|Location||Consall Forge Kilns|
|Grid Reference||SJ 998492|
|Date of visit||4 April 2004 & 2 January 2005|
At Consall Forge against the canalised River Churnet stands a bank of four large limekilns. These date from the early nineteenth century and were linked to the North Stafford Railway, a plateway built between 1815 and 1819, running from the Caldon Canal to north of Caverswall. Coal was brought in on the plateway from a number of local collieries and lime carried to Weston Coyney and beyond. By 1840 the line was out of use although it is unclear when the kilns ceased operation.
After years of neglect the kilns have been repaired and made safe. Three of the draw holes have been bricked up and the right hand one remains open but gated.
Back to Staffordshire limekilns index
© David Kitching 2005
Page last updated 11.1.2005