The Toll End Colliery Company is listed as a brick manufacturer in trade directories from 1872-1876. Photo by Elizabeth Thomson.
Photos by Frank Lawson.
George Henry Tomlinson is recorded in the 1881 Census as living in Gringley on the Hill aged 37. Born in Gainsborough in 1844 his occupation is given as brick manufacturer employing 10 men & 1 boy. George is listed as brickmaker in Kelly's 1881 to 1904 editions at Gringley on the Hill. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by David Kitching.
Tomlinson, reverse Ilkeston. Photos by Frank Lawson, courtesy of Derby Museums.
John Tomlinson & Son, Carwood Lane Brickworks & Broad Lane, Sheffield - Kelly's West Riding Directory 1881. Lyons Street, Sheffield. Kelly's Sheffield Directory 1893. Photos and info by courtesy of Frank Lawson.
Found in Warwickshire by Darrell R Buckley.
Photo by Alan Davies.
Photos by courtesy of the Colin Driver collection.
Tomlinson is thought to have taken over the works formerly occupied by the Northern Brick and Terra Cotta Company Limited on the site of the former Springfield Railway Wagon Works between Walmersley and Summerseat soon after October 1900. It is unclear whether the business survived WW1 but the site was cleared and levelled by 1929.
Tomlinson & Harpur, Rowditch Brickworks, Derby are listed in Kelly's 1855 edition. Info & Photographed at Derby Silk Mill Museum by Martyn Fretwell.
An alternative spelling, seen at Cawarden reclamation. Photo by Nigel Furniss.
No info. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Found at Cockburnspath, Berwickshire Scotland, which is an awfully long way from Kent!
Kelly's 1902 edition lists the Torbay Brick Co. at Collaton St. Mary, Paignton. The 1904 map shows the Torbay Brickworks by name & there are two more works named Collaton & Clayland, all clustered around Clayland Cross. The 1938 map still shows all three brickworks. There is also a National Archives reference to the Torbay Brickworks operating a semi-plastic plant between 1933 & 1940. Today the former Torbay brickworks site is the local Council Depot on Borough Road. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the John Baylis Collection.
Photo by Andrew Florey.
Photo by Tony Lowton.
Thanks to Simon Patterson for the photos.
Tow Law Fire Brick Works (J Pickard mngr.) Dan's Castle, Tow Law, Durham Kelly's Durham Directory 1858. Photo and info by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Photo by Lee Cook.
Photo by Steven Tait.
Images by Chris Tilney.
Photo by Steven Pinder.
Found at Hart Hill, Gildersome may have been made by Joseph Towler, Holbeck, Leeds listed in trade directories around 1870, info and image PRBCO.
On the reverse frog is stamped BURNLEY. The colliery worked to 1948, and was situated along with the brickworks adjacent to the Todmorden to Accrington railway line, on the southern flank of Burnley by Towneley Park. Image PRBCO.
Front and back, photo by Frank Lawson.
Photo by Frank Lawson.
Image by David Kitching.
This appears to be an old and probably hand made brick with the B P impression applied by hand as the sister brick (below) I found had the impression towards the corner of the brick. Thought to be Brooks & Pickup and probably from the Cornholme works as was found nearby. Photo and info by Frank Lawson.
Found in the remains of an old mill in Todmorden by Frank Lawson.
Front and back of a Towneley Colliery brick by Frank Lawson.
Townsend & Barlow were supplying bricks in the Bacup area in 1864 and I suspect that their business became Townsend, Hargreaves & Barlow soon after. Photo by David Kitching.
Townsend, Hargreaves and Barlow were colliery proprietors as well as brickmakers. The brickworks was in the Greave area of Bacup.1865 to 1870. Info by Colin Driver.
George Traunter, Queens Road, Manchester, stocks & fancy bricks. The Morning Chronicle, 9th February, 1859 records that brickmakers George Traunter & Samuel Williams of Cheetham, Lancs. had dissolved their partnership, so this brick will have been made after 1859. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Treasure & Son, builders & contractors in Temeside, Ludlow, Shrops. were established in 1747 & today this company is still going strong, specialising in the renovation, repair & conservation of old & historic buildings. From around 1895 to 1900 Henry Hurle Treasure owned the Buttington Brick & Terra-Cotta Works near Welshpool & this is where he made his Treasure & Son Salop. bricks. In 1900 Henry Treasure liquidated the Buttington Brick & Terra-Cotta Co. & the lease on the brickworks reverted back to the Earl of Powis who then re-assigned the lease to Mr. W.H. Thomas in 1901. This information came from the Shropshire History website. We then find that Edward Oakwell who also operated a brickworks in Wombwell, South Yorkshire operated the Buttington Brickworks from 1902 to 1945, with the Buttington brickworks eventually closing in the mid 1970's. Photos and info by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Frank Lawson.
