Michelmersh Brick Company, Romsey, Hampshire. Producer of both machine and handmade bricks. The company started in 1842 still operates today, other companies in the group include Charnwood, Dunton, Blockleys and Hathern Terra Cotta. Photo and info by Martyn Fretwell
Micklam colliery was in Lowca near Whitehaven, thanks to David Holmes for the photo and information.
Photographed at Hirum Walkers Distillery, Dumbarton by Ian Sinclair.
Found at Workington by Richard Cornish.
Mickley Coal Company (later NCB), Prudhoe, Northumberland. This brickworks was associated with Mickley colliery which was opened in the 1850's by Cookson, Cuthberts & Liddell and owned from the 1880's by the Mickley Coal Co. Info by Frank Lawson.
Photos by Chris Tilney.
Simon Patterson photographed this one at Avoncroft Museum
Corbridge is 16 miles west of Newcastle on Tyne.
Found in Northumbria by Mark Cranston.
Photo by Chris Tilney.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Photo by Simon Patterson.
Found in the village of Woodlands near Doncaster by Dennis Canning.
Middleton Fireclay Co Ltd., Middleton Broom Colliery, Leeds Originally the Middleton Estate and Colliery Co. Ltd. Listed in Kelly Leeds 1906 as Middleton Estate & Colliery Company, while in 1927 a Middleton fireclay Works is listed under the ownership of the M E & C C. The Middleton fireclay works became the Middleton Fireclay Co Ltd at Nationalisation in 1947 and was also part of the Leeds Fireclay Company. Info by PRBCO and Frank Lawson.
"Squint" brick. Photo by Paul Davies.
The Middleton and Tonge Brick and Tile Company Limited, Tonge Lane, Middleton, Lancashire. Tonge Lane is now Oldham Road. The works seems to have been roughly where Don Street now is. The Company only appears in Worrall's Directory of Oldham for 1875. The London Gazette, November 22, 1881 has the company to be dissolved after 3 months. It was not trading at that time. Photo by Jason Stott.
Hand stamped on the side of a wire cut brick. from the Middlewood Brick Company. Photos by David Kitching
Photo by Craig Souter.
Lancelott Allison, a mining engineer from Durham, purchased land at Middlewood near Poynton, Cheshire, in 1920 and, after attempting to mine coal there, went into brick production as The Middlewood Brick Company Ltd. The works started with Beehive kilns but later a Hoffmann continuous kiln was erected. In 1930 brickworks entrepreneur Joe Booth took over the business which was then renamed as The Cheshire Brick Company Ltd.
Midhurst Brick Co Ltd., Easebourne, Midhurst, Sussex. Kelly's Sussex Directory 1915 "M W" stands for Midhurst White and for comprehensive information on this brick & brickworks visit: - this site. Photo by Frank Lawsoncourtesy of the Bill Richardson Collection at Southwick Hall.
Made at Ackton Hall Colliery. The Midland Brick Co Ltd was formed by the National Coal Board with a number of its brickworks included. The business. which included several other works in Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire and Staffordshire, was absorbed by Butterley Building Materials Ltd in 1973. Ackton Hall colliery closed in 1984. Photo by Don Boldison.
Kelly’s 1878 to 1892 editions lists the Midland Brick Co., Birmingham as operating a brickworks on Garrison Lane. Then after the onsite clay had been exhausted on this small site bound on one side by the canal & the railway on the other, Midland’s owner Frederick Welsh Barrows by 1905 had completed the lease of two brickworks situated on Garrison Street, namely the Garrison Farm Brickworks & the Britannia Brickworks from landowner Charles Digby which had been previously been worked by the Garrison Farm Brick Co. (1895 to 1904) & John James (last listed 1884) respectively. Kelly’s 1904 to 1915 editions now lists the Midland Brick Co. at Garrison Farm & Britannia Brickworks, Birmingham with Joseph Swain as manager. Swain had previously been the manager at the Garrison Farm Works for the Garrison Farm Brick Co. Kelly’s 1915 edition lists Midland as also operating a works on Warwick Road, Solihull. With no more trade directory entries after 1915 it is unknown what year the Midland Brick Co. closed. Photos & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
The Midland Brick Co. (Wellingborough) Ltd. Mill Road, Wellingborough is listed in Kellys 1910 & 1914 editions. The works are still shown the 1950 OS map, but may have closed soon after according to an article about the re-use of the land. Today the site is part industrial & part housing. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Midland Iron Co found at Barrow Hill by Simon Patterson. The Midland Iron works was founded in Masborough, Rotherham in 1844.
