"Old Bricks - history at your feet"


England - page 18, letters O and Pa to Ph below:

Letters Pi to Q next page


Letter O

Oakes



James Oakes, Bank Top,Station Road, Stoneclough is listed in Worralls 1870.Axon's 1881,1885,and Kelly's 1886.In 1894 a John Oakes is listed as owner of the Croal Brickworks at Cemetery Road, Farnworth. This one is still listed as late as 1928 (Tillotson's).  Found in Bolton. Info by Colin Driver.



Oakes's Plastic, Farnworth.  Photo by David Kitching.

James Oakes, Nowton

James Henry Porteus Oakes (b1821) of Nowton Court, Bury St. Edmunds operated his estate brickworks from 1875 to the year of his death in 1901. The Oakes family where also bankers in the firm of Oakes, Bevan & Co. (later Oakes, Bevan, Tollemache Co.) which was taken over by the Capital & Counties Bank in 1900. C. & C. Bank was then acquired by Lloyds Bank in 1918. Info & Photographed at the Museum of East Anglian Life by Martyn Fretwell.


Oakland

Edward Oakland, Park Hill Brickworks, Wombwell, Barnsley.

Shafton Brickworks, Shafton Two Gates, Barnsley, S.Yorks. Oakland Brothers took ownership of brickworks in several parts of West and South Yorkshire (Wombwell, Hemsworth, Shafton, Edlington) and at Crowle in Lincolnshire.

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Link to history of the works here

Photo by David McNicholas.

Photo by Chris Shaw.


Oakwell, Ilkeston

Oakwell Brickworks closed in 1930 and was in Ilkeston, Derbyshire. Photos by Frank Lawson. See also the entry for Ilkeston Colliery.

There are some recent photos of the remains of Oakwell brickworks here.


R Oates, Halifax

Richard Oates was working under his own name, from the end of 1873 to circa 1877, when we first find the company Oates and Green mentioned. Previous to this there was a partnership, until dissolved in October 1873, of Edwin Dixon and Richard Oates trading as Dixon & Oates, builders and contractors, and brick and tile manufacturers. It does appear that Richard Oates was working independently in 1875, auctioning " Surplus working plant " at his Horley Green works ( the site later becoming the Oates and Green works). Photo and info by Chris Shaw.


Oates and Green, Halifax

The rather owl-like impression in the centre of this plain brick consists of the letters O, G and H.  This was the trademark of Oates & Green of Halifax, West Yorkshire.  The mark has been confirmed from their company notepaper.  I don't have complete information about this brickmaker but Oates & Green were situated at Horley Green Road, Halifax by 1881.  In the late 19th century they formed part of an association called the Halifax Brick Company, together with: Mortons of Siddal, Swan Bank, and Charlestown Bricks.  In 1908 they are attested as owned by Leeds Fireclay Co.  Part of their enterprises were probably bought out by George Greenwood & Son.  Photo and information by Derek Barker.

The front and back of an Oates & Green glazed brick. Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by Chris Shaw.



Photographed at North Shropshire Reclamation yard. by Martyn Fretwell



Found in Riccall, North Yorks by Ian Prest.


Ockley Brickworks (A.K.A. Ewhurst and Smokejacks)

Sue is interested in the history of this one.  Found underneath an old path in a garden in Harrow, Middlesex.  James has now filled in some info:  I saw what looked like a familiar local brick to me on your Mysteries page.  O.B could be Ockley brickworks (AKA Ewhurst and Smokejacks) in Surrey. These bricks were known as Double Diamonds and are pressed bricks. Works is currently just producing specials for other local Wienerberger works.

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Dave Johnstone believes this to be the Ewhurst Brick Co.



Vicky spotted this one in a wall in Oxford.  What appears to be an arrow is actually two diamonds.

Photo by Frank Lawson.


Old Bank



Found in Westbury, Shropshire by Mike Shaw.

Oldcotes



Oldcotes was a trade name used by the Maltby Brick Co. when this brickworks was a wholly owned subsidiary of Nottingham Brick PLC. Production of these bricks started in 1985, but had ceased by 1989. To differentiate from the company's wire cut bricks these Oldcotes branded bricks were made to resemble a brick made in Sussex & this range was named after the village of Oldcotes in Nottinghamshire. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Oldfield, Fenton

Oldfield Brick & Marl Co, Duke St, Fenton, North Staffordshire. The business appears in trade directories between 1907 and 1924. Photos by David Kitching.


