Location Clowsgill Quarry
County Cumbria
Grid Reference NY 59033 59167
Date of visit 24 May 2015

The limeworks at Clowsgill was certainly operating in the 18th century as part of the Earl of Carlisle's estate. It was connected to a Earl's waggonway from his collieries to Brampton. There was a waterwheel here erected in 1844 to raise stone from the quarry floor. The works was closed before 1900. Of the two banks of kilns that operated at Clowsgill only this one survives albeit with the facing stone removed.
Back to Cumbria limekilns index
© David Kitching 2016

Page last updated 19.9.2016