Location Pen-y-gelli
County Flintshire
Grid Reference SJ134760
Date of visit 25 March 2004

Easily accessible in a country park. Although the stonework of this kiln has been removed there still remains some of the pot lining. The information panel states that between 1790 and 1840 this was one of the main limekilns serving the five villages in the area. About 35 tubs of lime were produced daily from the continuously operating kiln. Around 400 tons of coal were used annually. It is suggested that lime from this kiln was used for mortar in the construction of Mostyn Docks.

Back to Flintshire limekilns index

© David Kitching 2004

Page last updated 21.8.2004