"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

English bricks - page 4b

Br to By

Bradbury, Basford



Thomas Bradbury first appears as a brickmaker in Basford, Stoke-on-Trent in 1867 and is listed as Bradbury & Co in 1869, The last listing of the business is in 1876.  Photo and info by David Kitching.

Bradford Brick & Tile

Bradford Brick & Tile Co Limited: Great Horton, Wapping Road, Leeds Road, and Whetley Lane, Manningham.



Found by Simon Patterson in West Yorks.  Made by the Bradford Brick & Tile Company Limited.  The company was founded by a group of Halifax businessmen in the 1870s. Its brick works were initially at Wapping Road, Whetley Lane, and Great Horton (Beldon Road). BB&T Co later opened operations in Seymour Street, Leeds Road, which became its HQ. The other works were presumably closed at around that time. Waste bricks from this company are extremely common in the Bradford area. Thanks to Derek Barker for the info.


Bradford Colliery, Manchester

Bradford Colliery Co., Forge Lane, Bradford, Manchester. Slater's Manchester & Salford Directory 1883 & 1909. Photo by David Kitching.



Photo by Nigel Megson, found near the Barton Bridge in Barton on Irwell.

Bradford Corporation

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

This company was based at the Victoria Works, Rook Lane, off Tong Street, Bradford. The Rook Lane works seemed to have developed as a result of the brick making efforts of William Taylor and his widow Martha (1874-75) which breached a deed of covenant he had with the Bowling Iron Company. He had set up brick-making in opposition to the Bowling Iron works own kilns on land he had leased from the company. BIC eventually took over the brick making activities themselves to produce the [BOWLING IRON WORKS] bricks (1901-1922). Brick production survived longer than the actual iron making. The Rook Lane works had evolved into the Bradford Corporation brick-works on the same site by 1927.  Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

V Bradley, Leicester



Vincent Bradley had offices at 84 Highcross Street, Leicester according to Whites Directory of 1863. It is not known where his works were situated.  Photo and info by Dennis Gamble.

Hilary Bradley



Photo by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.

Probably: - Hilary Bradley & Son, Deane Moor & Hope Street, Daubhill, Bolton, Lancs. Worrall's Directory 1871.Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


William Bradley, Millom

In the 19th century William Bradley of Salthouse Road, Millom manufactured bricks and tiles as well as being a builder, joiner, contractor, painter and decorator. Photo by Richard Comish.

Photo by Chris Graham.


Bradstone



This is a wall brick made of concrete. The company is well known for making paving slabs etc.  Bradstone originated from the family company of E H Bradley and Sons, which was established in 1902 & still operates today from one of it's original sites in the Cotswolds.  Photo and info by Martyn Fretwell.



Found near Manton in Rutland by Alan Murray-Rust

A N Braithwaite & Co.



A. N. Braithwaite & Co ( branch of B Whitaker & Sons ) Central Brickworks Shafton Lane Holbeck Leeds.  Listed in Kelly Leeds, 1923, 1929 but missing in 1916, 1938. Info by Philip Rothery, photo by Frank Lawson.

Bramall

Joseph Bramall, senior, was born into a farming community in Oughtibridge near Sheffield in 1807. By the time he was 30 he had built up an industrial supplies business selling metal goods such as files, tools and metal implements etc. His company Joseph Bramall & Sons was also selling ganister for field walls and road repairs and in ground-form (initially from road surface scrapings) as a refractory lining material for use in cupolas in the growing Sheffield steel industry.

Between 1830 and 1880 the Bramall family rented, leased and bought land suitable for mining and quarrying ganister and became major dealers in ground ganister with goods sold as far afield as Russia (one order in 1872 from a customer in St. Petersburg being for 200 tons), France and the USA. By 1893 there were no less than four Bramall family members listed in local directories as separate ganister dealers with Charles (born 1850) eventually becoming the foremost among Joseph’s five sons.

Around 1865, the Bramall company opened a brickworks with one beehive kiln, Birtin Works, in nearby Worrall and this made Silica bricks alongside its ground ganister production. A larger works, Caledonian Works, opened nearby in 1871 to manufacture both ganister-based and fireclay-based bricks. Brick manufacture ceased at Birtin Works in 1889 as ganister brick production transferred to the Caledonian Works. A smaller brickworks, Bradshaw Works, was established near some gannister mines and quarries at Bullhousenear Langsett to the north of Stocksbridge. At some point the Bramall company made common bricks at one of their works

Birtin Works closed and was recorded as disused by 1923; the Caledonian Works grew from 3 beehive kilns in 1880 to 16 (2 rows of 8) by 1910 reducing to 8 kilns by 1920 and closed sometime in the early 1930s while Bradshaw Works was recorded as still operating with one kiln in 1931 but is thought to have closed soon after. It’s known that Bramall family members,Charles and Mary, invested in the Larkhall Fireclay Company Ltd., Caledonian Works, Larkhall, South Lanarkshire, Scotland around the 1920s to 1930s until those works themselves closed in 1937 and were sold to others.

Info by John Bramall and photo of a brick found in Fife by Mark Cranston. It is a matter of debate whether this brick was made at Sheffield or possibly the Scottish works at Larkhall.

Photo by Frank Lawson.


Bramley




Bramley Brick Co., operated at the Swinnow Lane Brickworks at Bramley, Leeds, from c. 1898 when listed in Robinson, Leeds, to c1929, listed in Kelly, Leeds. The site was taken over by Jabez Woolley in 1930. Images PRBCO.