The Midland Iron Co. Ltd., Midland Road, Masborough, Rotherham. Further information at - www.gracesguide.co.uk/Midland_Iron_Co . The Midland Iron Co had a brickworks in Rotherham. George C. Hague, the proprietor of The Midland Iron Company, Rotherham was also a partner in the Manvers Main Colliery Company. Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Found near Rotherham by Bob Gellatly.
Millbank Brick & Terra Cotta Co., Heywood, Lancs. Listed in Kelly 1901 and wound up in 1936. Note unusual lower case lettering used in Heywood. Photos and info by Frank Lawson.
Found by David Holmes in Millom, Cumbria. This is a product of the Millom Brick Company which was first established in 1866 at Holborn Hill, Millom. Info from Mark Cranston who supplied this newspaper article from 1866.
MILLOM BRICK. COMPANY, LIMITED.
INAUGURATION DINNER, YESTERDAY.
(BY OUR OWN REPORTER)
Yesterday, the shareholders in the Millom Brick Company, Limited, together with a few friends, celebrated the opening of their new works, by a dinner at the Station Hotel, Holborn Hill.
Previous to dining. the company visited the works, and inspected the machinery, engine, and other plant, all of which is first-class. 'The brick-making machine, which, of course, formed the chief attraction of the establishment, was described while in motion by Mr. Mathews, managing director of the company, who very kindly conducted the visitors over the premises, and explained the process of manufacture from the time when the rough clay was received into the chamber until it was delivered in the shape of bricks.
This most ingenious and wonderful machine is one of Oate's, of Birmingham, and the patent for Cumberland has been purchased by the Millom Brick Company. The modus operandi may thus be briefly described : —The clay is put into a powerful copper, in shape somewhat resembling a coffee-mill, in the inside of which is a working Archimedian screw, which presses the clay through an aperture into moveable dies. The clay is then pressed out by means of eccentric motion on to endless belts, which carry the bricks complete to a couple of boys by whom they are loaded on barrows, and taken direct to the kilns, thus obviating the necessity common to hand-made bricks of being dried for some considerable time previous to being burnt, and effecting a saving of cost in production of fully 25 per cent. as compared with the manual process. While the moveable dies are pressing the clay into the form of bricks, a certain escape of clay at the back of the machine precludes the possibility of any breakage by reason of the enormous pressure that is employed to produce bricks from raw material in little more than a second. The machine is capable of producing 2000 bricks per hour. The average quantity produced daily is 15,000, or 90,000 per week. In addition to the steam brick-making machine, there is also in the same department a powerful brick-pressing machine of the most novel construction for giving a fine finish to bricks to be used for frontal erections, and which will be found an admirable as well as cheap substitute for prepared stone. The ordinary brick, as it leaves the brick making machine close by, has only to be placed one at each end upon this pressing machine, which is also worked by steam power, and in an instant are produced two compressed bricks of the finest possible finish, one bearing the letters "M. B. Co. L.,” and the other those of “H, H.,” representing respectively the initials of the company and the name of the place of manufacture.
Steven Wood writes: the 1901 census returns show that Ben Mills lived at Horkinstone near Oxenhope, his occupation is given as farmer and fireclay merchant. He seems to have moved there from Clayton, Bradford some time after his youngest child was born in 1893. Bricks marked [B. MILLS][OXENHOPE] have been found near the brick works at Sawood, Oxenhope (Derek Barker's Denholme 2) and those at Clay Clough, Denholme (Derek Barker's Denholme 3). The brick in the photograph is from the latter. Map evidence suggests that the brick works at Sawood were active in the 1890s and those at Clay Clough from c.1900 until 1914 or later. After Ben Mills's death in 1910 two of his sons continued to work in the trade but as employees not employers.