White's 1844 edition lists John & Edmund Tricker as brickmakers in Little Cornard, Sudbury, Suffolk. 1844 was also the year Edmund died. Kellys 1865 edition records Mrs. Mary Ann Tricker (Edmund’s wife) as brickmaker at Little Cornard, Sudbury, so it was probably in the 1860’s that this brick was made. The works is next recorded as being owned by Henry John Seger in Morris 1868 edition. Info & Photographed at the Museum of East Anglian Life by Martyn Fretwell.
This massive brick was found in Stourbridge. Photo by Benjamin Jones
Made in Redhill, Surrey. Photo by Richard Symonds. Link to history of brickworks.
G Tucker & Son Ltd, Loughborough, Genuine Handmade. Found near Epperstone, Notts by Frank Lawson.
Found by Martyn Fretwell. Tucker's later became part of the Butterley Co.
Made in 1888, Photographed at Cadeby Reclamation yard by Martyn Fretwell.
Found in Wolverhampton by Simon Patterson.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found near Thurgarton.
Photos by Martyn Fretwell
Found at Willoughby-on-the-Wolds, between Nottingham and Leicester by Alan Murray Rust.
John Tomlinson writes (July 2011): we have found a large number of these bricks at the National Trust Quarry Bank Mill site in Styal, Cheshire. The Trust acquired the kitchen garden, which dates from about 1810, in August 2010. The bricks were found there - and one has just turned up in an on-going archaeological dig looking for a melon house.
The name is on the end of this brick & was a trade name belonging to G Tucker & Son Ltd, Loughborough, which was taken over by Butterley/Hanson in 1964. This could be a post 1964 example. The Multiruf trade name is still used & made by Hanson at it's Desford Works in Bagworth, Coalville, Leics. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Photographed in situ in a 1963 built bungalow by David Haslam.
Found by Mark Cranston in Fife, Scotland along with other Tucker bricks.
George Tucker & Son, Park Road, Loughborough, Leics - Kelly's Leicestershire Directory 1891. Photo by Richard Thorpe.
Photos by Martyn Fretwell.
Photos by Frank Lawson.
Presumably not enough room to fit the E on the end! Thanks to Darren Haywood for the photo. A brand name of G Tucker (see entry above).
Made at Tudhoe Colliery which was owned by the Weardale Steel, Coal & Coke Co. Ltd. Photos by Chris Tilney.
Crossley & Sons Ltd., Middlesbrough, Commondale & Grosmont, N.Yorks. Kelly's East & North Riding of Yorkshire Directory 1913: - Office & Depot, Boundary Road, Middlesbrough; Branch Depots, Bridge Road, Stockton on Tees & Ormesby: Works, Commondale & Grosmont. Crossley's later had a works at Broomfleet in East Yorkshire. Photo by David Kitching.
Found at Auckley, Doncaster. Photo by Frank Lawson
A product of the Tunstall Brick & Tile Co, Newfields, Tunstall. which is only listed in the 1889-90 Keates trade directory. Photo and information by David Kitching.
The Industrial Museum at Bradford was recently asked to identify an example of this brick which was seen at Portsmouth Naval Dockyard. The image here was taken, with permission, from the Kent based Wallwork Family website which contains many beautiful photographs of artefacts and examples of natural history. It can be found at: http://www.wallwork.me.uk/index.html. The Tunbridge Wells Museum have since confirmed the brick was produced by the High Brooms Brick and Tile Works who were in business 1885-1968. Thanks to Derek Barker. More info here.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection, found at Ancaster, Lincs.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Frank Lawson.
Frederick Turner is listed as brickmaker in Lavenham in Kellys 1892 to 1900
editions. Info & Photographed at the Museum of East Anglian Life by Martyn Fretwell.
The works was in Stamford, Lincolnshire. Photo by Eddie Ball.
Thomas Turner's Swindon Tile & Pottery Works was in Drove Road, Swindon he purchased the clay pits, brick, tile and pottery works in what is now the Queen's Park around 1875. The works continued in production until after 1900.