Brampton



James Pearson Ltd. produced bricks at their Brampton Brickworks from 1900 through to the 1920's. Kelly's Trade Directory has entries in the 1925 & 1928 editions for James Pearson Ltd. Chatsworth Road, Chesterfield in the Brick & Tile Makers section. Brampton Colliery was sunk in 1899 to produce coal for the nearby pottery & brickworks after New Brampton Colliery had been closed. The owner of Brampton Colliery was James Pearson in 1907. Pearson had purchased London Pottery & its brickworks from Frederick Lipscombe in 1888. He had also purchased the nearby Oldfield Pottery in 1884 & both these works were connected to Brampton Colliery via a tramway. Pearson's Oldfield Pottery stamped their pots & bricks with Brampton when they were made for export. Info and photos by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by David Kitching.


Brampton Bricks : see Kirkhouse


Brancepeth

Photo by Chris Tilney.



Made at Brancepeth Colliery, Willington , County Durham. The Brancepeth Colliery was mainly Firebricks which the NCB continued making till the 1960's. Owned at one time by Straker & Love (see separate entries). Brick is from an internal wall of a 1950's council property in the East End of Newcastle. Photo and info by Gordon Hull.

Thomas Brand, Norton

Thomas Brand, Norton, Malton, North Yorkshire - Kelly's Directory of the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire, 1893. Photo by Carla van Beveren.

Photo by Jase Fox.


T P Brand



Thomas Purkiss Brand was a farmer & brickmaker at Brook Hall, Foxearth, nr Sudbury, Suffolk. Brickmaking between 1880 & 1900. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Brandon

Photo by Chris Graham.



Photo taken by Don Boldison in York.

Arthur Brickman adds:   There had been brick and pipeworks at the Brandon Colliery in South West Durham since the 1870's, but they had mainly concentrated on the manufacture of sanitary ware. However, after nationalisation the NCB decided to switch production to firebricks for use in their extensive local colliery network, the works finally closing in 1974 as coal production in the Durham Coalfield began to wind down. From the mid-1960's they also produced a red-shale facing brick which was used in local housing products, but this is a somewhat elusive animal!

Branksea Fire



The Branksea Clay & Pottery Company was set up in 1853 by an ex-Indian army officer, Colonel William Petrie Waugh (the island is now known as Brownsea). On a trip there with his wife he had discovered fine-grained, white china clay, a deposit that an eminent geologist declared could be worth £1,000,000' Colonel Waugh bought the island for £13,000 and set about building a huge pottery as well as a 3,000ft brick embankment and sea wall as part of a land reclamation scheme that created 100 acres of extra arable land.

The plan to manufacture fine porcelain did not work, and after lots of trials it was concluded that the clay on Brownsea just wasn’t suitable. So instead production was switched to far less lucrative products such as sewage pipes, bricks and chimney pots. This was a large scale operation and by 1856 there were nine kilns, one of which could fire 18,000 bricks at a time. These were all shipped across to Poole from Pottery Pier, which was connected to the brickworks by a horse-drawn tramway. Unfortunately the venture depended on large bank loans and didn’t make enough money to repay them. In 1857 Colonel Waugh fled to Spain and was declared bankrupt. The pottery was put up for auction, didn’t even meet its low reserve price and in the late 1880s it was closed for good.

Photos by Martyn Fretwell.


Brashaw



 Found Sheffield, South Yorks. 2016. Origin not known - probably from the Sheffield area. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Brasside

Brasside brickworks, County Durham. Photo by Steven Tait.


Bratt Colbran



Bratt Colbran was formed in 1909 with offices at 10, Mortimer Street, London. The company were manufacturers of gas fires, electric fires, coal fires & surrounds, hence this glazed brick. The company is unlikely to have actually manufactured bricks and will have contracted with one or more brick manufacturers to make glazed bricks with its name on. Company adverts can be seen at this Link. Info and Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photos by Penny Foreman.


Bray



Found near Sheffield. Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

H Bray



It seems that H Bray & Co was formed as one of four partnership companies in 1881 after taking a 21 year lease on a 7 acre plot of land owned by Hempstead Brothers of Grantham. Kellys Huntingdonshire 1898 & 1903 editions records Henry Bray & Co. at Fletton, Peterborough & Kellys Notts. 1891 to 1904 editions lists his office address as Wheelergate, Nottingham, but with no works address. Info by Martyn Fretwell. Photo by Frank Lawson courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.

Brereton Collieries



The Brereton Collieries were situated just to the south of Rugeley, operating from the late 18th century to 1960. A number of brickworks have been recorded at various locations around the colliery and this one comes from the last works which was in business by 1921 at a site alongside the colliery railway to the north of the Coppice Pit. There was a large production building and three rectangular kilns which are marked as disused on the 1955 OS map. Info by David Kitching, photo taken at the Chasewater Railway museum.

Bretby Brick, Newhall

Bretby Brick & Stoneware Co Ltd, Newhall, Derbyshire. Photo by Frank Lawson.


Bretby Colliery



Produced at the colliery which was sunk in 1872  and originally owned by the Countess of Chesterfield, then the Earl of Carnarvon in 1890, who both resided at Bretby Hall. Carnarvon sold the colliery and Bretby Hall to fund his Tutankhamen expedition in 1920.  The colliery closed in 1928 due to it being unprofitable. Various seams were re-opened at different times up to 1962. Photo by Henry Noon, info by Martyn Fretwell.

Bridges

photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.Henry Bridges, Norroy Street, Sheffield, info by Frank Lawson.


Bridgewater Collieries



The Bridgewater Collieries operated extensive brickworks at Mosley Common adjacent to the pit.  Photo by Alan Davies.

It appears that the letters were put on upside down. Photo by Elaine Hill.


Bridgewater Estates



Photo by Jason Stott.


