"Old Bricks - history at your feet"

Northern Ireland


Annadale Brick Co Ld

The Annadale Brick Company was first registered as leasee of the site in 1888; the brickworks were located roughly between the Annadale Embankment and Carolan Road (the site is now occupied by Wellington College). The fortunes of the company appeared to decline rapidly and by 1931 the site was abandoned, but thousands of their bricks are still to be found in houses across Belfast and Northern Ireland. Photo by David Ward.

Photo by Stephen Davey.


Belfast

Photo by Stephen Davey.


Castle Espie

There is a WWT Nature reserve situated on the western shores of Strangford Lough, County Down, Northern Ireland. The present lakes on the site were former brick pits and this brick is from the old workings there.  Photo and info by Richard Symonds.


Hay Park Brick Works Co

Photo by Stephen Davey.

The Ulster General Advertiser, July 6, 1861.
New Perforated Imperishable Brick, Drain Pipe and Tile Works. Hay Park, Ormeau Road, Belfast.
James Wallace begs to announce that his New Works are now complete, and wishes to call the attention of Architects, Builders, Contractors, and others to the very Superior Quality of his New Perforated Imperishable Brick, which he warrants to withstand frost and rain without injury.

Photos of the works in 1910 can be found here.


Lagan Vale Estate Brick & Terra Cotta Works Limited, Belfast



Photos by David Ward.


Laverty



Laverty & Co. operated the Albert Brickworks in Carrickfergus, Co. Antrim, until c. 1950. Photo and info by James Rutherford.

J McDonald, Dundalk



Photos by David Ward.


S McGladery & Son



Samuel McGladery & Son Ltd. made bricks at various sites in and around
Belfast between 1859 and 1970. Photo and info by George Rutherford.

Photo by David Ward.

Photo by Stephen Davey.


Musgrave & Co, Belfast





Musgrave & Co. Belfast primarily made stoves of all sizes for the home or larger buildings, heating apparatus, stable fittings & high-class ironwork. These fireclay bricks were made to line their stoves. Found on the web a reference referring to an advice note for the company to supply Thomas Daws of Robertsbridge with pipework, bricks & fireclay for a stove in November 1898.  Info & Photographed at Bursledon Brick Museum by Martyn Fretwell.

This is a hard paving brick.  Almost certainly made in Staffordshire.

This one was found in Cobridge, Stoke on Trent by Ken Perkins.

Both the above bricks were probably made in North Staffordshire for Musgrave Brothers of St. Ann's Ironworks, Belfast (later Musgrave & Co Ltd), who included improved stable pavings in their catalogue of fittings for stables, cow stalls, and piggeries. Thanks to Mark Cranston for the information.


J F Newell

J F Newell, Ormeau Brick Works, Belfast. Photo by Stephen Davey.


Prospect Brick Works

Another Belfast brickworks. Photo by Stephen Davey.


A Sloan



"Andrew Sloan & Co., fire-brick and tilemaker, Bridge end, Ballymacarrett" is listed in trade directories from 1852 to 1877. Ballymacarrett, Co. Down, became absorbed into Belfast. Photo and info by George Rutherford.

Ulster Fire Clay



The S K stands for Schiedel Kaminwerke.  Found on a beach in Ayrshire.  Photo by courtesy of  Scotland's Brick Industry.

W D H & Sons, Belfast



Photographed at Llanfair PG by Lawrence Skuse.

Next page: Coping & edging bricks

Return to the index page