Location Kelhead limeworks, Annan
County Dumfries & Galloway
Grid Reference NY 14592 69215
Date of visit 18 June 2010


Kelhead Lime Works & Quarry, Annan, was established by the 1820s. By the end of the 19th century there was a bank of four draw kilns from whence the lime was taken down to the main line railway on what was described as a wagon way. Ownership was with the Kelhead Lime Co until 1922 and then the Kelhead Lime & Coal Co Ltd. The works closed in 1925 and the quarries are now flooded. Of the bank of kilns, only the base and draw arch of the southernmost kiln survives.

Back to Dumfries & Galloway limekilns index

© David Kitching 2016
Page last updated 19.5.2016