William & Joseph Milner, Lowfields, Mirfield. List in Slater 1887 and later listed in Robinson 1904 at Taylor hall Lane, Mirfield, West Yorkshire. Info by PRBCO, image by Frank Lawson.
Found on a wall at Old Whittington Chesterfield by Simon Patterson. Martyn Fretwell writes :- George Milnes is listed as brickmaker at Mosborough, Chesterfield in Kelly's 1876 edition. This same works on Station Road is listed in White's as being owned by George Haslehurst in 1879 & then by John Lee 1887 to 1912 in Kelly's. See separate entry for George Haslehurst.
Photo by Frank Lawson.
Milnrow Brick & Tile Co., Milnrow, Rochdale. MacDonald's Directory 1879.
Milton Hall (Southend) Brick Co., Star Lane Brickworks, Great Wakering, Essex. The Star Lane Brickworks opened in 1932. The brickworks were operated by The Milton Hall (Southend) Brick Company Limited until 1984 when it was taken over by the London Brick Company. The brickworks closed in 2005. Info by Frank Lawson.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. The
Milward works was near Codnor in Derbyshire.
Martyn Fretwell adds; Jacob Milward, Redfern, Loscoe, Derbys. is recorded in Kelly's for 1888.
Thought to be: - Thomas Mitchell, Box End, Kempston, Bedford. c1853. Source - BBS Information sheet 54. Photo by David Kitching.
There was just this one brick in the garden at Buckden Towers in Cambridgshire. There may be letters lost behind the screw marks - who knows? Any ideas welcomed. Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Hamish Fenton.
Mobberley & Perry was at The Hayes, Lye, Stourbridge, West Midlands. The brickworks for building bricks was on the main Stourbridge Road in Wollacote and the Firebrick works was in Hayes Lane. George Attwood worked the brickworks until 1840, then Fisher Bros. worked the brickworks until Mobberley & Perry took over the brickworks, the works closed in the late 1960's. My thanks for this information go to Michael Raybould.
Photos by Colin Wooldridge from the John Cooksey Collection.
Front and back of Mobberley & Perry brick found on an allotment in York by Don Boldison.
Photographed at a reclaim yard in Beeston Castle, Cheshire.
Daniel Moore is listed in Kellys 1880 edition with the entry of 245, Stafford Street: stone yard & Leicester Street (offices), Walsall. The 1884 edition records the brickworks as being situated on Dark Lane (now Lincoln Road). Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Found on the seashore in Crosby, Merseyside.
Thomas Morecroft junior is listed as brickmaker at Handsacre, Armitage, Staffs. in Kelly’s 1872 to 1880 editions. Then the entry in Kelly’s 1884 to 1912 editions is Thomas Morecroft, Armitage, Rugeley. Old maps show the works was situated on the main road between Handsacre & Armitage. Kelly’s 1916 to 1924 editions then record Thomas William Morecroft at the works, possibly Thomas’ son. Seen at Apedale Museum. Info & photos by Martyn Fretwell.
Photo by Alan Hulme.
This brickworks was situated in Newtown (Now Derbyshire, but then Cheshire) on land to the north of the canal and Victoria Mill. John Morris apears in trade directories for 1871 and 1874. By 1883 the business seems to have passed to Job Silcock. The works does not appear on the 1897 OS map.
Thanks to Helena for the photo. Martyn Fretwell has done some research and writes: Morris & Shaw, Birch Coppice Colliery, also known as Hall End Colliery & Brickworks, Polesworth is recorded in Durham Mining Museum records for 1940 ( Colliery was sunk in 1878 ). In 1947 after nationalisation it became N C B Hall End.
Photo by Martyn Fretwell.
