The Talyclyn Colliery and Fire Brick Co of Pontardulais, Carmarthenshire, was wound up voluntarily in about 1900. By the early 1900s the colliery and brickworks was owned by Thomas Williams & Sons. Photo by David Kitching at the Foel Fawr limekilns.
Photo by Brotherglyn
From the works of J Brooks Taylor & Co, Melincrythan, Neath, which went into liquidation in May 1949 as J Brooks Taylor and Co Ltd. Photos and info Richard Paterson
Made by Templeton and Stokes in Pembrokeshire - thanks to Mike Bennett for the photo.
Andrew Havard found these by the entrance to an old drift mine in Caerphilly.
Found near Varteg between Blaenavon and Pontypool. This is probably a product of the Richard Thomas & Baldwins brickworks at Sirhowy. This was opened by the Ebbw Vale Steel, Iron & Coal Co in 1911 and became the largest of Richard Thomas & Baldwins brickworks by 1955 but by 1962 it had closed. Info by Phil Jenkins, photo by Dai Prosser.
From the Penybont brickworks Abertillery, Thanks to Norman Lowe for the photo and information.
Photo by Jason Stott.
Sometime in the late 1850s, young Arthur Tilney, born in 1842, left the rural hamlet of Kirby Bedon, in Norfolk, where his father, Robert, was a shoemaker. Arthur joined the 'coal rush' and travelled 250 miles to the Monmouthshire town of Abertillery. The area was at the beginning of a boom, with the opening of collieries and the building of houses for a huge influx of workers. In 1861, Arthur Tilney was working as a railway porter at Abertillery Station and, by 1871, he had married and been promoted to station master. But he must have seen a better opportunity for advancement because, by the 1881 census, he was described as an Ironmonger and Timber Merchant. His business flourished and, by 1891, he was the 'Owner of Sawmills and Brick (?works)'. The 1895 Kelly's Directory shows that his business had expanded: he was a builders' ironmonger and merchant, undertaker, wheelwright and general smith and timber merchant, with saw mills, joinery works and brickworks at Cwmtillery. In the 1891 census he was a timber merchant and, by 1901 he had apparently retired. Arthur Tilney died in 1917 and is buried in Newport. There is no obvious evidence of where his brickworks was, but it may have been a small-scale operation near his timber yard site at Cwmtillery. Thanks to Richard Paterson for the photo and information.
The Tirbach Brickworks Co. at Gurnos, Ystalyfera is shown on the 1903 OS map next
to the Swansea Canal. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Another South Wales example from Tondu near Bridgend
Photo by Richard Paterson.
The Tredegar Iron Company was created in 1800 and was at the cutting edge of the industrial revolution in the Monmouthshire valleys. In 1891 production of iron ceased as the company concentrated on what was at one time a total of 13 collieries in the Tredegar area. Already, in 1875, the company had renamed itself the Tredegar Iron and Coal Company (TIC). The brickworks was not established until 1933, and bricks were designated TIC and later Tredegar. It was nationalised along with the company's collieries in 1946, when the bricks became 'NCB Tredegar'. Production seems to have continued until the 1960s, when the works ceased to be competitive. There is a photo of the works here. Brick photos and information by Richard Paterson.
Trimsaran is near Kidwelly in Carmarthenshire
Found at the site of Carmarthen Bay Power Station, Burry Port by Hugh Owen.
Photo by Phil Burgoyne.
Henry Tunnadine, Carlton House, Malpas, Newport. Photo and info by Graham Bennett.
Tunnadine, Malpas, photo by Richard Paterson
Photo by Jase Fox.
Photo by Tony Gostling. The Tunnel Brickworks, Cockett, Swansea, Glamorganshire. Made from around 1884-1914
Both found at the site of Carmarthen Bay Power Station, Burry Port by Hugh Owen
The Tunnel works was owned by J Osman Co Ltd wich was dissolved in 1919. It is possible that production continued for some years after this under different owners but by 1938 the works had closed with the site cleared. Photos by Robert Jones.
Found at Insole Court, Cardiff by Mike Statham.
Upper Bank brickworks, Bon-y-maen, Swansea, West Glamorgan. Photo by Richard Paterson.
The Highland Park Brick Works in Ely, Cardiff was originally the Westend Brick Works Co but, from about 1914, was operated by William Thorne & Sons before the formation of Welsh Brick Industries in 1946 (WBI 1946 LTD). Information and photo by Richard Paterson.
Photo by Brotherglyn. Richard Paterson adds: W B & C Co. is Wernddu Brick & Coal Co. Bricks were made from the clay found above shallow coal measures on the north side of Caerphilly Mountain. The brickworks chimney stack remains, and is a listed structure.
Two brickworks formerly operated in the Ely area of Cardiff by William Thorne & Sons reopened after WWII as Welsh Brick Industries (1946) Ltd. The Cowbridge Road works was renamed Highland Park Brickworks and the other was known as West End works. The former closed by 1955 whilst the West End works continued until 1975. Info by Phil Jenkins, photo by Jase Fox.
Photo by Nick Kaye.
Photo by Mike Richards.
Photo by Rachel Oliver.
The history of this company is a little obscure. Westworth, Murray & Co owned both Welshpool (town centre) and Pool Quay (4 miles away) brickworks until 1882, when they went bankrupt. The town centre brickworks had disappeared by 1901 but the Pool Quay works had grown and appears to have carried on until c1940, presumably as the 'Welshpool Brick Co'. It was 'disused' in 1948. I suspect the 'Welchpool' brick is from one of the 'Westworth, Murray & Co' works with the other two from Pool Quay. Info by Phil Jenkins.
From the Wernddu brickworks Caerphilly, thanks to Norman Lowe for the photo and information.
Another one seen at the Big Pit museum in Blaenavon. Whitehead Hill and Co took over from JC Hill and Co in 1925. The works, known as the Llandowlais Brick Works was located on Ty Coch Way, Two Locks, Cwmbran, east of the Dowlais Brook and south of the Monmouthshire - Brecon Canal. The works incorporated two eighteen chamber kilns, each chamber having a capacity of 19,000 bricks. In each kiln, approximately eight chambers per kiln were fired each week, giving an output of some 304,000 bricks per week. The last listing for the company is in the D.O.Q for 1973. Thanks to Lawrence Skuse for the info.
Found at Pentyrch Brickworks, near Taffs Well. Stephen Rowson has pointed out that Thomas Williams owned the Bryncoch Brickworks on the other side of the valley and an Ironworks a mile or two away so it seems very likely that 'T W Co' is from Bryncoch. Photo and info by Phil Jenkins.
Photo by Richard Paterson.
The village of Ynysddu, in the Sirhowy valley, is about nine miles north of Newport. The brickworks, associated with the Wentloog Colliery, functioned between 1901 and 1938, photo and info by Richard Paterson.
Found in a garden wall in a street in Treharris, near Merthyr Tydfil. Photo by Richard Paterson.