Not a brick but a 6 inch pipe found on Turton Moor. Started life as Turton Moor Brickworks in 1868. Then in 1893 as Turton Moor Sanitary Pipe Co. Ltd. - Charters Moss, Egerton - Sanitary Pipe & Plastic Brick Manufacturers. In 1901 it became Darwen Sanitary Pipes Ltd. Closed 1911. Photo and info by Colin Driver.
Whiston and Huyton are between St Helens and Liverpool.
Found in Hasland, near Chesterfield by Simon Patterson. Tim Lawton writes: I believe the brick was made at the Twentywell Brickworks located in Bradway, Sheffield, adjacent to the railway cutting off Twentywell Lane. From what I can glean from the old ordnance survey maps, the works was in operation from at least 1875 through to the 1950s (maybe later). Interestingly the works seemed to manufacture stoneware also. Malcolm Adlington adds: Twentywell closed in 1939, but wasn't demolished until the late 1950s or early 1960s
photo courtesy of Graham Hague (Sheffield) collection
Photo by Alan Murray-Rust.
This works, opened in about 1867, was situated in the north-east corner of the crossing of the railway at Twywell station by the Kettering to Stamford road. Built by Thomas Walters, an iron ore proprietor in the area, the yard was probably acquired by P. Phipps and Co.Ltd. (the Northampton brewers) about 1873 when the Newbridge Iron Co. acquired the ironstone interests. By 1888 there were several kilns at work but by the middle 1890's the yard had closed. Information supplied by Barry Ford and the picture was taken by his wife Annie Ford.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell courtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
This brick was discovered during works on the Bosley locks on the Macclesfield Canal. It was manufactured at the Klondike Brickworks of J & M Tymm in Rose Hill, Marple. The works was opened in the 1880's and remained in production until 1913 when the site was sold to Marple Urban District Council.
The front and back of a Tymms brick. Found by Frank Lawson in Chinley
Found on the Tweed estuary by Andrew Stewart.
Tyne Fire Brick Works, Dunston, Gateshead. Photo by Chris Tilney.
Photo by Chris Tilney
This brick is believed to have been made at the Tynevale brickworks in Dunston, west of Gateshead. Photo and info by Chris Tilney.
Info at this link. Photo courtesy of the John Baylis Collection by Martyn Fretwell.
The United Brick Co. Ltd is listed in Kelly's 1914 & 16 edtions at Lattersley Fields, Whittlesea with the office in Cowgate, Peterborough. Info & Photo courtesy of the Bill Richardson collection at Southwick Hall by Martyn Fretwell.
This was a colliery in the Wakefield area. The Upton Colliery
Company was formed in 1923
and the pit closed in 1966. Like so many collieries it seems to have had its own brickworks. Thanks to Derek Barker for the info.
Photo by Chris Tilney.
Photos by Chris Tilney.
Made at Usworth Colliery near Sunderland, thanks to Bill Richardson.
Utopia bricks were made by the Aldridge Brick and Tile Company. Utopia's were particularly popular in the construction of air raid shelters, due to their extreme hardness. There were three plants, which did engineering bricks, hand made and blue bricks. The firm closed in 1965, and Aldridge was taken over by the Ibstock Brick Company. Photo by Frank Lawson.
Photos by David KItching.
Peter J Davison (Brickworks of the North East) attributes the initials "V L " to Vane - Londonderry with works at Pensher & West Rainton. The Marquess of Londonderry whose family name is Vane was a major industrialist in the Durham coalfield and owned several collieries and associated brickworks. Info by Frank Lawson.
Albert Henry Vass is recorded as Brickmaker, living at Ingarsby House, Uppingham Road, Leicester around 1905. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Whites 1890 edition lists Eli Vassar as brickmaker at New Walsoken, Wisbech. Kellys 1892 & 96 editions records Eli Vassar with the address of 47, Norwich Road, New Walsoken. Then in Kellys 1904 edition the entry is now Ernest Vassar, Ferndene, Norwich Road, New Walsoken. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
At the Park Pit site brickmaking recommenced in 1937 after the closure of the Poynton collieries. A private company, the Poynton Brick Co. used shale from the colliery tip to make bricks using an open topped kiln of the Scotch type. In a 1939 trade directory the works is described as run by the Vernon Brick Co., and soon after was taken over by J & A Jackson. The machinery was situated in the old colliery power house and the bricks with "Vernon Poynton" on the face could still be found in the press until the works was demolished in the early 1970s. The plant was electrified in 1956 and the kiln had a top put over it, but production ceased in 1958. Maximum output was 65,000 bricks per week. Photo & info by David Kitching.