Oldfield, Norton



This brick was found at Quay Street, Scarborough. The Norton in question is south of the River Derwent in the former East Riding on the opposite bank to Malton, in the former North Riding. Oldfield Sons are listed as brick and tile manufacturers in Kelly's Directory for the North & East Ridings of 1893 at Scarborough Road, Norton and Henry Oldfield in Kelly's of 1905 also Scarborough Road, Norton. Photo and info by Chris Hall.

Old Linthorpe



Photo by courtesy of the Ian Stubbs collection.

Old Park, Shropshire



The site of the Old Park brickworks was situated next to today's junction 5 of the M54 at Telford & was in operation between 1809 & 1874. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Old Tea Pot

The Old Teapot Brickworks was opened in 1880 as the St. Helens Brick and Tile Works. After a number of name changes around 1900 as the Liverpool and St.Helens Brick Co., it was purchased by Wood and Co. During the 1920s, J. J. Bate acquired the company which was rebranded as The Old Teapot Brickworks. As well as bricks the business made teapots, fireplace tiles and vases.Production was greatly reduced during the 1950s and the works finally closed about 1967. Photo by John Fletcher Snr.


Ollerton Double Pressed

Photographed by Simon Patterson in North Nottinghamshire.


Onions



I have established that Isaac & Joseph Onions operated 3 brickworks in Wolverhampton between them, with Isaac operating the Monmore Green works between 1896 & 1904. Then the Parkfield works was first run by Joseph from 1900 to 1904, with Isaac taking over from 1908 to 1912. The Craven Works, Cockshutts Lane was established by Joseph in 1908 and was then run by Isaac from 1912 to 1916. All these dates & works information came from Kelly's Directory. See also under Craven Brickworks. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Ord

This firebrick is likely to have been made at a small works associated with one of the collieries on the parish of Ord close to Tweedmouth. Photo by Chris Tilney.


Ormesby

Photo by Frank Lawson.



Ormesby Metallic Brick Co., Ormesby, Middlesbrough. In 1902, a brickworks owned by the Ormesby Metallic Brick Co. was established but this company lasted only until 1913. Between 1913 and 1916 the brickworks operated under the ownership of J. Crossley & Sons, a well-known local builders merchants and brick supplier. In 1916 the site was bought by the Cleveland Magnesite and Refractory Co. who would go on to purchase the neighbouring Normanby brickworks two years later. Info by Frank Lawson, photo by Alwyn Sparrow.


A. Ormrod, Orrell

The Orrell & Winstanley brickworks was situated just south of the goods yard at Orrell & Upholland station. Ormrods sold out to the Orrell Brick and Tile Co Ltd in c1904. The works closed in c1969, being demolished four years later. Photo and information by David Kitching.

Ormrods, Bolton

James Ormrod & Sons, Bolton. Photo by Henry Lisowski.

Photo by Jason Stott.

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

James Ormrod and Sons, Shipton Brick and Tile works, Bolton. Listed in Kelly 1901. Image PRBCO.

The Ormrod Bros. - Peter,James and William - owned individually and jointly several brickworks in the greater Bolton area in the latter half of the 19th century.  Some of these were: Shipton Brick & Tile works, Chorley Old Road, Heaton Brickworks, Markland Hill Lane, and Eskrick Steet Brickworks, Brownlow Fold. Info by Colin Driver.


William Ormrod, Bolton

William Ormrod, Shipton Brick & Terra Cotta Works, Chorley Old Road, Bolton. Bolton Trade Directory 1888. Photo by Frank Lawson.


Ormsgill

Made by the Ormsgill Brick Co, Ormsgill Lane, Barrow in Furness.  The date of production was c1875 - c1920 and possibly owned for a time by the Furness Brick Company. Info Angus Glasgow and image PRBCO.



Found in Barrow in Furness by Richard Comish

Orrell B & T Co. Wigan

Photos by Frank Lawson

Photographed on the seashore at Crosby, Merseyside.  ORRELL BRICK & TILE COMPANY LIMITED, At an Extraordinary General Meeting of the above-named Company, duly convened, and held at 13 Chorley Old Road, Bolton, Greater Manchester on 9th August 1978, the following Special Resolution was duly passed: That the Company be wound up voluntarily, and that Alan Blinkhorn of 13 Chorley Old Road, Bolton, Greater Manchester be and he is hereby appointed Liquidator for the purposes of such winding-up." W. Southern, Secretary. Info by Frank Lawson. Photo by David Kitching.


Orton



H. Orton, brickmaker, Kings Newton, Melbourne, Derbys. P.O. Directory 1855 edition.  Info by Martyn Fretwell & photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Frank Lawson.

Reverse of Orton brick. Photo by Mike Shaw.


T Osborne



T. Osborne is believed to have been a local Nottingham maker in 1860. Info by Martyn Fretwell, photo by Frank Lawson. Courtesy of Nottingham City Museums & Galleries.

