|Grid Reference||SO 05517 27916|
|Date of visit||9 July 2004|
The Brecon and Abergavenny Canal reached Brecon in 1800 and the canal company built a row of limekilns adjacent to the canal to the east of Watton Wharf. By 1817 when the kilns were linked to the Hay Railway by a branch line, several were leased to the Brecknock Boat Company, and at least one to William Powell and Co*. It is likely that these kilns were out of use by the early 1860's.
*Rattenbury, Gordon, Tramroads of the Brecknock & Abergavenny Canal, RCHS, 1980.
Back to Powys limekilns index
© David Kitching 2007
Page last updated 23.1.2007