Location Porthleven
County Cornwall
Grid Reference SW 62788 25694
Date of visit 9 April 2013

The surviving Porthleven kiln was erected c1814 alongside Breageside Wharf and in 1816 184 tons of Plymouth limestone were delivered to the harbour. Harvey & Co of Hayle took over the harbour in 1853 and also developed the trade from the kiln. In 1870 895 tons of stone was burned and this continued into the 20th century. It finally ceased to be used in 1920. The kiln is unusual in Cornwall as it is round in shape and has flat lintels over the draw tunnels rather than arches. Local historians led a restoration of the kiln which is now in good order.

Back to Cornish limekilns index

© David Kitching 2015

Page last updated 15.11.2015