Bridgnorth

Found at Kinlet Colliery Engine House, Highley, Shropshire. Photo by Michael Raybould.



The Bridgnorth brickworks was situated just north of Eardington village about 1.5 miles south of Bridgnorth town centre and was originally known as the Knowle Sands Brickworks when it opened between 1891 and 1903 and it had two round kilns. The 1926 OS map shows a large rectangular kiln and a Hoffmann kiln served by a through siding off the Severn Valley Railway. The works appears to have closed by the early 1950s and the site is now occupied by the Knowle Sands Industrial Estate. Photo & info by David Kitching.

Abraham Brierley & Sons Ltd

Abraham Brierley & Son Ltd. Brimrod (Sparth), Rochdale, Lancs. Worrall's Directory 1885. Photo by David Kitching.


J Brierley & Son



J.Brierley & Son - Brandwood Moor, Stacksteads, Rossendale. Found in Rossendale. Info by Colin Driver, photo by David Kitching.

Briggs, Normanton

Henry Briggs Son & Co Ltd., Whitwood, Normanton, West Yorks.  The Company were major industrialists and the owners of several collieries in the Normanton & Pontefract area including Snydale, Whitwood, Haigh Moor and Methley Junction. The Company also owned Snydale Brickworks, Snydale, and the Micklefield and Newthorpe Lime Quarries and also controlled Briggs Collieries Limited. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

Photo by Chris Shaw.


Briggs Shipley

By 1869 there was a coal mine on Shipley High Moor, West Yorks operated by Briggs & Co.  The same family owned the Fairweather Green brickworks.  There were several generations who were active in Thornton, Clayton, Allerton and Shipley.  John Schofield Briggs was a coal merchant of Thornton.  His son was Joseph Briggs (1851-1912) who married Arabella Fairbank, thus uniting two Bradford coal mining and brick-making families.  John Schofield Briggs and Joseph Briggs seem to have been partners in several enterprises.  In 1860 they leased land from the Earl of Rosse at Shipley Moor and Sandy Lane Bottom for coal extraction.  Colliery brickworks are common in West Yorkshire although I cannot identify the exact site of this brick's production, unless they were made at Fairweather Green but marked 'Shipley'.  These bricks are still occasionally found today in the Shipley area and also in at least one derelict site near the University of Bradford.  Thanks to Derek Barker for the photo and information.


W Briggs, Cheetham, Manchester

William Briggs first appears in the trade directories as a brickmaker in the early 1880s. His works in Cheetham had two rectangular kilns in 1890. Having started as a bricklayer Briggs describes himself as a contractor and brick manufacturer in 1881 and a master brickmaker in 1901. The works is shown as derelict in 1923 with a new brickworks to the south west. Photo by David Kitching.


Brighouse

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.

These bricks were produced by a company called Brighouse Brick, Tile & Stone Co. Ltd., Gooder Lane, Rastrick. I believe that it was this company that built Brick Terrace, Tile Terrace, and Brick & Tile Terrace, Rastrick for its employees. The quarry face behind the terraces is still clearly visible. In the late 19th century its addresses are given as Rastrick, Brighouse & Hillhouse Rd, Huddersfield.  Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.

Photo by Chris Shaw.

Photo by Chris Worrell.


Brightside

Photo by David Kitching.

Made in Sheffield, thanks to Simon Patterson.

photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.


Brill



Brill bricks were used in Oxford as early as the middle of the 15th century. Maps show that by 1878 there were 3 brickworks operating and the Oxford & Aylesbury tramroad had been built. By 1898 there were 4 brickworks operating in the area, the latest addition was owned by the Duke of Buckingham, and named The Brill Brick & Tile Works. This works had a siding on the tramroad. The opening of the London Brick Company works at Calvert, some 7 miles away,in 1905, was the end of brick making in Brill. This site was, by 1919, a Hay Loader Works. Brill is a village in the Aylesbury Vale district of Buckinghamshire, famous for it's pottery made from Roman times to within living memory. Photo and info by Nigel Furniss.

Brimington

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photo

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.


Brinsley

Found by R.Coleman in Selston, Notts. Photo Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Frank Lawson courtesy of the Phil Sparham Collection.

Martyn Fretwell adds ;- I have now found that the Brinsley Brick & Tile Co. operated this brickworks which was situated next to Clinton Colliery on Stoney Lane, Brinsley, Notts in the 1880's & both were owned by John Beardsley. The colliery & brickworks had a tramway which ran down to the nearby Cromford Canal to distribute their coal & bricks. The colliery is recorded as closing in 1887, so the brickworks may have followed suit.

Bristol Brick & Tile Co Ld

Bristol Brick & Tile Co. Whitehall Rd. Speedwell, Bristol. Photo by Eric Taylor.


Bristol Fire Clay Co

The brickworks was at Crew's Hole, St George's, Bristol from the early 1800s to 1913. In 1890 the company advertised as 'Manufacturers of all kinds of sanitary ware' They also manufactured chimneypots and pavers. Photos by Eric Taylor.


Bristow



Found in Hulcote, on the Easton Neston estate, near Towcester by Nigel Furniss.

Britannia

Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.Made at Britannia Brickworks, Pildacre Lane, Ossett, West Yorks

This one was found a long way from home!  It was in the ruins of a now closed animal processing and freezer complex in Puerto Bories in Chilean Patagonia.  Many thanks to Robert Runyard. It is unlikely to have been made at the same works as the above one.


Britannia Brick Co Ltd

Kelly's Directory for Cheshire, 1906 - 1914. The Britannia Brick Co. Lim.; reg. office, Westminster Buildings, Mill Street; works McLaren Street, Crewe. Photo by Gavin Paget.


