Location Wayside, Holcombe Rogus
County Devon
Grid Reference ST 07035 18948
Date of images 24 April 2015

It is thought that the Waytown kilns were constructed between 1810 and 1814. The culm would have been brought in initially by packhorse and later, after the canal extension to Taunton was built, by boat. The structure was built with three kilns (the three large arches being the kilns and the two smaller arches providing shelter whilst drawing the lime) but the large buttress at the south end must have been added to prevent structural movement and an 1886 map indicates that only two kilns were in use then. The canal company built and retained ownership of the kilns and wharfs and existing records for those at Tiverton indicate that they were leased to several owners including a John Talbot of Holcombe Rogus. Talbot entered into a 21 year lease for a wharf at Tiverton from Lady day 1815 and he probably also operated the kilns at Waytown. On 15th February 1845 an advert appeared in The Western Times for "Lime Works of Holcombe Rogus... To be let by tender...." which included the Waytown kilns, several other kilns nearby and powers to build new ones in the area. By the mid 19th Century, agricultural lime production had stabilised after a decline following the Napoleonic wars and again become profitable. It is not known when the kilns at Waytown were last fired but it was probably at the end of the 19th Century. The limekilns are listed Grade II.
Back to Devon limekilns index
© David Kitching 2016
Page last updated 10.5.2016