Ossett



Found near Brighouse, West Yorks by Frank Lawson - Ossett is a town close to Wakefield.

Oswestry Coal & Brick Co.



Link to full history. Photographed at Cawarden Reclamation Yard by Martyn Fretwell.  Also see the entry for Sweeney.

Otterham

Made at Otterham quay in Kent and spotted by Vicky in Oxford.



Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.

Outwood, Stoneclough, Manchester



This brickworks with its colliery was located between Radcliffe and Outwood near Manchester. The colliery closed in 1931 and was followed by it's brickworks, coal yard, power station and associated railway. The land was first acquired by Lancashire County Council then Greater Manchester Council in the 1970's and was later transformed between 1994 and 1999 by Bury Council into the Outwood Forest Park. Info supplied by Martyn Fretwell.

Photos by David Kitching.


Owen, St. Albans





 O.ST.A. stands for Owen, St. Albans. Joseph Fenwick Owen started this works in 1899. His son, also named Joseph Fenwick Owen, followed his father at this works until it closed around 1941. Kelly's 1902 to 1937 editions records this works as Hill End, St. Albans & was next to Hill End Railway Station. The Owen family operated a 2nd works at Ayot's Green, Welwyn between 1912 & 1941. Then a 3rd works at Gustard Wood, Wheathampstead which is listed in Kelly's 1922 to 33 editions. The family were also builders based in Wheathampstead. Also see Ayot entry. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Frank Lawson.


Owen, Stockport

The brickworks was off Cow Lane, Hempshaw Lane, Stockport. The 1895 map shows a brick field and 1910 a brickworks. In 1928 J R Owen Ltd is listed but all was gone by 1933. Photo by Steve Biddulph.


Owners of the Middlesbrough Estate

The Owners of the Middlesbrough Estate developed Saltburn in the 19th century
as a place to live and have summers away from Middlesbrough. Photo by Saltburn Countryside Volunteers.


Owners of Wearmouth Colliery

Found at the former site of Throckley Colliery, which was on the north bank of the river Tyne, west of Newcastle. It is believed that the initials may represent Owners of Wearmouth Colliery. Photo by Chris Tilney.


Letter P.


John Elliott Page



Elliott Page is listed as brickmaker at the Renhold Brick & Tile Works, Howbury Bridge, Renhold near Bedford in Kellys 1890 & 98 editions. He was also a builders' merchant in Bedford. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Paine, Farnham



Charles Leeds Paine, Upper Bourne, Wrecclesham, Farnham - Kelly's Surrey Directory 1911 & 1913. Photo by courtesy of the Richard Symonds collection.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

John Painter, Oakham

Slater's Directories of Rutland for 1850 and 1858 list Painter, John, brickmaker, Ashwell Rd, Oakham. This brickyard had a longer history and one of the kilns survived until 1987. Some of the later history and brief details of the kiln can be found here. Photo by Grahame Appleby.


Palmer Lee & Co

Palmer Lee & Co were saw millers in Worcester. They were bankrupt in 1865 and assets auctioned off. Photo by Richard Hodges.


Palmers,Cobridge



 William Palmer & Sons, Leek New Road, Cobridge, Buslem are listed in Kelly's 1904 to 1940 editions. William had a second works at Davenport Street, Longport (see below) & this works is recorded in Kelly's 1912 & 1916 editions. Info & Photographed at Apedale Heritage Centre by Martyn Fretwell.

Palmers, Longport

The brickworks of William Palmers is listed at Davenport Street, Longport in trade directories from 1907 to 1912. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Par



Par Harbour brickworks SX076532. Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Photos by Ian Williams.


Parish



Henry Parish a Coal Master is listed as owning a brickworks on Church Lane, West Bromwich in Kelly’s 1868, 72 & 76 editions & this brickworks & his Hall End Colliery were situated on land behind the Nags Head Inn which Henry was also the owner/publican at. It appears from a newspaper article that with the sale of Samuel Chavasse's Church Lane colliery taking place at Henry Parish’s Nags Head Inn in May 1866 it resulted in Henry purchasing the colliery. We then find sons Joseph & George Parish went into partnership with Joseph running the colliery & George the brickworks & George is listed as brickmaker in Kelly’s 1876 & 1880 editions at Church Lane. The 1881 census is the last record of George being a brickmaker in West Bromwich. The brothers were also dealers in lime. Info by Martyn Fretwell & photos by William Whitehead.


Parrish & Hadley, Wednesbury



Parrish & Hadley, Hall Green, Wednesbury, Staffs. Kelly's Staffordshire Directory 1921 - 1932. Photo by Frank Lawson.