British Steel

The S is actually the British Steel logo. Found at the site of Workington Steelworks by Richard Cornish.


Broadbent& Co. Leicester



Broadbent's were builders merchants in Leicester so these bricks were probably made elsewhere and badged with their name.  Photo and info by Peter Harris.

Broadmoor, Cinderford

Still in business today in the Forest of Dean.



Found near Tintern by Michael Kilner.


Brockham



The Brockham brickworks in Sussex seems to have been established in 1860. In 1875 the Brockham Brick Co Ltd was formed to take over the brickworks. In about 1910 the business went into liquidation, due to the expiry of their lease, and the brickworks plant was offered for sale on 19th October 1910.

William Bromley-Davenport

William Bromley-Davenport of Capesthorne Hall, Cheshire owned a brickworks at Woodford, Cheshire. This works was in use before 1850 and continued until at least the mid-1870s. The 1897 OS map shows the site cleared and planted with trees. This brick was found not far from Woodford in the adjoining parish of Adlington. Photo & info by David Kitching.


William Bromley-Davenport, Marton

Made at Marton brickworks, Capesthorne Estate, Cheshire.  William Bromley-Davenport was the estate owner.


Bromsgrove

Simon Patterson photographed this one at Avoncroft Museum


Henry Brooke, Bradford



Made by Henry Brooke & Co at Denholm Fireclay Works, Bradford.  This special product has been part of a glassworks and the end is still coated with glass. Measures 12" high x 6-12" wide x 12" thick.Photo and info by Ian Suddaby.

Joseph Brooke

This famous company owned several quarries, including one in Scandinavia, a mine and a brick-works, in the 1840s. Joseph Brooke died in 1876 and his sons took over the business. They were certainly making bricks and firebricks by the end of the century. In the 20th century the company was known as Brooke Ltd and in 1910 many local authorities used their 'Silex' stone non-slip flags. The business later declined and closed in the 1960s. The firm constructed Brookeville, Hipperholme in 1911 using their products.  Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.  

photo by Darrell Prest

Found in Halifax by Simon Patterson.

photo by Darrell Prest.  

Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found at Clayworth, Notts.

Photo by Darren Haywood.

Front and back of Joseph Brooke brick by Robert G Farmer.







Found at Tockwith airfield in North Yorkshire by Sue Wright.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Jason Stott.

The two above photographs by Danielle Watson show a Brooke brick with a geometric pattern on the side. I had not previously seen anything other than plain glazed bricks from this firm.

Found during archaeological excavations on a site just west of Hounslow. Photo by Geoff Potter, Compass Archaeology.

Two brown glazed examples from the enginehouse of an Oldham Mill. Photo by Carley Noga.


Brookes

Photos by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Jason Stott.

Photos by David Kitching.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Edward Brooke & Sons owned the Fieldhouse fire-clay works at Fartown, Huddersfield.  Listed in trade directories from 1857 to 1917 and owned by Leeds Fire Clay from around 1890. Thanks to Derek Barker and Phillip Rothery for the information.



This brick was found at Baildon, West Yorkshire. Brookes (Hx) were owners of the Yorkshire Ganister Co. on Green Road, Baildon between 1901 & 1908. Brookes also manufactured white glazed bricks at their Huddersfield site, so it is open to conjecture as to where this ordinary red building brick was made. Image PRBCO.

Photo by David Kitching.

Photo by Warren Dunford.


Edward Brooks

Edward Brooks appears as a brickmaker in the 1875 Worrall's Directory of Oldham where he is listed as living at 55 Ashton Road. Photo by David Kitching.


William Brooks

Found in Middleton.

William Brooks, Chamber Brick Works, Ashton Road, Copster Hill, Oldham is listed in trade directories 1875-1895. Photos by David Kitching.

Photos by Jason Stott.


Brooks & Pickup - see Towneley Colliery, Burnley


Brookfield



Found at Tottington in Lancs - made by Taylor & Sons, Brookfield Brickworks, Hypatia Street, Tonge, Bolton, photo by Frank Lawson

Brookfield Clay Co, Chesterton



This brick may have been made by The Brookhouse Brick & Tile Co. who are listed at Chesterton, Newcastle, Staffs. in Kelly's 1876 & 1880 editions. Info by Martyn Fretwell. Photo by David Kitching.

Brookhouse

The Brookhouse Brick Co., Littledale, Caton, Lancaster operated from the early 1920s to the late 1960s - Winstanley, M. Rural Industries of the Lune Valley, 2000. See also entry for Lune.


Broomhill



Broomhill Colliery near Alnwick.


Brothers, Blackburn



O.Brothers Co.,Livesey,Blackburn.   Livesey Brickworks was started by Orlando Brothers (surname) around 1845.The site was to the west of Malvern Mill by the Leeds/Liverpool canal..Clay was transported from Meadowhead by mineral railway.By 1886 William Brothers owned the works but went bankrupt that year and it became a Limited Company.It was last worked by Livesey Brick & Tile Co.Ltd.but was wound up in 1894.  Found in Sale.  Photo and info by Colin Driver.

W Brough





William Brough, Haying, Silverdale, Newcastle under Lyme is listed in Kellys 1860 edition, then the entry is W. Brough & Son in Kelly's 1868 to 1892 editions. Info by Martyn Fretwell, photos by Ken Perkins.


