Photo by Jason Stott.
Photo by Ian Castledine.
Alyn Brick Tile & Terra Cotta Co, Coed Talon. Mold, Flintshire
London Gazette 24th August 1915: - "The ALYN BRICK, TILE AND TERRA COTTA COMPANY Limited. At an Extraordinary General Meeting of the above named Company, duly convened, and held at Cathedral Chambers, Chester, on Monday, the 16th day of August, 1915, the following Extraordinary Resolution was duly passed, viz.:— " That it has been proved to the satisfaction of this Meeting that the Company cannot, by reason of its liabilities, continue its business, and that it as advisable to wind up the same, and accordingly that the Company be wound up voluntarily; and that Mr. Henry Robert Davis, of Cathedral Chambers, Chester, Accountant, be and he is hereby appointed Liquidator for the purposes of such winding-up." WALKER, SMITH and WAY, Chester, Solicitors for the Company.
This works was near Hawarden in Flintshire.
Photo by David Kitching.
Photo by David Fox.
Photo by Alan Davies.
Photos by Frank Lawson.
This is a refractory brick from the now demolished Brymbo steelworks near Wrexham.
This works was on the outskirts of Mold.
This brick was used in the construction of the 'Bowling Green Hotel, Wrexham Street, Mold, the building is currently being converted to flats, and dates from around the 1870s. Photo and info by David Rowe.
Erith is a town in North Kent and it seems an odd choice of name for a Welsh brickworks. However the name is descended from an earlier phase in Leeswood's history. Before oil could reliably be pumped from the ground, it was obtained from coal and the coal in this area had a very high oil content. For a brief period in the latter half of the 19th century, the immediate area was exploited for this rich resource and the principal company involved was the London, Erith and Leeswood Mineral Oil Company which diversified into brickmaking. The brick business lasted a lot longer than the oil business and the works finally ceased production in the 1970's.
The Ffrwd Ironworks was one of those vast Victorian enterprises that has now disappeared almost without trace. Hidden in a steep sided valley near Wrexham are the remains of an ironworks, several collieries, coke ovens and a brickworks. The complex was served by competing branchlines of the Great Western Railway and Wrexham, Mold and Connahs Quay Railway. In its early days, the works even constructed a canal to link up with a proposed extension of the Shropshire Union. The canal was abandoned, without ever being used, by 1800 - but traces of it can still be seen. Due to a trade depression, the whole complex had disappeared by the early days of the 20th century.
Made in Flintshire, history unknown.
Made at a small brickworks in Flintshire which served the country estate of the same name.
A small village near Mold, Flintshire.
Photo by courtesy of the Buckley Society.
A small colliery near Mold in Flintshire which operated from 1863 until 1886.
Mostyn is a small port on the Dee estuary in Flintshire.
Photo by Nick Carter.
Note the spelling mistake. Photographed at Corris by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo courtesy of Michael Lewis-Jones.
A small brickworks near Mold in Flintshire. A selection of some of the Ruby Brickworks products:
Photo by Ian Littlewood.
This brick was found at Dunston, Gateshead, but I know of no RUBY works in the north-east of England, so this is the likely maker. Photo by Mike Graham.
Photo taken at a reclamation yard in Tarvin, Cheshire by Martyn Fretwell.
Salvaged from the demolished Bangor Railway Institute by Jim Johnson. A record of the demolition.
Photo by courtesy of the Buckley Society.
Found at Connahs Quay, Deeside
Found in a garden at Geufron, Llangollen. Although no written evidence has been found of a works in the area the OS maps for 1898 show a small brickworks with a single circular kiln to the north-east of Tower Farm, a short distance to the west of Geufron. The kiln is not present on the 1910 map and this suggests that the works was short-lived. Photo by Roger Chapman.
John Williams, Connahs' Quay, Flintshire - Slater's North & Mid Wales Directory 1895. The works was advertised for sale in 1900 after Williams' death. Photo and info by Frank Lawson.