Park: See Wolsingham Park & Dinas Firebrick, Mineral & Coal Co.


Park Brick, Keighley

This brick works survived until quite recently.  In 1879-1880 a Thos Cullingworth, Parkwood St, Keighley is listed as owner.  In an 1881 West Riding trade directory and the 1884 Craven Commercial Directory the owners of the works are given as Cullingworth & Grace, Parkwood Street or Park Lane, Keighley.  Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.


Park Foundry Brick Co.



Park Foundry Brick Co. Belper, Derbys. is listed in Kelly's 1899 & 1900 editions. This brickworks is shown next to the foundry on maps dated 1898 & 1913. The buildings & claypit are still shown on the 1938 map, but not marked as such. The company had been started in 1856 by the Smedley Brothers, who were primarily iron masters making stationary steam engines, boilers & heavy castings & may have only made bricks for their own & local use, first at a brickworks next to their Eagle Works & then at their Park Foundry Works from 1898. The Company also produced cast iron streetlight columns & is best known for making the seaside piers at Brighton & Morecambe. Brick production may have finished by 1940 & after a takeover in 1949 the Park Foundry Co. was renamed Parkray, producing the 'Siesta' solid-fuel boiler for the home. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.



Found in Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell.



From the Phil. Sparham collection, photo by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Martin Jackson.


C B Parkes, Gorstyhill



Photo by Mike Shaw and by courtesy of the Nick Southwick collection.  Gorstyhill was in Worcestershire.

Parkes, Walsall

Kelly's Directory 1876 - 92. Frederick Parkes, North Walsall brickworks & sand & gravel beds, Bloxwich Road, Walsall. Parkes was also a colliery owner at Tipton. He attempted unsuccessfully to sell the brickworks and surrounding land for development in 1881:

There is a First-class BRICK PLANT, with all necessary Engines, Machinery, Ovens, large Drying Shed, Weighing Machine, Manager's House, and, if required, all necessary Tools, Horses, Carts, Boats &c., may be taken to; the whole of which are in first-class conditon and in full working operation. There is sufficient clay lying upon the surface to make from ten to fifteen millions of good building bricks, which are in great demand.

Photo by Angel Rose.


Parkfield Brick, Saltley, Birmingham



The Parkfield Brickworks situated just south of Adderley Park railway station on Bordesley Green Road was opened in the 1880's & operated as the Parkfield Brick Co in the name of Clare P. Bond who was the wife of the real owner John Bond. The company is listed in Kelly's 1890 to 1905 editions & this is followed by the listing of the Parkfield & National Brick Co. in the 1908 edition. The works closed in 1908. Also in this 1908 entry for the company there is a second works listed at Keeley Street/Watery Lane which also belonged to John Bond up to Kellys 1905 edition. John Bond also owned the Globe Brickworks until 1875 when he sold it a consortium who formed the Globe Brick Co. It appears that John and Clare Bond emigrated to the United States in 1908 after selling both works to firm of Contractors Pattinson & Wells who seem to have continued to operate the brickworks for a short while. All was cleared away by 1913. Info by Martyn Fretwell, photo by Ray Martin.

See also the entry for National Brick Works.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

This is almost certainly a product of the Parkfield works when operated by Pattinson & Wells. The stamp is identical to that used on Parkfield Brick Co products but with the words Parkfield and Co removed. Photo by Angel Rose.


Parkgate

Parkgate Brickworks, Parkgate, Rotherham. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by Antony Meadows.


Parkinson & Spencer

P & S, H X, B F. (Parkinson & Spencer, Halifax, Bradford Fire Clay). Made by Parkinson & Spencer, Ambler Thorn, Halifax. Listed from 1917 in trade directories and still operating as Parkinson & Spencer Refractories in August 2012. Photo by Thomas Hayman.

Photo by PRBCO.

Photo by Alan Davies.


Joseph Parkinson



Joseph Parkinson Greens Lane Helmshore Haslingden.1865-76. Photo and info by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

J L Parkinson, Accrington



Found in Rossendale.William (father) and Joseph (son) Parkinson had the brickworks in the Flaxmoss area of Helmshore from 1865 - 1879. William was "from a family of brickmakers who were active in various towns including Blackburn & Accrington" . Joseph went bankrupt at Helmshore in 1879,so whether he then returned to Accrington to make bricks,or he was running a works at Accrington at the same time as Helmshore I don't know. I have no information as to the location of the Accrington works. UPDATE : Further research suggests the Accrington works was on Hyndburn Road.  Photo by Frank Lawson, info by Colin Driver.

Photo by David KItching.