Broughton Moor: see Wilson, Broughton Moor


Brown, Belper



The reverse of this brick is very lightly stamped Belper.  W. Brown of Becksick Lane in Belper is listed in Kelly's 1855 edition.  Becksick Lane does not exist on maps today, but I have found Becksitch Lane which could be the modern name for this lane? Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Brown, Braintree



James Brown is listed in Kellys 1871 to 1902 editions at Braintree. Brown also owned several more brickworks in Essex at various times between 1871 & 1908 & these where at Chelmsford, Romford, Brentwood, Boreham & Witham. From Kellys 1906 edition the company name is listed as James Brown Ltd. & then from 1912 there is only one brickworks listed at Kavanagh Road, Brentwood. 1919 see the company change it's name to James Brown (1919 Brentwood) Ltd. The next change is in Kellys 1937 edition when the entry is Browns Brick Works (British Cavity Brick & Tile Works Ltd.) Kavanagh Road, Brentwood. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Brown, Kingswinford



J. & E. Brown of Kingswinford are listed in Kelly's 1868 to 1880 editions, then in 1884 edition just as John Brown, brickmaker, High Street, Kingswinford, Dudley. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

J S Brown, Loughborough



Photographed at Cadeby Reclamation yard by Martyn Fretwell.



Joseph Stanley Brown - White's 1877 Trade Directory. Found in the garden of a house on Gladstone Avenue, Loughborough. Photo and info by Richard Thorpe.

James Brown, Essex



Photographed at a brick reclamation yard in Kent.  James Brown owned brickworks in Brentwood, Boreham, Hatfield, Witham, Upminster & Romford in Essex & I have found him listed in several trade directories from 1874 to 1914. Kelly's 1894 edition records him at Writtle Street, Chelmsford, Upminster, Romford & Braintree. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

The earliest type of brick found on the site of the Brown Brickworks at Pot Kilns, Upminster is the brick which is simply embossed JB on a flat face. Subsequent ones are embossed with JB in the frog. Later types are embossed JBU, where the 'U' identified Upminster as the manufacturing site. James Brown was a highly successful producer of bespoke, hand-moulded bricks in 650 versions (1891 catalogue) - eminently suitable for the Victorian high-gothic use of decorative brickwork. Arguably they were the leading manufacturer of such bricks and the brickearth at Upminster was particularly well suited to this application. After WW1 Brown's had concentrated production at their Brentwood Brickworks and given up their Upminster site. Info & Photos by Andy Grant.

James Brown, Rossington

James Brown, Rossington Hall, Doncaster. This brick was found in the grounds of Rossington Hall. James Brown was the owner of the hall from 1845 until his death in 1877. On the OS 6 inch map of 1901 there is evidence of brick ponds just to the north of the hall so I suspect that this brick was made on the estate and pressed with the estate owner's initials. Photo & info by Frank Lawson.


John Brown & Co. Aldwarke Main Colliery.



Photographed at Valley Reclamation Yard, Chesterfield by Martyn Fretwell. Made by John Brown & Co. Aldwarke Main Colliery Brickworks, Parkgate, Rotherham.  Info by Frank Lawson.

John Brown & Co. Rotherham Main Colliery.



The Sheffield steel firm owned Rotherham Main Colliery at Canklow near Rotherham. Photo and information by Antony Meadows.

Photo by Frank Lawson.


J K Brown

John Kay Brown was born at Skiers Hall in Elsecar in 1808. His father was a brick maker and John ran his own brickworks close to Milton Ironworks. He died in 1877. Photo by Vanessa Arnold.


R. Brown

Roger Brown, Ecclesall New Road, Sheffield. White's Sheffield Directory 1856/1862. Photo by Frank Lawson, courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection.


Brown & Ragsdale

Brown & Ragsdale, Millgate & Beacon Hill, Newark - Kelly's trade directory 1853. Photo by Ben Powell, brick found at Barnby-in-the-Willows, Nottinghamshire.


Browne & Co, Bridgwater

Found by John Biggs in Glastonbury. Browne and Company had brick yards in Bridgwater and the surrounding area. The business was merged into the Somerset Trading Company in the early 1890s.

Photo by Ian Williams.


Buck, Cambridge



Thomas Buck junior is listed as brickmaker at Stanley Road, Newmarket Road, Cambridge in Kelly's 1892, 96 & 04 editions & his works was operational between 1880 & 1912. Info by Martyn Fretwell, photo by Frank Lawson.

Buck, Co. Durham



Photo by Mark Cranston.  J Buck is listed as having concerns at both Low Fell and Dunston in the 19thC.

Buckley & Co - see Steeple House


Buckleys Lowside



Rothwell and Ephraim Buckley were working the drift mine known as Lowside Colliery on Glodwick Lows, Oldham, from c1910 until 1938. Immediately to the east was the Lowside Brickworks that appears to have opened after 1900 and was gone by the early 1950s.  Photo and information by David Kitching.

Budleigh Salterton



Martin Smith, who spotted this one, writes: There was a brickworks in Dalditch Lane, Budleigh Salterton which was in business between about 1871 to 1907 when the site was put up for auction.  The site has now completely disappeared under a growth of conifers. 

Builders Direct Supply Co.



The Builders' Direct Supply Co Ltd were primarily builder's merchants, until they took over the brickworks of Cunnell & Co Ltd on Mile Cross Lane, Norwich in order to manufacture their own soft reds, believed in the 1920s using a Hoffman-type kiln, until it was demolished in the early 1960s.  Photo and info by Chris Fisher.



Discovered in the 1958 extension to the Catholic church in Hunstanton, Norfolk by Eric Rhodes.

Building Bricks

Found on the site of Workington Steelworks by Richard Cornish. No idea as to the maker.

Found at Maryport and photographed by Mark Cranston who suggests that it may be a product of the Seaton Fire Brick Co.


Building Materials Co.



