|Date of visit
|24 July 2018
Limeburning at Ticknall can be traced back at least as far as a lease of a kiln in 1462. There were extensive quarries and limeyards across the area in the 18th and early 19th centuries operated by a number of competing lessees. By the mid 19th century Sir Henry Harpur's yard was the only one still burning lime in 13 draw kilns with other quarries sending lime for burning when required. After 1913 only intermittent burning for estate purposed took place and the last firing took place in 1940.
Today the site is in the custody of the National Trust which has restored one kiln whilst the rest are part demolished and overgrown.
|© David Kitching 2018
Page last updated 27.7.2018