|Date of visit
||5 September 2003
|Limestone from Cwm Quarry was worked down a self-acting incline
to a pair of kilns and railway interchange siding. The kilns were probably
erected around 1877 when the railway line was doubled, a second tunnel built,
and the viaduct widened.
|The two kilns were served by a pair of draw arches for each.
They ceased work in the 1930's but were reopened in the Second World Way
and burned until 1955.
|The remains of stone bins can be seen at the side of the kilns.
From above the kiln pots can be discerned. There is a flight of steps running
between the two kilns.
||A further pair of kilns is to be found a little
to the south of those featured above. They are well hidden by vegetation
and difficult to see. John van Laun suggests that, in 1862, these kilns
supplied lime for building the nearby viaduct and tunnel of the Merthyr,
Tredegar and Abergavenny Railway.
Back to Monmouth limekilns
© David Kitching 2004
Page last updated 21.3.2004