|Date of visit
|4 April 2004 & 5 March 2016
The first limekilns at Froghall were completed in June 1786 at a cost of £312 12s 4d. By 1808 there were four kilns and later expansion saw this increased to six. These ceased production in March 1920 when the tramroad from the quarries was closed.
In 1887 the kilns were being operated by William Bowers and in 1918 Bowers and Thorley.
Today the kilns remain in good order in the care of Staffordshire County Council which has created a car park and picnic area on the old stone wharves.
|© David Kitching 2016
Page last updated 5.3.2016