Seen at Nordelph, Norfolk by David Kitching.  Martyn Fretwell writes :- I have photographed this BMC brick in a fellow enthusiasts collection and he has recorded this brick as Building Materials Co. Ltd. prop. W.A. Bardell, Bawsey, Kings Lynn, Norfolk. I then found the following trade directory entries for Bardell Brothers at Bawsey, Kings Lynn in White's 1883 & 90 editions & Kelly's 1892 & 96 editions.

Building Material Supply Stores



The Building Material Supply Stores Ltd, 16a Chester St & works, Wood Street, Shrewsbury is listed in Kelly's 1913 edition in the Brick & Tile Manufactures section. Further research has revealed that Wood Street was only a builders yard & BMSS was set up by H.H. Treasure who had run a builders merchants yard from the Wood Street site previously in his own name since the 1880's. Adverts for BMSS records that they supplied Ruabon, Broseley & Staffordshire bricks & tiles, also bricks made at the Buttington Brickworks. H.H. Treasure is also known to have had an interest in the Buttington Brickworks, possibly owning shares, so one can assume that the Buttington Brickworks made the bricks stamped BMSS & Treasure & Son. Also see entry for Treasure & Son. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Bull Bridge

Bull Bridge Brick Co. Ltd., Bullbridge, Ambergate, Derbyshire. Photos by Frank Lawson

Photo by Zoe Elizabeth Hunter.

Found at Rowsley in Derbyshire by Antony Meadows.

See also W Eaton.


Bull Hill Fire Clay Works, Darwen

Bull Hill Fire Clay Works, Darwen. This was situated on Cranberry Moss and was owned by Ralph Entwistle. On his death in 1899 the estate with the clay and coal mines beneath were sold at auction but the works seems to have already closed by that time. Nothing remains in the ground. Photos by Jason Stott.


Bulwell

The Bulwell Brick Company had two works, one on Wells Road, Nottingham & this works is listed in Kelly's from 1891 to it's 1916 edition. The Kett Street works, Bulwell is listed from 1876 to it's 1932 edition, with this brickworks closing around 1940.  Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo.

Found near Papplewick pumping station in Notts. by Alan Murray-Rust.

Found in Hucknall by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by Alan Murray-Rust.

Photo by Martyn Fretwell, found in Hucknall.

Photo by Frank Lawson



Photo by John Morley.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell. Courtesy of Nottingham City Museums & Galleries.


W N Bundy, Whittlesea



William Nelson Bundy was first in partnership with James Anderson from 1868 to 1872 when the company was dissolved. Bundy & Anderson are listed in Kelly's 1869 edition at Chatteris Road, Whittlesey. W.N. Bundy is listed on his own at Station Road, Whittlesey in Kelly's 1879 edition. Entries up to 1913 edition then list the works at Lattersey Field, Whittlesey. Both these two locations are the same site near to the railway station. The works closed in 1913 with William going into liquidation. Photo by LBC Steve & Info by Martyn Fretwell.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Burbury Brickworks


Burbury Brickworks, Sparkhill, Birmingham operated from the later 19th century until the 1950s. The site access was from Bridge Road off Percy Road and it is presumed that this brick was named after the latter. A history of the works can be found here: https://aghs.jimdo.com/brick-and-tile-making/greet-and-tyseley/
This brick was used in an Edwardian house in Edgbaston. Photo by Stephen Hartland

See also the entry for A Lewis who owned this works around 1900.


Burgass



William Burgass is listed as brickmaker at Carlton Hill, Nottingham in Kelly's 1855 & White's 1864 editions. In 1867 William Burgass and Edward Gripper combined their brickworks to form The Nottingham Patent Brick Company, operating at Carlton Hill and Mapperley. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell. Courtesy of Nottingham City Museums & Galleries.



Photo by Nigel Furniss.


Burgh Castle

Burgh Castle Brick and Cement Works opened in 1859 and closed in 1912. The brickworks was owned by the Burgh Castle Portland Cement Co. from 1875 to 1892, then the Burgh Castle Brick Co. Ltd. from 1892 to 1904. The bricks were fired in four kilns. Chalk was brought by wherry from Whitlingham and bricks (red and white) were taken to buyers by water and used to build the Aquarium and hotels in Great Yarmouth. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.

Further information is available at these links: Norfolk Heritage and Facebook


Burham Brick & Cement Works

Photo by Marco Sonntag.

Burham Brick, Lime & Cement Co. near Aylesford, Kent was started in 1852, by Thomas Cubitt, the architect of Queen Victoria's Osborne House. In 1871 it became a Limited Company. He produced millions of different kinds of bricks including Pether's Patent ornamental bricks, which were made by forcing Gault clay into a hinged iron mould. By this method any elaborate design could be produced, which made it affordable and a durable means of decoration. Bricks were also supplied via their own barges for the London sewers and the Thames Embankment. As well as bricks he produced lime and cement and by 1900 the company was formed into APCM and was well known for its Blue Circle brand of Portland cement. The works in Burham closed in 1941, photos of it now are here. Photos by Tong Shan Hui and info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photos by Ken Evans.


W Burkitt


W. Burkitt worked for Fred Jewson at Fred's brickworks in Haddenham, Cambs. before setting up on his own at a location which is unknown. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.


Burley Gate



 The 'Gate' trademark, barely discernible within the frog, identifies this as a product of the Burley Gate brickworks, some ten miles from Bromyard in deepest North East Herefordshire. The works was started in the 1870s by William Cale and continued to function probably until the outbreak of World War ll, as the kiln was sold as building salvage in 1940.  Photo and info by Richard Paterson.

Burmantofts, Leeds

also see the entry for Leeds Fireclay Co.

