Location Allerston
County North Yorkshire
Grid Reference SE 88368 83168
Date of visit 17 July 2015

This complex of four draw kilns is depicted on the Ordnance Survey map of 1854 and is thought to have been built during the previous decade for Sir George Osbaldeston. It was built to operate on a commercial basis rather than to provide lime for immediate local use and continued in use into the early 20th century. The house known as Red House, 100m to the south of the kilns was originally a group of four separate cottages built to house workers for the kilns. It is listed Grade II.
Back to Yorkshire limekilns index
© David Kitching 2016
Page last updated 8.5.2016