|Date of visit
||21 March 2004
|Limeburning at Minera is recorded from as early as 1620 but
the kilns seen here were erected by the Minera Lime Company which was established
in 1852. This bank of six large kilns was completed in the 1850's., at which
time the total output from the Minera area quarries was estimated (1859)
to be around 300,000 tons with 200,000 tons of this converted to lime.
|Inside the draw arches there is some variety in the layout
of poking-hole, draw-hole and grate.
|The top of these draw kilns has recently been cleared of vegetation.
|Looking into the pot of one kiln clearly shows the firebrick
lining and the plate around the poke-hole at the bottom where the taper
is very obvious.
Back to Wrexham limekilns
© David Kitching 2005
Page last updated 16.12.2005