A member of the Leeds Fireclay Company. Image PRBCO.



The front and rear of a Burmantofts brick by Martyn Fretwell



J Burn, Choppington

In 1871 John Burn was a brick manufacturer employing 6 men and 4 women living at German House adjacent to Choppington Station, Northumberland. The brickworks was just to the west of his residence. Photos by Chris Tilney.

Photo by Steven Tait.


Burnaxe: see Burn Fireclay Company


Burn Fireclay Co.

Burn Fireclay Co. Stobswood, Northumberland, open from 1860 to mid 1990's.  Superaxe and Meltaxe were also made here. Axe was the company trade name.



Photo by David Kitching.

Photo by Tony Gray.



Thanks to George Simpson for the photo.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell



Photo by Martyn Fretwell from the David Penney Collection.

Found in the Tweed estuary by Andrew Stewart. Photo by Edith Stewart.

Photos by Anne Jeffcoat.

Photo by Tony Gray.

Photos by Mark Cranston.

Photos by Paul Hampson.

Found at Rosyth by Andrew Wood.


J Burnes

Found in the Irish Republic but thought to be from the United Kingdom. Photo by Robert Reynolds.


Burnley B & L

The Burnley Brick & Lime Company Ltd., Reedley Hallows, Burnley ( Kelly 1901 ) and 
Hesandford works, Burnley & Altham ( Kelly 1918 ). Photo by Jason Stott.


Burscough Brick & Tile Co

The Burscough Brick & Tile Co. (Thorougoods) operated from about
1900 to the 1960’s. Photo and info by Peter Lea.


Bursledon Brick Co.






This company was owned by two Quaker families, the Hooper's and the Ashby's and as well as being in business together they were also united by marriage. The Company was started by Edward Hooper in Southampton and he is recorded in the 1851 census as an engineer/brickmaker, trading in slate, white bricks and cement at  Baltic Wharf, Chapel Road, Southampton. Other members of both families joined this expanding company which traded as Hooper and Ashby and in 1864 Edward's brother Charles purchased the White Brickworks at Exbury. By the 1881 census the company now under the control of Edmund Ashby traded as builders merchants, brickmakers and barge owners, employing 90 men and 25 boys. Around 1893 the company of Hooper and Ashby was then split into two with Morris Ashby and Robert Beck (Edward Hooper's son in law) running the builder's merchants and with Edmund and Robert Ashby running the brick and cement works which now traded as Hooper and Co. at Chandlers Ford. With clay reserves running low at Chandler's Ford Edmund and Robert Ashby then opened a new brickworks at Lower Swanwick near Bursledon around 1896/7. This new works first traded as Hooper and Co. with the name then being changed to the Bursledon Brick Co. in 1903 and their bricks were stamped with their distinct logo of B.B.Co. The Ashby family continued to run the Bursledon brickworks until it was taken over just after the Second World War by the Sussex & Dorking Brick Company, who in turn were taken over by Redland. The Bursledon works continued under Redland until it's closure in 1974. Info and bricks photographed at the Bursledon Brickworks Museum by Martyn Fretwell.  More info:  http://www.bursledonbrickworks.org.uk


Burslem: See Sneyd


A & T Burslem, Stockport



This brick is believed to have been made by Alexander & Thomas Burslem, sons of Alexander Burslem, who in 1881 was a brickmaker and farmer of 15 acres living on Adswood Lane, Stockport. In 1891 he was living at 1 Councillor Lane & was described as a Master Brickmaker. He is then recorded in Kelly's Cheshire 1896 edition at Adswood, Stockport. After his death in 1901, his wife is recorded in Kelly's 1902 edition as brickmaker and employer at Adswood, with his son Alexander as the manager of the works and Thomas as brickmaker. By 1906 the business had closed and in 1911 the two sons were both working as Carriers, with Thomas noted as carrying bricks, presumably from one or more of the other local brickyards. Photo by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection. Info by David Kitching.

Burthy



Burthy Brickworks, Summercourt, Cornwall SW919557, Photo by David Kitching, part of the collection at Wheal Martyn China Clay Museum.

Burton Broseley

Found at Preston Montford, Shrewsbury.  Broseley is near Ironbridge.  Burton, John and Edward, brickmakers, Ladywood. (From Harrison, Harrop & Co. Trade Directory, 1861).  Photo and info by Christopher Dixon.



Photo by Mike Shaw.

Photo by Frank Lawson.


Burwell

Found in Suffolk by Simon Patterson who adds that the company was owned by Fisons Ltd. in Ipswich.  Peter Harrison states this was made by the Burwell Brick Co. at Burwell near Newmarket.



Spotted in a c1900 house in Cambridge by Mike Shaw.



Photographed in Corris, Powys.



This brickworks was started in the 1860's by Richard Ball, a fertilizer manufacturer who employed his turf diggers to dig clay during the winter months. In 1880 the firm became Colchester & Ball & they produced the Burwell White bricks which were used to build the houses in the village in the late 19th & 20th centuries. Briefly owned by another fertilizer company Prentices, the business was merged into Fisons in 1929. A new & larger brickworks had been built in 1926 & it continued to be operated by Fisons until 1966 when the brickworks was sold to a Leicestershire brick manufacturer. The works closed in 1971 due to the loss of popularity of white bricks & the demolition of the works & it's 180ft chimney took place in 1972. Info & Photographed at Bursledon brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

Abraham Bury

This is the first lettered brick I have ever seen from Macclesfield. The maker is Abraham Bury who was already in business as a brickmaker in 1858. By 1871 he was Mayor of Macclesfield and described himself as an earthenware manufacturer at Sutton Pottery on Byrons Lane, Sutton. The Sutton Pottery continued in business making plant pots until the early 1980s. Found in Macclesfield and photographed by Steve Biddulph.