Cinderhill Brick Works was operated by Joseph Morton at Siddal Hall Lake in 1857 ( Kelly's Directory ). It was still operating in 1927 ... and beyond. Images PRBCO.
Photo by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection. Made at the Cinder Hills Brickworks near Halifax.
Front and back, photos by Mike Gregg.
Found at Bo'ness, West Lothian by Mark Cranston.
A big arc brick / radial stretcher by Joseph Morton, Cinderhills Fireclay Works, Halifax, photo by Ian Suddaby.
CO was a brand name used by Joseph Morton Ltd. of Cinder Hills Fireclay Works, Halifax. CO stands for 'Coke Oven', as they were originally intended as coke oven refractories. Info by Alan Telford, photo by David Kitching.
Thomas Mosedale & Sons Ltd manufactured bricks at their works in Flixton, Trafford which closed some years ago. The brand name now seems to lie with the Forterra business and is used for certain extruded wire cut products. Photo by Roger Woods.
The Moss brick & tile works was located just west of Moss Station. It does not appear on the 1906 OS map and is shown as disused on that for 1932. Photo by Don Boldison.
William Moss, a railway contractor of Stafford operated his Wash Lane (now Queens Road),
Nuneaton brickworks between 1874 & 1883. Moss had been engaged to lay a third track down the Trent Valley for the LNWR & in doing so produced bricks at his Wash Lane Works for the culverts & bridges that he built along the tracks route. In 1883 the two acre yard was offered for Let & it consisted of three fourteen-hole kilns, two large flame drying sheds & two occupied dwelling houses. The1886 OS map shows the brickworks as disused, so with the yard not being re-let the site was cleared and today the site is occupied by housing & industrial. Kelly’s 1876 edition lists William Moss at Gas Street, Nuneaton & at Stafford. Gas Street was the name of today’s Queen Road at the town end & it may have been where he lived because the previous owner of the brickyard, Arthur Hood lived at 7, Gas Street. The brickyard had been established by Samuel Bonner in 1867. Photo by Martyn Fretwell with Info by Martyn Fretwell & from Peter Lee’s book - Nuneaton & Bedworth Coal, Stone, Clay &
William Moss is listed as a brickmaker at Broad Street, Parkgate, Rotherham in White's 1879 edition. William is also recorded in the 1871 census as living in Lister Street, Rotherham with his wife Elizabeth & two children Sidney & Nellie. In the 1881 census he is listed as a brick & tile burner & now living near Nether Hoyland, Barnsley with the addition of two more sons, Colin & Edwin, but from a later census it appears that none of his sons followed him as brickmakers. Photo & Info by Martyn Fretwell.
Found in Worksop by Simon Patterson
Moulson, John & Sons: Henry Street, Park Lane & Birch Lane
Photos by courtesy of the Frank Lawson collection.
Moulson is a famous Bradford brick-making name; in 1866 they were based at Bowling Old Road. In the 19th century John Moulson & Sons had their builder's and stone yard in Henry Street, Bradford. The first brickworks was in Park Lane and was called Woodroyd brick works. The second works may have originally been called Birch Lane works or Park Side brick-works, but it was certainly later known as Bowling Park brick-works. It was built virtually over the Bowling tunnel. There was a large face of clay & shale in the land, in addition to much material that came out of the Bowling tunnel itself. Thanks to Derek Barker for the information.
Photo by Chris Shaw.
Mount Hill brickworks was on Court Road, Kingswood, Bristol, and was established by 1882. The business eventually expanded into extracting clay from pits on both sides of the road with an overhead crane bringing materials from the pits on the east side of the road and across into the works. It seems to have closed in the early 1950s. For many years the owner was A J Bridges. Photo by Billy Wheeler.
Mountsorrel is a village in Leicestershire on the River Soar, just south of Loughborough. Photo by Peter Harris.
This is a product of the Mow Cop Brick Co Ltd which had a works below Mow Cop Road that was established in the 1930s and closed c1972. Photo and information by David Kitching.