William Parkinson, Helmshore

William Parkinson, Greens Lane, Helmshore, Haslingden, 1865-76. Photos by David Kitching, info courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

Parks

Horris Parks established his Woodside Green works, Croydon before 1861. Parks is listed in Kelly’s 1867 & 1878 editions with the home address of Pembury Villa, Portland Road, South Norwood, but his brickworks was situated off Dickinson Place, Woodside. The 1871 census has Horris Parks as a Brickmaker employing 10 men and his son (also Horris Parks) as a Brickmaker employing 7 men, 2 boys. By 1881 Horris senior was retired and Horris junior was a brick manufacturer employing 21 men and 10 boys. Parks also owned a second works on Mitcham Road, Croydon from at least 1889. After finding one of his foremen was "milking the books”, Horris Parks took his own life on the 3rd of April 1909 by hanging himself in one of the drying sheds at the Woodside Works. The Coroners verdict of suicide whilst being of unsound mind was recorded. This Woodside works was then purchased by Edward Handley who then operated this Dickinson Place works as the Woodside Brick Co. Info by Martyn Fretwell & photo courtesy of the Edward Handley Collection.


Parks & Marshall, Gally Hill





Parks & Marshall are listed in Kelly’s 1885 edition at Crookham, Farnham. The Gally Hill Brickworks, Coxheath Road, Church Crookham, Hants is shown on the 1894 OS map. The 1909 map records this works as the Old Brick Works, today Woodland Rise occupies this former brickworks site. Also on the 1909 map a new brickworks is shown as the Crookham Brickworks, next to the Basingstoke Canal. The firm of Parks & Marshall advertised their white and red facing bricks from Gally Hill in a newspaper advert of 1883. Potential customers were referred to H Parks at an address in South Norwood. Photos by Martyn Fretwell and info by Martyn Fretwell and Mark Cranston.


Parkstone: see entry for G Jennings


Joseph Parr, Bootle

Joseph Parr is recorded as a builders' merchant in the 1894 Kelly's Directory with premises at 242 Strand Rd, Bootle on the corner of Litherland Road. He is also recorded as a builders' merchant in the census from 1881 to 1901. I suspect that he did not actually manufacture bricks but bought them in with his name on. The lettering on the reverse probably represents Davies Brothers, Abenbury Works at Wrexham as the real manufacturer.

Reverse of Joseph Parr, Bootle.


Parry, Cradley



The only information I can find for Parry is in the 1901 Census - William Parry, 29 brickmaker, Blackheath, Staffs, wife Lizzie 28 & children Millicent 6, Kathleen 3. Blackheath today is part of Rowley Regis which is next to Cradley Heath in the West Midlands. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection, with Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Parslow, Corbridge

Joseph John Parslow & Co, Corbridge. The works, close to Corbridge Station, seems to have had a number of names including Corbridge Fire Brick Works, Station Road Fire Brick Works and Dilston Fire Brick Works. Photo and info by Ian Suddaby.


D Parsons, Cradley Heath



D Parsons, Stour Brick Works.  Seen at the Black Country Museum.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Partington, Standish

The Standish Brick & Tile Works was a comparatively short-lived works, which appears to have been established by James Partington shortly before 1870. The works occupied a site off Preston Road, a short distance to the north-west of Standish (Lancashire). The works had fallen into disuse by the early twentieth century, and the buildings are absent from the Ordnance Survey map of 1909. Info by Ian Miller.

W H Parton, Kings Heath



W.H. Parton & Son is recorded at High Street & works at Kings Heath, Birmingham in Kelly's 1899 & 1900 editions & then there is a gap in directory entries until Kelly's 1913 & 15 editions at the same address. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Ray Martin.

Photo by Phil Packwood.


W. E. Partridge, Kingswinford

Found on the seashore in Crosby, Merseyside



 William Edward Partridge is listed in Kelly's from 1872 to 1904 editions at Kingswinford, Dudley & after his death in May 1904 the company continued & is listed as W.E. Partridge & Co. in the 1908 edition.  Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Partridge & Guest, Old Hill





This company started life as Partridge, Guest & Raybold (blue & red) Old Hill, Rowley Regis (see below) and is recorded in Kellys 1860 to 1872 editions. After Raybold had left the company, it was renamed as Partridge & Guest (blue & red) in Kelly's 1880 edition at Powke Lane, Old Hill, Rowley Regis until the 1900 edition. The 1904 & 1908 editions records the same name & address but just blue bricks. Then in the 1912, 16 & 21 editions, same name & address, but now blue bricks, stable bricks & garden tiles. 1936 is the last entry for Partridge & Guest. Info by Martyn Fretwell & photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Chris Thornburn Collection.

