|Grid Reference||SJ 25387 24278|
|© Copyright Nigel Jones and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence|
Five large running kilns.
Nantmawr Quarry lay within the lands of the Earl of Powys and prior to 1862 was leased to Samuel Morton and Morgan Jones. When they surrendered possession at the end of that year the new lease was negotiated with R.S.France esq of the Shrewsbury and North Wales Railway Co. (Potts Line). By 1870 France had demolished the old malthouse and other buildings there and had invested heavily in new workings, kilns, a tramway system and cottages for his workmen. At the same time France negotiated a lease to extend the Llanymynech - Nantmawr branch of the 'Potts' line to service the quarry. He later sold the lease of the quarry to J.Parson Smith. At the beginning of the 20th century the Lilleshall Company had two limestone quarries and works, one at Presthope, near Much Wenlock and the other at Nantmawr purchased from Parson Smith in 1899. By then there was an extensive system of tramways leading down from the rock face to the railway line with five large 'running kilns' and a smithy. Besides burning lime, the company sold limestone for blast furnace flux in steel works. Operations continued there for about 20 years and after a period of closure the quarry was re-opened and used by Amey Roadstone until it closed finally in 1977
Back to Shropshire limekilns index
© David Kitching 2015
Page last updated 29.6.2015