Two bricks found in Macclesfield by Frank Lawson.


Bury Brick Co



The Bury Brick Co., Bury St. Edmunds was operational between 1898 & 1905. Kellys 1900 edition lists the works as Bury St. Edmunds Brick Co. William Jones, manager, Nowton Road, Bury. Info & Photographed at the Museum of East Anglian Life by Martyn Fretwell.

J Bustard, Barnsley



This brick was found at  Ryhill (GCR) Station, opened in 1882, as a constituent part of the platform, thus dating its production. The Pogmoor area of Barnsley is home to the Chamberlain, Metallic and Summer Lane Brick Companies and Bustard was probably making bricks in the area prior to the latter two. Image PRBCO.

J Butcher & Son



Kellys 1876 edition lists J. Butcher as brickmaker at Irchester, Wellingborough. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.


Bute

Photo by Tony Gray.

Photo by David Kitching.

Made by the Bute Brickworks, High Spen, Tyne & Wear.  This example was used in the construction of the colliery buildings at Chopwell Colliery.  Thanks to George Simpson for the photo.

Photos by Frank Lawson.  The name is that of the local landowner The Marquis of Bute. 


Butler

Photo by Martyn Fretwell.  Timothy Butler, Marlpool, Heanor, Derbys (Post Office Derbyshire Directory 1855), info by Frank Lawson.


Butt



Martyn Fretwell writes ;- John Butt & Son are listed at Wick, Littlehampton in Kellys 1882 to 1891 editions. There is no listing for the company in Kellys 1899 edition, but the entry is resumed in Kellys 1905 to 1911 editions at Littlehampton. Old maps show several Brick Fields scattered around Wick which only have a kiln marked & no other buildings, so I am assuming these yards were worked in the "Summer Style" and only produced small quantities of bricks. Photo by Dan Gregory.

Butterknowle

A County Durham brick.  Butterknowle bricks were marked by a thumbprint.  This tapered brick was used in a coke oven at East Howle, Durham.  Thanks to Paul Harman for the photo and information.


Butterley Company

The Butterley Company were based in Ripley, Derbyshire and began life as Benjamin Outram & Co in 1790.  They owned several brickworks and the brickworks side of the business eventually became part of Hanson PLC.

Martyn Fretwell writes; Info from the National Archives, The Butterley Co. owned brickworks at Waingroves, Ollerton & Kirkby, but with Kirkby being nationalised in 1947 they acquired the Ambergate Brick Co. and the Blaby Brick & Tile Works. These two works were merged into the group in 1955 & they renamed the group, Butterley & Blaby Brick Co.Ltd. Hence B & B Waingroves and B & B Ambergate, see link for picture of name board at Ambergate. In 1968 the company was taken over by the Wiles Group, later called Hanson Trust Ltd. Then in 1969 the company was renamed as Butterley Building Materials Ltd., when it acquired several more brickworks in the 1970's & 80's including the National Star Group, the Castle Brick Co. and the London Brick Co. 1985 saw the company change its name again to the Butterley Brick Co. Ltd.  http://www.cacn.org.uk/news/basa0612.htm

Photo by Colin Butler.

Photos by Frank Lawson.

Photos by David Kitching.

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the above photos.

Photo by Ian Armstrong.

Photo by Maurice Stokes, found at Clay Mills.

photo by Martyn Fretwell

Photo by Jason Stott.

Found in Ironville, Derbyshire by Martyn Fretwell.

Thanks to Colin Butler and Martyn Fretwell, they believe that this brick was made at what later became N.C.B. Kirkby. Photo by Jason Stott.

Photos by Frank Lawson.

Thanks to Ian C for the above photo.



Believed to have been made by Butterley and Blaby, Found by Keith.



A Waingroves metallic with crown and flags. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.



Found in Mickleover, Derby by Alan Murray-Rust.

Believed to be Waingroves bricks, found near Alfreton, photos by Frank Lawson.

Photo by Nigel Furniss.


Buxton



Photo by David Kitching, who writes: there is a brick and tile works visible just off Brown Edge Road on the
1st series of county maps (1880ish). All gone by 1898.

J & William Buxton and W & J Buxton



J. & William Buxton are listed as brickmakers in Kimberley, Nottingham in Kelly's1876 edition & is followed by entries for William Buxton in 1881 to 1904 editions at Kimberley. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.

Photo by David Kitching.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell.


James Byrom

James Byrom ran a brickworks in the Audley area of Blackburn. He sold off his plant at Lambeth Street in 1884 by which time the area was being built over.


William Byrom

The Byrom family were involved in brickmaking in the area south of Bank Top in Blackburn where there were a number of works from the late 1840s. At East Street in 1868 Dobson & Barlow were runnng the Witton Patent Brickworks with machinery driven by a 16 hp horizontal steam engine. This was subsequently operated by John Dixon before the area was built over in the 1880s. William Byrom is listed as a brickmaker in the 1861 and 1871 census, living on Duckworth Street and then Galligreaves Street just to the east of the brickworks.


Byron

Byron bricks were made at Byron Brick works near Carr Vale Derbyshire.  Link to history of the company here.

Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photos.



Photo by Martyn Fretwell, from the Phil Sparham Collection.

T. W. Bytham

The lettering reads: Adamantine. T Bytham W. Registered.  Found by Frank Lawson in Little Bytham, Lincolnshire and is from the works of Towers & Williamson who operated in Little Bytham until the early 20th century and specialised in Allenite Clinker bricks.


Next page: English bricks, page 5, Letter C 
Return to the England index page