Partridge Guest & Raybould, Old Hill



Partridge, Guest & Raybould are recorded in Jones's Mercantile Trade Directory for 1865 at Old Hill, Cradley Heath. Found at Cawarden Reclamation, Rugeley. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Passmonds

Passmonds Brickworks Ltd., Passmonds, Rochdale. Photo by David Kitching.


Patent

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Made on a 'Patent' brick making machine.

This is likely to be from one of the Potteries brick manufacturers. It was found during the demolition of the Royal Stoke Infirmary, Stoke on Trent. Photo by Greg Julian.

 

Another North Staffordshire brick marked Patent. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


Patent

Found in Northumberland and thought to have been made at the Heddon brickworks. Photos by Chris Tilney.


Patent Brickwood

Made by Jabez Thompson, Northwich

Photographed by Gwyn in the ruins of Penrhyn Quarry hospital, Bethesda, Gwynedd.


C Payne



Found in Rugeley, Staffs.  Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.  Martyn Fretwell writes :- Charles Payne, brickmaker, Mill Pool Hill Brickworks, Mill Pool Hill, Hollywood, Kings Norton, Birmingham is recorded in Kelly's Birmingham 1905 edition

G Payton, Garrison Lane, Birmingham

Jelliffe & Mansfield combined their 2 works on Garrison Lane & traded as Atlas Patent Brick Co. In 1861 Jelliffe left the partnership. In 1862 he had passed away. By 1867 Mansfield had sold Jelliffe's works to George Payton. Photographed at Cawarden by Nigel Furniss.



George Payton. Found at North Shropshire Recycling yard by Martyn Fretwell.  Martyn writes :- George Payton is recorded in Kelly's 1867 & 1868 editions with his works on Garrison Lane & residing at 442 Coventry Road. Ten years later, the next entry I have in 1878, records the company as George Payton (exors of) Garrison Lane. So one can assume George has passed away & the company is still in production. This entry is repeated in the 1879 & 1883 editions.

Rodney Clark adds: James Payton was owner of Payton bricks, Garrison Lane, Birmingham. James was born in 1791 and died in 1854. His daughter Mary married George Clark and they changed their name to Payton-Clark and George continued to run the brickyard.


P Payton, Saltley, Birmingham



Photo by Ray Martin.  Martyn Fretwell writes :- Peter Payton & Co. is listed in Kelly's 1867 & 68 editions at the College Works, Saltley, Birmingham. The College Works are next recorded in Kelly's 1878 edition as being owned by Fredrick Payton.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Chris Thornburn Collection.

J Peach & Son, Shepshed



Photo by Nigel Furniss.

Robert Peach

Robert Peach, residence, South Street, Wellington, Somerset. Listed in trade directories from 1866 to 1883. 1851 saw him at West Buckland as a drainage pipe contractor. In 1861 he is in the census living at West Buckland as a brick and tile manufacturer employing 49 men, 15 boys, 4 women, 8 girls. In 1871 he described himself as a brick & tile merchant, whilst in 1881 he is listed as a brickmaker employing 2 men and 1 boy. Photo by Eric Taylor.


Peake

A very long established brickyard which first appears in the trade directory for 1828-29 under Thomas Peake & Co, Tunstall. John Nash Peake 1837-1905 succeeded his father Thomas in running Tunstall Tileries in 1861 & the company name continued under his fathers name. In 1889 it is the executors of the late Thomas Peake and in 1940 it was T. Peake, the Tileries, Tunstall. Photos and information by David Kitching.

Found in the River Tame. Photo by Julie Swindells.


Peakirk



Made by Charles Neaverson who is listed in Kelly's 1898 to 1910 editions, 1st at Peakirk then Werrington, both near Peterborough. Also see Neaverson entry. Photo by LBC Steve & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Pear Tree

The Pear Tree Glazed Brick and Marl Co, High St, Hanley appear in the 1907 directory. The name derives from the Peartree Pit of the Shelton Collieries which had previously occupied the site. Photos and information by David Kitching.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

M Pearse & Co

M Pearse & Co were Stockton-on-Tess based shipbuilders and shipping agents in the third quarter of the 19th century. The likelihood is that they exported bricks made for them by another business and stamped with their name. This brick was exported to Chile and used in the copper mines of La Higuera and the Port of Totoralillo (1840-1920), current commune of La Higuera, Chile. Photo by José Ignacio Aguilera Martinez.


Pearsil - see E J & J Pearson entry below


E. J. & J. Pearson

Previously Harris & Pearson

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, made in Stourbridge.  One of their metal brick stamps can be seen here.



Photo by Ray Martin.

Photo by Richard Cornish.



