of a brick made by G L Wilson, Pontrilas.  Pontrilas is a Herefordshire village close to the Welsh border on the Abergavenny to Hereford Road. Pontrilas brickworks was at one time in the same ownership as Hampton Park brick works in Hereford, with the owner recorded in 1876 as G J Wilson and in 1887 as 'George John Wilson of Hereford and Pontrilas' . It seems reasonable to assume that G L Wilson was a member of the same Wilson family. Other Pontrilas bricks have the name 'Bampfield Pontrilas' and a frog closely similar to this one. The works closed at the start of World War I and the site has for many years been a small trading estate. The brick was found near Tredegar. Photo and info by Richard Paterson.

Wilson Bros. Sandal and Normanton

Photo by Don Boldison.

Images by Frank Lawson.

Thanks to John Pease for the photo.



 Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Wilson, Wakefield

Wilson's Sandal Brickworks Ltd., Sandal, Wakefield. Photo by Tony Gray.


Wilson & Walker, Pontefract

Wilson & Walker, Monkhill, Pontefract. Kelly's Directory 1881 and 1927. Photos by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Don Boldison.


Wilton, Norfolk





This brickworks in Hockwold cum Wilton, Norfolk was owned by William Greenfield in 1863, Susan Greenfield in 1875, Charles Greenfield in 1879 & then Amos Warren in 1890. Trade Directory entries as follows - William Greenfield, Hockwold cum Wilton, Brandon, Kellys 1869 edition - Amos Warren, Hockwold cum Wilton, Whites 1890 edition then Kellys 1896 & 1904 editions. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

B Winchcomb, Swindon



The only possible person involved with this brick is William Baden Winchcomb who is described in the 1901 census as a brick merchant and contractor in Wroughton which is a village just south of Swindon. His brother Thomas was employed as manager of a brickworks in 1901 and was living close to the Wroughton Park works which is probably where this was made. Photo by Guy Morgan.

Winchcombe



Photo taken by Jo Roesen at Broadway station Worcs, read their blog here.  A history of the works can be read on pages 3 to 8 here.

Winco

Photo by A.K.A.Demik

Alfred Schofield / Sheffield Brick Co., Shiregreen Lane, Wincobank, Sheffield I understand that both Alfred Schofield (until around 1912) and the Sheffield Brick Co (after around 1912) produced bricks impressed with the name "Winco" at the Shiregreen Lane works. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by Antony Meadows.

Photo by Antony Meadows.





Two photos of an unusual Winco plinth stretcher brick by A K A Demik, from a building in Dodd St, Sheffield, constructed around 1920.

Windhill Brick Co. Wakefield



Windhill Brick Co Ltd., Eastmoor, Wakefield, West Yorks.  Photos and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Windle, Accrington



Photo by Colin Driver.


Winil: see Whinney Hill


E Winkle, Port Vale, Burslem

So far the only possible manufacturer of this firebrick that has been located is Elijah Winkle who was in business as a limeburner adjacent to the canal in Longport in 1896. 

Best Stourbridge - reverse of Winkle, Port Vale. Photos and info by David Kitching.


Winlaton, Blaydon on Tyne.


Winter & Co, Tyne Dock

Thomas S. Winter, White Leas Brick Works, near Tyne Dock was certainly in business by November 1894 when he was summoned to court for operating dangerous unguarded machinery. The business was closed at the end of the lease in May 1911 and the plant and equipment sold at auction. Info from Mark Cranston, photo by Nic Cannon.


Thomas Winter

Found on a 19th century building in Durham City this brick is almost certainly lettered for Thomas Winter who was a
builder based at Claypath in Durham City in the 1850s to 1870s. Whether he actually manufactured bricks or whether he had them made with his name on is a matter of conjecture. Photo by Sarah Fawcett.

J. Wintle

James Wintle & Son ; office, Barton Street, Gloucester ; works, Llanthony & Walham near Gloucester & Lower Lode, Tewkesbury. Kelly's Gloucestershire Directory 1897. James Wintle owned the Severnside Brick Works in Walham & he is listed in Kellys 1906 edition at this works, then in Kellys 1910 edition Wintle is only listed at his two other works. Photo and information by Frank Lawson with additional info by Martyn Fretwell.


Wisewood

The Wisewood Brick & Tile Co., Loxley Road, Malin Bridge, Sheffield. White's Sheffield Directory 1908. Photos and info by Frank Lawson.


Withernsea

A small town on the North Sea coast near Hull.  Probably manufactured by Richard Stephenson listed in the PO directory of 1857 as Farmer and Brick-maker. Although in the village of Hollym approximately 1.5 miles from Withernsea, at this time Withernsea was classed as within the Parish of Hollym until 1892.  Thanks to John Tibbles for the photo and information.


Withnell Brick & Terracota 1912 Ltd.

Now a landfill site, situated near Chorley in Lancashire. Photos by David Kitching.

The Withnell Brick and Terra Cotta Company Ltd at Abbey Village, Withnell, Chorley, Lancs, seems to have been established in 1898 by Frederick Parke. Parke died in 1909 having previously retired from the business which was was adjudged bankrupt in January 1911 and in July 1911 the whole of the works was offered at auction as a going concern. The sale particulars described the works as having nine rectagular and four circular downdraught kilns, five muffled kilns and three chimneys. The steam power and electric lighting equipment was installed new in 1898 at the beginning of the current lease. This was a large operation with its own railway sidings and steam shunting locomotive. The business was taken over by the Withnell Brick & Terra Cotta Co. 1912 Ltd. Barrett's Directory of Blackburn & Burnley 1931. The company manufactured all manner of bricks, chimney pots and terra cotta ornamentation. A copy of their catalogue of wares can be viewed at here.

Found on Crosby Beach. Photo by Jeremy Nutter.



Photos by Frank Lawson.



Photo by Alan Davies.



Found at Cobbinshaw (Oil Shale) Pits, West Calder, West Lothian, Scotland by Ian Suddaby.

Withymoor, Netherton, Nr Dudley





The Withymoor Brick & Tile Works was established in the late 19th century by The Bournehills & Withymoor Collieries & Fireclay Co Ltd and was closed with the site cleared by 1938. The brickworks was just off Northfield Road in Netherton & close to the terminus of the Withymoor Arm of the Dudley Canal. The site today has Darby End Road flats built upon it.  Photos by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.


Witton Fire Brick Co

The Witton Fire Brick Company was the owner of Witton Park Colliery, Witton-le-Wear, County Durham, from the 1880s. The colliery provided the fireclay for the brickworks. Found near Tow Law in Durham by Chris Tilney. Thanks to Richard Cornish for information.

Photo by Steven Tait.

Photo by Chris Tilney.


Next page: English bricks, page 22b, Wo to Wy, X, Y 
Return to the England index page