Photo by Ian Castledine.
Photographed at Corris by Martyn Fretwell.
George Henry Verrall produced bricks at his Dullingham Ley works near Newmarket from 1880 to 1900. G.H. Verrall is listed in Kellys 1883, 88 & 96 editions as brickmaking at Dullingham Ley & in the 1883 edition as residing at Sussex Lodge, Snailwell Road, Newmarket. Info & Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
This intertwined E.J.A. Verwood brick was made by E.J. Adams & he is listed in Kelly's Dorset 1911 edition at Verwood Station, Verwood, Dorset. The next entry for this works is Verwood & Gotham Brick & Tile Co. The Verwood Station, Verwood in Kelly's 1915 edition.
Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Victoria Brickworks, Hebburn, Newcastle-upon-Tyne. The London Gazette for 22 September 1905 records the receivership of John Robert Robson, lately carrying on business at Victoria Brickworks, Hebburn. Photo by Mark Cranston.
In 1872 the works is listed as William & John Beddow and in 1880 it becomes just John Beddow. Beddow & Sons is recorded as making blue & red
bricks, pipes & tiles at his Victoria Brick & Tile Works,
Aldridge, Walsall in Kelly's 1896 edition through to 1940 edition.
Info by Martyn Fretwell, photo by Ray Martin.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
This may be a Beddow product but there is no record of him ever advertising his business as the Victoria Brick & Tile Co. Found near Papplewick pumping station in Notts. by Alan Murray-Rust.
Victoria Garesfield Colliery near Rowlands Gill, Tyne & Wear. The colliery brick-works started c1875 and closed 1928. After that the seggar clay from the mine was sent down to the Lily Brickworks at Rowlands Gill and thereafter all bricks had Lily on them. They were more orange in colour with a slight glaze. Info by Angela Lee.
This is a later brick c1880 which the brick houses in Victoria Garesfield were built with. This one comes complete with thumb print - there are some with a cat's paw on! VGC also produced some with a curve on one end - used around the windows and doors and an extra long one with no name on - used as a wall tie on the off-shot pantry. The main part of the houses were built 3 bricks thick.
The brick works closed c1928 and production was then at the Lilley brickworks in Rowlands Gill and those bricks stamped Lily. Photo and info by Angela Lee.
Photo by Tony Gray.
Studley is a village near Stratford-on-Avon. Photos by Frank Lawson.
The Victoria Works were owned and run by George Law and James King up to 1891. In the trade directory for 1895 James King was the only person named but in the listing for 1899 he is in partnership with Thomas L. Ridley. It continues as King and Ridley for a few years but in the entry of 1916 they are only listed as builders. Photo and info by Dennis Gamble.
The Victoria Works, Wareham was also known as the Sandford Works & production at this works first started around 1850. I have found two entries in Kelly's Brick & Tile section for this works. The 1880 listing is Sandford Cement, Artificial Stone, Brick & Sanitary Pipe Co. Ltd, Walter Mantell manager, Sandford Works, Wareham, Dorset. The 1895 listing is Sandford Pottery Co. J.H. Shaw proprietor, Sandford Pottery, Wareham, Dorset. The pottery closed in 1966 & the site is now a housing estate. A photo of a similar brick to this one is shown a BBC web page as being made by Sandford Pottery. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Link to photos of the works.
The Vigo Brick Company was named after Vigo House and area just off Bedford Road in Northampton. A brickyard was in operation there in 1830. Maps of 1847 show two 'L' shaped kilns and an early circular downdraught kiln. In 1877 the name changed to Vigo Brick & Tile Co. Ltd. By 1881 a large rectangular continuous kiln had been installed, and by 1901 there are three circular downdraught kilns clustered around the continuous. A further change in title to the Vigo Brick, Tile, Land Investment, and Advance Co. Ltd. comes by 1894. The works closed shortly after 1910 and the site became a tannery.
Trade directories would suggest G. VInt & Bros, Green Lane, New Wortley, Leeds1877. Found at Fulneck, Pudsey, West Yorkshire. Image PRBCO.
Found in a reclaimed roofing yard near Aberdeen by Ian Suddaby.
A modern firebrick, photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Charles Vining is listed at his brickyard in Lower Kingston, Yeovil in trade directories for 1830 and 1842 after which his son Richard continued the business for a while. Info by Bob Osborn who has written more about Charles Vining. Photo by Brian Murless, archivist of the Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society. More information about brickworks in Yeovil can be found on Bob Osborn's website.