Found at New Crofton, West Yorks by Frank Lawson.



Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.

Photo by David Kitching.

Photo by Alan Hackett.



PEARSON (E. J. & J .) LTD., Stourbridge. T.A., 'Firebrick, Stourbridge'. T.N., Brierley Hill 7201/3 (3 lines). London Agency: Room 129, 133 Moorgate, E.C.2. T.N., Monarch 4780. Established 1860.
Sillimanite refractories: tank blocks, feeder parts, regenerator fillings, glasshouse pots, boots, skittles and syphons, pot clays; fire clay refractories; insulating bricks; air setting refractory cements; high alumina refractories; semi-silica refractories; ground fireclays.
Trade Names: Alite; F.R.D.; Groggo; Kaolith; Lermer; P.3.; Pearsil; Peer Cement; Pulver.

Photo by Rosie.


Pease

Joseph Pease & Partners, Bowden Close, Helmington Row, Crook, Co.Durham. Joseph Pease and Co colliery owners merged with S W Pease and Co Ironstone and mineral quarry owners in 1882 to create Pease and Partners. They registered as a public company in 1898. Pease and Partners were major industrialists in the South Durham area and operated several collieries and associated coke ovens and brickworks in the Crook area. The brickworks included Bank Foot Fireclay works Crook. Opened in the 1850s. In a report of 1928 fireclay was bring brought by aerial flight ropeway from the Roddymoor pit machines made 7,000 bricks per day. White facing bricks had been made up until 1924. Bricks were dried in steam heated drying flats. Hand moulders made firebricks and specials and white glazed ware mainly sinks. The works closed in 1936. Photos by Frank Lawson

Photos by Chris Tilney.

Photo by Ian Hunter.

This one is stamped PEASE with the reverse dated 1867. Photo by Steven Tait.


Pease, Thorne

Pease and Partners, a large Co. Durham company also owned Thorne Colliery to the east of Doncaster. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


R L Pedley

Rice Lewis Pedley made bricks at Meir Lane, Caverswall, just outside Stoke-on-Trent, between 1876 and 1884. Photo by David Kitching.


Pegswood

Photo by Tony Gray.

Pegswood Brickworks, Pegswood, Morpeth, Northumberland. Probably associated with Pegswood Colliery which opened in 1868 and closed in 1969. The colliery produced steam coal, household coal and fireclay. There was an earlier long established brickworks at Bothal Park which seems to have produced clay bricks and was closed by the early 1920s. Photo & info by Frank Lawson.



Photo by Chris Tilney.

Photo by Mark Cranston.


Peile



This brick appears to have its origins in the Northumberland / Durham area.  Priestman and Peile were the owners of Victoria Garesfield Colliery in the 1880's so maybe this brick had some connection but I can find no positive evidence. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Pelton

Photo by Steven Tait.



Possibly made at Pelton Fell Colliery, Co. Durham, which had a brickworks from 1938 to 1975. Photo and info by Dave Ashford.

Penn



Photo by Bev Parker, link to the Wolverhamptonworks history.

Penshaw

Photos by Chris Tilney.

Thanks to Andrew Gardner for the photo. 

Percy's Patent

This appears on the back of Rowland, Dukinfield.  Patent granted to William Carter Stafford Percy, machinist, of Manchester. Two records: 1) on 29 April 1847 for "improvements in machinery for making and dressing bricks and tiles, and in certain sheds and kilns, in which bricks and tiles are dried and burnt", and 2) on 31 July 1858 for "Improvements in arrangements and mechanism or apparatus for the manufacture of bricks, tiles, pipes, and other articles made of plastic earths." There are further patent details from 11th December 1861: 3104. Machinery for making bricks, tiles, pipes and other articles formed of plastic materials. In July 1853 Percy was successfully sued by Henry Clayton for infringing his patent & this stopped Percy from making his modified machines. Clayton also sought compensation from the profits Percy made on the sale of his machines and this may have been the cause of Percy's banruptcy in early 1854 when he spent some time in Lancaster Gaol. Photo and information by David Kitching.


Percy Road - see Burbury Brickworks


Perrens & Harrison, Stourbridge



George King Harrison (1826 - 1906) went into partnership with his cousin William King Perrens in 1850 by purchasing the fire brick firm of J & W King of Lye. Later they expanded by purchasing the small firebrick firm of John Wheeley.  G. K. Harrison lived in Orchard House, built by himself, and had 5 servants. The house was next to Lye railway station and had it's own private flight of stairs to the house from the station. The company is mentioned in the Gas Journal of 1850.  In 1855 they were at the Paris Exhibition.  In 1862 at the London Exhibition.
In 1875 at the Sydney Exhibition where they won several medals for fireclay products.
In 1878 International Exhibition at Paris they won a medal for fireclay products.
In 1879 they won several medals for fireclay products which were exported as far as Japan, and which were used in the Iron, China & Glass Industries. In 1875 Perrens retired from the company leaving Harrison to continue under the name : GEORGE KING HARRISON LIMITED, BRICK & TILE MAKERS.

