Location Sully
County Vale of Glamorgan
Grid Reference ST 15255 68560
Date of visit 29 November 2008


Probably built c1813 by Evan Thomas, part of the extensive agricultural improvements he brought to the Sully Estate, instituting crop rotation cycles and fertilizing, including the use of lime. In 1848 described as disused. Coal to fire the kiln may have been brought into the local harbour by boat; brick linings probably came from the Ty Verlons or Coldbrook brickworks in the nearby parish of Cadoxton. Limestone was reputedly brought from nearby quarries, including Wenvoe. There are three draw arches all with buttresses. The kiln is listed Grade II but has become very overgrown since 2008 when it was cleared of vegetation.

Back to Vale of Glamorgan limekilns index
© David Kitching 2018
Page last updated 13.3.2018