In July 1904, Graces Guide mentions G. K. Harrison Ltd. as having the Nagersfield Estate plus the Butts Estate plus Buckpool. Land and mines at Brockmoor called the Bank Colliery Eatate, worth '19,384 18s 3d  and,

Hawbush Farm, lands & mines at the rear of Hawbush villas, Brettall Lane House firebrick manufacturers in Brettall Lane, worth '15,827 19s 8d
Total of these in todays money is approx.  '3.63 MILLION.  Harrison also built an electric railway from his Nagersfield pits to the Brettall lane works to transport the clay. The advert for G. K. Harrison claims to have been in business from 1790 to 1960 !  Photo and info by Nigel Furniss.  Adverts for the works can be seen on the photo gallery page.



G K Harrisons's house adjacent to Lye station, photo by Charles H Ball.

John Pescod

This is in the outside of a yard wall on Wanless Terrace, Durham city. Another can be seen in a house wall on Sidegate. John Joseph Pescod was born in Swallwell in 1825, and in 1851 was making bricks at Brick Flatts, Lanchester, in 1861, and 1871 in Consett, and in 1881 in Durham (living at 85 North Road, now demolished). It's most likely that this brick was made at Aykley Heads colliery, Durham, the current site of County Hall. The pit worked from the 1880s until 1949. Info and photo by Paul Dobson.


Lancelot Pescod

Photos by Chris Tilney.

Lancelot Pescod was born in Whickham, Gateshead, in 1817 and in 1841 was making bricks in Blaydon. In 1851 he was living in Wolsingham (Weardale) employing 15 men and 5 boys. In 1851 he resigned from the partnership at Marshall Green Colliery, and died in 1855 in Witton le Wear. Marshall Green opened in 1830 and closed in 1936, and is now the site of an abattoir. His brother John (1811 - 1876) also made bricks, and from at least 1856 was at Wackerfield, near Cockfield. Old maps show the Hilton Tarn Brick and Tile works at Wackerfield. There was also a John Pescod making bricks at Aykley Heads in Durham City, a couple of which can be seen in houses is the city.  Photo and info by Paul Dobson.


Pether's Patent: see Armitage Sheffield or Burham Brick & Cement Works


Phillips, Lee Moor, Devon





Photos by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Phillips, Taynton





Made in Taynton, Gloucestershire.

Phillips & Roberts, Retford



The only trade directory reference I have found is for William Phillips and he is first listed in Whites 1853 edition at Spittal Hill, Retford, then in Whites 1864 edition at West Retford. So he could be one half of this partnership. Also found that Spittal Hill and the West Retford works were two different yards. Info & Photographed at Bassetlaw Museum, Retford by Martyn Fretwell.

Phillipson, Bolton

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

George Phillipson & Sons Ltd., Ousel Nest Brickworks, Chapeltown Rd., Bromley Cross, Bolton, Lancs.


I Philpott



Photo by Rog, made in Market Lavington, Wiltshire.

Phoenix - Callington



Phoenix Vitrified Paving & Firebrick Works nr Callington SX395715. Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Phoenix - Chesterfield

Phoenix Brick Co. Barrow Hill, Chesterfield originally called Campbell Brick. This brick is new.   Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo.



Photo by Malcolm Adlington

Phoenix Crawcrook

Photos by Chris Tilney.

Photo by Mark Cranston.

Photo by Tony Gray.

Photo by Neville Akers.


Phoenix Wolverhampton





Around 1867, William Shepherd is recorded as Coal Merchant at Union Wharf, Bilston Road, Wolverhampton. He then started manufacturing bricks around 1892 on Granville Street, Wolverhampton with him then moving to the Elm Farm Brickworks on Dudley Road in 1896. Two years later he opened a second works called the Phoenix Brickworks, also on Dudley Road. William was well regarded & respected by the local business community & he went on to build 500 houses around Wolverhampton, providing them for the working classes. William also established a cycle manufacturing business in the town. William is recorded in Kelly's 1892 edition as brick manufacturer on Granville Street & living on Bilston Road. Then from 1896 to the 1908 editions he is listed at Elm Tree Farm Brick Works, Wolverhampton. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection, with Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Phorpres: see entry for London Brick Company


Next page: English bricks, page 18a, Letters Pi to Q
Return to the England index page